Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike for a 48 year old who wants to tour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

2old2ride
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:43 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: First bike for a 48 year old who wants to tour Reply with quote

Hi all. Looking at my very first bike, just got my full licence. Love the BMW R1250 but feel it would be a lot of bike. Want my comforts though... Should I be on a FZS600 for a year? Want to tour, been suggested I look at Vulcan. Many thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres loads of choice theses days. if youre touring you probably want to look at the carrying capacity of bikes youre interested in. how easy/expensive it is to get panniers for example. might be an issue with an older bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go touring in basically anything so it comes down to what appeals to you visually and what fits you comfort wise, everyone is different. I don't suggest a cruiser for touring as you'll find that in the real world the ergos don't suit a lot of people, though some will disagree.

I would suggest something in the 600-900 range since this is your first. The overall weight of the bike is the trickier thing than the power it puts out for a new rider IMO.

If you have the height then something in the middleweight adventure class is a good start, lots of versatility and will help you learn what you want from a bike. They can be a bit tricky for shorter riders though. Consider the Vstrom 650, Versys 650, Tracer 700, Tiger 800, etc.

As I said you can tour on anything if it's comfortable enough for you so go sit on lots of bikes and see what you like.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you want to tour? What's the furthest you've been on a bike?

For me at least motorway work is purgatory.. That said I do still want to tour but some days I think an open top car might be better..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

SlimRick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1200GS / R1250GS don't feel like a big bike once you're on them. The boxer engine gives it a low centre of gravity and great balance.
(I might be slightly biased)

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 years old these days can either mean young and fit, or portly and aching. I know people in both camps and anywhere in between.

What about the R1250 attracts you? I presume you mean the GS variety, is it the looks?

Honestly the R1250 is a bit of a beast, it's eye wateringly quick compared to anything you'll have ridden before, it is also huge in comparison to most bikes, and honestly a bit overkill for most situation. Something to aspire to in a year or two for certain, but I would not recommend it as a first bike.

I love the FZS600... a true all rounder for sure, nimble in the city, great in the lanes, capable loaded up with luggage, but an outright tourer it was not. Plenty of better options between there and the R1250

My personal recommendation? Some flavour of VFR800.

The more modern ones have all the mod-cons you would want. You can get the standard sports tourer version, or the crossrunner which has more of the "adventure bike" aesthetic along the lines of the GS. Both will handle touring with no issue at all.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
48 years old these days can either mean young and fit, or portly and aching. I know people in both camps and anywhere in between.

Lot of wisdom in your observation, but your recommendation VFR...wow. I was 57 when I got my first VFR; it remains to this day my most favorite bike ever due to its performance capability, economy of operation relative to performance, and range. But I would not recommend it to anyone for their first bike. That's like recommending a Corvette to someone with a brand new driver license. Personally, I disagree. The VFR is way too much bike for a new rider. Thinking

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power-wise it's fine - but in terms of weight, haha. Sod that. Better off getting a hornet - same power, two-thirds the wait.

Probably most of the drops and damage for those not familiar with bigger bikes are going to happen in and out of the garage, or when parking up. The lighter a bike is, the easier those accidents are to avoid.

Back to power for a second - the v-tech viffers can bite your arse, apparently. E.g. roundabouts and such like. Sudden step in power.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 03:51 - 15 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfff. Why come and and ask a question then not stick around to acknowledge the answers.? 'pect they weren't what you wanted to
hear. Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
c_dug wrote:

Lot of wisdom in your observation, but your recommendation VFR...wow. I was 57 when I got my first VFR; it remains to this day my most favorite bike ever due to its performance capability, economy of operation relative to performance, and range. But I would not recommend it to anyone for their first bike. That's like recommending a Corvette to someone with a brand new driver license. Personally, I disagree. The VFR is way too much bike for a new rider. Thinking

I owned one of the V-tec 800's and an R1200GS, I'd have recommended the 800 over the GS every single time. To me the difference is that with the 800 you need to really wind it on to go fast, you have to want it and push for it, whereas the GS has whomping great big dollops of GO from very low input, add in the weight and height and it's a very different beast. At least in my experience.

Funnily enough I actually really didn't enjoy my time with a VFR all that much, it was almost too capable, I think I need some flaws to fall in love with Laughing

Anyway, perhaps you're right, maybe it is too much for a newbie.

CB500x then?

https://www.carpimoto.it/Images/Products/Zoom/Givi_PLO1171CAM_Honda_CB500X_LS1171.jpg

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

As someone who actually had one as my very first big bike, I would respectfully disagree. On my first ride, while it seemed to have limitless amounts of power when you really revved it, it also seemed happy at any speed and any revs, nimble without being twitchy, stable without being lazy, and overall, incredibly friendly. I never ever felt scared by it, even on my very first ride.

Though I suppose I should qualify that by saying I'd been riding 125s for 4 years when I got it. And it was a last gen 750, not a VTEC one.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd want to know what your definition of "touring" is first. Nathan Millward did 23,000 miles on a CT110. Walter Muma did 11,500 on a Mobylette. Our own Stinkwheel did 9,500 miles around the UK on an Enfield 350.

What are you carrying? You can tour with a credit card and toothbrush, or you can do a Ewan and Charlie and have the full backup crew.

What roads are you going on? Do you need real offroad capabilities? Or is it 99% tarmac?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IybYgZM9izvdsTm/giphy.gif
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the vtec step is over exaggerated. Unless a bike is needing some maintenance or setting up. Noticable certainly when the bike is cold but it's never caused me to wobble. I found the vfr easy to handle as a newbie, heavy at slow speed but well balanced and intuitive in its handling. Plenty power but you need to access it deliberately.

The weight might end up with a drop though.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I think I'd want to know what your definition of "touring" is first. Nathan Millward did 23,000 miles on a CT110. Walter Muma did 11,500 on a Mobylette. Our own Stinkwheel did 9,500 miles around the UK on an Enfield 350.

What are you carrying? You can tour with a credit card and toothbrush, or you can do a Ewan and Charlie and have the full backup crew.

What roads are you going on? Do you need real offroad capabilities? Or is it 99% tarmac?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IybYgZM9izvdsTm/giphy.gif

Answer these questions and you'll get better recommendations.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 231 days between these two posts...
krishay.baxter This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://giffiles.alphacoders.com/180/180077.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
befonoy44 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1