Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Late claim following accident

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:56 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Late claim following accident Reply with quote

Mrs stinkwheel had a collision on her bike over a year ago. She stopped at the scene and provided her name and address. She reported it to her insurance as soon as she got home.

We heard nothing more about it until a letter arrived today claiming for the damage to the car. I've not seen it yet and obviously it'll be passed straight to last years insurance company but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of how they handle this kind of thing so long after the incident?

The accident itself was fairly minor. Mrs stinkwheel was overtaking a car on her CBR600 which started to turn right into a farm entrance as she was alongside it. She genuinely can't remember if it was indicating or not (and actually was so shaken up about it, she couldn't even remember where exactly it happened when we drove down the same piece of road the following day to see what the layout was like).

They had a glancing side-to-side collision, she bounced off the side of the car and came to a controlled stop at the side of the road. She didn't fall off the bike. There was minor scuffing on her plastics which rubbed out with t-cut and the left hand footpeg was sheared off. She had a slightly bruised foot but her altbergs did their job. Fixed the bike for £25, foot was back to normal in a couple of days. I can't see there being a huge amount of damage to the car although I suppose the footpeg might have done a number on a body panel.

I did take photos of the bike before cleaning it up and fixing the footpeg.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the indicator was on it doesn't make it OK to turn into the path of anyone passing, at a normal junction there would be more blame attached to anyone overtaking there.
At best/worst it would be a 50-50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper bike boots are good, aren't they. I had a long telephone conversation with White Dalton (very helpful firm) when I had a lot of trouble dealing with insurance firms after someone, failing to give way as road signs required, rammed into the side of my bike from a side road. The gist of it was that the insurance companies were short-staffed for a long time because of the coronavirus chaos, and were dealing with massive backlogs of cases, which meant that anything that wasn't an ongoing and continuous potential cost in the event of their insured being at fault, e.g. hire bikes and the like, was just put on the backburner and ignored as low-priority. The courts had issued new guidance extending the insurance companies' response times and the part 36 (pre-action) stuff as well. In my case, I had a lot of trouble getting my insurer and the other party's insurer to do anything at all. I was informed it would have been no trouble and they would all be highly responsive if I'd accepted a hire bike or reported an injury. It took a long, long time to finally sort out that mess.

The main question I would have in your case is, when was the damage assessment and quantum inspection by an auto engineer carried out? Because it's clearly been done if their insurance company is making a claim, and a year is a long time to leave it. Could the damage have been caused since the initial incident, and does their account of the incident conflict with your wife's, and is the damage consistent with one account or the other? Anyway, someone more knowledgable who knows the ins and outs about all that stuff will probably be able to fill you in on that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A letter from whom? The other party, their insurance company or yours?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:33 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A letter from whom? The other party, their insurance company or yours?

That. Was the right question.

It would appear to be a letter from something called the County Court Business Centre.

It all seems extremely shady. I would have sworn it was a mob of shysters masquerading as an official court but then it appears they are on the .gov website and are some part of the court system.

It's effectively short-circuiting the small claims process attempting to exclude the actual county court. It also looks like a personal claim, not via an insurance company.

Thing is, this is the first we've heard of it. It looks like what they've sent us is effectively a letter before action but it's asking, among other things, for an outline of the defence we'd be proposing to make. I need to have a much better look at it all tomorrow but I think we'll pop into the CAB for advice.

This is the very first we've heard about this. I strongly suspect the other party didn't have insurance, otherwise surely this would have been going through their insurance?

So plan is CAB advice on how to respond then put it in the hands of her insurance. Also check MOT data and MIB to see if their car was legal at the time.

Holy fuck this CCBC is a rabbit hole and a half! https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/ccmcc.aspx

They are getting fucked off because liability is disputed and their valuation has not been agreed, given sight of or even discussed and this is the first communication on the subject we have received.

I'm also tempted to tell the police I have a written statement from the driver, issued through the courts that this vehicle was on the road at the date and time in question and that I suspect it was uninsured at that time.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:53 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For completeness, it now appears this is where the accident happened. The car turned right into the unmarked, un-signed junction just ahead of this point as she was overtaking. It's an NSL A-road.

I would, -and have in the past- gone for an overtake here.

https://goo.gl/maps/CasmYwC5mkFzKyq78

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there was no indication from the other party otherwise wifey wouldn't have made the maneuver, very poor obsevation by the othe party.

Sounds like a fishing party, if it was a true claim it would go through insurance and not a personal claims thing. Sounds like the other party has dodgy insurance or could have such a high premium that they dare not claim and want to hide it. Go through your insurance and tell them you think it's fraudulent so that they will look at it in depth. Not too late to counter claim either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:23 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Not too late to counter claim either.

Although the £25 footpeg and 50p of t-cut hardly seems worth it. Laughing

Yeah, we'll see how the insurance company wants us to reply is probably best. It's going to be their money after all.

I can't see how it would go better than 50:50 in their favour going through the insurance. An accident while overtaking is always a bit iffier but Mrs stinkwheel is an advanced driver and isn't in the habit of poor obs when overtaking.

Rule 180 seems pertinant though:

Quote:
Rule 180

Wait until there is a safe gap between you and any oncoming vehicle. Watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians and other road users. Check your mirrors and blind spot again to make sure you are not being overtaken, then make the turn. Do not cut the corner. Take great care when turning into a main road; you will need to watch for traffic in both directions and wait for a safe gap.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:57 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

County Court Business Centre.

I would ignore.

If it took them a year to make a claim then there is obviously no rush.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you do know they haven't damaged it AGAIN in the past year and and trying to stick it on the missus? Tell em to Foxtrot Oscar - they had their chance.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:59 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wee mate had a similar accident the other day with only the 2 car passengers as witnesses.
He's now been charged with careless driving for the overtake even though they swung into a junction without indicating while he was passing.
Charged with leaving the scene as well cause the 2 of them started roughing him about so he walked of to make his phone calls etc.

As for this, this sounds like someone chancing their mitt.
CAB sharpish methinks.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the centralised small claims court (the money claim online thing) then don't ignore it! It's effectively the same as getting a small claims document from your local court. Pay careful attention though of the addresses and double check anything requested is going back to an actual court and not some solicitor or para-legal rep for the other party. If it is from the online claims site you should have the option to log on to a dot gov website rather than posting anything back.

What's happened here I suspect is either the other party has read some article online or been prompted by one of those "have you had an accident in the last X years..." scam callers. (Who out of these two generated the claim is a moot point now.) And what they've done is think they can short-circuit everything, sue your arse and ride off into the sunset. It sounds like they have skipped the formal process of politely asking you for the money in an official letter first - this is to your advantage.

Assuming the paperwork is correct then if it was me - and I'm not a legal expert so take this all with a pinch of salt - then I'd come back with the following...

Defence: you have checked your records and believe the other party was actually at fault. That you have photographic evidence of the damage to your own vehicle. (I probably wouldn't go into the full detail of the circumstances of the incident at this stage but get that ready.) Point out that no communications have been received prior to the claim. That you will countersue for your own repairs (don't go nuts with this, as in labour @ £1000 per hour) if you don't have receipts that's fine as you can drop in a dig from it being ages ago. Finally, and this is crucial when you get the option to do it, that you want to move the claim to your local court as is your right as a defendant. Oh, and if you see a box for mediation tick that as well!

Don't put in anything that isn't essential like opinions on the plaintiff being a git or ruminating on why you didn't claim yourself - you reported it to your insurance company and that's enough and you could say that to a magistrate, not that I think it'll get that far.

After that I would guess it'll go two ways: the plaintiff is a moron and either fails to follow up on the paperwork or realises this is all too much work (as you don't look like you'll just roll over) and it'll get thrown out. Or they carry on to the next stage which is examination of the case by a local magistrate.

I would guess (from my experience) the magistrate will not like the cheeky antics from the other side and throw the whole thing in the shredder which is generally what they do where there's no obvious winner. Don't get butt-hurt that your own counter-claim goes in the bin as well you should view it more as a tactical move than a way to claw some money back.

One other thing you might get is some solicitor or other non-court communication from the plaintiff, something along the lines of "we're going to sue you into the ground, why not take this here discount we are now offering to make this go away..." Stand firm and point out you have a counter-claim and why don't they in fact pay you to go away as you feel you have a strong position. Surprisingly this does sometimes work Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:00 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the first thing to say is, your were insured thrid party, he was given the details and so was your insurance company. He is sueing the wrong person.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:18 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to reply to these documents because it appears that if they're ignored, it will lead to a summary judgement against us.

I don't have access to them now, going to have a good look this evening when I'm not on call. Hopefully there is a mechanism for putting the insurance company in charge of further administration of the claim. After all, they employ people whose sole job is wriggling out of paying out money by any means necessary.

I'll be highly entertained if it turns out they were either uninsured or haven't told their insurance company. They probably don't realise that as soon as we tell our insurance company, they'll be straight onto the industry database logging the incident against both parties. At which point their insurance company will presumably want to know why they weren't told about an accident that resulted in a claim for damage in excess of £2k.

I'm minded to be a total dick about this providing Mrs stinkwheel agrees, purely because of the way they have chosen to handle it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:28 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass it over to her insurance company and let them reply.

Be a total dick about it and fuck the other party around but don't make her insurance company unhappy at the same time. Laughing

I very much agree with what xX-Alex-Xx said about how they might have damaged it again. It will be interesting to see what damage they're saying is from a glancing side-to-side collision with a motorbike over a year ago. Pass the popcorn

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:46 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought. Did your wife's policy include legal protection?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:51 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Just had a thought. Did your wife's policy include legal protection?

Legal protection or cover isn't for defense purposes.

The insurance company will have solicitors who'll deal with it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can say against getting the insurance company involved is if it went down the route of 50/50 and then you have a mark against your own insurance. While you do have to inform your insurance company of incidents they take a professional interest in (which you've already done) you're not actually forced to make a claim against the policy.

Persuading the courts to shred the claim might be more cost effective in the long term although it is a bit more of a gamble, it depends on how one feels about the skill of the other side.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:50 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all well and good but there is a reason why they aren't going after the insurance company. Either they weren't insured or Mrs Stinkers' insurance company had dismissed their claim.

Either way they are fucked.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:01 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How so?

They've contacted the driver who is meant to then pass it to their insurance company.

Makes no difference if they weren't insured and I'd expect her insurance to have been in contact if a claim had been made against her.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:04 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame the MIB database isn't retrospective. The MOT one is though so we'll definitely be checking that.

I also feel a little light social media stalking coming on because it's amazing what idiots will post on public profiles.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:18 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How so?

They've contacted the driver who is meant to then pass it to their insurance company.

Makes no difference if they weren't insured and I'd expect her insurance to have been in contact if a claim had been made against her.

Which was done. Insurance details provided and insurance company informed. What more is Mts Stinkers supposed to do?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:22 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Insurance details provided

Where does it say that?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, gave name and address and no further contact from them. If they don't get in touch to get the details that's their lookout.

Now they have, just refer them to the insurance company.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly relevant 'twas a long time ago ('97)..

In Spain in a VW camper, similar thing undertook a car sitting in the center of the road stationary indicating left (foreign remember) car changed direction without indicating right and cut in front - more than a glancing blow and El Grandma in the back of the Opel Corsa had quite a jolt.

Anyhow I was categoric it was their fault but they were minded it was mine. gave insurance details to teh law explained my version and buggered off. some months later back home I received a letter from 'Macallistor Investigation' or some such outfit wanting their day in court. I wrote back saying it was categorically not my fault
and in fact they could pay for my repairs if they wished. There may have been a nit more to-ing and fro-ing but when they didn't get an easy bite they stopped bothering me.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3