Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I did a classically embarrassing 1 2 on the bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:09 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: I did a classically embarrassing 1 2 on the bike Reply with quote

Well it had to happen at some point, minder cable or not, I was enthusiastically speaking with my colleague as I got on the bike, moved a meter, and fell to the left as the disc lock touched caliper while turning. After much embarrassment and "I'm alright thanks, just my pride hurts", got on, started the bike, set off 5 meters, off camber right turn, bike stalls, 2mph slow motion drop to the right. Sorry ninja.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH f me. Nothing broken, just a pair of scuffs, but now I can't say it's pristine and never dropped!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow speeds, distraction, awkward cambre - key elements for disaster.
The real classic is falling over in garage or drive at home
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Slow speeds, distraction, awkward cambre - key elements for disaster.
The real classic is falling over in garage or drive at home
Or stopping in an dark unlit front drive, someone walking past stopping to speak to you as you sit on the bike. The chat goes on for a while and then they leave. You casually lean the bike over on to the side stand you think you have put down earlier. You and your bike fall over on their sides, taking next door's flimsy fence with you.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parked on a verge next to the chapel at Burythorpe a couple of months ago. Lid on the grass next to bike. Ground felt very firm everywhere. Problem was I hadn't quite taken into account the slight slope to the side, which meant my bike was leaning more than it would've on level ground. Thus meaning there was quite a bit more pressure on the side-stand's foot. I'd walked a good few yards when it finally decided to keel over - or perhaps it had been doing it very gradually from the off. In any case, over it went. I think, though, that my lid could've broken the bike's fall somewhat. In any case, I can't remember finding any damage to either bike or lid. I've got a few crushed beer cans under the seat now, for pucks. Doesn't matter then if you forget to pick it up.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:29 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hit the deck slow speed one time in the past due to forgetting the disc lock was on.

After that experience I picked up a tip from some bike mag or other - which entailed sliding a 20mm section of snug fitting rubber tube onto the disc lock key so that you can then transfer the tubing to the ignition key after fitting the disc lock - so I can't start the bike without removing the tubing from the ignition key which obviously tells me the disc lock is still on.

I also position the disc lock on the disc so that it's practically kissing the caliper - which means that if I do forget it's on the bike the wheel is not going to move forward any more than an inch - so much less chance of hitting the deck or damaging the disc/caliper.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:10 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
..... I'd walked a good few yards when it finally decided to keel over - or perhaps it had been doing it very gradually from the off. In any case, over it went....

Aargh yes that... Did similar last week, about a fortnight after getting it. opened the gate rode through, put it on the stand, turned around to shut the gate, and heard a crash. I've still not worked out what happened, it was either :

1, The slope inside the gate was just steep enough for it to roll forward.
2. I didn't actually put the stand down, and just put it into neutral and walked away, which I can't see, because I'm pretty sure it would have gone over before I'd turned around and taken a few steps.

So I'm betting on 1, and being careful to turn as I go through the gate to lowering the tendancy to roll forward. Amazingly only bend the clutch lever which I carefully bent back, and cracked a plastic handle grip end cover, which'll get replaced when I get my heated grips later in the year.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
..... I'd walked a good few yards when it finally decided to keel over - or perhaps it had been doing it very gradually from the off. In any case, over it went....

Aargh yes that... Did similar last week, about a fortnight after getting it. opened the gate rode through, put it on the stand, turned around to shut the gate, and heard a crash. I've still not worked out what happened, it was either :

1, The slope inside the gate was just steep enough for it to roll forward.
2. I didn't actually put the stand down, and just put it into neutral and walked away, which I can't see, because I'm pretty sure it would have gone over before I'd turned around and taken a few steps.

So I'm betting on 1, and being careful to turn as I go through the gate to lowering the tendancy to roll forward. Amazingly only bend the clutch lever which I carefully bent back, and cracked a plastic handle grip end cover, which'll get replaced when I get my heated grips later in the year.

If you park the bike facing down any slope, no matter how slight, there's the chance that it's going to roll off the stand - unless you're extremely careful. And - AND - even if you snick it up into first gear, it can still happen - especially on steep inclines. The reason it can still happen is because that little bit of slop between teeth in the gears can amount to an inch or two movement of the bike itself, and - on steep slope - that's easily enough for the bike to roll off the side stand. You MUST let the bike move forward those few inches or so, in order to make sure it has no more movement left to make in the meshing of those gears - even though, it being in first, those gears have the finest teeth in the box. Fine as they are, they can still create an inch or two movement of the bike in a forwards direction, if it's steep.

It happens in the dales and north yorks moors where there's gated grazing and the lane is heading down a hill to the gate. People think they've done everything right. Halted on the rear brake, clutch in, selected first, turned ignition off, dismounted, put the side stand down, let the bike settle - but not anticipated that inch or two forward motion and suddenly, the side stand is retracting and they're trying to deal with 220kg of weight on what's probably a fairly curved crown camber and a steep gradient. Bad news.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:14 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the stories guys, cheered me up!

Droog wrote:
I also position the disc lock on the disc so that it's practically kissing the caliper - which means that if I do forget it's on the bike the wheel is not going to move forward any more than an inch - so much less chance of hitting the deck or damaging the disc/caliper.

Very good suggestion. This once I actually out it on the opposite, so the wheel had a full turn in it!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my best ones was showing someone how to ride slowly and improve confidence at lower speeds, and afterwards coming to a stop only to get my bootlace wrapped up on the peg and promptly dumping the bike cos I couldn't put my foot down Embarassed Yeah that's what happens on one of the few times when you wear regular work boots instead of motorcycle boots.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good time to start this thread!

Last Monday I took my daughter (12) out for a ride on my newish to me bike in the evening. Got 45mins into the Peaks and decided to do a U-turn on a private road then head back home.
Not quite being used to the top heaviness of the bike, plus having just brimmed the tank, and having her on the back I started to lose it to the right. Managed to stop, my foot then slipped a bit and after that the bike was just too heavy to keep upright and down we went. Must have looked very amusing to any onlookers being done in such slow motion, but then I got my left foot stuck and had to do a fall/roll off instead of stepping off as I'd hoped!
We were both fine, the bike has crash protectors so no damage other than a couple of small scrapes on those.

It didn't finish there... In spite of getting to the engine cut out soon as it went over, and lifting the bike straight back up. There was a large patch of oil on the road. I didn't want to risk starting the bike again in case I damaged it with not enough oil, so ended up calling the breakdown out.
This is where it all went wrong. I was told 60-90mins, then texted an ETA of an hour... 4 hours later I was finally picked up and taken home from the middle of the countryside, where I'd been waiting in pitch black thunderstorm rain weather. Evil or Very Mad
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
What a good time to start this thread!

Last Monday I took my daughter (12) out for a ride on my newish to me bike in the evening. Got 45mins into the Peaks and decided to do a U-turn on a private road then head back home.
Not quite being used to the top heaviness of the bike, plus having just brimmed the tank, and having her on the back I started to lose it to the right. Managed to stop, my foot then slipped a bit and after that the bike was just too heavy to keep upright and down we went. Must have looked very amusing to any onlookers being done in such slow motion, but then I got my left foot stuck and had to do a fall/roll off instead of stepping off as I'd hoped!
We were both fine, the bike has crash protectors so no damage other than a couple of small scrapes on those.

It didn't finish there... In spite of getting to the engine cut out soon as it went over, and lifting the bike straight back up. There was a large patch of oil on the road. I didn't want to risk starting the bike again in case I damaged it with not enough oil, so ended up calling the breakdown out.
This is where it all went wrong. I was told 60-90mins, then texted an ETA of an hour... 4 hours later I was finally picked up and taken home from the middle of the countryside, where I'd been waiting in pitch black thunderstorm rain weather. Evil or Very Mad

..and so

1) was they any oil leak damage?
2) how was the reception from Mrs Feasty when you arrived home 4 hrs late?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
There was a large patch of oil on the road.

It was probably already there and that's why your foot slipped Very Happy

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

..and so

1) was they any oil leak damage?
2) how was the reception from Mrs Feasty when you arrived home 4 hrs late?

The recovery company (GEM) said depending on the 'recoverer' I might not be able to ride in the truck, or I'd at least need a mask. And since there was at least an hours wait, I asked Mrs Feasty to come out in the car and pick my daughter up. She just wants me to be sure I'll be able to handle the bike better next time I take my daughter out.

At the time, I didn't want to ride my bike back in case the low oil damaged the engine. The EFI light was flashing on the dash, and the front brake was binding - just not worth the risk.

Hindsight:
The front brake was binding due to the hand guard being bent and pushing up against it - very quick fix! Doh!
The EFI light was flashing because I hadn't put the cut out switch back on - even quicker fix! Doh!
I've topped up the oil and realised the loss was minimal, the bike now has too much oil but no damage.
Since I've only had it a couple of weeks or so, I'll just do a full oil and filter change - just waiting for the stuff to arrive. Good practice to change the oil and I'll know in future how to change and level it.

So really, if I knew more about the bike I could probably have asked Mrs. Feasty to just bring a bottle of oil, topped it up a bit and been on my way. Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A case of 'oils well that ends well' then ?

..already got my coat on and half way through the door.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 hours?? That's not what I'd call a slick response.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:38 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 hours?? That's not what I'd call a slick response.

You are a bad man Very Happy

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Should have said "oil see myself out".

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
A100man wrote:

Should have said "oil see myself out".

^slick! Was he caught on film?

I don't bother with disklocks after two incidents. I can't be trusted to even put the correct fuel in if I get distracted.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't worry too much. I once fell off my bike while it was stationary, in the garage on two paddock stands.

I was practicing my body positioning for an upcoming track day and assumed the stands would cope with me leaning off the bike. It turns out that this is not the case and over I went into my dad's classic car.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Wouldn't worry too much. I once fell off my bike while it was stationary, in the garage on two paddock stands.

I was practicing my body positioning for an upcoming track day and assumed the stands would cope with me leaning off the bike. It turns out that this is not the case and over I went into my dad's classic car.

Maybe just go to the bowling ally next time - they've always got a motorcycle racing sit-on machine to play.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:33 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was incredibly embarrassing even though nobody saw it.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:42 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

so many similar stories.

Shoelace caught me out once too, still got a scar after the footpeg made a dent in my shin (from 30 years ago!!)

Bike stopped on drive went to shut gate... bang bike on its side <sigh>

Bursting for the toilet in Scotland, saw a public toilet last minute, turned in late.... GRAVEL!!!
Ironically the bike didn't slip, my foot did and i did a slo-motion roll

It was at that point i realised there is a knack to picking a bike up on your own, its not easy

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:14 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also helps if you don't accidentally bump the horn alerting everyone to your mistake.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:28 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also now done my first and accidental wheelie with my friend on the back. Not sure who was more shocked, me hoping not to drop it, him hanging on for own life, or other friend on his own bike. Seems all that extra weight out back makes a whole lot of difference Shocked

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:58 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped my 500 when I let the clutch out with the front brake on.

Dropped my z1000 when the side stand hadn't locked in place.

Everyone drops a bike at some point ..... the only variable is the size of the audience.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2