BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuck bolt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Stuck bolt Reply with quote

OK OK it's a bolt that's not on a bike but I am hoping someone can help me out here.

Was trying to replace the discs and pads on a Vectra C. Got the rear done first as they were the ones that would fail the MOT, moved to front left and couldn't get the big Torx E20 bolts on the caliper bracket to budge at all.

First I tried using my go-to short 3/8" ratchet that I used for the two rear ones. Nothing, couldn't get it to move. "All right then mate" me thinks, so I get a 20cm long bit of pipe I keep around as a cheater bar and ... nothing no budging at all.

Right, gloves are coming off now boys. Give is a few shots of penetrating oil, leave a few mins then another few shots of penetrating oil. Get my big 1/2" impact wrench onto it with a 1/2" E20 socket. Rattle rattle rattle rattle still neither the top or bottom bolt budge.

"Fuck you cunt" is now on my mind, instead of using just the jack, I put the fucker up on axel stands now so I can put some oomph into it. Get out the long breaker bar and give it everything I could. Still nothing.

What the fuck do I do now boys? If I get out the oxyacetylene torch and head the caliper bracket will that be enough to expand off the bolt a little? If I go down that route there's a good chance I am going to burn some of the wires, hoses or rubbers so I want to avoid that if I can.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:26 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing lefty loosy aren't you?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You are doing lefty loosy aren't you?

Embarassed no I totally forgot that you turn it left to loosen it and was turning it righty-tighty the whole time Embarassed

Mad I did actually try to turn it right a couple times just incase alternating left-right would break the rust up a little bit

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had a point, caliper bolts usually have the head facing away from you so where you would normally turn the wrench anti-clockwise from your perspective you'd need to go clockwise for those to loosen.

Seen it many times, actually sheared the exhaust manifold bolts on my dad's Bedford TK when I was 13 doing it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
He had a point, caliper bolts usually have the head facing away from you so where you would normally turn the wrench anti-clockwise from your perspective you'd need to go clockwise for those to loosen.

Seen it many times, actually sheared the exhaust manifold bolts on my dad's Bedford TK when I was 13 doing it.

Crying or Very sad I know I have a penchant for doing retarded things but I know to take account of the fact the bolt is facing away from me Laughing give me some credit guys Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer PlusGas to WD40 but equally, turning the right way also helps Very Happy

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a stuck bold on my car suspension before and had to use a long bar stuck over a breaker bar for more leverage, so give that a go. Just be careful not to sheer it off I guess.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra leverage with longer bit of pipe over it, shock it with a hammer too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I've had a stuck bold on my car suspension before and had to use a long bar stuck over a breaker bar for more leverage, so give that a go. Just be careful not to sheer it off I guess.

I thought of that, the problem is it was a nightmare getting in-and around with the current breaker bar. I will try getting it up on the maximum height on the stands and have a go again with a bit of pipe on the bottom of the breaker bar.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:01 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you jack it up, set the breaker bar against the ground and slowly lower the jack?

Something would have to let go eventually...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Could you jack it up, set the breaker bar against the ground and slowly lower the jack?

Haha so when I report back tomorrow how I managed to tip the car Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:03 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Probably my bowels if it were me attempting it because I can imagine having to explain to Mrs Bastard why there's now a breaker bar shaped hole in the floor of the car....

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a front sprocket nut that had the huge breaker bar bending and laughed at the air impact gun attack. Then I gave the nut 15 seconds with a hot air paint stripper gun and tried the air impact wrench again. It came off so quickly I ended up jumping in shock and flinging the nut across the garage. After the heat I think I could easily have managed with just the breaker bar.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
I had a front sprocket nut that had the huge breaker bar bending and laughed at the air impact gun attack. Then I gave the nut 15 seconds with a hot air paint stripper gun and tried the air impact wrench again. It came off so quickly I ended up jumping in shock and flinging the nut across the garage. After the heat I think I could easily have managed with just the breaker bar.

I would love to put some heat on it but the problem is heating a bolt expands the bolt and makes it harder to remove from the colder calliper bracket. Heating the calliper bracket should make it easier to remove the bolt. Problem is that there is ABS sensor, wire, cv joint boot, brake hose, brake piston boot, etc in the immediate vicinity to be heated.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a contact heater tool. Think it's an induction coil heater

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:00 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were supposed to heat the bolt.

Every video including heating it's the bolt.....

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loctite do a combination penetrating oil/freeze agent spray. I've had success with it in the past.

https://amazon.co.uk/Loctite-8040-Freeze-Release-400ml/dp/B002T96D1U

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

I would love to put some heat on it but the problem is heating a bolt expands the bolt and makes it harder to remove from the colder calliper bracket. Heating the calliper bracket should make it easier to remove the bolt. Problem is that there is ABS sensor, wire, cv joint boot, brake hose, brake piston boot, etc in the immediate vicinity to be heated.
I'd wrap something heat proof around them and still give it ago, but if you're not keen, how about an impact driver then, the type you use a hammer on. Had to use one on a centre stand bolt that I couldn't move with a breaker bar when I was fitting a bash plate bracket a few weeks ago.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

You do heat the bolt. Rust expands to (up to) 14 times the volume of the material that rusted to create it so heating the bolt expands the bolt into the rust-filled thread then as soon as you remove the heat it shrinks but the rust doesn't expand back out to grip it.

That's the principle that makes it so effective. You've basically created some clearance using the power of expansion.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

You do heat the bolt. Rust expands to (up to) 14 times the volume of the material that rusted to create it so heating the bolt expands the bolt into the rust-filled thread then as soon as you remove the heat it shrinks but the rust doesn't expand back out to grip it.

That's the principle that makes it so effective. You've basically created some clearance using the power of expansion.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:12 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a can of MAAP and a blow-torch from Bastirts & Queers.

(And a fire extinguisher)

Heat the kunt Cherry Red.
Torx the fuk out of it.

Fite the temptation to tool it whilst cherry red... It will probably twist the heid aff. Shocked

It's a cost/value exercise now.

Cost to remove v Cost to replace.

p.s. Are you certain that you are loosening in the correct direction.

Lefty-Loosy Righty-Tighty. Razz

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

I assume you have removed the actual caliper from the caliper holding bracket that is held on via the torques bolt and hung it up out of the way ?

This will allow better access to the torques bolt and where it screws into the hub.

I am sure you can concoct some sort of heat shield to protect the vulnerable stuff.

You know of " freeze your nuts off" by Carplan, and the plumbers freeze spray ?

Good luck, once the torques head is damaged you will have a real problem...it may/will round off the drive faces in the hole.
Then it's either grind off the head or weld something to it like a big bolt or similar...

Are both torques bolts still in place or just the most awkward difficult to get to one that's problematic...post a picture dude.

Is this on a Citroen ?

Doh, you did say it's on a Vauxhall Vectra !

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will answer multiple questions at once:

1. I am clearly a retard because I honestly didn't think it was the bolt itself to be heated but now seems clear as day all along regarding the rust expansion! Embarassed I will give it a go.

2. I already tried it with a swinging king-dick impact wrench (DeWalt DCF899P2).

3. I did remove the actual caliper by removing the two locking bolts that fit inside sleeves (think they are female recessed Torx 27) and moved the caliper out the way by zip tying it up to the spring.

4. I can confirm that no matter how retarded you all think I am, I am not retarded enough to not know lefty-loosy-righty-tighty Embarassed Crying or Very sad

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got rust. Age. And apparently threadlock ( according to the interweb)

The exact correct size tool with an appropriate lever and Heat is your friend.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
You've got rust. Age. And apparently threadlock ( according to the interweb)

The exact correct size tool with an appropriate lever and Heat is your friend.

I will try it tonight when I get home. Will get the oxyacetylene heating torch onto the head of the bolt. Will protect the stuff behind using some Knauf Earthwool and tinfoil.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2