Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM Exc 500 for greenlaning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:51 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: KTM Exc 500 for greenlaning Reply with quote

Just after some opinions really. I'm in the market for a KTM Exc for greenlaning (probably 70-140 miles in a day). I sold my last one (a 2004 Exc 400) last year, but already it's time for another.

My old exc 400 was brilliant - my first and only dirt bike, it was very smooth and predictable for a novice like me. The RFS engines are almost legendary for their reliability. I would get another one in a heartbeat however they stopped making them in 2007 so even the youngest ones are nearly 15 years old, and they are few and far between. The closest alternative would be an Exc 450 however they seem to be very popular and fetch good money. I'm also put off because I've read that compared to the old 400 they are alot sharper and more racey to ride which isn't really what I'm after. Then again I remember alot of guys in the TRF used 450s so they can't be too much of a handful. I guess for me I'd prefer something not too raspy that I can chug around on, but which also has the light weight and agility I remember the 400 had.

I've seen a few 500s and 525s within budget which look like good value. One in particular is a 2012 500 and the reading I've done suggests it would tick most of my boxes. I must admit I imagine a 500cc single race engine is going to be a snappy beast to ride but reviews do say they ride like a tractor and feel smaller than you would expect. At the moment it looks quite a good choice, but if anybody can offer advice on how they perform as greenlane bikes I'd be very grateful?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:16 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: KTM Exc 500 for greenlaning Reply with quote

Not a modern one, but people said the same about the big bore husqvarna I had; I found it a pussycat to use slowly thanks to plenty of low down grunt and a pretty smooth power delivery.
Vs says KTM200 I've had which are a lot harder work with a really peaky power delivery, a big hit as the powerband comes in.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want a freeride

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Sounds like you want a freeride

Freerides were the weapon of choice amongst the well-heeled members of the local TRF when I was briefly involved with them.

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought garth was joking?!?!

I was in my nearest KTM dealer a couple of weeks ago and the old boy that runs the place was not talking about them positively. I'm sure he said they have the same front brake as the 85cc ktm?

Alot of the TRF seem to favour the 250s and alot of them go for the 2t but knowing the amount of roadwork I will end up doing I want the 450. The old 400 I had managed fine with a numpty like me on it even in steep rocky stuff and if anything the newer EXCs are only going to be lighter and more capable.

It's a shame the CRF450L hasn't been out for longer. I think that would be the best choice but they're still only a year or two old so used prices are alot more than my budget extends to. I looked at CRF250Ls but read alot about them not being in the same league as the enduro bikes, and many stories of cooked clutches which I really don't fancy on some of the isolated mid wales lanes.

I'm off to see a 2012 450 exc this evening so will see how that goes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1