Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Least favourite bikes owned previously?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Least favourite bikes owned previously? Reply with quote

Spurred on by the other thread, lets go the other way.

Which bike do you think back on with a resounding "meh"?

For me it has to be my VFR800 Vtec.

I owned it for a year or two, did a ton of miles, commuted it daily, took it to Santa Pod, loaded it up with luggage and a pillion and did hundreds of miles painlessly, tore around the Welsh mountains probably faster than I'd have managed on any other bike I've owned.

And still.

Still.

Just meh.

I don't know why we never clicked, I don't know why I didn't like it. On paper and in practice it is a brilliant bike, but something about it just didn't sit right with me. I think it was honestly a bit too good of an all rounder, it sort of had no soul.

So, what's yours?

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

XS250, in 1983. I may have liked it a little tiny bit if it would start on a cold morning. Probably holds the record for my shortest owned bike, only had it 6 months and then part exed it for a CX500.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Least favourite bikes owned previously? Reply with quote

CB400N Superdream.

c_dug wrote:

"Meh" is a resounding understatement. Horrible thing. Gutless, Superbland, original hinge-in-the-middle handling, everything failed at once. Putting it in a skip would have done an injustice to anything else in there. The dealer who gave me £50 for it to get rid of me was mugged.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably an SV650 which I bought partly to 'economise' but I had seen one of the earlier more rounded one which sounded amazing with different exhaust on.
My pointy one was new style at the time and was harder to fit out, in the end I didn't bother I found it uncomfortable on longer runs and not happy on fast A roads compared to bigger bikes I had before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:45 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

954 FireBlade. It was exciting, but not fun. It didn't suit me. People rave about them but it was hard, unforgiving and ... well... just not fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979 BMW R100RT.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bikepics.com/Pics-Web/2004/08/28/bikepics-202568-full.jpg

Of all the bikes I've had, it's the one most likely to be a "no" to the question "Would I have one again?". Nothing particularly wrong, just found it cumbersome.

Some of the other bikes were ones I wanted to get out of my system or served a purpose at the time - glad I had them, but won't need to have another again. GT550, LS650P, CB250 Nighthawk fit that category.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX1200R

I personally hate modified bikes of any description, but something came over me while I was looking for a ZRX1200 (probably due to the lack of them around at reasonable cash) and I ended up buying a heavily modified one for a reasonable price.

It had a full akra, pod filters, fully setup to run perfectly (I will give it that, it ran sweet as a nut).
ZX9R USD front end, OEM brake calipers fitted onto some rather chunky custom machined aluminum caliper brackets
Fully floating discs which rattled like a bag of nails.
JMC rear swing arm - Beautiful in isolation
All custom spacers etc to ensure fitting of stock wheels into them.
Very wide (too wide for me anyway) and low bars which I changed to some Rethals which was slightly better.
Battery relocated so you could fit a 1 gallon bottle easy under the seat.
Ohlins rear shocks.
Corbin Seat
Who knows how many other modifications, it's hard to remember them all.

Anyway, a flexible steel tubular frame with a stiff USD front end/JMC alloy box section swing arm made it handle like a twitchy sack of potatoes, terrifying tram lining mid corner etc.

My favourite "find" shortly after buying it was the terrifying >70mph head shake on motorways....
Chased the issue down to the front brake line.....under throttle on the motorway the front end was extended and would pull the bars to the right due to some muppet installing a brake line that was too short and routed terribly.
Considering this conversion work was completed at a "proper" motorcycle machineshop/workshop" in wales, who actually used it in their photo gallery as a portfolio of work done, it was quite shocking they allowed the bike to go back to the customer like this. nothing wrong with the actual machining work I should add.

I fixed the brake line issue by re routing it, it was "just" long enough, but I could never get it to handle satisfactorily, I wish I had bought a stock one and been patient.

Lesson learnt which I won't repeat again.

I just found the link actually to the garage that completed the work.
https://www.motorcycledynobridgend.co.uk/.

The bike on the home page was mine, but it seems the gallery has gone. Images that appear to pop up in the background on occasion there are also of the bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

w650, may be? you can have fun on these, but you have to be a bit cruel - being under-square, it doesn't really take too kindly to revving - tbf, it will do it, it's just not its forte...so you potter, and pottering's fine - until you realise how bloody uncomfy that seat is

cb125td - yeah, no - wants to rev like fuck but then starts to give off grenade vibes when you do, with a thin comfort zone somewhere in the middle that often proves illusive - heavy too, for what it is

cb500 - nowt wrong with it, everything right with it...but seems to have been determinedly built around a lack of 'x' factor

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha V75A , hateful little piece of shit.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki GT500. Horrible long slow handling gutless piece of 2 stroke crap that was everything a 2 stroke shouldn't have been.

After a run of Yammy and Kwack 250 strokers I thought it would be the dog's bollocks. Turned out to be just the bollocks bit.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki X5. Fucker tried to kill me twice. I still have a scar on my wrist from the first and a crater on my knee from the second.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:21 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Suzuki GT500. Horrible long slow handling gutless piece of 2 stroke crap that was everything a 2 stroke shouldn't have been.

After a run of Yammy and Kwack 250 strokers I thought it would be the dog's bollocks. Turned out to be just the bollocks bit.

If you were expecting a rev-happy, narrow powerbanded screamer, I can see how it would have been a huge dissapointment. If you were expecting a grunty middleweight sports tourer with plenty of midrange torque and a respectable top speed, you'd have got on with it better. They were sometimes referred to as a japanese Bonneville. It was probably quickeer than your 250s, they just don't feel like they are. Try one on a top-gear 40mph roll-on uphill and you'd see what they were about.

My "never again" bike is a 600 diversion I had as a courtesy bike. Fuck that had little to recommend it. I'd rather have taken the car.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
XS250, in 1983. I may have liked it a little tiny bit if it would start on a cold morning. Probably holds the record for my shortest owned bike, only had it 6 months and then part exed it for a CX500.

Another vote for the crappy Yamaha XS 250.
I had two and neither ran right despite what I did to them.
Utilising a genuine workshop manual and friends who are much better mechanics than me, they STILL were unreliable and would let me down on a regular basis Evil or Very Mad .
The favourite thing was that they would suddenly start running on one cylinder??? For no apparent reason.
The same goes for the equally horrid XS 400 I owned.

I also had a BSA Bantam: for a 175, it was absolutely gutless.
My mates Yamaha YB 100 was quicker and a lot slicker.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Another vote for the crappy Yamaha XS 250...
The same goes for the equally horrid XS 400 I owned.

If at first you don't succeed, double down! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took three XS’s before I learnt my lesson Shocked

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to the xs250, I would like to offer up Kawasaki's offering to the gods of fucking disappointment. The Z250 twin. a heat siezing mess of utterly shite proportions. I feel Ill every time I see one now, thankfully most of them have been crushed and turned into something useful by now...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSX600F. It was a giggle, -1 front, +2 rear.

But it was made for a humpbacked midget, not a 6foot3 bloke. Killed me every time I rode the bastarding thing. Then it developed a leccy/fuel problem where it would die when it warmed up (normal, first start of the day warm up, not hot) and refuse to do anything until it got cold. Pushed it more than once. Fucked it off to a breaker... who was likewise defeated after 6+ months.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
Similar to the xs250, I would like to offer up Kawasaki's offering to the gods of fucking disappointment. The Z250 twin. a heat siezing mess of utterly shite proportions. I feel Ill every time I see one now, thankfully most of them have been crushed and turned into something useful by now...

Fortunately, I dodged a bullet on one of those when it turned up for sale last year.

Couldn't have been as bad as the Z200 single though.
That thing is rough as hell. Couldn't wait to get rid.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
virus wrote:

Fortunately, I dodged a bullet on one of those when it turned up for sale last year.

Couldn't have been as bad as the Z200 single though.
That thing is rough as hell. Couldn't wait to get rid.

It was worse. same size sump, same size woefully shite oil pump and thimble filter...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 15 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Least favourite bikes owned previously? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
CB400N Superdream.

c_dug wrote:

"Meh" is a resounding understatement. Horrible thing. Gutless, Superbland, original hinge-in-the-middle handling, everything failed at once. Putting it in a skip would have done an injustice to anything else in there. The dealer who gave me £50 for it to get rid of me was mugged.

Now I loved my Superdreams, absolutely brilliant for what I was doing, which was being a London courier.

My favourite was a 1981 example in black, with front and rear crash bars and Hagon shocks, it was solid, able to take any amount of abuse and as reliable as night following day.

I thought it was infinitely preferable to the other most popular 'small' dispatcher, the CB250RS, which I found to be a cramped, twitchy vibe monster.

Which brings me to my least favourite bike................. the CB250N Superdream Laughing

Specifically the one I bought a few years ago, a non runner that I got cheap, with a view to fettling it up a bit and reliving my youth.

Got it going in the end (even did a resto thread here) but the rose tinted glasses were quickly cast aside, when I realised it was a slow, heavy pig of a thing, that handled like a supermarket trolley.

I managed a slow and tedious run to the Ace, used it a few times to go to work on, then it let me down in the car park at Box Hill, when the new throttle cable broke.

By this time I had decided this was one chapter of my younger days that should've stayed firmly closed and, after it languished outside my gaff for a bit, it was crammed into the back of a rented Berlingo and sent off for a new life with another BCF member.

I know he bought it as a stop gap, but I never found out how briefly he had it, or what happened to it next, but if it had been a horse, the kindest thing would've been to put it out of it's misery and shoot the bastard Razz

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
It took three XS’s before I learnt my lesson Shocked

Hey, I had three of them as well, the first was 200 quid and the others 50 quid each from the breakers, cheap motoring for anyone who knew how to open up points. Laughing

My worst was a Mobylette Motobecane, so gutless you needed to use the pedals to get it up hills.

My mate had a fully faired 250 wetdream, by far the worst bike I have ever had the mispleasure to ride/work on. Thanks to that machine, it was twenty years before I dared buy a Honda.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Thanks to that machine, it was twenty years before I dared buy a Honda.

I was the same after the GT500. I never had another Suzuki until I had a hankering for a Busa, 30 years later.

A bad bike can colour your choices for an awfully long time.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'm lucky that I haven't had a glut of poor bikes - probably the benefit of starting out quite a lot later than you guys - but for me, it has to be this thing:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51315679510_44f311e267_c.jpg

I know Nobby loves his but it'll be just another thing we disagree on.

I bought it because I wanted a Speed Triple but needed a one-bike solution for taking the missus around the place and the Speed wasn't going to work for that.

I thought I'd fallen for it because of the engine - which was fabulous - because the pop pop crackle bang on the overrun was addictive and the rush of torque through all of the rev range was extremely useable and effective.

But every other part of the bike I was just meh with.

The brakes were uninspiring and vague. It always felt heavy - heavier than its claimed weight - and very top heavy with it. Long sweepers it was fine but anything technical it just tied itself up in knots super quick.

It didn't know what it was. Sports-Touring bike that did neither particularly convincingly. The underslung exhaust was a PITA for luggage, no bungee points, crap panniers - heavy, leaky, odd shape, very little room, and a riding position that forced your knees up around your ears for no good reason whatsoever. I suppose it did have a decent tank range but that's about all I could commend. Sporty? Nah, not really. It was sporty for a big bike but no sports bike by any stretch. In short, my CBR600F had it all boxed off in every department and I should have kept the CBR, and never have kept the Sprint for 4 years. Never.

Cheap plastics, fasteners, fake metal bits, metal bits that furred up mentally quickly, horrific chain adjuster hub that'd seize you so much as think about moving it.

Nope, no love for it at all.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

My mate had a fully faired 250 wetdream, by far the worst bike I have ever had the mispleasure to ride/work on. Thanks to that machine, it was twenty years before I dared buy a Honda.

I never did after the wetdream. Not only was there that experience, but all the problems they had with cam chain stuff (that was back in the 80s, and they were still having problems when I was working for dealers in the late 90s) and just a reputation for blandness which I think they've never really addressed, never mind shaken off. I used to drool over pictures of CB1100Rs and still love the look of a nicely modified CB900F, but always had this suspicion that ownership would be another kettle of fish. I know there have been Fireblades and CBR600s that are raved about, the SP1 always looked the nuts imo...but, well, just Honda. They just always seem to miss the excitement of motorcycling for me. To this day, road test after road test by publications and individuals always seem to mention how they do things well, but never seem to have any one outstanding characteristic that you could say they were all about. Just too civilised for me I guess.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
but, well, just Honda. They just always seem to miss the excitement of motorcycling for me.

I think it says a lot that when I got on that CB1300 a couple of weeks ago and plonked the missus on the back, having never ridden it before, I felt instantly at home and comfortable with it.

It's a very impressive, competent, well made machine - better than the GSX1400 and XJR1300's I'd ridden years ago by miles - but yet somehow, the fact I felt instantly comfortable with it makes the case for how it's rather dull and uninspiring all at the same time.

I guess that speaks a lot of the fact my favourite bike to date is something that's so impossibly crap it's hard not to love.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3