Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I at fault?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:51 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Am I at fault? Reply with quote

Driving down a 30 by some lights and a Junction with traffic a BMW overtook and cut me up. I avoided any issues but I let out an exasperated 'f u'. at no one in particular, more out of frustration.

I turned into a small car park for a block of flats to calm down and get my breath, this car driver followed me and parked at the entrance. I went to drive away but he jumped in front and grabbed the bike.

He then started shouting out and point out he had a child in the car for some reasons. He then proceeded to hit me twice in the head. I did not react or try to defend myself because I was on the bike and the engine was running with it in first gear and I did not want it to fall or go into him if I let go of the clutch.

After forcing me to apologise to him and the kid for some reason he let me go.

I did note the guys reg and flag down a police officer to report the assault but he just told me to go to the station...which is closed. So of course it has not been reported.

Am I in the wrong here? The F U was not aimed at him, is there even any point in reporting since he can just say I am the big bad road rage man and he was 'protecting' his kid. Would I be the one in trouble?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn’t have mattered if you directly called him a paedo cvnt… getting out directly assault you is all on him. Some people are just dicks who can’t ever hold up their hand and admit they made a mistake and move on. Gotta pin it on the other person. BMW drivers tend to have a reputation for self proclaiming infallibility.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say fvck you into your lid or gesture w/ hand? I'm assuming the latter. Are you at fault? Not really - it's just that these encounters can soon escalate and the proverbial red mist quickly descends.

It's just a matter of reflecting on it - make your progress (e.g. filtering) unobtrusive wherever possible, offer many more thank-yous than you might in a car, give a low-key wave to diffuse any such tensions getting inflamed. Hot weather, holiday traffic queues, people gridlocked with the sun beating down - shit soon kicks off. I've got a mate in hospital with various fractures atm because a woman suddenly decided to peel out of a line of traffic and u-turn. No observation, no mirrors, shoulder check - nowt. Presumably just got hot and bothered in a queue, thought to herself hang on why am I enduring this crawling pace when there's a rat run I know, quarter of a mile back. Fvcking bam, guy filtering down the edge is toast. Not sure how fast he was going but suspect it wasn't much over 25 mph.

Be careful of this situation - if possible, give brief peeps of the horn as you filter down - it's not likely to be taken as a rebuke, just warning of your presence.

Your guy sounds like a sociopathic arsewit - there's no reasoning with them. I think your lack of retaliation was probably the right thing, for various reasons. Not overly shocked plod couldn't be arsed, mind you.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Am I at fault? Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:
Driving down a 30 by some lights and a Junction with traffic a BMW overtook and cut me up.

Would need to know what happened on the lead up to this bit. There's a lot of arseholes out there, but something must have triggered him.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:14 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's worth reporting, he just assaulted you. He had no need to get out of the car, the courts take a very dim view of that kind of thing. The fact he followed you into the carpark means it was premeditated.

I know a guy who drives a wagon who had a really near miss with a car driver (like jack-knifed the trailer close) and admittedly less than politely sounded his air horns before enquiring if the car driver had obtained his licence in a cornflakes packet (or words to that effect, perhaops less polite). Next news car driver is out of the car shouting the odds. Wagon driver got out and blocked him one. Wagon driver got 120 hours community service, a P45 and a criminal record. Car driver got a compo payout. The judges exact words were "You had no need to get out of your cab in this situation".

The trouble will be proving it but most carparks have CCTV these days. Get a subject access request in.

Anyway, sounds like the behaviour of someone up to the back of his eyeballs on Colombian marching powder. At least a 50:50 chance if he's a shouty BMW driver. You should mention his behaviour seemed erratic as if he was on something when you talk to the police. You are obviously deeply concerned about his behaviour because he's driving a car with a minor in the back who he may be putting at risk. Then even if they don't check the CCTV and arrest him for assault, they might put a marker on his car to stop and drug wipe him next time he pings an ANPR. Nothing a traffic copper likes better than tasty low-hanging fruit and a drug driver = an extra chocolate biscuit with his tea.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ride at all without an action camera these days.

People are fully aware of the he-said-she-said thing, and will twist things and lie to suit their situation.

An action camera is for legal purposes. It makes you look like a d!ck and you get fewer nods, but it's sort of like insurance.

The problem you've got in this situation is, he may make you out to be the aggressor. And, since he had a child in the car, that's an aggravating factor. A second aggravating factor, i.e. assault aggravated by road rage, and aggravated by the fact it happened in front of a minor. A sobbing kid is not a good look. Therefore, if he complained and it went against you, a serious criminal outcome is on the cards, i.e. prison. There are hidden factors, such as, for example, the social power of having a child in the car, or the type of car he was driving, or the fact you were riding a bike, that may lead you to run into problems being believed by magistrates or by a crown court jury. The police are there to prosecute crime. You may think there are all these CCTV cameras everywhere, but you'll be amazed how all the footage disappears or how they weren't working, when the police want a conviction.

If you go and report this assault now, that may work in your favour as a sort of insurance in itself (i.e. the social power of being a "victim" may get the ball rolling in your favour, if he hasn't reported you already). On the other hand, if he's had a bit of a panic attack and worries about you having reported him for assault, and has himself already gone and reported YOU for assault, then you may have a problem. He does sound like the sort of person who covers his tracks and tests the waters (i.e. he grabbed and shoved your bars to see how you would react, before assaulting you). You have to bear in mind as well that if you report him, they will interview him, and he will most likely say you assaulted him. And that leaves it up to the police/CPS to decide if they want to charge anyone.

In summary, there are no easy answers.

If I may suggest, you need to calm down a bit and assess the situation. Don't speak with or engage any other road user, in any way. They are just a liability. You will always sense when someone is getting erratic or angry, and when you do, you've got the bike, so just put space between you and them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:33 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Of course it's worth reporting, he just assaulted you. He had no need to get out of the car, the courts take a very dim view of that kind of thing. The fact he followed you into the carpark means it was premeditated.

Wot he said. Thumbs Up
Quote:
I let out an exasperated 'f u'

What do you mean by that?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The criminal mind:

"I was taking my daughter home from her weekly horse riding class. She was diagnosed with ADHD and a personality disorder, and myself and my wife go to great lengths to help bring it under control. She really enjoys it, and it helps stop her panic attacks, and to lead a more fulfilling life.

On my way home, I'm not sure what happened, but this chap on a motorcycle - he was absolutely huge - pulled up to my window at a traffic light and started screaming and shaking, and swearing. He was shouting obscenities and making obscene gestures, in between shaking his fist at me. I was scared for myself and my daughter. I don't know what I did wrong, and I was too scared to open the window. I didn't know what to do. My daughter started having a panic attack. When this happens, she has difficulty breathing, and she has a sort of epileptic episode. I tried my best to calm her down but it wasn't working.

I pulled into a car park down a side road, so that I could calm down my daughter. To my absolute surprise, the motorcycle rider followed me there. He turned off his bike and marched up to my car. I think he had a metal object in his hand. I was really scared but I thought I could calm him down and try to find out what upset him, so I opened my car door with my hands up. I didn't want him getting any closer to my daughter. He was really raging. He shouted at me, accusing him of cutting him off at the lights, and punched me about the head three times. My head was swimming and I saw stars, and all I wanted to do was get away from there. I got in the car and sped off. I think the motorcycle rider was following me. I must admit, I had to break a few speed limits to get away.

My daughter was beside herself with panic, and was crying and screaming. I didn't know what to do, and when I got home my wife and myself spent the rest of the day trying to calm down my daughter. I had bruises around my head, but I didn't go to the hospital because I had to look after and calm down my daughter. Nowadays, ever since this incident, she awakes in the middle of the night, screaming. She can't sleep and I'm not taking her back to school. We are in daily contact with her therapist, who recommends that my daughter isn't put through the process of a police interview, despite being a witness.

I am deeply concerned about the behaviour of the motorcycle rider, and I have reported this incident because felt he poses a significant risk to members of the public. I am a responsible person and a member of the Chartered Institute of [....] and I felt it's my civic duty to report this."

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual Bodily Harm. It's a thing, it's not legal.

I kinda wonder of the mentality of someone hitting a guy in a helmet wearing (most likely) an armoured jacket Sad If I didn't care so much about my precious bike I might have hopped off and beaten him to a pulp. I'd imagine the kid would have been wishing that would happen for years Very Happy

Seriously though the best you could have done is drag the scenario out until some passer by stumbled on the scene or someone else tried to get in or out of the car park. Apologising forced or otherwise was, IMHO, totally the wrong thing to do as the guy will carry on doing this sort of thing.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
the type of car he was driving

stinkwheel wrote:
a shouty BMW driver.

A video on Ashley Neal's youtube channel reminded me all over again about this issue. Not to derail, but it really is worth emphasising the mentality of many Audi and Beemer drivers. It's a thing. Many firmly believe they're far more entitled to demand more road, more speed, and to exercise less due care and attention because they're near the top of the vehicular food chain, as it were.

I've often wondered exactly what it IS about Audi drivers and I've been on the receiving end of it numerous times. The psychology of it is pretty crude, but absolutely deserves to be borne in mind. They think because they have an expensive car, their will should prevail over us mere mortals.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:58 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the story for sure, you clearly angered them by doing something silly. Be a boy and own up Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Half the story for sure, you clearly angered them by doing something silly. Be a boy and own up Wink

No, that is the full story. I have Asperger's which is relevant to mention as it indicates I have a genetic disposition to spill everything I know. It also means I can not read between the lines with unfamiliar comments, so if you are trying to saying something else you need to be a bit more plain with me so I can understand.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Did you say fvck you into your lid or gesture w/ hand?

No hand gestures, just into the lid.

Easy-X wrote:
If I didn't care so much about my precious bike I might have hopped off and beaten him to a pulp. I'd imagine the kid would have been wishing that would happen for years Very Happy

My bike was on and in first gear if I let go to defend myself the bike would have went into him, I was concerned about that, I also did not want it falling and getting all dinged after it getting cleaned up after a lot of garage work. I am not a defenceless guy and I don't know why I sat there and let him do it, perhaps the surprise and the fact the hits did not hurt because of the helmet so it did not stir any of the adrenaline etc that would be required to put me into action.. In hindsight I am angry with myself for not hitting back considering I was all suited and booted, makes me feel like a little bitch.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say let it go, move on.
Not like you were hurt. Just one of those weird red mist moments.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:32 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video on Ashley Neal's youtube channel reminded me all over again about this issue. Not to derail, but it really is worth emphasising the mentality of many Audi and Beemer drivers. It's a thing.

No, it really isn't. Jealousy is unbecoming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It's a thing.

It is though.
They're not expensive cars any more. Shit my beaten up, moon mileage VFR is worth more than half the BMW/Audi's in my works car park. I'd say roughly half of the beemers/Audi's are driven by entitled fucktards. Words have been had in the changing room. Mirrors have been removed. The financial barrier to entry that used to keep the knuckle dragging fuckwits out, and restrict them to higher earning fuckwits has been removed.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum tends to be sort of traditional in its social attitudes, and I do get that. I think we're all of an age where we remember that world in which you could easily tell who was who by what they drove or what they wore.

Regarding the BMW/Audi thing, quite honestly, when I'm out on my bike I'm having fun, it's all about me, and I don't even notice what anyone's driving. Unless it's something like a kit car, or a Ferrari Dino (as I saw the other day), a DeLorean or something equally interesting, in which they get a wave from me. However, I do try to keep my head in 2021. Many things have completely changed in society. Most cars are expensive, most are German, many are bought on some sort of credit agreement, many aren't properly maintained or serviced because it's all too expensive now, etc. You can't look at someone and tell who's who anymore. Remember when you could easily tell that someone was a bank manager simply because they drove a Rover V8 Vitesse? That world's gone now. Just, completely gone. Try explaining to a kid today that the difference between driving a 1.6L and a 1.6GL is that the latter meant you were "management material", or that once you were promoted at work you changed your cigarette brand to Silk Cut, if you wanted to go places...

Some things, however, haven't changed much.

The reception you might get at court, for example, as a father and as a driver of a BMW car, might not be quite the same as someone who rides a really ratty 125 and who's unemployed (as OP claims to be).

There are also people who appear to be nutters in BMWs and Audis because they're genuinely distracted or carried away by their excitement, e.g. on a sunny day, on their way to their dealer. And, yes, drug use is commonplace now. In the past, drinking was commonplace and socially accepted and drug use was edgy, and now it's all reversed.

So, some things have definitely changed, while others haven't changed very much at all. It isn't about envy any more. A lot of these BMWs and Audis are "beaters" being driven into the ground until the wheels fall off, holding on just barely to an MOT, and I don't think anyone's under any illusion about these high mileage A3s or X5s being driven by high flyers. It's all different now. Aren't pushbikes the new status symbols for go-getters and hard workers?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

A video on Ashley Neal's youtube channel reminded me all over again about this issue. Not to derail, but it really is worth emphasising the mentality of many Audi and Beemer drivers. It's a thing.

Yes that's very true - but not in the way you imagine. Rather, the jealousy is of motorcyclists from pussy-whipped Audi drivers who'd love to have a bike but haven't the balls for it, not least because they're under the thumb.

But yeah - nice try. You were half right.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr tiddles wrote:
My bike was on and in first gear if I let go to defend myself the bike would have went into him, I was concerned about that, I also did not want it falling and getting all dinged after it getting cleaned up after a lot of garage work. I am not a defenceless guy and I don't know why I sat there and let him do it, perhaps the surprise and the fact the hits did not hurt because of the helmet so it did not stir any of the adrenaline etc that would be required to put me into action.. In hindsight I am angry with myself for not hitting back considering I was all suited and booted, makes me feel like a little bitch.

I entirely sympathise, bruises heal. Fairings do not Sad

I would imagine my spidey-sense would have gone off - car parking up in an odd spot, occupants lingering by the entrance - but I appreciate not everyone has that. Then again I ride about the City. If I had to pull over for every hairy moment I'd never get anywhere Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:24 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's very true - but not in the way you imagine. Rather, the jealousy is of motorcyclists from pussy-whipped Audi drivers who'd love to have a bike but haven't the balls for it, not least because they're under the thumb.

But yeah - nice try. You were half right.

Hilarious.

{edit} There is a psychological hiccup that people tend to do, and if they aren't aware of it they are more likely to fall afoul of it. It's known as 'Ascribing intent'. It's why road rage happens, because people assume others have an intention that they don't necessarily have. In the case of the OP, our road rage man did that, but he did have a touch more evidence for the intention of the other as he heard the profanity. I'm not saying the OP was at fault, but when people are susceptible to doing that kind of thing anyway, the profanity might have been misinterpreted.

In the same vein, all groups of people have nice people, and all groups have c*nts. One of the risk factors in the second category is tarring people with a broad brush... just sayin'. {edit}

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
the type of car he was driving

stinkwheel wrote:
a shouty BMW driver.

A video on Ashley Neal's youtube channel reminded me all over again about this issue. Not to derail, but it really is worth emphasising the mentality of many Audi and Beemer drivers. It's a thing. Many firmly believe they're far more entitled to demand more road, more speed, and to exercise less due care and attention because they're near the top of the vehicular food chain, as it were.

I've often wondered exactly what it IS about Audi drivers and I've been on the receiving end of it numerous times. The psychology of it is pretty crude, but absolutely deserves to be borne in mind. They think because they have an expensive car, their will should prevail over us mere mortals.

To be clear, I should have said shiny new Audis.

The point about financing deals is well-made, however. But I still think there is a rolling sense of entitlement with many Audi and BMW drivers. And why wouldn't there be? We're a very materialist sort of culture, after all.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Am I at fault? Reply with quote

I got some questions.

Mr tiddles wrote:
Driving down a 30 by some lights and a Junction with traffic a BMW overtook and cut me up. I avoided any issues but I let out an exasperated 'f u'. at no one in particular, more out of frustration.

So the Beemer passed you. He is in front and in his car but can hear you yell FU from behind his car and through your helmet. How loud are you Mr Tiddles?

Mr tiddles wrote:
I turned into a small car park for a block of flats to calm down and get my breath, this car driver followed me and parked at the entrance. I went to drive away but he jumped in front and grabbed the bike.
So now he is behind you.. how/when did that happen?

Mr tiddles wrote:
He then started shouting out and point out he had a child in the car for some reasons. He then proceeded to hit me twice in the head.
Really! He takes offence to his child hearing bad language but is OK with the child seeing the father involved in actual violence?

Mr tiddles wrote:
I did note the guys reg and flag down a police officer to report the assault but he just told me to go to the station...which is closed. So of course it has not been reported.
Have you heard of an invention called the telephone?

Mr tiddles wrote:
Am I in the wrong here?
Are you in the wrong Mr Tiddles? Story needs clarification I think.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I don't ride at all without an action camera these days.

People are fully aware of the he-said-she-said thing, and will twist things and lie to suit their situation.

An action camera is for legal purposes. It makes you look like a d!ck and you get fewer nods, but it's sort of like insurance.

Couldn't agree more. If I had been in OPs' situation, ignoring the fact that I wouldn't have pulled in somewhere and cornered myself, I would have reported the incident online (Met Police btw) , along with the video evidence the moment I got home. With video it's almost guaranteed to go to court, and assuming OP have given us the whole story a conviction os some sort would be a near certainty.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic slightly but I have noticed as well that Audi and BMW drivers have an unwarranted sense of entitlement and I also note that there is no barrier to entry on expensive cars anymore.

HP let middle earners into the higher earner car bracket and then PCP let anyone own one.

Lad that used to work with me kept on banging on about his Audi RS3 that he got brand new as if it was some kind of amazing achievement. PCP on an RS3 is £523 a month with no deposit which is affordable for most people.

Mr tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:15 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Am I at fault? Reply with quote

[quote="McHattrick"]I got some questions.

McHattrick wrote:
So the Beemer passed you. He is in front and in his car but can hear you yell FU from behind his car and through your helmet. How loud are you Mr Tiddles?

Apparently loud enough to be heard

McHattrick wrote:
So now he is behind you.. how/when did that happen?
I passed the car at a junction queue, that que was for the car park.

McHattrick wrote:
Really! He takes offence to his child hearing bad language but is OK with the child seeing the father involved in actual violence?

Apparently so, I am not sure why you are even asking this. Again I have Asperger's and do not under this whole read between the lines thing. So ask directly and I will understand.

McHattrick wrote:
Have you heard of an invention called the telephone?

Yes, I used the one at the police station, I was on hold for around 10 minutes then they hung up. Again I do not understand why you are asking this. Everyone knows most people use smart phones now, telephones are few and far between. The telephones that are still around are usually vandalised. You would have to be quite removed from the modern world to have not heard of telephone, that is clearly not the case here so why are you asking?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what the word may have been, or how loud, you got assaulted and it needs to be reported. Stinkwheel's suggestion is also good, anything where a kid is present will increase the interest of the police.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2