Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supply and Demand - 125 Buying Just Now

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

GuestBob
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:57 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Supply and Demand - 125 Buying Just Now Reply with quote

I am going for my CBT on Tuesday. Deposited on a bike a while ago but when I called about it at the start of this month it wasn't even in the country, so I started ringing round and managed to find something on a showroom floor that someone else had crapped out on, and was available. I went for it and am happy with the look of it and everything I have seen or read (AJS Cadwell - and don't start on "Chinese bikes" I lived there for over a decade so I know the price of dumplings). I will be riding it home on Wednesday. But I was wondering...

- Given COVID and the new EURO 5 stuff coming in, did anyone else find that bikes just aren't really that available at the moment? Or is it normal for everything to be on an 12 week delay?

- How is the resale market at the moment? Prices for used YBRs seemed to be fairly steep to me.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:50 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and don't start on "Chinese bikes"

They tend to have that issue too.

If you are spending £2400 on a bike, that's Chinese, you are cuckoo. That's Japanese 125 money.

No other things to say other than please don't throw cash at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Quote:
and don't start on "Chinese bikes"

They tend to have that issue too.

Laughing

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: aq Reply with quote

GuestBob wrote:
I know the price of dumplings).

that is useful, to be fair - but what about basic metallurgy? any clues there?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

GuestBob
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:36 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: aq Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
GuestBob wrote:
I know the price of dumplings).

that is useful, to be fair - but what about basic metallurgy? any clues there?

I don't know, how many Chinese factories have you seen the inside of?

[edit] I know more about carbon fibre layups than metallurgy, but anyone can parse a discussion based on specific "wisdom" - what you need to look at are general trends in production and sales across a range of export markets. If "Bike X" is selling well with a 2 year warranty across a range of countries, across the past few years then it is undeniably a good product. If you think this is because it is only bought by idiots then your problem is with a market segment, not a product. You should argue against people wanting to buy something with a 2 year warranty over something fourth hand with x,000 miles on the clock as their first bike.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks a CBF125 is more of a premium product than an AJS needs their head read. Shite gearbox and build quality.

Ride it for the duration of the warranty and then punt it on - for the price they are in the real world who cares. If it lasts longer than the warranty period and you get 2 or 3 years out of it then it will have more than paid for itself.

The issue with supply is the backlog of containers in China just now, did i read something like 140,000+ still sat on the docks? The Evergreen had 45,000 or something on it.

GuestBob
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:58 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Anyone who thinks a CBF125 is more of a premium product than an AJS needs their head read. Shite gearbox and build quality.

Ride it for the duration of the warranty and then punt it on - for the price they are in the real world who cares. If it lasts longer than the warranty period and you get 2 or 3 years out of it then it will have more than paid for itself.

UncleBFester wrote:
The issue with supply is the backlog of containers in China just now, did i read something like 140,000+ still sat on the docks? The Evergreen had 45,000 or something on it.

Yeah, combine this with the end of the "current stock offload" period for Euro 4 stuff and I am wondering if there is a perfectly shitty storm going on.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Evil Hans has an AJS JS125 Eco2, which is basically the Cadwell without the hipster frock (and was a fair bit cheaper!) and I've gotta say it has proved pretty reliable over the years. Couple of minor electrical issues caused by pound-land loom connectors melting, but otherwise OK.

But yeah, on the whole prices seem to have gone crazy recently.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If you are spending £2400 on a bike, that's Chinese, you are cuckoo. That's Japanese 125 money.

No other things to say other than please don't throw cash at that.

This forum has taught me that even if you buy a Jap 125 they can still be complete fucking nails with disco leds Laughing

GuestBob
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Glad I wasn't being spoofed (any more than usual).

The next question is, if prices have crept up, are they going to stay up? Euro5 gives everyone an excuse...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuestBob wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Glad I wasn't being spoofed (any more than usual).

The next question is, if prices have crept up, are they going to stay up? Euro5 gives everyone an excuse...

Having recently bought a new car (2nd hand) i too have noticed prices of 2nd hand vehicles going balistic

One of the reasons i had heard for this from a car dealer (so take it with a pinch of salt), is that it is partially down to the COVID pandemic which has caused a massive shortage of semiconductors, leading to a reduction (or in some cases a halt) to production of brand new cars, causing 2nd hand cars to be in more demand, thus pushing up the prices

If true, how long this will last is anyones guess

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Made nearly £2k (30%) profit on selling my car about a month back, I'd owned it a little over a year and not spent a penny on it in that time.

The supply of bikes, and particularly small bikes, will be far less affected due to the comparative lack of electronic gizmos.

That said, overall we're seeing quite a lot of economic inflation everywhere, so it is no surprise it is affecting the motorcycle market too.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Having recently bought a new car (2nd hand) i too have noticed prices of 2nd hand vehicles going balistic

One of the reasons i had heard for this from a car dealer (so take it with a pinch of salt), is that it is partially down to the COVID pandemic which has caused a massive shortage of semiconductors, leading to a reduction (or in some cases a halt) to production of brand new cars, causing 2nd hand cars to be in more demand, thus pushing up the prices

If true, how long this will last is anyones guess

It's true.

I was giving getting a new car some thought when my shitbox was coming up for MOT, I figured the cost of buying new pads, discs, sensors, back box, etc was about £500 in parts and that's the deposit on a new car on PCP.

Then I decided just to fix my current shitbox because I honestly don't care about cars anymore now that I am into bikes. Cars literally are just a box for whatever I can't carry on a motorcycle or for truly shit weather I can't ride in.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
...Cars literally are just a box for whatever I can't carry on a motorcycle or for truly shit weather I can't ride in.

Bro, I like the way you think. Wink

Steve500
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:43 - 08 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Please dont throw arrogance and lack of knowledge about 125's. Aslong as it has 2 wheels and an engine it's fun and enjoyable for anybody to ride where they want to.

Its the Western world thinking that you need a big bike.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 08 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve500 wrote:

Please dont throw arrogance and lack of knowledge about 125's. Aslong as it has 2 wheels and an engine it's fun and enjoyable for anybody to ride where they want to.

Sorry - from what did you infer i hate 125s?

I owned a YBR125 to learn on and it was grand. I used a CBF125 as part of my DAS course and it was a complete knacker as was the one my wife owned 3 years prior. Box full of neutrals the hotter it got and the build quality was shite. Hence the statement of CBF125 being a piece of overpriced shite. I'd have a cheapo chinese brand with a warranty over a used or new CBF125 one any of the week. Be it AJS / Keeway / Zontes or whatever. Those are good value bikes.

The Honda is not.

If you can afford big brand prices get the Yamaha YBR125 . If you cannot then the other brands will do you just fine.

If you're going to throw insults around and be a mardy arse then at least get your facts straight eh.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:57 - 08 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve500 wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Thinking of giving this a 'funny' karma.

I would dread riding a 125 down the motorway for any distance, let alone half way across the country.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 08 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Z200 project from earlier this year reminded me a lot of my old CG125, when it was finished. It really was very similar. Single cylinder, although SOHC instead of pushrods, cute, narrow little tank, good looking but, as a bike, vibey, very slow and horrible.
100 metres into my first ride once it was all complete, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It made me appreciate my big(ger) bike much more after that. That project cured my nostalgia.
Point being, if you're going to ride on the roads in the UK, I can't see much joy in a 125 (any).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1