BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KR1S Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:38 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: KR1S Project Reply with quote

As some of you know I've had a KR1S languishing at the back of my garage for a number of years. I bought it in about 2013 and it was apparently rebuilt from NOS parts. The seller told me the pistons were the new pattern which didn't have the fatal flaw with the ring pegs...

I didn't ride it a lot, but I did ride it occasionally until 2017 when I couldn't get it to run any more. I spent a load of time taking the carbs off and making adjustments. I replaced the fuel tap thinking the issue was fuel starvation. It would run sometimes but not very well. So I trailered it over to a local dyno place to get them to have a look. The news was not good. They had put an endoscope in the exhaust port and found internal damage. The ring pegs had made a bid for freedom!

The damage was... not good.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img_4751.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img_4744.jpg

In 2020 during lockdown I managed to strip the top end of the bike and get it ready for a rebuild. The bike then stood in my garage looking sorry for itself with a plastic bin bag over the open crankase like a rag covering a persons modesty. It really did look a state.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/kr1s-1.jpg

I did not get around to sending the parts away for repair until earlier this year. I sent them away to BDK engineering who did a great job in repairing the damage. They also sold me some pistons and a replacement KIPS valve which I had broken during the stripdown process. Turns out they are quite weak and you can't use an impact driver on them!

Fast forward to the end of June where I put the pistons and barrels back on the bike, and then to the weekend before last where I got it to here:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/kr1s-2.jpg

Then last weekend I went to the Champion Flat Track school on saturday, which was awesome by the way, and Sunday I got to here:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/kr1s-3.jpg

Then, after a few kicks and a lot of sweat (it was extremely hot yesterday) I got to here:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/kr1s-4.jpg

and then, realising my new garage has terrible ventilation, I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5F61HZ9oNc

The idle is extremely high, so I need to look into that, but otherwise I'm very pleased. I had no idea of the carbs had solidified in that time with old petrol etc, and once it was going, it was a matter of one kick to get it to re-start.

Updates to follow soon!

Last edited by MarJay on 18:04 - 21 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see her with her frock on. These were good looking bikes back then.

It'll be fun seeing how often you'll be revisiting this thread for yet another rebuild though Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:22 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Can't wait to see her with her frock on. These were good looking bikes back then.

It'll be fun seeing how often you'll be revisiting this thread for yet another rebuild though Laughing

The pistons are Mitaka ones that don't have the same issues as the OEM ones, so I hope not!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bike! Bet you can't wait to get out on it? It's the same frame/swingarm & suspension as the old ZX4.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:43 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
Lovely bike! Bet you can't wait to get out on it? It's the same frame/swingarm & suspension as the old ZX4.

I don't think it is... There's no way it'd fit a 4 cylinder in there. The suspension might be similar, but it's definitely not identical.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:51 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had those down in my head as a bit of a fragile bike and something of a money vortex (even before you have to put fuel in it) but probably the best all round performer of the LC 250cc 2-strokes. Same ballpark as the NS400R in that you don't see many about but when they are running they are incredibly focused.

The teen dream racer you actually need to be a grown up in good employment to have as a toy.

Looks like it'll be fun.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I always had those down in my head as a bit of a fragile bike and something of a money vortex (even before you have to put fuel in it) but probably the best all round performer of the LC 250cc 2-strokes. Same ballpark as the NS400R in that you don't see many about but when they are running they are incredibly focused.

The teen dream racer you actually need to be a grown up in good employment to have as a toy.

Looks like it'll be fun.

Supposedly if the barrel deck heights are the same, and it has new pattern pistons they are fairly reliable. It's definitely fun. Oddly I was talking to a guy with an NS400R at the weekend, he said that they are pretty reliable too.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:21 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine everything in either of those motors is pretty finely balanced and wouldn't respond well to the tuning attempts of the day such as spiking baffles and randomly drilling holes in airboxes.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:26 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd imagine everything in either of those motors is pretty finely balanced and wouldn't respond well to the tuning attempts of the day such as spiking baffles and randomly drilling holes in airboxes.

Indeed.

The tolerances on the KR1S are notoriously bad, so a freshly rebuilt top end definitely can't hurt.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:54 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I spent today investigating the high idle. First of all, all of the carburettor clamps were finger tight. So I tightened those down. Then I reset both idle screws to approximately where I thought they should be and this was the result:

https://youtu.be/kYY23j1utL0

So no more 4000rpm idle, it needs adjusting up as I've since found that the idle should be between 1100 and 1300 rpm, whereas I was working on the assumption that it should be around 900rpm when the video was made.

So I then spent most of the afternoon putting it's clothes back on:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/kr1-s_nearly_done.jpg

I found that the brand new 8mm fuel pipe I fitted before it stopped working has all cracked and is now leaking, so I'll need to replace that, but the brakes work, the indicators work, the suspension seems OK, it seems to start easily and run OK so I think it's not far off having an MOT. The first time in four years! Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:33 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, it's definitely a 3 feet bike. What do I mean by that? I mean that it looks OK when you're 3 feet away, but when you get close you notice all the little bits of damage, the bodges, the cable ties and the little miniscule flecks of corrosion, cobwebs and dirt. It's not cosmetically great at all.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, looks like a respray has been done in the past.

I used to long for one in these colours.

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/upload/262825/images/600x400/04Kawasaki-KR-1S.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Nice, looks like a respray has been done in the past.

I used to long for one in these colours.

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/upload/262825/images/600x400/04Kawasaki-KR-1S.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Mine should look like this:

https://raresportbikesforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/kr1-left.jpg

I had a chance to get a tank and bodywork from Japan but I couldn't afford it at the time. I'm kicking myself a bit now.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see good ones are going for 5 grand plus, bit rich for me, but if you could spend a grand in respray and stickers you'd probably get it all back and then some.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only paid £1500 for it when I bought it! Smile

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mitaka pistons have their issues, to the point where my mate has now binned two sets in his KR. First set ovalled the gudgeon pin holes in about 500 miles bad enough that the piston crowns could touch the head. Luckily he heard it and stopped it before any great damage could be done. Went to 2MA pistons, bit more restrictive, ran fine. Decided to try another set of Mitaka while fitting a better cylinder head, started rattling after 100 miles, bottom ring stuck solid due to crap tolerances. Went back to the TZR pistons, no more issues. Mitaka are aware of these issues and don’t care / blame lack of lubrication. I’d keep my ears open for the first few hundred miles especially, they are very quiet engines and any tapping / rattling should be treated with the utmost suspicion.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:15 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Bcf purchase?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:15 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Bcf purchase?

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs painting R blue
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:16 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylarballoonsfan wrote:
The Mitaka pistons have their issues, to the point where my mate has now binned two sets in his KR. First set ovalled the gudgeon pin holes in about 500 miles bad enough that the piston crowns could touch the head. Luckily he heard it and stopped it before any great damage could be done. Went to 2MA pistons, bit more restrictive, ran fine. Decided to try another set of Mitaka while fitting a better cylinder head, started rattling after 100 miles, bottom ring stuck solid due to crap tolerances. Went back to the TZR pistons, no more issues. Mitaka are aware of these issues and don’t care / blame lack of lubrication. I’d keep my ears open for the first few hundred miles especially, they are very quiet engines and any tapping / rattling should be treated with the utmost suspicion.

I'd imagine BDK know what they are doing. The pistons came in Mitaka packaging but had no English on them at all, which leads me to believe they came from Japan for the Japanese market. Perhaps this was to avoid the bad batch that other people have experienced?

Ste wrote:
Bcf purchase?
No, from someone on the KR1S forum but I originally saw it on ebay.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 27 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Needs painting R blue

The R was only ever black and green, same as the S scheme bar the tank decals.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1