Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cashless society

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Cashless society Reply with quote

I know we have commented on this before in other posts but yesterday I was chatting with a few friends when this came up. One of my mates said it would (or could) be the best thing to happen for this country. Reasons being....

Obviously no money to make saving however much that costs.
The end of the 'cash in hand' deals. Everything would have to go through the books so HMRC would get it's whack.
The end of illegal immigrants and people on tourist visas working for slave wages paid in cash and we would find out exactly who was in the country as everyone would have to have some form of bank account or starve.
Crime would be reduced, especially crimes like drug dealing as your and their money would be completely traceable. Banks already have to inform law enforcement about any large movement of money so I'm sure in today's technological era it would be easy expand that.

I'm sure he had other reasons but I can't remember them at the moment.

The way he put it (much more eloquently that me) it seemed like a no brainer from the governments point of view but I expect there are many that would regard it as another nail in the coffin of personal freedom.

Any thoughts? It wouldn't bother me in the slightest as using cash now is a faff and some shops are refusing any payment other than contactless.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very much a centrist libertarian so I actually have a conflicted personal view on cashless societies. I personally don't carry cash on myself as I am a lazy cunt and like the convenience of using my mobile phone to pay for everything, however, I feel that there should be a place for cash as having it taken away completely equates to less personal freedom.

The thing that scares me most is the inexorable march towards losing all personal freedoms and that the scariest part of it: is that the mass populous is actually doing it themselves!

For centuries critical thought has been what drives innovation and development and now we live in an age where if someone doesn't think the same as how certain cohorts of people think they should think then they "cancel" them. I hate the policing of thoughts and ideas in today's world, to me it's the opposite of what humans should be like and no better than everyone simply being a drone.

I don't have to agree with other people's thoughts, in fact I can think they are heinous, but when you start censoring thought then where does that line get drawn?

So how does that tie back to a cashless society? Well because both are simply means to the same end where people are mindless work and consumption units. What is the next step after cash is taken away? Currency changes to social credits?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
What is the next step after cash is taken away? Currency changes to social credits?

Isn't that basically what wages are in whatever way they are paid? The amount society thinks you are worth so therefore social credits?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Isn't that basically what wages are in whatever way they are paid? The amount society thinks you are worth so therefore social credits?

No, I think in it's current state your salary is still what YOU think you are worth. You have the option to try negotiating for more or attempting to find a position with a greater salary. By acquiescing or accepting that salary you are agreeing that is the value of your time.

My point about social credits is because I can see a tiered system where you need both money and social credit to obtain certain privileges, etc (much the same as the current system in China - but expanded). Where your skills and craft are rewarded with money and your adherence to the system/ government is rewarded with social credits.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:58 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminals will just find other transportable and untraceable currencies to trade in.

Amazon gift cards seem popular at the moment.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always gold, stolen goods, cigarettes, alcohol, dollars, sexual favours... just look at anywhere with a currency collapse to see an alternative to electronically tracked transactions.

But yes, it does have the air of "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" about it Sad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like cash, I don't like change (no pun). There's already enough restrictions in place for money laundering. IMO.

Some places I always use cash - the pub for example. It stems form the time of having to wait behind queues to students each paying for an individual drink with a card - tw@ts.

It could have eth effect of foxing the Gypos, but as Easy suggests they'd like or not figure a way around it (trading in stolen chainsaws for example).

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Cashless society Reply with quote

It's like saying ban all cars and motorbikes because people can go on public transport or use deliveries.

Cash is already under attack and giving more power to financial services leads to more abuses. This outdoor shop owner complains about some of the actions used against him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFofXxdqzg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the simplest and easiet budgeting involves cash

it will damage the poorest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:50 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go out on the piss, see a band, I never carry a wallet or card, I carry cash, spread around my pockets, If I'm pissed and drop a few notes then it's less of a problem than waking up in the morning and finding that I have lost my card (ask me how I know)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
When I go out on the piss, see a band, I never carry a wallet or card, I carry cash, spread around my pockets, If I'm pissed and drop a few notes then it's less of a problem than waking up in the morning and finding that I have lost my card (ask me how I know)

Mmm... and if you con your way into a curry house late at night after the gig you rapidly find out who's got such organisational skills when the bill arrives Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Criminals will just find other transportable and untraceable currencies to trade in.

Amazon gift cards seem popular at the moment.

I'd fix their central heating if I get to shag some Russian's gangster's daughter, sister, wife, GF, mum, Aunt.

Probably parts of me would then be found in a cheap suitcase floating doon the Clyde.
Other parts who knows where?

I vote to keep cash.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Bitcoin was supposed to be the answer to the criminal's monetary dilemmas?

Being cashless in a third world country such as the USA, which still operates a 19th century banking system, would be a complete pain in the arse. Today I bought some wood using someone else's signed blank cheque...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
No, I think in it's current state your salary is still what YOU think you are worth. You have the option to try negotiating for more or attempting to find a position with a greater salary. By acquiescing or accepting that salary you are agreeing that is the value of your time.

I wanted to protest this point but I couldn’t raise a decent argument. Bit depressed now. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
....I'd fix their central heating....

But you're not Gas Safe registered Wink

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree from the civil liberties perspective with cash. But from an econoimic standpoint cash gives electronic money its perceived physical worth, similar to the Gold standard. A run on the banks being a good proof of this. So scrapping cash actually weakens the value of the currency. Also the alternative to cash would probably not be gold, but rather a different currency e.g the US Dollar.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about cheques? Laughing

Use them all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

Use them all the time.

They are a promissory note.

Cash is a promissory note too. Cash is effectively a cheque issued by a bank which is made out to the bearer.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

Use them all the time.

Cash is a promissory note too. Cash is effectively a cheque issued by a bank which is made out to the bearer.

And must be written on a cow. Thumbs Up

https://ipdraughts.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cow-check.jpg

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

Use them all the time.

Well yes, but it wasn't long ago TPC were thinking about stopping using them all together, by '18. But decided against that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:59 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Barclays. They blocked payments and said it was to "protect customers" at first. Now news articles claim it is due to the FCA.

Quote:
Santander UK has joined rival banks Barclays and NatWest in stopping its customers from making payments to Binance after the national regulator said the cryptocurrency exchange was not allowed to trade regulated derivatives.

In a customer update sent via email on Thursday, Santander told its UK clients the bank would block payments to Binance for their client safety and protection. Customers could however still receive funds from Binance.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/santander-binance-ban-barclays-crypto-regulation-fca-2021-7

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:53 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would actually notice if cash disappeared altogether. I haven't used cash at all for the last 18 months or so and my business is not cash based either, it's all done by invoice, account and electronic payments, either from the NHS or the patient's own health insurance. The only time I have had a problem is the occasional carpark in the deepest parts of Dorset, where they haven't yet discovered electronic payments, or mobile phone networks, or even electricity.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:46 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer cash.. yes I use my card as and when, but you are constanly being tracked and bombarded with shite.

As mentioned previously it's all about seeing how much money you have, and how much of it they can get their grubby hands on.

You all seem to be under the impression that cards are fautless, and that banks always pay. In the next recession that's due about now, you are all in for a big shock. We'll get to see if their promise of 'ring fencing' really did get implemented, and whether it works or not.

If you don't draw cash prior to a banks collapse, you stand lose everything, if you have anything worth losing that is or if you're lucky you get a pitance for every pound they had of yours.

Many people start withdrawing cash when rumours of an imminent collapse get out.

The US banks are already limiting cash withdrawals under the pretext of not having any or there's no demand.

https://news.bitcoin.com/us-cash-crisis-withdrawal-limits-bank-run-fear/

If you trust the banks, you're a Banker Wanker.

Anyone know how Texas handled their payments when they lost all their power?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:01 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the 2008 financial crash, the Cypriot government shut all the banks for a few days and helped themselves to 10% of every credit balance.

Just saying...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
During the 2008 financial crash, the Cypriot government shut all the banks for a few days and helped themselves to 10% of every credit balance.

Just saying...

Based on the idea that the Treasury (the taxpayer) shouldn’t have to bail out the bank, the investors should. But as I recall, if your savings were below a certain level you didn’t lose money. It was seen as a trial run for an EU law which the UK likely still maintains.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2