Cashless society

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:20 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Based on the idea that the Treasury (the taxpayer) shouldn’t have to bail out the bank, the investors should. But as I recall, if your savings were below a certain level you didn’t lose money. It was seen as a trial run for an EU law which the UK likely still maintains.

Surely account holders are not investors, they are the customers. The shareholders are the investors.

And what about those who were customers of the Central bank of Cyprus? Where the goverment is the owner?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Based on the idea that the Treasury (the taxpayer) shouldn’t have to bail out the bank, the investors should. But as I recall, if your savings were below a certain level you didn’t lose money. It was seen as a trial run for an EU law which the UK likely still maintains.

Surely account holders are not investors, they are the customers. The shareholders are the investors.

And what about those who were customers of the Central bank of Cyprus? Where the goverment is the owner?

You are correct, it was a “bail-in of depositors.”
https://bankofcyprus.com/en-GB/Start/News_Archive/Recapitalisation-through-Bail-in-and-Resolution-Exit-Bank-of-Cyprus-Announcement/
I think this meant depositors had a proportion of their cash turned into shares in a failing bank which might increase in value later if the bank survived (as they always do). The point is, the government didn’t have to step in financially.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
You are correct, it was a “bail-in of depositors.”
https://bankofcyprus.com/en-GB/Start/News_Archive/Recapitalisation-through-Bail-in-and-Resolution-Exit-Bank-of-Cyprus-Announcement/
I think this meant depositors had a proportion of their cash turned into shares in a failing bank which might increase in value later if the bank survived (as they always do). The point is, the government didn’t have to step in financially.

So the government stole their money and used it to buy shares.

My current account is with a building society so it's different but I personally wouldn't see depositing money at a bank as me being an investor in that bank. If I was, I'd expect a say in what they do (which I do with a building society, I'm free to attend their AGM and to vote on issues).

EDIT: Yes, always a good idea to have some negotiable currency about the place. I have a few platinum soverigns squirreled away on the basis that it's useful and valuable stuff as a metal even if the entire financial system collapses.... A quick check shows ithey've gone up 30% since I bought them last year. Should've bought more!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread really should get the award for most middle class thread. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

I am honestly confused why you would say that. Elucidate please.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:46 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
..always a good idea to have some negotiable currency about the place. I have a few platinum soverigns squirreled away on the basis that it's useful and valuable stuff as a metal even if the entire financial system collapses.... A quick check shows ithey've gone up 30% since I bought them last year. Should've bought more!

So very true. When these things happen, joe public will be the last to know, and it all happens very fast with no warning.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:10 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

I am honestly confused why you would say that. Elucidate please.

The funny answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTYNhWoLZ4

The not so funny answer is if they did save a bob or two the banks are rubbish and the state will use it as an excuse to cut any handouts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2