Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance database and taxing a bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Insurance database and taxing a bike Reply with quote

So I'm buying a bike (private sale) in the next few days. How long does it take for the insurance to trickle through the DVLA's tax system to let me tax it? E.g. if I buy the insurance the day before so it's valid on the day I pick it up, do the transfer of ownership and then try to buy the tax for it, will it recognise the insurance or does it take a few days to filter through the system? It'll be evening so no chance of going to a post office to get it taxed that way.

It's got an MOT on it already and it'll be insured via an online company if it makes any difference.

Cheers

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:55 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be pretty quick. I've never had much of a problem with this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. One way train ticket etc.. it's quite committing if it doesn't work! Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:17 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind the transfer of registered keeper probably won't be instant, so it'll be taxed and insured long enough to get home.

The V5 will almost certainly take longer than the insurance to percolate through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:48 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am intending to ride it home, I ask them nicely if they wouldn't mind holding off on the 'online v5 thing' until I get home. You are taking it for a test ride until then if stopped Laughing

Then either do that, or do it by snail mail and it stays taxed until DVLA get it... and you re-tax it with the green slip.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err all it needs to be taxed is a valid MOT, no? Insurance is completely different.

DVLA don't give a monkeys who insures it, all they want is their tax from whoever the current 'keeper' is.

Even if it isn't taxed / sorn'd as long as it has an MOT you can tax it with the number on the new keeper supplement.

edit: and the ones i've done online have been instant.

Last edited by UncleFester on 17:05 - 19 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a car that was SORN. Insured it, MOT'd , taxed it, in the space of a couple of hours. Would hve been quicker except it failed the MOT and had to be re-done a short while later.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a bike on Wednesday, did the transfer of ownership online, insurance done online on my phone, policy documents received straight away at 16:44, taxed online and confirmation received at 17:01.

So, it takes 15 minutes Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, Tax is no longer dependent on insurance. As soon as you have bought the bike you can tax it. I personally wouldn't worry about the tax as long as I had insurance for the ride home though. Do it in the comfort of your livingroom rather than rushing when out.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. The change in tax rules has completely passed me by - I assumed having MOT and insurance was still a prerequisite! This all makes sense now and makes things a bit easier.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Bear in mind the transfer of registered keeper probably won't be instant,

Not if you do it online it won't, it will be instant

I bought a 2nd hand car 2 weeks ago (Tuesday the 6th) and the garage did the V5 transfer online, i had a shiny new V5 through the post by that Thursday

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. I too was of the understanding that insurance and MOT still needed to be in place before taxing a vehicle.
Handy knowledge. Cheers!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also watch out for this.

You have fully comp insurance on your own vehicle and TPFT on any other vehicle but ONLY if that other vehicle has insurance.

So if you buy a new thing and drive it away, you are not insured unless you have specifically insured IT.

And if you sell a vehicle, call your insurer and cancel the insurance before the new owner drives off. IF they fail to insure it and you still have it insured, if they crash, you're the person who will be chased for any loss incurred.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:50 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Also watch out for this.

You have fully comp insurance on your own vehicle and TPFT on any other vehicle but ONLY if that other vehicle has insurance.

So if you buy a new thing and drive it away, you are not insured unless you have specifically insured IT.

The insurance companies might try to tell you that and may have a comdition in your insurance contract to that effect but in reality the courts have in the past show quite a wide view on what 3rd party insurance (you don't take any fire and theft bit to any vehicle you haven't specifically insured) covers and the odds are they would say you are insured.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty certain that sort of extended cover is limited to third party only normally, but it's irrelevant as I'll sort out "full" insurance for it before I ride off anyway.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance categorically states that I may ride bikes not belonging to me but they MUST be otherwise insured.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Cheers all. The change in tax rules has completely passed me by - I assumed having MOT and insurance was still a prerequisite! This all makes sense now and makes things a bit easier.

They stopped checking for insurance when the 'Continuous Insurance' laws kicked in - not having insurance on a vehicle which is not SORNed is now an offence of its own.

So why warn you when you try to tax it when they can just hit you with a big fine later Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really easy way not to get fined and that's to make sure you do it right.

No excuses - it couldn't be easier these days. No need to queue in the post office etc.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs to be insured to be able tax it.

If not insured but taxed then it needs to be off the road and SORNed.

Needs MOT if the classification states that it needs an MOT. If classic MOT is waived but tax still required. But it's a Nil fee.

Unless the rules shifted which is aye possibly with the fekinTaffies at DVLA. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1