Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Harley and The LOOK

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:55 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Harley and The LOOK Reply with quote

Do you get the Piss Pot Helmet as a free gift when you buy a Harley?
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels that way, assless chaps would be more useful. The "Look" is great until you crash and use your face as a brake. For me they should be banned. Yeah that's controversial but that's my take on it anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:14 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw 3 Different "Office managers" out on there Hogs today.
Each with their own take on the required look, ranging from Denim shorts and Doc Martens to Leather Jacket with Tassels etc......All wearing Aviator Sunglasses and Piss pot Helmet.
They all lack a wall mirror at home
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:
For me they should be banned.

I hereby ban you from using them Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a guy on a Harley with 27 foot high ape hangers and the mandatory denim shirt with the arms torn off yesterday … decided he was going to tear down the middle of traffic and nearly tboned a car coming into the roundabout and then nearly dropped it cos it’s a corner and he’s on a tractor. Would have been funny if it wasn’t so tragic

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

cannot say i notice them any more .. far too many important things to worry about .. like will i stop for petrol first or coffee .. also where was that fcukin camera the last time i was here ?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the open face is a classic sign of someone who hasn't crashed at speed on the road yet.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've not seen the recent Fortnine video on why people buy HD, it's well worth a watch.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
If you've not seen the recent Fortnine video on why people buy HD, it's well worth a watch.

Laughing

I'd say Harley has finally started listening to YouTubers, which is, after all, what Tubers really wanted.

No idea if any brown paper envelopes changed hands, but it sure seems to be one huge coincidence that another YouTube channel has deleted all Harley-critical content.

I've never pretended to be keen on F9.

However, lest anyone should think I'm just down on everyone, I have some great YouTube channel suggestions for anyone interested in Harleys:

Wheels Through Time (WOW - this is really interesting content)
Rie-Store (small channel, deserves a lot more views, has detailed stripdowns if historical Harley engines and gearbox)
HuntingHarleys (annoying American sales type guy but has a bit more integrity and honesty than most of them, and lets drop some interesting facts in some of his videos)

These 3 channels above - they REALLY know their stuff.

You'll enjoy them even if you don't like Harleys.

I mean, F9 could be right or wrong about why old yuppies buy Harley's. Or I could write a little essay about my opinions on the same, here. But at the end of the day, YouTube is getting much better, and we can learn from people who know something you can't necessarily Google in 5 seconds now. YouTube is getting better; try those channels.

Last edited by Bhud on 23:02 - 19 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do like the sound Harleys make. nothing else about them appeals to me though.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

It’s the old adage of being the most efficient way of turning petrol into noise without the nasty side effect of horsepower.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

You know, it's quite amazing. They say they use a particular crank angle for a particular sound, etc. But that sound isn't exactly good? Whatever. But what's amazing is, the old ones (from the days when they were performance bikes) may not have even sounded like that.

I mean, listen to this:
https://youtu.be/TVDOls7JFco

I'd ride the hell out of it. I couldn't believe it when I heard that engine run. A Harley that doesn't sound broken? It even sounds good? What sorcery?
Now I'm not sure I believe the Harley marketing stuff. They've got the aging yuppies, hook, line and sinker.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:11 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:
Feels that way, assless chaps would be more useful. The "Look" is great until you crash and use your face as a brake. For me they should be banned. Yeah that's controversial but that's my take on it anyway.

Mate crushed his lower jaw into a kerb in one. courtesy of a driver turning left without looking. It's amazing he's alive, but there's limits to what he can eat, even after many surgeries. The arthritis already setting in in his mid 40's has to be agony.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The look I see around here is the patchwork shirt, which just reminds me of the lumberjack scene from Monty Python.

Never ridden a Hog. Like the sound of them and would quite fancy a go on a sportster. I reckon I'd enjoy it on the basis of low expectation; just really potter about listening to it.

Open facers . . . fair enough if people want to wear them (like cyclists without helmets; I've crashed with one on and it split in half, glad it was the helmet not my head that took the brunt of the impact - reinforces my view that people who don't wear helmets are helmets). Personally, I'd never wear one and I think anyone that does looks like they've stepped out of the Great Escape.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 07:51 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

It’s the old adage of being the most efficient way of turning petrol into noise and vibration without the nasty side effect of horsepower.

FIFY

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It’s the old adage of being the most efficient way of turning petrol into noise and vibration without the nasty side effect of horsepower.

That's what https://www.viberider.com is for Shocked

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Harley and The LOOK Reply with quote

Brava210 wrote:
Do you get the Piss Pot Helmet as a free gift when you buy a Harley?
I will give you the same advice I give to others when a Harley rider goes past.....

Don't look at him, it's what he wants!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley Davidson is the only bike manufacturer people outside of motorcycling are aware of. Quite a lot if the times ive told someone i ride a motorcycle they will then mention Harley's like its the only bike out there. Its wierd really, they must see other bikes on the road but their mental image of a bike is the Harley.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Harley Davidson is the only bike manufacturer people outside of motorcycling are aware of. Quite a lot if the times ive told someone i ride a motorcycle they will then mention Harley's like its the only bike out there. Its wierd really, they must see other bikes on the road but their mental image of a bike is the Harley.

It's probably because a lot of mainstream, particularly 80s/90s, films are American made and therefore tend to feature American-centric stuff, e.g. Harleys in Terminator (both Arnie's bike and the police bike). Tends to imprint on people's minds I expect. Funny isn't it, there was a Honda (?) in Terminator (first one) but even as a biker, it doesn't imprint in the same way. Then again, T2 was a better film I think.

Edit: slightly embarrassingly, my (non bike-riding) wife said when she watched the Great Escape that the bike Steve McQueen rides "looks like a Triumph". I scoffed, saying it's supposed to be a German bike . . . turns out after some background reading they did use a Triumph for the filming! I know my place. Embarassed

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Funny isn't it, there was a Honda (?) in Terminator (first one) but even as a biker, it doesn't imprint in the same way. Then again, T2 was a better film I think.

Yeah but no-one who doesn't like the movie is going to remember a gutless boxy little scooter that the waitress rides to work. They will remember the bike that Arnie is getting chased on while blowing up the bad guy.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
Funny isn't it, there was a Honda (?) in Terminator (first one) but even as a biker, it doesn't imprint in the same way. Then again, T2 was a better film I think.

Yeah but no-one who doesn't like the movie is going to remember a gutless boxy little scooter that the waitress rides to work. They will remember the bike that Arnie is getting chased on while blowing up the bad guy.

I was actually referring to the CB750!

https://img.joemonster.org/images/vad/img_32733/24ef63b835c9033dc4e3e7117b813343.jpg

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:01 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a half face and a full face helmet that I wear on my Harley, full face mainly, I do have aviator sunglasses, Ray Bans bought cheap off ebay as had scratched lenses and had tinted prescription lenses put in them.

The LOOK seems popular with Enfield and Triumph owners too.

Harley Pan America 150 bhp, new Sportster 121 bhp - both water cooled.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of Terminator reminded me of the Honda XR 4 stroke with 2 stroke noise and many many gears Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
All this talk of Terminator reminded me of the Honda XR 4 stroke with 2 stroke noise and many many gears Laughing

I think I counted 18? But that was a long time ago.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator 2: great movie. Probably sold more Harleys than any movie ever made before. Nothing subtle about the suggestion "as a kid you rode Jap dirt bikes [no you didn't] as befits a cool kid, and now you're a grown up [tough guy with legendary riding skills, not an accountant on your first or second bike] you ride a Harley."

Resident Evil: terrible movie; haven't even seen it. Features a modern BMW adventure/crossover thingy. The stuntwoman even had a really nasty crash, and lost her arm and shattered her spine. Will never sell a single bike.

Harley was definitely a Hollywood thing. John Wayne morphed into Arnie, and you can be Arnie too by buying this bike! I think those days are over. They sold cigarettes the same way, you know.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3