Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Classic bike insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Classic bike insurance Reply with quote

OK, so my classic/future classic is hopefully landing tomorrow. Looking at insurance policies as my current insurer can't do a multibike policy.

Trying to get my head around this; the bike is 26 years old so qualifies for classic policies (plus the mileage is going to be low). Pricing is pretty competitive and similar to "mainstream" insurance companies. Difference being that if I go with a mainstream company, I'll start to accrue NCD on that policy, whereas on the classic policy I won't as apparently they don't take into account NCD?!

So I guess my question is, any reason I should be going for a classic policy? Other benefits I've missed? At the moment, I can't actually see the value given that while not much difference this year, next year I'm likely to see a much better deal with mainstream companies.

Cheers.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to watch out for anything that's marketed towards older people, such as classic vehicle insurance. It's like SAGA holidays - all that happens if you buy is you end up paying well over the odds for a nasty package holiday on a ghastly tourist trap island, being served yesterday's preheated leftovers, while the kids next door listen to boom-boom music and bang each other while drunk on cheap booze. In other words, you're a walking wallet.

Last edited by Bhud on 18:07 - 20 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought as much! The only difference I can see is the "agreed value" payout, but in my case I'm less bothered about that.

Cheers Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:02 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it because if you try to get European recovery on a 31 year old bike (VFR750, oh the irony, they are quite happy to cover the Enfield) any other way, you need a second mortgage.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:09 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 39.5 year old CB250 that I'm waiting to eek out the 40 year jobby to insure as you know its not passing an MOT, tax exempt and all I gotta pay is insurance...

A quote on classic is double that of MCE (which I'll use because I'm not actually going to ride it, its just cheaper to keep insurance on it and not lose my NCB) and double means its £200 rather than the £98 they want for FC. Laughing

My experience is its not worth it, unless its something seriously classic and they have agreed values and its rare as shit. I'd consider it then, same as I used Adrian flux for my old Supra, they gave it a value and every year I commented what had changed and they took that onboard and increase/decrease based on their valuations. Helpful if you got some exotica, but not if its just some crusty CB350G for example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably check the small print; the quotes from mainstream companies include breakdown. You'd think being given the info on the vehicle they'd actually consider this in the cover, but on reflection I wouldn't be surprised if the breakdown had a limitation clause, e.g. vehicle must be less than 10 years old.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my vehicle apply for classic insurance but I make sure it isn't mainly for the NCD. As the bikes themselves cost like £70 to insure it's not really going to get less than that for me. That said, once you have just 2 or 3 years NCD then it is kinda moot anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I had a multi bike classic insurance with Lynbrooks, included legal, get you home and was very good service, might be worth a phone call.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of remember Hastings sold me my policies for two BSAs. Lapsed now as one sold and the other SORNed. It was cheap. Under 100.

With regards to 'earning' NCD on a vehicle, its more or less reduntant if the gouging kunts hammer any other policy you have with loadings if you have a claim on one policy. Did I say Kunts?

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
All my vehicle apply for classic insurance but I make sure it isn't mainly for the NCD. As the bikes themselves cost like £70 to insure it's not really going to get less than that for me. That said, once you have just 2 or 3 years NCD then it is kinda moot anyway.

Have a look at Footman James or Lynbrook I have used both and there is no vehicle age or mileage limit.

The recovery that comes bundled with these policies, unfortunately usually involve the RAC. I have found them to be truly dreadful when dealing with motorcycles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1