Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD 2: Hamilton - PASSED

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: MOD 2: Hamilton - PASSED Reply with quote

Hi all, doing my MOD 2 in Hamilton next week. I know the area and I have the benefit of having seen the DVSA examiner driving around with people on their MOD 2 tests so I have been driving around in those areas to practice.

There is a couple of tricky bits though I would love your thoughts on.

The first is the location of the DVSA test centre itself:

View of the starting point for motorcycles DVSA Hamilton

The blue bike in the foreground is the DVSA examiners' bike that he follows candidates on.

View of direction you immediately set off from

You start in the box and then turn right and go to the give way at the bottom of the road. You can either be instructed to go right or left, but it seems there is a preference towards going left.

View from exiting the give way and turning left

The first issue is right here because cars double park all the way around that turn and there is another two give ways immediately around the corner, first going to the right and the other to the left. The one on the left there is no way a driver could see anything coming from the left because of the double parked cars.

View from the main road showing the two give-ways in close proximity

So if I go through and a car comes out of the give-way, if I initiate emergency action and pull to the side, is that good enough reaction or will I fail because the emerging vehicle also likely hit the brakes?

The next tricky part is a little bit further along that actual road where there is a cross-roads and normally you are asked to turn right.

View of the crossroads

When you turn right, there is normally cars parked very close to the junction itself.

View of the road and parked vehicles

What is the correct procedure for this? Is it a fluid motion out into the middle of the road after turning into it with an additional shoulder check immediately after coming into the road? Do I keep the right indicator on until I move out to the side then cancel it?

At the end of that road, you'd turn right and go through the next crossroads to do the hill start on the steep hill on the other side.

TLooking towards the hill start hill

When he gives the instruction, is it ok to pull in lower down the hill where it is less steeper or will he be expecting me to pull in further up the hill? I expect the real answer to this will be to do with the timing of the instructions.

View towards interchange for the A725 dual carriageway

At this point here, you will notice that the single road becomes three lanes. I take it that if I am going straight and taking the middle lane, I don't have to indicate and only need to do a shoulder check?

To be honest this next part is what I think will be the hardest part and I am certain that everyone is taken through here on their test because its tricky.

Behold the shitty scenario area

This part has the problem that the shop always has double parking outside it and it has busses that go either direction up and down the road, it has traffic calming (big square roadbumps) and drivers generally just fucking go for it with no fucks given.

If I see traffic coming, is it OK to just wait until I see a clear path through or will I get hammered for hesitancy? The problem with this section and further down the road towards both mini roundabouts is that it's very congested, especially in the early morning when I will be doing my test.

I am just hoping that the stars align, and Biker Jesus is looking over me on the day because the roads in Hamilton can be very situational.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 11:34 - 29 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:19 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop overthinking it! .. Ride as you would if the examiner wasn't there!

As long as you do correct signals, mirrors shoulder checks, speed limits, make good progress and don't cause other motorists problems you'll be fine.

Don't let your nerves get the better of you!

Good luck.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At this point here, you will notice that the single road becomes three lanes.
I take it that if I am going straight and taking the middle lane, I don't have to indicate and only need to do a shoulder check?"

IMO you're changing lanes and moving right (to go straight on)
I'd have advised a pupil to do a typical the Mirror Signal Maneuver for this in a car
On a bike:
mirror, signal, safety check before moving over to centre lane.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
Stop overthinking it! .. Ride as you would if the examiner wasn't there!

As long as you do correct signals, mirrors shoulder checks, speed limits, make good progress and don't cause other motorists problems you'll be fine.

Don't let your nerves get the better of you!

Good luck.

Thanks for the words of support but for me it's easier said than done mate. I am still a week away from it but my arse is making buttons. I am not worried about the costs of re-sitting the thing that's more upsetting is the amount of time to wait before a re-test is possible. I just want my big-boy bike as soon as possible.

WD Forte wrote:
IMO you're changing lanes and moving right (to go straight on)
I'd have advised a pupil to do the Mirror Signal Maneuver for this
with rider safety check of course

Thanks, I was just worried that I would get done for signalling and not moving into the right lane. I would have asked my instructor at BikeRite but we've not had any specific MOD 2 training (and won't until the morning of the test for a couple hours) in the Hamilton area and I've not seen him since I done my MOD 1 which was at Shieldhall in Glasgow.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant help thinking how empty those roads look

this is typical for around here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4768493,-2.5410466,3a,75y,38.21h,72.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGHUVCz4VInUfCu7pSoQ6Bw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

SlimRick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't ride like a twat, you'll be fine. Mod1 is harder than Mod 2. Mod 2 us a case of riding as if your mum was pillion.

I filtered past a bus, puled out in front of a BMW, and did 60 in a 50 limit but still passed. As long as you do your lifesavers and don't cause anyone to swerve or slow down because of your actions you'll be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Mate trust me the pics are unusually quiet, there are plenty streets in Hamilton that are like that pic but worse because there is a corner. Also Hamilton is shit for having give ways that you can't see anything coming from one direction because the main road is a tight corner and there's big fuck-off trees or hedges running down the line of sight.

Also in some you don't get as good a view as on the Google view (remember the Google camera is on a stick that adds about 60 - 100 cm of additional height above a standard car height).

SlimRick wrote:
If you don't ride like a twat, you'll be fine. Mod1 is harder than Mod 2. Mod 2 us a case of riding as if your mum was pillion.

I filtered past a bus, puled out in front of a BMW, and did 60 in a 50 limit but still passed. As long as you do your lifesavers and don't cause anyone to swerve or slow down because of your actions you'll be fine.

To be fair this is the one thing that gives me some comfort. I've been told by my instructor that the DVSA examiner at Hamilton is extremely well thought-of and very pro-biker and wants people to pass. The DVSA statistics put MOD 2 passes in Hamilton at 2 in 3 people passing whereas the statistics for MOD 2 passes at Shieldhall (Glasgow) are 1 in 2 people passing. The best centre around the Central Belt area in Scotland seems to be Kirkcaldy where the statistics show 4 in 5 people passing MOD 2 there.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not any kind of mod2 expert as I got my bike licence out
of a fag packet many years ago.
I was an ADI working in driving schools in in that London for few years and still remember the anxiety and tension before and during all my driving and instructor tests.
I passed all my bike, car and Instructor exams and tests first time
fuck knows how Very Happy

I use to tell my pupils
"If the examiner is in a pissy mood there's nothing you can do about it
What you can do is give them a safe smooth drive though"

Smooth shows good control from plenty of practise
Safe show you've done your homework and are paying attention.
What else can you do?

You're bound to feel some tension or anxiety, that's normal
most of us do when we feel someone is critically watching us
Check yourself for tension, don't put a deathgrip on the bars
Don't sit like a wooden doll, its OK to move slightly as you constantly assess the situation around you, especially your head.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing i'd add re: head moves

Make sure THEY can see you moving it. They need to be able to see that you're doing what you're meant to be doing.

Even if a slight sideways movement means you can see, it doesn't mean they've seen that you have.

And remember they are observing you from the moment YOU get on the bike.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I'm not any kind of mod2 expert as I got my bike licence out of a fag packet many years ago.

Lol me too... you were out sent to do a figure of eight circuit while the examiner scampered up and down some alleys trying to see your approaches etc.. - half the time you were out of sight - thank the Lord.
Then there was the 'as if a child has run out..' bit at the end.

Still managed to fail my first effort age 17 & 2 months

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really much help, but on the day it comes down to the examiner.... some of them are cunts, some of them aren't.

They aren't looking for a perfect ride, they are just looking for a confident rider (not to be confused with cocky rider)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I think you'll walk it* - nay bother.

Courage mon brave!

* I have no evidence to support this other than you come across as a fair-minded, competent 'good ol' boy' as we say down these parts. Albeit a bit lardy.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
FWIW I think you'll walk it* - nay bother.

Courage mon brave!

* I have no evidence to support this other than you come across as a fair-minded, competent 'good ol' boy' as we say down these parts. Albeit a bit lardy.

LMAO Laughing thanks all for the words of encouragement. Hopefully won't be doing a ride of shame back from the test centre next Thursday.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:17 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try to go round the outside of him at Copse.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he takes you up past Uddingston
pick us up some Tunnocks caramel wafers will ya?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any traffic/congestion related faffing just make sure you are a car door width minimum away from parked vehicles. If you have to wait for others to clear out so it is safe then so be it, you don’t sacrifice safety for position or progress.

The three lane bit I would be shoulder checking yup, but I think if I had someone following closely I may be tempted to give a brief indication to stop them clambering over you to get to that middle lane, depends on their road position, if they are hunting down your left side don’t worry.

In built up areas they want you to demonstrate hazard awareness, not rapid progress, keep your head moving, looking in to junctions 150 yards ahead if possible.

Take 1 minute and breathe deeply, it will help you calm yourself.

You will be fine, you can do it. (I did, and I’m a real f’kin donut)

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching videos from Moto Ecosse on YouTube last night and he was saying that you lifesaver on roundabouts in the direction which you are turning but he does them over both sides anyway.

Am I wrong with the direction because up until now, I have been going by anything up-to-and-including-12 o'clock junctions*** gets a lifesaver over the right shoulder and anything from 12 o'clock onwards is a lifesaver over the left shoulder?

***(as shown on signs if they are there as some roundabouts show straight on but the exit is actually at 3 o'clock position)

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn’t matter a fucking hoot now I passed!

CBT - 12/12/20
Theory - 17/12/20
MOD 1 - 14/06/21
MOD 2 - 29/07/21

Two minors: one for going over the give way line by half a wheel length and one for un-necessary indicating from moving off .

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Doesn’t matter a fucking hoot now I passed!

Well thank Christ and the wee baby donkey for that! Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:50 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo yay etc. Wub

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. Now we have another fat angry scotsman on the road to take up the missing flag of Borg Very Happy

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the feeling.. Euphoria.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Fats. The fucking palaver is behind you.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats - now you can stack the weight you lost fretting back on Very Happy

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:13 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.

Now get yourself a Scooter and an Airbag vest and you are good to go.
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3