Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my bike back from a main dealer service (nobody was in the service dept though, so one of the sales guys gave it to me instead). No paperwork to say what was done, the chain hadn't been cleaned or lubed (it wasn't in a bad condition when it went in, but I'd still expect them to clean/lube it) and the bike had road muck on it from when they'd test ridden it in the rain. Again, I was collecting it on a mucky day so it'd have got mucky on the ride home anyway, but that's not the point.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I rarely go on Facebook but what's the deal with these posts?

"Name a fish without an 'A' in it. Bet you can't Wink"

Dolphin Laughing

If they're just some intellectual exercise to pass the time why frame them as an insult?

Dolphin is a mammal so that's a red herring. You've been stitched up like a kipper!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:53 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to carp on.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it increases their post count or something. Its the fb version of clickbait.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:00 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I rarely go on Facebook but what's the deal with these posts?

"Name a fish without an 'A' in it. Bet you can't Wink"

Dolphin Laughing

If they're just some intellectual exercise to pass the time why frame them as an insult?

They draw you into replying. The algorithm then shows you more of their posts. Then they ask you for things that are the answers to security questions like "75% of people who respond can't remember the name of their first primary school" or "What was your first car? No lying to make yourself look good.".

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a step too far to call it the Devils work. I no longer have an account on it.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't find it to be the Devils Work, but I think that's cos I tend to ignore the clickbaity things.

Now and then I might do a quiz, if it amuses me, or if a friend has been shown to recently post a very stupid response to one of those questiony things.

But I don't make it my life's work to be on there and get dragged into everything lame. I'm currently getting a load of "buy a quarter of a share of a tiny box apartment in a fairly shitty London area for not much money" because I indolently clicked on one that popped up and did look quite interesting. But I'm not going to BUY one, hence I just click a couple of those "hide this post" things, and they will eventually bugger off and drop away to annoy someone else.

Its not the be-all and end-all if they attempt nefarious marketing ploys on you. We're all used to advertising anyway, and employ methods to avoid having to look at it.

Meh.
I mostly just post selfies or pictures of my cats anyway Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mostly been having a gear-grindingly frantic day, first time I've had proper "pressure" in this new job, and it was right from the top: the PA of the CEO emailing me saying "He wants to work on the agenda so can we have the minutes you were given to type please".

And (worse) she had to ask me twice Shocked
Luckily, I'm starting to remember how to put my nose to the grindstone.
Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:53 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i had a day planned that should have been full and under control but not epically busy.

However, despite being Johnny on the fucking spot all day, every other fucker conspired to make me be running constantly late by variously having more things to do than they had booked in, turning up with more than one animal, arriving 25 minutes late for a 30 minute appointment, having reception staff book things in to be examined in the time set aside for me to interpret and report lab tests I'd done earlier and the icing on the cake being colleagues nicking off with the equipment I'd literaly just got together and set out to use on the next patient as I was literally calling them into the consulting room. Twice. "Oi, you! Bring that back here and get your own!"

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw Stinkers Laughing I hate days like that Laughing Laughing Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 18 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epitome of "I'm all right... it's every other fucker!"

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 18 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
...I just click a couple of those "hide this post" things, and they will eventually bugger off and drop away to annoy someone else.

Conversely, I've been clicking on a few "don't recommend this channel" things on YouTube, and the buggers just seem to double down on them all Mad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex-wife is holding me to ransom over the final divorce. She's now insisting I take out life insurance to cover her child support and other costs for the kids until they are all 18 if I die before.

She already has enough to buy a decent house from a majority share in the of the house I bought before we met Rolling Eyes , that money is in the bank 'cos she lives with new boyfriend in his large house and works rarely, preferring to swan about in her 4 x 4.

She insists it's my duty to make this provision for them all although this was never discussed at mediation. There would be enough in the sale of my house to cover all eventualities but that's not enough for her ' you could change you will' she says. The sum isn't huge probs only 30 a month on top of the CSA paymenst, but FFs it's yet more hassle and having to dance to her fucking tune still 4 years after she walked out for being 'unhappy'. Grrr!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Last edited by A100man on 12:12 - 19 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:08 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
My ex-wife is holding me to ransom over the final divorce. She's now insisting I take out life insurance to cover her child support and other costs for the kids until they are all 18 if I die before.

She already has enough to buy a decent house from a majority share in the of the house I bought before we met Rolling Eyes , that money is in the bank 'cos she lives with new boyfriend in his large house and works rarely, preferring to swan about in her LandRover Evoque.

She insists it's my duty to make this provision for them all although this was never discussed at mediation. There would be enough in the sale of my house to cover all eventualities but that's not enough for her ' you could change you will' she says. The sum isn't huge probs only 30 a month on top of the CSA paymenst, but FFs it's yet more hassle and having to dance to her fucking tune still 4 years after she walked out for being 'unhappy'. Grrr!

Jesus fucking Christ.

What a mess.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
My ex-wife is holding me to ransom over the final divorce.

What's she doing / not doing to threaten such a thing?

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:54 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Nobody ever went to prison because of a loose stairs carpet !

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A100man wrote:

What's she doing / not doing to threaten such a thing?

Delaying the process further - hinting at a court judgement, all things that will likely cost me more money and unnecessary stress when I just want it over.

Its not like she's on the breadline either. Stacks in the bank form my house, significant CSA from me each month and living for free with boyfriend who's quite wealthy in his own right.

I'll probably suck it up to get it over with. It'll probably only add up to another 1500 over 5 years which in the scheme of things is negligible - but I resent the affront .

Last edited by A100man on 12:23 - 19 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:
A100man wrote:

Nobody ever went to prison because of a loose stairs carpet !

Can you be sure of that? Thinking

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what stage are you at, if you don't mind me asking, decree nisi, decree absolute?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
At what stage are you at, if you don't mind me asking, decree nisi, decree absolute?

Getting close to absolute (I hope). Trying to get an agreeable consent order in place.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you wait it out? Normally ppl try and get stuff out of the way quickly as they have another partner lined up that's itching to get married, get a joint mortgage, etc. You might feel she's got you over a barrel but maybe it's the other way round and all the "moon on a stick" stuff is to keep you off-balance.

Buy a decent lawyer, money well spent Smile

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the decent legal bit. If she wasn't going to be a cnut about it it'd be signed and done by now.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Can you wait it out? Normally ppl try and get stuff out of the way quickly as they have another partner lined up that's itching to get married, get a joint mortgage, etc. You might feel she's got you over a barrel but maybe it's the other way round and all the "moon on a stick" stuff is to keep you off-balance.

Buy a decent lawyer, money well spent Smile

I'm not too displeased with the deal I landed in the end. Things will be a bit tight for the next few years but after that it should get better. I've had a lawyer -supposed to be a good one but they said go to mediation if you can which we did. This should be the last hurdle.,, I'll probably go with it, the quotes are quite low, but of course in this instance it really should be the person who benefits who takes out the policy - they have the incentive to keep up the payments after all...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I'm not too displeased with the deal I landed in the end. Things will be a bit tight for the next few years but after that it should get better. I've had a lawyer -supposed to be a good one but they said go to mediation if you can which we did. This should be the last hurdle.,, I'll probably go with it, the quotes are quite low, but of course in this instance it really should be the person who benefits who takes out the policy - they have the incentive to keep up the payments after all...

Take out the policy but make the beneficiaries the kids.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A100man wrote:

Take out the policy but make the beneficiaries the kids.

Exactly this.

Make sure she can't touch it whatever happens.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 65 of 178