Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:20 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to service and reassemble my clutch master cylinder today. I bought a master cylinder service kit and a new lever and set about assembling it.

Failed.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/honda-vfr750f-1997-v-england-clutch-master-cylinder_bigect4l41f__0500_d7df.gif

The service kit contains all the parts labelled 4.

The lever kit contains all the parts labelled 22

Neither contains parts 2 and 3. they have no direct mechanical connection to the assembly when the lever is removed, they are free to fall on the floor (and presumable have done at some point in the last 10 years).

They cost more than a good pattern service kit and lever combined off honda. Only one seller of pattern ones on ebay and even that was £15.

If you crashed the bike and broke the lever, these bits would be very likely to disappear and your replacement lever would be totally useless.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a NIP for doing 38 in a 30, in a Skoda. I'd have thought congratulations should be in order instead....

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had plans to go out on a bike this morning.
Well that went pear-shaped Sad .

God must have unblocked his drains, cause it poured down here like the apocalypse Shocked .
Fug that sh*t! I’m not going out in that!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Just got a NIP for doing 38 in a 30, in a Skoda. I'd have thought congratulations should be in order instead....

Was it an Estelle?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Was it an Estelle?

A Scala. Its not the model so much as the pipe and slippers mentality Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Is that still 'naughty boy, have a lovely lecture' territory or straight to 3 ponts and £100?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Is that still 'naughty boy, have a lovely lecture' territory or straight to 3 ponts and £100?

Apparently a course is offered for up to 38 in a 30, so I may just sneak in. I hope so, as having to remember points, date of offence etc when sorting insurance is a pain...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I got a tug for doing 80-something on the A1 on my old Guzzi. I got congratulated by the Durham Constabulary for that one Thumbs Up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Unlucky mate, I was hooning it on the Edinburgh bypass and went through a fixed location speed camera, was doing over a ton when I seen it and was too late to significantly reduce my speed for it, was probably doing around 85 - 90 when it flashed.

Then again that was more than two weeks ago and nothing ever came through the post so I've got away with that one.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subscription on my Ring doorbell camera going up by 40%.
Unsubscribe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Unsubscribe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instructables.com/Low-Cost-Arduino-Smart-Doorbell/%3famp_page=true

Build your own. There's loads of wireless and internet connected doorbell plans out there.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Unsubscribe.

EUFY dual camera doorbell.

That is all.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:08 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastarding fucking computers. They get worse the longer time goes on.

This particular issue is not helped by the fact all our consultation PCs have been set to go onto a lock screen after 3 minutes so I have to log back into them every bastarding fucking time I want to do something.

Anyway. I'd forgotten to click a button that releases the record on our database to so the receptionist can charge it out.

As usual, fucking lockscreen. So I click it. Only I accidentally clicked one of the uneecessary bits of random shite microsoft insist on putting on their lockscreens so instead of going back into my terminal session, it opens the Edge browser to show me pictures of whateverthefuckitwas. Only nobody uses this as a PC, it's a terminal access point so edge has never been opened. Can you close it? No you fucking can't, so I had to go through all the fecking popover setup on edge, then close it, then log back into the terminal session, then log back into the database, THEN click the button.

Wait 3 minutes and I might have to do the same again. I have raised an IT ticket about the imminent danger of a thin client PC with monitor attached getting ripped off the wall and landing on top of someones car via an open window if someone doesn't at least triple the lockscreen timeouts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Laughing Laughing Laughing ^^^

Go find a cows arse to stick your hand up. You will, I'm sure, feel much better.

Actually I'm totally sympathetic. Our Shell office computers ust to go to screen savers of happy Shell people all over the world if you so much as looked away from the screen. Thern you always had to log in again. Once a month it forced you to change passwords, cretinous system that it was.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:00 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Once a month it forced you to change passwords, cretinous system that it was.

So by the end of the year you're on 'Passw*rd12'?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the new shite stops that. Different random non similar required each time. 16 characters, one special, one cap, one number etc. Passwords remembered for 2 years.

Yawn bored etc.

Doesn't stop some chunt from clicking on shite they shouldn't but does make everyone else's lives that bit more irritating.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:05 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Oh the new shite stops that. Different random non similar required each time. 16 characters, one special, one cap, one number etc. Passwords remembered for 2 years.

Yawn bored etc.

Doesn't stop some chunt from clicking on shite they shouldn't but does make everyone else's lives that bit more irritating.

Yeah, then a someone gets a keylogger on there and all they need to do is search for alphanumeric strings which don't appear in the dictionary.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Password rules became so convoluted that they have in fact weakened passwords, and to get around this inane must be this that and the other, which nobody can remember as they're directed to change them often, people write them down, or save them in a file, so even fucking worse you can now get full access to all apps, rather than guess just one.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Once a month it forced you to change passwords, cretinous system that it was.

So by the end of the year you're on 'Passw*rd12'?

You wouldn't get that one past the filters on our system Laughing

Timeouts at 3 minutes are a tad extreme. We have ours set to 10 minutes which was a pragmatic decision on my part and we still get people thinking that it's too short. Not that they get any sympathy from me on that. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Password rules became so convoluted that they have in fact weakened passwords, and to get around this inane must be this that and the other, which nobody can remember as they're directed to change them often, people write them down, or save them in a file, so even fucking worse you can now get full access to all apps, rather than guess just one.

I set a policy about 10 years ago that requires unique passwords on reset with a history of, IIRC, 24. We have a minimum length of 10 characters for users and 16 characters for privileged accounts with a requirement for at least one upper case character, one number and a special character. change frequency is currently 60 days.

Oh and we always use MFA for external systems and any time the user isn't on premise

That's going to change to longer passwords with a recommendation of the usual 3 or 4 unconnected words and an upper case, a number and special character. The payoff will be that change frequency will be annual. Entropy trumps complexity every time Smile

I actively encourage the use of password managers and we offer Keepass on the corporate app store.

We operate a filter that detects and rejects commonly used easily guessable passwords.

Passwords are on their way out anyway - biometrics will supercede them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting to the point where I just don't do stuff because i can't be arsed tracking down the login. I've stopped using two of our labs because they use online submission forms. It's FAR quicker and easier to fill in a paper form and put it in the package. I actually challenged one of my nurses to a race to submit a blood test. Paper was twice as fast, and that was with the printer playing ball, which they often aren't.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's getting to the point where I just don't do stuff because i can't be arsed tracking down the login. I've stopped using two of our labs because they use online submission forms. It's FAR quicker and easier to fill in a paper form and put it in the package. I actually challenged one of my nurses to a race to submit a blood test. Paper was twice as fast, and that was with the printer playing ball, which they often aren't.

There's no doubt that some systems just aren't fit for purpose. My OH works for the local GP as a medical secretary/dispenser and finds some of the systems immensely frustrating. It's always down to poor design and usually when some antiquated DOS based system has been bodged and patched over and over to bring it up to some sort of standard to operate on newer technology rather than investing in redesign to to the job properly. And of course the testers are the system users.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:52 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

There's no doubt that some systems just aren't fit for purpose. My OH works for the local GP as a medical secretary/dispenser and finds some of the systems immensely frustrating. It's always down to poor design and usually when some antiquated DOS based system has been bodged and patched over and over to bring it up to some sort of standard to operate on newer technology rather than investing in redesign to to the job properly. And of course the testers are the system users.

These lab interfaces are so thoroughly modern they have lost all functionality. The web interface has clearly been designed to be accessed on a touchscreen device by a fatfingered moron. There are so many mandatory fields you spend ages looking for irrelevant details (or just make them up). Think passenger locator form. You often actually can't find the product you are looking for because it relies on a "smart" search algorithm to offer you options, no option for a comlete list so if I don't call a test the same thing they do, it's as if it isn't there (so if I type 'pancreatic lipase', nothing comes up because it's actually under 'specCPL').

The clincher for me is if one did actually access it using a touchscreen device, I would then have to print out the resulting form and a postage label on two different printers. Printer connectivity and functionality is most definately not somewhere touchscreen devices excel. I have enough problems using a printer that's directly plugged into a desktop PC.

I have of course told them this directly at their last sales pitch but they aren't interested, so they just don't get any work from me.

I did have a chuckle when I recently had to sign a two page document outlining my security responsabilities when accessing a government database which will ONLY run on Internet Explorer. I have also pointed this out to our IT company because they're making noises about upgrading the windows version.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:04 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm grinding gears.

Lying, bone idle, incompetant tradesmen.

The door lock at work is malfunctioning. It's secure but it rattles about and won't stay on the sneck so people keep being locked out. The current solution is a fresh piece of duck tape every morning.

Got a "locksmith" in to fit a new one. He fucked about for a bit then told us it's an obsolete door and they don't make locks for them any more so we need a new door Kthnksbye.

I smelled a rat so had a look. It's an aluminium door and has a high-end, totally industry standard lock plate with screw in locks. Too me all of 30 seconds to find all the exact, direct replacement parts for them online. The lock cylinders are absolutely fine, the lockplate is beyond worn out.

What he actually meant to say was "I'm really sorry, your lockplate is badly worn and I've burred out the head on one of the grub screws and stripped a thread on the door trying to overtighten them to take up the slack. Thing is, I'm too bone-idle to drill out the screw so I can remove it and too incompetant to fix the stripped thread."

I've told the practice manager I can fix it but it'll take me two hours now instead of the 15 minutes it would have taken because I'll have to centre burr and drill out a grub screw and fit a helicoil.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuralgia , I’ve got it, my head fugging hurts Evil or Very Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 86 of 178