Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 11 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, zombie aftershave, perhaps! Laughing
Was there a topnote of blood and rotting flesh?

Real answer:
Its probably something with oakmoss, there are a family of fragrances that smell "ferny" (fougere)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foug%C3%A8re

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 11 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally had a more gear-grinding moment.

I had a call about the Snarley and there are a lot more things wrong with it (of course) than originally anticipated.
Not unexpected, considering all I've really done is put petrol and oil in it, occasionally air in the tyres Shifty
I'm expecting a quote for the price/ish on Monday *sigh*
I would probably have spent [however-much] on proper maintenance and care by now anyway Rolling Eyes

Might have to work harder at putting the Milanese Falcon (Suzuki) back on the road instead for a bit. Mr. Green

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:48 - 12 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain, and chrome.

Can see this bike being hard work lol.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 12 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch slip Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the old fella's bought himself a Harley. I started with "...so I'll be buying you arse-less chaps for Christmas?" and kept on winding up the pressure but to no avail Sad

"It really shifts!" [on a test ride] I should hope it does with a 103 cubic inch engine Shocked

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
So the old fella's bought himself a Harley. I started with "...so I'll be buying you arse-less chaps for Christmas?" and kept on winding up the pressure but to no avail Sad

"It really shifts!" [on a test ride] I should hope it does with a 103 cubic inch engine Shocked

They do shift, but the problem (one of them) is they're what people think a motorbike is in the same way as you would think of cars if all you had seen of them was watching a few episodes of Whacky Races.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do folk insist on getting angry and waving fists / flashing lights when they are incapable/ unwilling to pass a slower moving vehicle in a NSL area? If you’re not to pass then fine but don’t get annoyed when I do from behind you. There’s been lots of spaces and opportunities for you to go, just because you’re happy pottering round at 40mph on a lead straight dry bit of road doesn’t mean I want to keep you company you morons!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
They do shift, but the problem (one of them) is they're what people think a motorbike is in the same way as you would think of cars if all you had seen of them was watching a few episodes of Whacky Races.

A have a friend who's more into classic Harleys* and even he said "good luck going round corners!" This thing has a Vance & Heinz 57 exhaust, the only way it could be more obnoxious is if you put one of those oversized spoked wheels on the front.

Then again my father-in-law's general attitude is "fuck 'em" who? "whoever..." The Wild One meets Last of the Summer Wine Laughing

* that's not an oil leak, it's just marking its territory

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your father in law.

Mine is loud and slow and handles like a boat but it's fucking magic.

Seems to be a lot of folk with arseless chaps in their heed on this forum mind lol.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
* that's not an oil leak, it's just marking its territory

I need to use that one!

Mind you, my Snarley is in the workshop, probably won't be out for AGES, and even then I doubt they will have fixed the oil leak Rolling Eyes
But its only a little leak ... Before it went in the shop, the Senior Consort had taken to putting a drip tray out for it so that me and my noisy leaky old boat didn't mess up his fancy driveway Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to get my eyes tested (been maybe 4-5 years) - turns out I need 3 weeks of treatment with moisturizing eye drops before I can get contact lenses cos my eyes are so DRY.

But she mentioned that she could see the early signs of *gasp* ... cataracts.

At first I freaked, then she explained that they are only "signs of it", but that it takes ages (years) for them to get bad enough to do anything about, and even then its relatively easy to get rid of them.

But cataracts ... wow, eeek! Scary territory to suddenly be stumbling into .

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:53 - 13 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet the drip tray was more for you than the snarley.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:12 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point i'd like to throw in my 3 favourite words.

Moist.
Seepage.
Discharge.

Always fun working out the crossover points where one runs into the other .......

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:32 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little bastard is on his way to hospital for suspected appendicitis.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:47 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've never done one and never will. Thats most of a day of my life wasted trying to educate me about identifying speed limits and telling me that the faster you go, the more damage. I know and are fully aware of both these facts and when I speed I'm consciously doing so.

3 points means feck all on a licence. I'd rather pay £20 quid (the difference between fine and course) than waste that much of my life.

The fine used to be less than the course a few years ago but then they realised that insurance companies didn't give a fuck about 3 points for speeding.

People should be cautious about turning down the offer of doing a speed awareness course and taking it to court instead.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-784-293595

Driver gets offered the opportunity to do an £85 speed awareness course but opted to go to court instead.

Driver wins a fine of £1,152, has to pay the victim surcharge surcharge of £115 and £620 court costs plus gets 4 points on his licence.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

i hope all is ok for him Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:59 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

i hope all is ok for him Thumbs Up

Awaiting the results of the tests. Caught it very early but the paramedicas couldn't be definitive so they arranged for him to go straight into a ward. If it is appedicitis he'll be in overnight after an op.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
waiting the results of the tests. Caught it very early but the paramedicas couldn't be definitive so they arranged for him to go straight into a ward. If it is appedicitis he'll be in overnight after an op.

Hope it all goes well and it hasn't ruptured yet

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:33 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surgeon has cleared him to come home because it stopped hurting at about 1 o'clock and hasn't started again. The recovery was aided by calpol and nurophen but they would have worn off by now.

Fever has gone as well.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good news Thumbs Up
so what was causing the pain?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:23 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many things from the mundane to the exotic but most of them aren't as quickly lethal as appendicitis. Mrs Bastard had many names of illnesses mentioned when they said 'It could be this, this, this or this, but we don't think it's appendicitis.' He'd seen the paramedics 8 and a half hours before hand and had been in the ward for a good 7 and a half hours by then (paramedics arranged for him to go straight in bypassing A&E so clearly did think it was a strong possibility.)

It was my first thought when I was woken at quarter to five this morning because of where it hurt.

Paramedics thought it was likely (I didn't mention it as the reason why I'd called them) and the hospital seemed to think it was likely up until it stopped hurting and didn't come back after 3 hours. He left the hospital 5 and a half hours after the pain went away.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news Nobby. Smile

That must be a huge relief for you all.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:51 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely. It's been a very long day and I'm, for once, very happy that I was wrong.

On the plus side, the paramedics behaved impecably. I'd actually rung back on 999 to cancel the call because he started to feel better (it's a known sypmtom that I didn't know about) but they insisted on coming anyway AND arranged the bypass of A&E.

Can't speak about the hospital side, I stayed home cause 2 others (that should be able to look after themselves) simply because if Mrs Bastard needed something I could just jump on the bike and take it in.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 15 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the blokes from work had a bad smash on his bike on his way into work this morning. The guy was supposed to
be doing my forklift refresher next week. My manager called me into the office to tell me about it today. Poor sod only
just got back off his honeymoon last week, his legs are proper fucked and he's fucked up an eye socket too. Can only guess
from the crash pic, but it looks head on. Sick
I do hope he recovers, have chatted bikes with him a few times and he's a sound fella.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/avonmouth-traffic-live-air-ambulance-7204100

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:34 - 15 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a motorcycle, that looks like one hell of an impact. My friend died head on with a similar sized van and the van didn't look nearly as fucked as that, I hope he pulls through and gets fixed up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 90 of 178