Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to bits and fit a bigger AA battery - that will be all that's inside. Then it will last longer, as long as it gets enough charge.

Failing that - shroud the sensor so it only works at close range.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years with the cheap and nasty 300/600 mAhr battery they come with is good going. As UncleBFester says, fit a decent rechargable in its place and even in winter you will see an improvement.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:20 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably wire in a lithium battery pack from a disposable vape...

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an angled guard on the sensor so its only triggered when your hand with the key goes near the lock.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or some insulating tape carefully cut and stuck on the sensor to cut down what it can 'see'. My security lighting is
also a CCTV system and the sensor is somewhat overzealous even on it's lowest sensitivity, this is a very simple fix. Use
white insulating tape on the dome if aesthetics are of concern.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome
All chatting a bunch of man-shit like you were in a shed with a brew.
Cool Wub

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:04 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you could also just get a battery powered pound shop push light and only turn it on when you want it.

Or if you're into electronics, make a joule thief LED circuit (powers an LED for about 3 weeks on a flat battery) and leave it on all the time.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
You guys are awesome.

They are, aren’t they! I wasn’t expecting solutions. Karma

Trials in a darkened kitchen suggest the battery has plenty of life. I opened the unit up with difficulty and took a peek inside. It’s got a fairly large, cylindrical battery although I couldn’t see any writing.

I’m gonna try shielding the sensor on one side, although I now recall the lamp is also useful in helping me avoid stepping on the Cepaea snails* when the short garden path is wet, so there’s a balance to be had, getting it to trigger at the end of the path but not the pavement.

As of yesterday finding the keyhole isn’t a problem because my neighbours have gone all-out with the Christmas lights. It’s like Blackpool out there. Laughing

* Fascinating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit the snails with lights?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:46 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Fit the snails with

https://i.imgur.com/KFC0idc.jpg

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Fit the snails with

That picture taking spud device needs one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope we never see what Ste uses them for.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="recman"][quote="Ste"]

I’ve really gone off escargot Sick Puke .

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on behalf of 'er indoors, who's just messaged me from a mainline train to London. It's stopped at a station and apparently is now overloaded and can't actually move, and won't do so until enough passengers disembark. Surprisingly enough, not one person has done so. Who'd have thought? Now half an hour and counting. You really couldn't make this up Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

She needs to start coughing to make people think they'll catch the plague from her if they stay on the train. Twisted Evil

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like some crazy inversion of a hostage situation. I would be negotiating my crimbo costs out of the railway company to the maximum.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Train's moving again apparently, despite no passengers taking one for the team.
She's currently hoping she'll arrive in London in time to get the return train home tonight... Brick Wall

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
This is on behalf of 'er indoors, who's just messaged me from a mainline train to London. It's stopped at a station and apparently is now overloaded and can't actually move, and won't do so until enough passengers disembark. Surprisingly enough, not one person has done so. Who'd have thought? Now half an hour and counting. You really couldn't make this up Rolling Eyes

WTF?

I thought they were like lifts, rated to carry more than what can be squeezed to fit in to the floor space. Simple solution, fattest 10 off, if it's still too heavy, next 10 go. Now all line up for the free buffet while we decide the first 10...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:16 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, that train sounds like a nightmare!
Thinking possibly I should take some light entertainment and a battery pack on my jaunt out to Harefield tomorrow

Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:26 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this annoying beep from the smoke alarm, still hasn't stopped.
Been going about a month now, but luckily most of the time I was in NZ.
So it doesn't seem to have worn itself down in my absence.

Tried taking it off the ceiling, as per the instruction of a lady from the repairs team. Take it off, put a 9v battery in, she says. No, says the cassette when I pull it off, no replacement battery.

Alarm is stlll chirping. Nobody else can cope with it when they come to visit, but I've actually started to become accustomed to it.

You know how when people have a cockatiel and it makes that weird chirping noise now and then. Well, its like that. But more often, and more regular. Like every two minutes, I dunno. I've almost zoned it out.

So ... if I can't fix it, and I can't get back through to the repairs line (1 x 30 minutes waiting on hold before hanging up, and 1 x 48 minutes later the same afternoon...) then fuck it. I'll just pretend I have a cockatiel.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:40 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Got this annoying beep from the smoke alarm, still hasn't stopped.
Been going about a month now, but luckily most of the time I was in NZ.
So it doesn't seem to have worn itself down in my absence.

Tried taking it off the ceiling, as per the instruction of a lady from the repairs team. Take it off, put a 9v battery in, she says. No, says the cassette when I pull it off, no replacement battery.

Alarm is stlll chirping. Nobody else can cope with it when they come to visit, but I've actually started to become accustomed to it.

You know how when people have a cockatiel and it makes that weird chirping noise now and then. Well, its like that. But more often, and more regular. Like every two minutes, I dunno. I've almost zoned it out.

So ... if I can't fix it, and I can't get back through to the repairs line (1 x 30 minutes waiting on hold before hanging up, and 1 x 48 minutes later the same afternoon...) then fuck it. I'll just pretend I have a cockatiel.

Fucking Smoke Alarms.
Do not get me going on smoke alarms..

The two in my hoose are wired to mains power on their own wee dedicated mini-circuit breaker and have battery back up.
I replace the battery each year at the same time as the PIRS in the purple burgular alarms.
(Why can Scottish people not say that? Coz they ask stupid scottish people to say burglar. Rolling Eyes )

So I upgraded the auld smoke alarms for new 10yr units. Still for main powered systems but with thier own little 10yr battery pack.
Then.... Nicholia Sturgernova and her cronies Politburocrats had the big idea to make 'linked' alarms the minimum standard in Scottish homes.
Hoots Mon!
I had just replaced mine with 10yrs units 8 months prior to that legislation change.
It took me three months to get the linked units due to The Rona et al. And one one was available at the shop.
So fitted that one in the downstairs.
Tested and lo and behold, the unit upstairs went off its head too
Are the fucking things not already linked by a hard wired connection.
Bastirts....
Anyway... that's me covered for ten years.

FYI... if you're having issues with a smoke alarm.
Replace the hoowur/s.

It's still the major cause of folk not surviving a hoose fire.
Smoke inhalation puts your lights out within minutes.
The fire brigade are not kidding.

And stand in a room of the house and pretend there's a raging inferno on the other side of the door.

How will you get out that room?

(Floor is not yet lava but may soon be.)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:56 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go to a place for something and the kuhnt your are speaking to answers the phone and then puts you on hold.
If the kuhnt on the phone is in such a hurry then let them visit your place too.

Bastirts. Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:42 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

One has to wonder what exactly was the guard that they absolutely insist is totally essential to have on every train at all times otherwise they will go on strike doing while all these people piled-on?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post doesn't exit here either.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

One has to wonder what exactly was the guard that they absolutely insist is totally essential to have on every train at all times otherwise they will go on strike doing while all these people piled-on?

They probably have a sofistykatid algorithm in the British Rail computer system that can predict footfall at stations along the route and so determine the quantity of passenger carraiged required for that time of day.
They've had rail systems for about 200 hundred years. So there will obviously be a robust, tried and tested method to manage things.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
Page 118 of 177