Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez... I inherited two old inkjets from my parents, barely used so it seemed a shame to throw them away. Too old it seems to shutdown but they do bleat about non-HP ink cartridges being installed. Glad I kept them now!

Maybe there's a hack out there? Linux ppl are a spiteful lot.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:23 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing my fucking voice now Brick Wall
I've gone all squeaky and husky.
For. Fucks. Sake. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:19 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Jeez... I inherited two old inkjets from my parents, barely used so it seemed a shame to throw them away. Too old it seems to shutdown but they do bleat about non-HP ink cartridges being installed. Glad I kept them now!

Maybe there's a hack out there? Linux ppl are a spiteful lot.

I've figured out this isn't actually a printer despite all external appearances, it's actually a subscription service by stealth. The cost of the printer is the first 6 months subscription after which you pay them a monthly fee or get no printing.

I even suspect that you won't be able to sell it or transfer it once it's been registered.

So far linux forums seem at a loss. The drivers work so the PC can at least communicate with the damned thing. I suspect that to do anything about it you'd need to re-flash the whole thing.

The other delight is if the HP site goes down, so do all their printers.

Oh well, I've learned an important lesson. Cost me £150 (for which I could have bought a used network printer with 6,000 pages of toner left in it).

They emailed me yesterday saying they noticed I'd used a lot of pages already but it's ok because if I go over my page limit, they'll be happy to automatically charge me a paltry £1 for every 10 pages...

Oh yeah, it also doesn't work using generic PCL drivers either...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant you inject fresh ink into the used cartridges with a syringe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Mr. Stinkwheel bought a laser printer but the same idea would apply with refilling toner. Unfortunately all original manufacturer ink/toner cartridges are coded so you need to employ the talents of a safe cracker to reset the toner levels. The cartridges themselves are linked to the subscription service rather than the printer.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

It's a laser printer.

You can't even use a brand new full HP cartridge unless you're subscribed. Stop the subscription, they remotely deactivate your printer regardless of toner level. Disconnect your printer from the internet, it doesn't work.

Basically, it works on a pay per-page basis by subscription, the actual toner level is largely irrelevant.

Boils down to I have 1500 pages/month for the first 6 months, then I have to start paying a £3.99/month for up to 100 pages/month. Or throw the printer in the skip.

I'm in the process of printing out all my workshop manual PDFs.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrity train journey documentaries.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

It's a laser printer.

You can't even use a brand new full HP cartridge unless you're subscribed. Stop the subscription, they remotely deactivate your printer regardless of toner level. Disconnect your printer from the internet, it doesn't work.

Basically, it works on a pay per-page basis by subscription, the actual toner level is largely irrelevant.

Boils down to I have 1500 pages/month for the first 6 months, then I have to start paying a £3.99/month for up to 100 pages/month. Or throw the printer in the skip.

I'm in the process of printing out all my workshop manual PDFs.

That's bloody criminal.

I need to get a new ink jet for home use. Do you know if they try this sh1t with domestic/ink jets or is it only with buisness/lasers?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

That's bloody criminal.

I need to get a new ink jet for home use. Do you know if they try this sh1t with domestic/ink jets or is it only with buisness/lasers?

It's right across the HP range, this is a home printer, not a commercial one. If it says "HP+" or "instant ink" on it anywhere, I'd suggest leaving it well alone. Which is a real shame because historically, they made some of the best, most cross compatible printers out there. You can still get the normal ones. I wasn't aware of a difference, I'd assumed the instant ink thing was effectively an optional subscription service like all the usual crap proprietary sortware you get with things that you throw away with the packaging.

I assumed it was a normal networkable laser printer you could just plug in and it would work using the usual standardised PCL network printer software just like the last three I've had (which were all Dells). I was wrong.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wench has an old hp printer she is going to give to a charity shop.
works perfect.
youre welcome to it for the price of postage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an old Brother A3 printer scanner which quietly bleats about
proper cartridges but fuck it I just bung in any old ink made from acorns, beetroot juice and onion water for all I know and it works.

I mostly print B&W data sheets and stuff so photo quality isnt an issue.
If it was I'd go around the corner to Prontaprint and they'd do me
big arsed, shiny colour prints on pukka equipment worth thousands.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I think I understand now...

You can buy a HP LaserJet M209dwe for £146 but it's like a Ubisoft game, you must connect it to the Interwebs occasionally to send your inside leg measurement to HP.

Alternatively you could buy a HP LaserJet M209dw (without the e) and run it USB only but it will cost you £200.

They all do something similar. I prefer Epson's ink as the prints don't fade. Basic scanner/printer £59, EcoTank that does pretty much the same thing but with out the classic ink cartridge gouging £189 Shocked

Buyer beware!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'm of the opinion they make fcuk all on the printers and a fortune on the cartridges. Over £50 for a colour and black cartridge for my old printer that's popped it's mortal coil.

Think I might go for an Epsom as their ink seems way cheaper.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother aren't bad either although even they have little chips on top of the cartridges. You can swap them over but it's fiddly as fuck.

Gears ground for me is my phone - S21 Ultra. Had to factory reset it after a security patch screwed up the Bluetooth stack.

Then the backup I'd taken before that failed to restore as well as all the 2FA accounts.

Three irritating hours and it was sorted and all working but it has left a sour taste as far as android goes. More customisable than apple just seems to equate to more fragile.

Even the keyboards seems less accurate / too many custom buttons that try and stick gifs where I don't want them.

Might be time to go iOS and I never thought I'd say that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Too old it seems to shutdown but they do bleat about non-HP ink cartridges being installed. Glad I kept them now!

I bought a HP printer a while back that didn't like third party cartridges, then a firmware update fixed it and I can use el cheapo ones now (normally it's the other way round) Shocked

All the instant ink/subscription bollocks just seems like a scam.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "buy an ink cartridge and we throw in a free printer" model has been highly critisised for years. Probably some EU smack-down forced the printer manufacturers to take the shackles off. The response? Poor Mr.Stinkwheel's HP+ subscription service.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my HP Laserjet 4050N.

Feck Internet, subcriptions and wifi! What a load of shite! Got drivers from win3 up and obviously the toner lasts forever.

Also, feck USB. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This popped up on my feed.....

https://mokeinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/MOKE-Front_Electric-Wave-Blue-1.png

A new electric Moke. I had one back in the days when they were called the Mini Moke and based on an old style mini. Loved it in the summer so whats not to like about a new electric one? The price for one £30000 quid, Jesus.

Spec is pretty shite as well. Range-120 KM*. Charge-4 hours. Top speed-80 KM/h. Power-33 kW. 0-55 km/h-4.3 SEC

Ah well, a nice idea. Laughing

https://mokeinternational.com/gb-en/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:17 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
This popped up on my feed.....

https://mokeinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/MOKE-Front_Electric-Wave-Blue-1.png

A new electric Moke. I had one back in the days when they were called the Mini Moke and based on an old style mini. Loved it in the summer so whats not to like about a new electric one? The price for one £30000 quid, Jesus.

Spec is pretty shite as well. Range-120 KM*. Charge-4 hours. Top speed-80 KM/h. Power-33 kW. 0-55 km/h-4.3 SEC

Ah well, a nice idea. Laughing

https://mokeinternational.com/gb-en/

A Mini Moke was designed to be cheap and fun. This would appear to be neither.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:15 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that 30k would be enough to get an original mini moke and put an early Nissan leaf powertrain into it, for double the power and a fair bit more range.

Then I had a look at what a running mini moke costs. It's £15-30k. £5k gets you a rusty shell and no running gear.

Nostalgia is expensive.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

new car wont start. flat battery. stoopid hybrid crap! Evil or Very Mad

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disposable vapes. They're chucked on the ground all over the place.
I'd rather see fag ends on the pavement tbh.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

A new electric Moke...

stinkwheel wrote:
A Mini Moke was designed to be cheap and fun....

Robby wrote:
I was going to say that 30k would be enough to get an original mini moke and put an early Nissan leaf powertrain into it, for double the power and a fair bit more range.

I'd not like to be in any of them when a Range Rover driven by an orange bint who's updating her Instagram
at the wheel decides to not see me. In any case I imagine being cut out of a battery car comes with certain additional
risks. The reason the 'new' minis are bigger is so that you don't die horribly in them when you overestimate their handling
or get sideswiped by a left hand drive European truck driven by a drunk Romanian. Honest question, are these EV's subject
to the same crash testing as ICE engined vehicles? Or do they exploit any kind of loopholes left open to avoid this in order to
aid their proliferation onto the roads, given it seems to be an agenda pursued at all costs right now.

also

to v or not to v wrote:
new car wont start. flat battery. stoopid hybrid crap! Evil or Very Mad

I'd be pretty pissed off about this, but I suppose it's one way of keeping emissions and traffic down.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:06 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Honest question, are these EV's subject
to the same crash testing as ICE engined vehicles?

Yes. Why wouldn't they be? Or are you one of the people that thinks the batteries are all sitting there waiting to spontaneously combust?

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
blurredman wrote:
no posts exist for this topic Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Oh yes they do.

No Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 129 of 178