Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Double post Embarassed

Last edited by pepperami on 18:48 - 15 Jul 2022; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Pretty much zero wear to chain or rear sprocket after almost 16k miles.

i wouldnt have though it was possible to cover that many miles on a litre bike without stretching the chain. im impressed.
i may have to look into scott oilers.

I always lol when I read people’s Scotoiler or maniacal chain-cleaning regimes. My >30k ‘03 R1 is on the original chain and sprockets. The 67k ‘99 ZX6R is on its second set. Either they don’t make ‘em like they used to, or I ride like a pussy, or O-ring chains don’t need much help. I think using gear oil rather than commercial sprays helps but application isn’t frequent. You’ll be told chains are shot by 15k but it’s nonsense. Tyres are similar, last for ages.

UncleBFester wrote:
I don't exactly stand it on the back wheel ..... Throttle tends to be rolled on not cracked open, that's probably as much to do with it.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reversed a commitment to attend a motorcycle event, because it's boring and it's too hot. During the lockdown, I was itching to get out and about as I usually do, but I couldn't. So I committed to attend this one (taking place later this morning). I'm not going because I have seen enough Z900s to last me a lifetime. They are boring bikes now because they aren't ridden - just hauled to bike events. I don't feel like seeing any more of them. I know what they look like, thanks. Z900s are appreciated, so you bought one and restored it. Great. I'm happy for you. But you didn't ride it like a bat out of hell after that? Breaking speed limits and being a general menace as if it were 1985? Whatever, dude. The coolness has gone. Another guy has a GPZ750 Turbo? Or even a GPX600? Well, that's cooler but I could do more with it than sit there and polish it like you, so I'm not really happy for you. The music choices always suck (blues, rock, loose timing, out of tune), and the food (greasy, no ingredients list, never organic) always sucks. The people are great, but time has left these things behind, and as a person in my 40s (not quite past it) it annoys me, but it's true. Missed the boat. I could be chatting with nice and friendly retirees on my Sunday or riding my bicycle around a BMX track and doing little jumps... Fin d'epoque.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:02 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Z1 900, but found it too tractor-like after other more modern fare I'd owned by that time. I have also revisited Z650s and enjoyed those more. With a few suspension tweaks, much more nimble machines, and don't feel a whole lot slower than Z1s.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. The old aircooled 4-cylinder Kwaks are much alike except for bore (OK, there are also differences in cam and ignition systems). Most of those engines will swap in and out of 80s Kawasaki frames because the castings are the same. What makes the real difference is the suspension setup and brakes. However, they aren't great frames - they are steelies and I've heard that the Z650 and Z900 were inferior to the GPZs (going by what that Ian T-J bloke has said). I don't know. They are just steel frames and they flex. But it doesn't really matter what they are. They are discussed more than they are ridden, and that's not a criticism of anyone at all - just a reflection of the times. Technology moved on and so did the roads, the people, what you could get away with, etc. Used to enjoy chatting about this stuff with people, but now I don't see the point. It's nobody's fault. It's just reached the end of the road. It was an absolutely great run for the petrol motorcycle, and I won't ever stop riding these old bikes, as long as it's possible and not over £3K at a time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:13 - 17 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had a soft spot for the old Z650s, and would still like to build a modded one, because I never got around to doing it. It would be no garage queen.

A mechanic who used to work at one of the local bike shops here had one that was on the way to what I'd want to do. 750 head and barrels fitted. That could then be taken out to 810. I don't recall frame flex having been a problem on them, but then they don't have the performance of modern bikes to cope with, although maybe I'd be more sensitive to it if I tried another now.

The best one I ever saw was in a magazine many years ago, which had RGV250 front and rear ends fitted. But I think it is possible to end up chasing problems around such a bike as you upgrade here and there, until eventually the frame is the weak point, and not much you can do about it - maybe get away with a little bracing, since they tend to be a bit roomier than modern bikes. Wouldn't be for everyone, just my own little project for my own reasons. I still think they look the nuts, and wouldn't alter the look in any radical way.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 18 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the farmers decide today is the perfect day (when everyone has windows open) to spread sh1t all over the fields.

Not sure if deliberate.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 18 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
When the farmers decide today is the perfect day (when everyone has windows open) to spread sh1t all over the fields.

Not sure if deliberate.

I's sure they look out the window in the morning and say something like "It's a beautiful day today, let's chuck some shite about" or "Everyone has their washing out, let's either light the stinkiest smokiest bonfire we can or... let's chuck some shite about" Laughing

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I've always had a soft spot for the old Z650s, and would still like to build a modded one, because I never got around to doing it. It would be no garage queen.

A mechanic who used to work at one of the local bike shops here had one that was on the way to what I'd want to do. 750 head and barrels fitted. That could then be taken out to 810. I don't recall frame flex having been a problem on them, but then they don't have the performance of modern bikes to cope with, although maybe I'd be more sensitive to it if I tried another now.

The best one I ever saw was in a magazine many years ago, which had RGV250 front and rear ends fitted. But I think it is possible to end up chasing problems around such a bike as you upgrade here and there, until eventually the frame is the weak point, and not much you can do about it - maybe get away with a little bracing, since they tend to be a bit roomier than modern bikes. Wouldn't be for everyone, just my own little project for my own reasons. I still think they look the nuts, and wouldn't alter the look in any radical way.

check out the 'butchered classics' facebook page if you want to see similar sorts of builds, old UJMS given suspension upgrades and big bore kits/turbos. Theres a bit of a fascination with cramming a bandit 12 motor into everything on there but I can totally see why, an oilcooled big 4 with spares availability still and a decent performance upgrade from the old Kwak 8 valve fodder.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thrown enough medication at my sinuses since 9.30 this morning to stop a charging bull: eyedrops, tablets, nasal spray, more than one dose of everything ...

And my nose still dripped at the very inappropriate time of whilst cooking my lunch ... right into the fucking frying pan I was about to put some bacon into. Brick Wall Brick Wall
It sizzled and spat back at me, so I ditched the whole idea, threw the pan in the sink of dishwater and stomped out of the kitchen in a rage.

Whats for lunch, Jen? Fried liquid snot.
Mad Mad Mad FUUUUUUUUUU-U-U-U-U-U-UU-U-U-U-U-U-U
Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daft question, but have you tried Extra Strong Mints? They help my hayfever.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't.
That's worth a go. Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
And my nose still dripped at the very inappropriate time of whilst cooking my lunch ... right into the fucking frying pan I was about to put some bacon into. Brick Wall Brick Wall
It sizzled and spat back at me, so I ditched the whole idea, threw the pan in the sink of dishwater and stomped out of the kitchen in a rage.

Whats for lunch, Jen? Fried liquid snot.

Yebbut it's only your own snot, innit?. Meh.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:28 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really as much a gear grind as a WTF?

Getting a lot of adverts on youtube implying that if I want to get a girlfriend, I need to stop using normal soap to wash my balls. And/Or shave my balls with a special clipper.

Now, in my admittedly limited experience of courting the fairer sex. By the time the hairiness or the odour of the shower gel I've used on my balls becomes a potential issue, I'm pretty much home and dry.

They'd have to be pretty fucking bad to cock it up from there. Like my personal hygiene regime would have to have fallen somewhere significantly below the level of giving everything a rinse off in the wash-hand beasin in the gents before leaving the pub to be spending the night on my own.

Or maybe courting is different these days? Is sniffing of balls carried out much earlier in proceedings now?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:36 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home and dry? They're normally quite wet by then' in my considerable experience.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to be cross about the fact that my big monthly meeting with the senior team was cancelled after only 20 minutes - instead of 2-3 hours Rolling Eyes - due to IT issues not caused by me (for a change).

So its not taken me long to do most of the Minutes so far ... Laughing

Gave me time to review all the work I still have to do on the policies server project (ugh).

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel wrote:
Some stuff about knackers

I can't scrub this mental image of some hoary git standing over an old granite sink shaving a handful of his nads. FFS Brick Wall

Its not right Folded arms

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
maybe courting is different these days? Is sniffing of balls carried out much earlier in proceedings now?

...writes a vet

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:38 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Stinkwheel wrote:

I can't scrub this mental image of some hoary git standing over an old granite sink shaving a handful of his nads. FFS Brick Wall

Yep, that would be me. I like them being sucked and I got fed up with the complaints about hair caught in the teeth.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
hellkat wrote:
Yep, that would be me. I like them being sucked and I got fed up with the complaints about hair caught in the teeth.

Not sure that you're helping...

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Stinkwheel wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oybSdcfZsAg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
maybe courting is different these days? Is sniffing of balls carried out much earlier in proceedings now?

...writes a vet

... that has free access to weapons grade sedatives and tranquilizers. Shocked

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way to the park yesterday I bumped into a maintenance bloke from my work who retired last year. Really decent bloke.
Retired in March '21, wife dies of stage 4 cancer in March '22.
Naturally he looked particularly broken.
Cancer is a massive cunt.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors. can only get a phone appointment these days, yet still cant speak to him until mid August.
would help if the lazy bastard worked more than 2 days a week Evil or Very Mad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 22 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxi driver got lost taking me to work. Hopeless prick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
Page 94 of 177