Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground by ridiculous "e-bikes". There's one I see regularly that easily hits 30mph and looks like the result from Scrapheap Challenge, but last night's effort was even more extreme. Clearly a MTB frame, but with chunkier tyres and solid batteries within the frame triangle. It was overtaking cars doing 40mph, so it must have been scraping 50mph! Yet despite this it bizarrely stopped at traffic lights. No reg plate or anything naturally. I consider these to be in the same category as un-plated off road motorcycles - a nuisance on the public roads. Evil or Very Mad

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Ground by ridiculous "e-bikes". There's one I see regularly that easily hits 30mph and looks like the result from Scrapheap Challenge, but last night's effort was even more extreme. Clearly a MTB frame, but with chunkier tyres and solid batteries within the frame triangle. It was overtaking cars doing 40mph, so it must have been scraping 50mph! Yet despite this it bizarrely stopped at traffic lights. No reg plate or anything naturally. I consider these to be in the same category as un-plated off road motorcycles - a nuisance on the public roads. Evil or Very Mad

They kill themselves off though. I once saw one of these idiots doing over forty down the town mainstreet then the traffic jammed and noticed too late and the cheapo disc brakes on his chino-death-machine clearly failed to stop the 130kilo bike + dickhead. It was quite spectacular Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

They kill themselves off though. I once saw one of these idiots doing over forty down the town mainstreet then the traffic jammed and noticed too late and the cheapo disc brakes on his chino-death-machine clearly failed to stop the 130kilo bike + dickhead. It was quite spectacular Laughing

Not too bad if said helmet collides with a concrete barrier or similar immovable and difficult to damage object, but more of an issue if it's kids crossing a Zebra crossing or something. Sad

Surprised the scrotes haven't picked up on this yet, around here at least. They're still zooming about on old-fashioned 2t dirt bikes.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Surprised the scrotes haven't picked up on this yet, around here at least. They're still zooming about on old-fashioned 2t dirt bikes.

Here too.. I don't get it. Even now kids and young (scote looking men) go around on shitty little 2t pit bikes without lights/helmets and every one I pass to is a young chav still crane their necks to look and jesture for wheelies. I give them the finger in return.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:57 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they end up quadrospazzed rather than dead then the cost of them existing dramatically increases.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the chav-scrotes in my street has one, and nothing grinds my gears more than having him shout "Awwright laaaaaav!" at me as he whizzes past. Like I'm his mate cos we both have things with engines in.

Utter pond scum, ugh Mad

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
One of the chav-scrotes in my street has one, and nothing grinds my gears more than having him shout "Awwright laaaaaav!" at me as he whizzes past. Like I'm his mate cos we both have things with engines in.

Utter pond scum, ugh Mad

Us licence holders should be allowed guns really.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If they end up quadrospazzed rather than dead then the cost of them existing dramatically increases.

Not now the NHS is being shut down.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:17 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a nice new front sprocket, rushed home to fit it, then spent the next couple of hours struggling cos the old one was rusted solid.
Left it to soak in oily grease till the weekend, when I've got more time. I don't want anything breaking. Puller was tightened to it's limit, so needs some tlc.

Was hoping it was gonna be a five minute job. Crying or Very sad well it should've been really.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 21 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ste wrote:

Not now the NHS is being shut down.

I didn’t see much on the BBC about the NHS Bill, presumably because they’re still pondering what angle to pitch, rather than simply reporting the news. I did find these though;

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-the-nhs-about-to-be-privatised-
https://twitter.com/buckinghamh/status/1415288493786472453
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I didn’t see much on the BBC about the NHS Bill, presumably because they’re still pondering what angle to pitch, rather than simply reporting the news. I did find these though;

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-the-nhs-about-to-be-privatised-
https://twitter.com/buckinghamh/status/1415288493786472453

I was thinking more the impending mega-austerity package that will undoubtedly follow the pandemic.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel park benches, they're bloody freezing to sit on even in the summer. In fact, they're worse in the summer because of wearing lighter clothes.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:40 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Steel park benches, they're bloody freezing to sit on even in the summer. In fact, they're worse in the summer because of wearing lighter clothes.

Are you kidding? I've just fried an egg on the one in the kiddy play park round the corner.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the impending mega-austerity package

I ignored the last load of "austerity" bollocks, people wringing their hands because the government told them they had to. I had a great time: spent more money (on myself) than I ever have, and I fully intend to ignore any more "austerity" that they might be disposed to inflict upon the public.

It's only austere if you let it be.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

The whole of Canning Town station on the Jubilee line is made of stainless steel, one supposes because its part of the "grey" Tube line.

Its a fucker. Mad
Freezing in the winter, and bum-burningly hot in the summer.
Fucking ridiculous.

And the toilets are also completely stainless steel (when you can actually get into them, when they're not locked because of lack of staff) - they smell like school toilets.
Yuk.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Bought a nice new front sprocket, rushed home to fit it, then spent the next couple of hours struggling cos the old one was rusted solid.

dont you oil your drive chain? i would have thought it would prevent things like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escooters, however https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57935883.amp

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:18 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Your link is a little shonkey. Why does it have amp on the end?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:42 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because mobile browser.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:34 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've split the last two months off the old thread.
Hopefully this works ok.

Old thread here:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=297335

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Your link is a little shonkey. Why does it have amp on the end?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c2w7p1q416dt/electric-bikes-and-scooters

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've split the last two months off the old thread.
Hopefully this works ok.

Old thread here:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=297335

Works now fingers crossed.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:54 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
GettinBetter wrote:

dont you oil your drive chain? i would have thought it would prevent things like this.

I've only just bought it. It's going to be typical of the things I'll probably find.
I did notice the chain was particularly oil free, now you mention it, but maybe the bike shop cleaned it. The external surface of the sprocket is spotless and shiny, but inside where the splines are, is solid rust, so presumably any dampness was kept in by the outer washer and nut, because of the absence of grease.

My worry is that because of the rust, the new sprocket will fit like a sausage in a bucket. Crying or Very sad

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

My worry is that because of the rust, the new sprocket will fit like a sausage in a bucket. Crying or Very sad

How many 0.001 of an inch will surface rust realistically reduce? Do you know what the tolerance is?

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:34 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
....How many 0.001 of an inch will surface rust realistically reduce? Do you know what the tolerance is?

Mm.. as a time served life long precision engineer, anything more than that 0.001" would to me, be a sausage in a bucket. I'd prefer a couple of tenths of a thou' or even a slight interferance fit.
Yes it'll work, with a lot more, but I know that the more play/slop, the more it'll thump back and forth on the driving faces of that spline and wear the spline more.

However the fact that it's rusted on doesn't tell the full story, it may have been a good fit, and just a slight bit of rust has stuck it solid, as the steel surface oxidises it expands, so it wouldn't have to expand much if it was a good fit in the first place. Soon tell tomorrow...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 12 of 178