Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I've lost a few decent tools, which I use almost all the time and so are always in my trouser pocket. Among them: adjustable spanner which opens up to 13mm (OK I can replace that easily), 6mm tempered German hex key, Nagao Higonokami (sharper than a Stanley knife and just really nice). Shit.

Workshop Heaven sell the Higonokami knives and they're not that expensive. I have one and it's one of the best knives I've owned - it takes and holds a seriously surgical sharp edge and an occasional strop maintains it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Workshop Heaven sell the Higonokami knives and they're not that expensive. I have one and it's one of the best knives I've owned - it takes and holds a seriously surgical sharp edge and an occasional strop maintains it.

Fortunately, I found it last night (hopefully the tempered hex key will follow).
It's not about the money though. I used to collect odd knives. I've got all sorts, from a Spanish navaja to an Indonesian keris, but the Higonokami is the only UK-legal one, so I always have it with me. The others just sit there. You develop an attachment to the things you have with you all the time. The edge is just incredible but I don't actually like it as a knife, despite missing it when it's gone. Paradoxical, right? It has absolutely no flair, no individuality, it's not ergonomic, no pride in its construction, etc. I'm no perfectionist but the design of that folded bit of metal is just lazy and sloppy. Look up any amateur knife maker on Youtube and they try to measure things, use tools properly and do it precisely. But not this crude thing... If something like a piece of fuel tubing needs to be cut neatly, it will go through it like butter, easier than a new Stanley blade. However, I don't recommend anyone buys this crude piece of crap. It's UK legal and sharp, but that's it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:44 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically no bladed item is legal in the UK if you can't give a good reason to have it about your person.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No justification is needed to be in simple possession of a knife that folds, has a blade less than 3 inches long (over the cutting area), and doesn't lock, in a public place. Special considerations may apply in sensitive places or football stadiums and the like.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Technically no bladed item is legal in the UK if you can't give a good reason to have it about your person.

In Delboy's videos he makes a point of including a knuckleduster in the shot, hanging on his wall, which is apparently something illegal to own even in private.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:22 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A knuckleduster has no use other than to hurt people. You can't even argue a sporting use.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A knuckleduster has no use other than to hurt people. You can't even argue a sporting use.

One might consider "it's an antique" argument but unlike an old firearm there's no way to "deactivate" a knuckleduster Smile

Random thought alert: might consider it a "plot blooper" in Demolition Man when Phoenix steals all the weapons from the museum. Why would all the guns on display still be live?!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:20 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet that every black powder gun in any museum in the world hasn't been deactiviated.

It's easier with stuff with a firing pin, not sure what the law is with museums and firearms. Typicially a museums principle approach is not to fuck with things because it destroys some of the historical value.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knuckleduster on display to try and mimic a Hollywood image of a Harley-riding hard man was pathetic. I mean, it was cool to see them in all the souvenir shops in tourist areas and wanting one. Then I turned 12.

The antiques arms thing is a legitimate hobby but that world would be absolutely horrified to have someone like that claiming to be in it. There are 2 types: the self-important ones who write editorials in glossy catalogs ( Embarassed) for a pat on the back from other self-important types, and then the people who are obsessed with a historical era, such as WW2. Knuckledusters don't fit into any of that.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still grinding my own gears, being a bit of a twat in general.
I know what's causing it.
I just need to sort that shit out.

But I will, because hellkat, right?
*assumes Rosie the Riveter pose*

It was all going *so* well.
Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

What, not even in punching hunt sabs?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:28 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

What, not even in punching hunt sabs?

Thats social, domestic, pleasure and not sporting.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's easier with stuff with a firing pin, not sure what the law is with museums and firearms.

AFAIK you also have to stop up the barrel making reactivated guns doubly dangerous.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:46 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does making it so you have to have a lathe that can drill out a stop make them even more dangerous?

If you have that lathe yuou can make a fucking barrel anyway. Admittedly you can't do rifling easily.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How does making it so you have to have a lathe that can drill out a stop make them even more dangerous?

You're expecting quality workmanship from criminals?! Converted pistols with home made barrels are even worse, expect one clip max through them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:28 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

You're expecting quality workmanship from criminals?! Converted pistols with home made barrels are even worse, expect one clip max through them.

More dangerous or less accurate?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:42 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

More dangerous and less accurate.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes it is. You are legally permitted to carry a folding knife with a non-locking blade of three inches or less without having to have specific reason.

You can carry a fixed or locking blade knife of any size as long as you have a legitimate reason to do so.

I've always carried a pocket knife and on occasions I carry my Mora sheath knife. Perfectly legally I might add. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

More dangerous or less accurate?

Both. More dangerous because the deactivation process will damage the the barrel and reactivating, if not done by a competent gunsmith, will further damage it to the point where it can't bear the pressure it needs to. Every firearm gun barrel that is made is proof tested and marked accordingly.

Less accurate because the rifling will not longer be complete. Plus the reactivation probably won't be done to the precise tolerances needed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes it is. You are legally permitted to carry a folding knife with a non-locking blade of three inches or less without having to have specific reason.

You can carry a fixed or locking blade knife of any size as long as you have a legitimate reason to do so.

I've always carried a pocket knife and on occasions I carry my Mora sheath knife. Perfectly legally I might add. Thumbs Up

I was told on the first workshop day of my engineering apprenticship never ever use a folding knife that isn't a lock knife and shown pictures of people that used them wrong and the blade closed on their fingers. I never have since. I also always carry my leatherman which has locking blades but it's in a pouch.

As for black powder pistols. I have a pair of georgian duelling pistols that are active. However they take a good 2 or 3 minutes to load quickly (and the precusssion caps are like rockinghorse poo) so if I wanted to shoot a pirate trying to board my boat I'd use my perfectly legal pistol crossbow which has lever cocking and takes seconds to load. Cool

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking chavscum neighbours fighting in the street on a peaceful Sunday morning. Brick Wall
They were into the second round before the old bill turned up.

The second round kicked off outside my gaff: they were chucking around the bins so I went out there and shooed them off down to their own end of the street. Didn't want them knocking my bikes over, fucking scum Rolling Eyes

I checked that the old lady next door hadn't been frightened as she is now on her own without hubby, and was rewarded with some very yummy jeera flaky pastries Mr. Green Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Carried one (which I bought in Ibiza) in my front right trouser pocket every single day I was a bus driver, just in case
I had to defend myself in a pinch, never needed to use it but there were a few times my hand was in my pocket ready to.
Bus drivers get a lot of shit from scummy people, more often than you'd think.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Prices of media services may rise during contract.”

Broadband in this case, but generally if that’s the case why am I tied to an 18-month contract?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
“Prices of media services may rise during contract.”

Broadband in this case, but generally if that’s the case why am I tied to an 18-month contract?

always used to be able to leave without any penalties if providers raised the prices. have they changed the rules?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early disconnection fees apply.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
Page 136 of 176