Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that at my age, I would have given up giving a shit about looking like shit. But I don't like the look of me on my security camera today... So it's back to as I was in my 30s and quitting the fried food and getting back on the veg as of next week. In a way, it's a shame. It was great not giving a shit. But not giving a shit is only cool up to a certain point, and this is it.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

starlings. noisy greedy aggressive little gang bangers Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I would have thought that at my age, I would have given up giving a shit about looking like shit. But I don't like the look of me on my security camera today... So it's back to as I was in my 30s and quitting the fried food and getting back on the veg as of next week. In a way, it's a shame. It was great not giving a shit. But not giving a shit is only cool up to a certain point, and this is it.

You consider yourself to be overweight and now you're worried about how others see you?
Trust me, they don't give a shit.

Last edited by recman on 18:32 - 26 May 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I work from home now I physically do fuck all so I've scaled back to a light breakfast + dinner and skip lunch altogether. Pretty much at the same weight I was pre-lockdowns so seems to be working out well.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to attempt a 7 day fast to see if I can shift some lbs.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I take it the fast is intermittent rather than cold-turkey? Thinking about it, it couldn't involve cold turkey or it wouldn't be a fast Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold turkey... sandwiches on Boxing Day Drooling

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
grr666 wrote:

I take it the fast is intermittent rather than cold-turkey?

Nope, all I plan to consume is vitamin supplements, magnesium and white tea without sugar. I've done 4 days before.
I couldn't do it in winter because I'd get too cold. While the weathers warm is my best chance. Just going to finish off
what's in my fridge first so it doesn't go to waste. Then after the fast it's back to OMAD for a while with a 24 hour fast
once a week. I need to see off two stone and I don't want to wait all year to do so.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have to pay for these bastards to go to prison when they really should be swinging on the end of a rope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-65697782

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

you should read up on fasting if youre planning to do it for more than 3 days.
it can be quite dangerous, people have died coming off an extended fast.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:46 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Nope, all I plan to consume is vitamin supplements, magnesium and white tea without sugar. I've done 4 days before.
I couldn't do it in winter because I'd get too cold. While the weathers warm is my best chance. Just going to finish off
what's in my fridge first so it doesn't go to waste. Then after the fast it's back to OMAD for a while with a 24 hour fast
once a week. I need to see off two stone and I don't want to wait all year to do so.

Sounds like a bad idea. Have a look at 5:2 fasting or intermittant fasting (basically making sure you have 16 hours between two meals every day).

The Islamic style of fasting like they do at ramadan would work well at this time of year, you don't eat during daylight. So late dinner, early breakfast, nothing in between.

The 5:2 would probably work because you can make that a permanant thing.

We have a rule in our house that there are no carbs you can eat directly without some sort of perparation. Of course we break that rule but on the whole it stops you eating shit straight out of the cupboard/fridge.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I need to see off two stone and I don't want to wait all year to do so.

What's your motivation? Thinking

I'm just a random Czech lad on the Interweb, but I say unless you need to fit a weight category (sports) it's always better to burn the fat off rather than ''starve'' the fat off.

Exercising makes you stronger, feel younger (no back, neck... pain), helps you sleep and even raises the dopamine and other happy hormones levels.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Depression, mostly. That and my trousers don't fit anymore.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Definitely better off with the exercise route. Being hangry won't help but there'll be endorphins (or something) your body will generate when exercising that should help with your mental wellbeing.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I now have to pay for these bastards to go to prison when they really should be swinging on the end of a rope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-65697782

Totally agree.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt a sudden 7 day fast is a good idea
and would advise against it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:45 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Now the magnesium that you talked about makes perfect sense.

I would strongly advice against such long fasting, as it is when you chew and swallow food your brain/nerves calm down.

Once again, random Czech lad on the interweb, but for mental health you first need proper sleep, then regular physical activity, ... diet is there as well but not as important as one might thing.

1) Sleep (my own experience + whatever I've read in all sort of books) = no alcohol, loud noise, food and blue light (LCD screens) at least 2 hours prior to your bedtime. Never go to sleep drunk. The brain will not go into the REM phase of the sleep cycle (the regeneration part) if you've got alcohol in your blood stream. Sure, you do fall asleep drunk, but you don't wake up rested/fresh, as the REM phase will only kick in once all the alcohol is burned off. Also, remember, for good sleep you need warm body and cold head, that's why people yawn, so lower your bedroom temperature if you can. Sleeping on your back without a pillow could also be beneficial.

2) Regular exercise (my own experience + whatever I've read in all sort of books) = Not only it improves your physical health, but it also helps your mental health. You don't need to go to the gym, just doing basic stuff at home will work, and you also don't have to push yourself to the limits. Repetition is the key, push-ups, sit-ups... all that basic stuff, for 5 minutes a day will improve your life. Make it a routine, just like brushing your teeth.

3) Breathing (my own experience + whatever I've read in all sort of books) = well ventilated rooms, good posture. CO2 build up rasises up your strees hormones levels. There's also something called, or rather described as double inhale technique (google it).

4) Set achievable goals. Doing 10 push-ups by the end of the week, doing 10 km under 25 minutes on a bicycle by the end of the month, and so on.

5) Cold exposure, cold showers etc. do help as well.

PS: I've got to go do stuff now, so I might edit/add some bits later on.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:32 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild camping with the little bastard last night. He was awake at half bastard 5 this morning wanting to know when I was going to do his breakfast.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20230526-wa0009.jpeg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the thoughtful replies gentlemen I really do. I can confirm the weight gain is a combination of 12 full
months of complete inactivity, some days I take fewer than 50 steps all day, depressive comfort eating, excess alcohol
consumption, living off of whatever is in the reduced price section which is usually ready meal type stuff. I do only eat
once a day already, I really can't be arsed to make food more often than that. I visit the local shop half a mile away and
drive there and back so I can get back inside my house as soon as possible. My curtains haven't been opened in months.
I've let myself get into such a shit state that I don't even want to go outside anymore.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:09 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Wild camping with the little bastard last night. He was awake at half bastard 5 this morning wanting to know when I was going to do his breakfast.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20230526-wa0009.jpeg

I see he's really getting into nature there.

Can you not take the table off him and replace it with a pocket knife, a box of matches and about 30ft of paracord, then he can get up to some proper mischief like kids ought to do when out camping.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:19 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I take the tablet off him it makes me look bad because I was watching films on mine most of last night.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If I take the tablet off him it makes me look bad because I was watching films on mine most of last night.

How wild is wild? Wild enough for the car to be nearby to charge your tablets? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:02 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycled there so no car. I did, however, take the 12v battery out of his lambo and cconnected the power socket electrical thing off the Strumpet to a USB output thingy so things could be charged up if necessary.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I've let myself get into such a shit state that I don't even want to go outside anymore.

Small gentle steps. There's a shop at the end of my road. I don't even remember the last time I didn't walk to it. The Sainsburys half a mile away I almost always walk to... and I'm the laziest person I know Smile

I've said this before but just "getting shit done" makes a difference but it needs to be a gradual build up, the brain needs time to rewire. Crawl, stagger, walk, jog, sprint... the pace isn't as important as picking a direction and actually moving towards a goal.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I appreciate the thoughtful replies gentlemen I really do. I can confirm the weight gain is a combination of 12 full
months of complete inactivity, some days I take fewer than 50 steps all day, depressive comfort eating, excess alcohol
consumption, living off of whatever is in the reduced price section which is usually ready meal type stuff. I do only eat
once a day already, I really can't be arsed to make food more often than that. I visit the local shop half a mile away and
drive there and back so I can get back inside my house as soon as possible. My curtains haven't been opened in months.

I know that state, been there, got the tee shirt etc but
to emphasise what I said before, I really don't think suddenly starving yourself is a good idea at all.

As you know, inactivity, isolation, comfort eating and drinking is what caused your weight gain and done nothing to help your depression.
Anyone who's struggled with depression will recognise this state of affairs.

I'm not saying do nothing, but as mentioned above , I'd advise small positive steps often repeated then continue to build from that.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 175, 176, 177  Next
Page 152 of 177