Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog was spayed yesterday. She is now the biggest diva going. She stood next to her bed (6 inches high) whining until I lifted her on. After doing some chores I went back in the lounge and she is now on wifies chair snoreing happily.

She has a coat to stop her licking the wound, way better than the cone of shame but having to unbutton it when ever she wants a pee or a poo is fun, not!!!

I just hope she doesn't have an accident overnight or there is going to be a big pooey mess everywhere.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know with a cat was given a sort of "onesey" for their cat to stop it from licking its wound after a front leg amputation. Kinda like a baby-gro Laughing

Looked v.funny but yes, a definite improvement on the cone.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see something along the lines of the 'Cone of Shame' for humans.
Just to stop some of them talking to me.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I would like to see something along the lines of the 'Cone of Shame' for humans.

Would you be wearing it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:12 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/female_perfect_frill-900x522.jpg

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

People getting sponsored for doing bucket list stuff "for charity"... there's always somebody at work or on social media begging for sponsorship to do a parachute jump, or to climb Kilimanjaro or something.... look at me, aren't I great?

It's never made clear to sponsors that a large chunk of the donated cash goes to pay for the individual's actual trip or activity, and only a portion goes to the charity. How is that right? If you want to go off and have fun doing something like that, it's fine by me, but don't expect me to be coughing up for your fancy holiday.

The latest one I've seen is that the local hospice is pushing 5-day expedition trekking in Iceland. All you need to come up with yourself is £390, and then you have to guarantee to raise at least £3,300 through sponsorship - that money gets split between your holiday costs and the charity. Out of interest, I looked into the actual cost of the trip - it's about £2,000. Just me, or isn't that a bit outrageous?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
People getting sponsored for doing bucket list stuff "for charity"... there's always somebody at work or on social media begging for sponsorship to do a parachute jump, or to climb Kilimanjaro or something.... look at me, aren't I great?

It's never made clear to sponsors that a large chunk of the donated cash goes to pay for the individual's actual trip or activity, and only a portion goes to the charity. How is that right? If you want to go off and have fun doing something like that, it's fine by me, but don't expect me to be coughing up for your fancy holiday.

The latest one I've seen is that the local hospice is pushing 5-day expedition trekking in Iceland. All you need to come up with yourself is £390, and then you have to guarantee to raise at least £3,300 through sponsorship - that money gets split between your holiday costs and the charity. Out of interest, I looked into the actual cost of the trip - it's about £2,000. Just me, or isn't that a bit outrageous?

London Marathon places works in a similar way, but finding detail can be tricky as they are a bit bashful about where teh money goes.. While a ballot entry costs a runner just £70 charities are charged much more (about £500 I believe) by London Marathon Events, they then pass this charge on to teh runner who must get about £2000 sponsorship or make up the deficit.. Thus the charity gets around £1500 and London Marathon Events gets £500 ish Since there are about 20,000 charity subscribed runners thats a cool 10 mill minimum. Total gross profit for LME is in the order of £45 million The highest paid director of London Marathon was paid £273,000 in 2022. 10 others have 6 figure salaries.

It's big business, that uses (abuses?) charities for it's own benefit.. If you are sponsoring a runner that hasn't got in by the ballot 25% of your donation goes to the LME company..

EDIT: Apparently surplus profits go to the London Marathon Charitable Trust which hands out cash to good causes which sounds better.. even so I would mind being a couple of quid behind that director..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Last edited by A100man on 23:13 - 05 Feb 2024; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
People getting sponsored for doing bucket list stuff "for charity".... Just me, or isn't that a bit outrageous?

Years ago I was stung for £20 by a (entirely coincidentally) pretty young newbie biker on the old Motorcycle News forum. She was flying to Southern Africa and taking a guided off-road ride to a village where the group would “build a school.” Admittedly they did intend to build a decent shack using materials sourced from who knows where but it wasn’t clear why the locals couldn’t have done it. Meanwhile it became clear the tourists themselves were contributing less than the air fare while pledging to raise more through sponsorship. It was a subsidised holiday. If the motive was charitable it was also either patronising - “Those poor helpless people in ‘the cradle of man,’” - or a rude statement that all the smart and capable ones left Africa to form Europe in the year dot and the rest have child’s minds.

I feel the same when I see adverts from WaterAid and the like. If that fictitious child has to trek miles to fetch water maybe the family should move closer. The rest of the world addressed foul water with boiling (tea) or fermentation (alcohol). If there are no local resources to tackle the problem find somewhere else to live.

I’m reminded of the celebrated young fella William Kamkwamba who built windmills in 2001 to generate electricity and pump water in his African village after reading some books, and this was thought to be enterprising and clever. Indeed it is, but it shouldn’t be so unusual. Help thyself.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifie and her sisters does these charity runs sh1t. When I found out she has to pay an entry fee and get donations to run in some events I was quite scathing. You give your time and effort in training and running and they still expect you to pay them for the privilege of entering? Shocked

I was told it's normal and they were happy to do it.

In 2025 wifie, her sister and her cousin are all flying to Hawaii to enter the marathon or whatever race it is so flights, hotels AND paying to enter a race to shag yourself out but maybe its subsidised. I shall get my Sherlock Holmes hat on and investigate.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:24 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
MCN wrote:

Would you be wearing it?

/\ Very droll. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:28 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Wifie and her sisters does these charity runs sh1t. When I found out she has to pay an entry fee and get donations to run in some events I was quite scathing. You give your time and effort in training and running and they still expect you to pay them for the privilege of entering? Shocked

I was told it's normal and they were happy to do it.

In 2025 wifie, her sister and her cousin are all flying to Hawaii to enter the marathon or whatever race it is so flights, hotels AND paying to enter a race to shag yourself out but maybe its subsidised. I shall get my Sherlock Holmes hat on and investigate.

Hoi..! Pump your Brakes Sir.

You must be unaware of how much it costs to secure Zecutive Expenses and plethora of relatable facilities?

fw750x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:04 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the charities and sponsoring , There is a Benefit life time award holder who lives down the street from me . He moved into a flat around 30 Years ago , Has Never worked a day since he moved in . Permenant sun tan He walks his 2 dogs everyday and Looks after other peoples dogs when they are on Holiday for a cash return. A couple of years ago he was looking for and as far as i heard he got Sponsored to Climb a Mountain in the andes !! He is not fit for work but can climb a Mountain . And before you ask he did not get any sponsorship from me He would know better to ask me . A few guys i work with did a Sponsored Parachute Jump rather them than me and as far as i remember they had to raise £ 500 each on top of it was either £100 or £150 Per person . The only charity i give to is a Dog and Cat Rescue centre i take food stuffs but will not give money

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

fw750x wrote:
Re the charities and sponsoring , There is a Benefit life time award holder who lives down the street from me . He moved into a flat around 30 Years ago , Has Never worked a day since he moved in . Permenant sun tan He walks his 2 dogs everyday and Looks after other peoples dogs when they are on Holiday for a cash return. A couple of years ago he was looking for and as far as i heard he got Sponsored to Climb a Mountain in the andes !! He is not fit for work but can climb a Mountain . And before you ask he did not get any sponsorship from me He would know better to ask me .

Presumably you've tried grassing him up?

How do you know he's on benefits?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:44 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
fw750x wrote:
Re the charities and sponsoring , There is a Benefit life time award holder who lives down the street from me . He moved into a flat around 30 Years ago , Has Never worked a day since he moved in . Permenant sun tan He walks his 2 dogs everyday and Looks after other peoples dogs when they are on Holiday for a cash return. A couple of years ago he was looking for and as far as i heard he got Sponsored to Climb a Mountain in the andes !! He is not fit for work but can climb a Mountain . And before you ask he did not get any sponsorship from me He would know better to ask me .

Presumably you've tried grassing him up?

How do you know he's on benefits?

I can tell just by looking at the kunt.

Same as theives and murderers, they have 'that look' about them.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
it wasn’t clear why the locals couldn’t have done it.

Too busy popping caps in each others asses.

I'm starting to wonder if David Lammy MP had the right idea about Kilimanjaro related virtue signalling.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Same as theives and murderers, they have 'that look' about them.

Failed the physiognomy check Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:06 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate it when a freeloader finally gets a job and immediately goes off sick.

I'm looking at you, Charlie...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I really hate it when a freeloader finally gets a job and immediately goes off sick.

I'm looking at you, Charlie...

Sick, sick as in broken leg or just sick as in "not feeling it today, boss" ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 22 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This again?!

I dunno if everyone else has experienced a rise in scam phone calls in the last week or so but I'm now getting about 2 or 3 a day to the landline Sad Mostly the following:

Poor quality tape recording with either "this is bank security..." or "this is HMRC..."

Fake refunds and warranty packages for white goods.

"Hi, I'm the energy supervisor for your postcode. Am I talking to the homeowner?"

You obviously can't argue with a tape recording but I used to have a lot of fun winding up the call centre staff but the current enslavement program from India has atrocious English as a pre-requisite and the non-Indian callers drop the line as soon as the conversation deviates from the script Crying or Very sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
This again?!

I dunno if everyone else has experienced a rise in scam phone calls in the last week or so but I'm now getting about 2 or 3 a day to the landline Sad Mostly the following:

Poor quality tape recording with either "this is bank security..." or "this is HMRC..."

Fake refunds and warranty packages for white goods.

"Hi, I'm the energy supervisor for your postcode. Am I talking to the homeowner?"

You obviously can't argue with a tape recording but I used to have a lot of fun winding up the call centre staff but the current enslavement program from India has atrocious English as a pre-requisite and the non-Indian callers drop the line as soon as the conversation deviates from the script Crying or Very sad

Yeahhhh I had a rash of crypto-callers a few months back, based on the fact that they managed to rip me off this time last year. I pretty much fucked them off out of it, mostly politely reassuring them that I am *DEFINITELY NOT* interested in a crypto platform rip-off scheme, and requesting that they take my name off their list. But I *may* have lost my temper a couple of times ... Mad

Lately I've just been getting something almost every other day that is a recording basically saying "We've logged your call and a member of staff will get back to you." (wtf) Thinking Or they even ring off before I can pick up the call.

I've taken to ignoring them, its not work so fuck them.

Sometimes I think about changing my number but then I decide I'll just ignore all calls unless they leave me a voice mail, or come from someone in my phone book.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a 'hello' when I answer followed by a 'hello' once it's clear that it's a real person at the other end keeps me occupied for hours. If I get the intonation right the spam slave thinks I'm hearing then just enough to continue the call.

My record is 23 minutes and 6 seconds. Yes, I have a stopwatch by the land line for this specific purpose.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grim reality of vets' bills for chemotherapy which I can't claim on pet insurance as the damn cat decided to get crook on me three days after I took it out Rolling Eyes

Why couldn't she have saved her Darth Vader impression for a couple more weeks, the fuckin daft bint Laughing #sodsfuckinglaw Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I find a 'hello' when I answer followed by a 'hello' once it's clear that it's a real person at the other end keeps me occupied for hours. If I get the intonation right the spam slave thinks I'm hearing then just enough to continue the call.

My record is 23 minutes and 6 seconds. Yes, I have a stopwatch by the land line for this specific purpose.

Isn't there a scam where you answer and they start charging you at MEGA rates for a premium rate number? Or was that just an internet rumour?

Thinking at 23 minutes that would be quite a phone bill Thinking

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was more like "press 1 to speak to a representative..." and supposedly the call was re-routed based on this interaction. Still sounds like an urban myth though.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 174 of 178