Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scambusters - what's doing the rounds today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Scambusters - what's doing the rounds today? Reply with quote

Having just read 'Facebook scammer tricked his way into our home' I was thinking it might be better to collect reports of contemporary scams in one thread rather than being lost in "grinds my gears"

From my recent experience if you're selling a vehicle via Facebook Marketplace you'll get around 10 scammers contacting you for every 1 genuine buyer. Mostly this will be "need the reg for the insurance" as an opener and then the reg + vehicle model gets bundled up and sold to plate cloners.

With regards to phone scams, is there any point in having a landline these days? If it's not a number I recognise the ratio is 100:1 scams vs genuine. Ignore all tape recordings, computer generated voices and Indian accents and you'll mostly be fine Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:49 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nastiest one I've seen recently is where people steal your house by altering the land registry. No comeback either! Not an issue if you have a mortgage but if you've paid it off, it's worth filling in a form that makes land registry changes impossible without directly confirming it with the owner and a solicitor. That means there will be a very small additional expense when you come to sell the house.

The other one there is a lot of is people registering limited companies to your address to set up shell companies for money laundering/scams or borrowing money/taking out credit cards. There are whole streets where this has happened. Until recently it was very difficult to have your details removed from the register at companies house. It required a court order but they have changed the law recently to make it incumbent of companies house to maintain the accuracy of its register and to make it harder to register a limited company without proof of address.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The other one there is a lot of is people registering limited companies to your address to set up shell companies for money laundering/scams or borrowing money/taking out credit cards.

When I set up a limited company nobody would give us jack shit. Was in 2008 though Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 01 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The nastiest one I've seen recently is where people steal your house by altering the land registry. No comeback either! Not an issue if you have a mortgage but if you've paid it off, it's worth filling in a form that makes land registry changes impossible without directly confirming it with the owner and a solicitor. That means there will be a very small additional expense when you come to sell the house.

Wasn't aware of this protection (thanks) but just having looked it up, what I've found instead is the Land Registry Property Alert service (https://propertyalert.landregistry.gov.uk/propertyalert/) which looks like something slightly different but nevertheless looks like a no-brainer if you don't have a mortgage. Free to sign up to and to register your house, and it emails you if someone starts sniffing round your LR record, enabling you to take action. Doesn't actively block fraud though.

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 09:21 - 02 Apr 2024; edited 1 time in total

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:07 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

@stinkwheel

Can you elaborate on this and point me to the form? everything I see is only for england.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:40 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
@stinkwheel

Can you elaborate on this and point me to the form? everything I see is only for england.

It's an England problem. I'd need to look it up but property transfer laws are very different in Scotland, usually requiring the involvement of a solicitor anyway so it may not be a thing in Scotland.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Wasn't aware of this protection (thanks) but just having looked it up, what I've found instead is the Land Registry Property Alert service (https://propertyalert.landregistry.gov.uk/propertyalert/) which looks like something slightly different but nevertheless looks like a no-brainer if you don't have a mortgage. Free to sign up to and to register your house, and it emails you if someone starts sniffing round your LR record, enabling you to take action. Doesn't actively block fraud though.

Thanks for that. I have no mortgage so I have signed up for that link. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 25 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook scams in the news at the moment:

How fraudsters are getting fake articles onto Facebook

To top it off I've just headed-off a relative getting into something similar with "investqhub" I won't link their website but I will link what the FCA think of them:

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings/investqhub-investqhubcom
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1