Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Would water from a dehumidifier count as distilled? According to most answers on google that's a yes. I've certainly used it to fill batteries before (a long time ago though), and it was fine.

Water from a dehumidifier is fine. It's more the deionised water level of pure than distilled but still fine for most industrial uses.

At a push even clean rainwater is up there with a TDS of single figures compared with tap water in my area of over 150ppm but then pH comes into play.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How is it illegal to collect.and dispose.of.dead wildlife.on the carriageway?

ive always been led to believe that its illegal for the driver of a vehicle that kills an animal to stop and pick it up, but that vehicles travelling behind them can.
maybe its just a bit of folklore?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How is it illegal to collect.and dispose.of.dead wildlife.on the carriageway?

ive always been led to believe that its illegal for the driver of a vehicle that kills an animal to stop and pick it up, but that vehicles travelling behind them can.
maybe its just a bit of folklore?

No one can pick up road kill. It's the property of the land owner.

It is illegal to remove an animal that you have killed on the road. ... The dead animal is the property of the landowner. This is usually the council and there is almost always no objection from councils to people removing dead animals from the roads.

Obviously no one would get too upset if you did though.

Edited to add. They might get a bit miffed if you went to Woburn deer park with a 4x4 with bull bars after a venison supper. Wink

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, quick update on the little ethanol-reduction experiment.

Bit of background: old bike I've put back on the road myself, with bespoke fuel system with slide carb plus ported cylinder head, and ignition timing changes. Not set up for fuel economy - just a leisure machine for short, fun rides. Fuel mileage isn't great and isn't bad - tends to depend on how rough vs smooth I am with the throttle. It will break traction in loose gravel or mud in a controlled way if you lean forward and mash on the throttle a bit, and that's all part of the fun. That sort of stuff seems to bring down mpg, but you can also ride smoothly and it will just sip fuel. A couple of months ago I speculated on BCF that, with a manual fuel tap, it should be possible to reduce ethanol content with a simple move or two. This bike, I decided some time ago, will only get E5 fuel. I'm not saying it wouldn't be fine with E10 or that others don't get OK results with E10. It's just a decision I made, and which I will stick with because it's not worth thinking about. A couple of days ago, I had to fill it up with E10. I rode it a short distance home, then brimmed the tank by adding water, then agitated it vigorously.

I left it standing in the garage, relatively upright. Just now, leaving the bike where it had been standing, I disconnected the fuel hose and drained away about 1.5 litres, into a fuel container. The stuff smells oily, but you can tell, it isn't petrol. It looks like water and it behaves like water. The 5l petrol container into which I drained it smelled of old petrol slightly. But the stuff that came out of the tank was mostly water. I kept putting my finger in the path of the draining fluid. It smelled distinct, until at one point it seemed to smell more volatile, like actual petrol. Not exactly scientific, I know. I kept going a little while, and turned off the fuel tap. Going by the fuel can capax, I'd say about 1.5 litres was drained away.

I turned off the tap, reconnected the fuel hose, turned the tap back on (to RES) again, and drained the single carb. I waited a few seconds to let the carb bowl fill before starting the bike. Starting the bike, it started first time. I was surprised, because I suspected I hadn't drained enough from the bottom. I left it idling for about 5 minutes. I revved it up to 3k rpm several times. It seemed absolutely fine. Actually sounded healthier and better than normal, unless it was just my imagination... Absolutely dead steady.

The long and short of it is, I did what I'd been planning to do in the event I had no choice but to fill with E10. I am under no illusions that I have drained ALL the water and eth from the tank. The res pipe is short but will not catch all of the dregs from the bottom of the tank. I cannot rule out that the bike has always had the same quality of fuel, but I always get it from the same petrol station and same grade (E5 Tesco). Anyway, not very exciting, but that's it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use premium fuel? Shell V power and the like. Once you have played around with water and draining it off you've probably wasted more that the difference in price between premium and E10.

If you are doing it for fun and experimentation then fine. Fill your boots. (but not with the water you drain off. Laughing )

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Why not just use premium fuel? Shell V power and the like. Once you have played around with water and draining it off you've probably wasted more that the difference in price between premium and E10.

Yes, I agree, filling with premium would always be better than this desperate last resort. It's just that the queues for petrol around here were (and still are) terrible, with most stations closed. Didn't have enough petrol to get to a nicer and more chilled out town to fill up, so to the local Tesco it was, for me. I expected to find E5 as usual when I got there, but they only had E10.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:52 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode mine on the motorway for the first time, only one junction, Stafford to the A5 and I just sat in with the trucks mostly due to the wind but it was ok. Much better than my scoot was in any kind of wind, definitely feel like the big bike was worth the effort and money.

Need to sort out the right hand mirror though, replacing it hasn’t completely solved the vibrations, I think it must be because they’re on extenders, the left mirror is rock solid so I’ll try it without the extension later in the week and see if I can see past my shoulders

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
OK, quick update on the little ethanol-reduction experiment.

You could add food colouring to the water, then you'll see the separation point much clearer when draining the ethanol solution from the bottom.

Not essential for your experiment, but be aware that taking the ethanol out reduces the octane rating of the remaining fuel, and you may be washing out other water soluble fuel additives, such as octane boosters and detergents.

If you were using it in a forced induction or high compression ratio engine, you would get better results by adding more octane booster to the depleted fuel. Xylene and toluene are relatively cheap unbranded versions, and are well known octane boosters in the turbo tuning scene.

This extra cost, unknown quality outcome, and time taken, is why most will stick with E10, or fork out extra for E5 super, which is still 'up to' 5% ethanol by the major distributors.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

You could add food colouring to the water, then you'll see the separation point much clearer when draining the ethanol solution from the bottom.

Not essential for your experiment, but be aware that taking the ethanol out reduces the octane rating of the remaining fuel, and you may be washing out other water soluble fuel additives, such as octane boosters and detergents.

If you were using it in a forced induction or high compression ratio engine, you would get better results by adding more octane booster to the depleted fuel. Xylene and toluene are relatively cheap unbranded versions, and are well known octane boosters in the turbo tuning scene.

This extra cost, unknown quality outcome, and time taken, is why most will stick with E10, or fork out extra for E5 super, which is still 'up to' 5% ethanol by the major distributors.

Accidentally rated you "funny" when I was trying to rate you "helpful". Sorry about that. I've just rated another post of yours "helpful" to make up for it.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my ex to take the battery off, although I could have done it myself.
He just happened along at the right time, after delivering my new mirror.

Not put it on Optimate yet, cos I are still got no distilled water.

My fridge's resident ice-monster doesn't have cauliflower cheese OR chips in it (kitten-killing carbs Laughing )
But it's helpful to know that one could use that (if one had to).

Thank you Wink Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more Triumph tinkering today. As well as the wiring on the previous one progressing nicely a new one (as in old with bits missing) has turned up. No carbs so weighing up whether it should have the original Amals or just lob on some Keihin knockoffs just to get it running Thinking

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 09 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of wiring on the bike to keep me busy
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=105112https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=105111

Last edited by True Blue on 16:57 - 13 Oct 2021; edited 4 times in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 09 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:

Before and after? Impressive!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:

What's the big connection block? I'm looking for something so I can rewire the viffer in the not too distant future.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 10 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootled down to Maidstone in the sunshine yesterday, inappropriately dressed as usual: light jacket, jeans, summer scarf and gloves. (but proper boots)

Pootled home today, a nicer ride than I was expecting, given that it was grey and cloudy looking, but luckily there was still some sun left in the Sunday, and I didn't freeze (went thru the Dartford Crossing, just in case, though Laughing )

Every time I go out now, I think "this will be the last of the decent weather, last sunny day ride til next year" ... and it turns out not to be.

I think the run of good luck on that front is about to stop Laughing

Snarley's booked in for an MOT on Tuesday.
Might get a couple more good-but-cold weekends out of it, if I'm lucky.

Note to self: time for some proper winter gloves, luv.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:12 - 10 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leccie gloves.

I use Gerbing.

Amazeballs. Way better than heated grips.

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last couple of days I have fitted a Kriega US-10 tail pack on the rear seat and bought a set of Scott waterproofs to put in it. That seems to have stopped it raining for the time being. I also fitted Givi hand guards which are doing such a good job of keeping the breeze off my hands that I’m hardly using the heated grips at the moment.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:48 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspecting and greasing head bearings on the div. The steering had started to feel quite loose and sloppy, wanted to inspect before just replacing.

https://puu.sh/IhF7A.jpg
https://puu.sh/IhF7w.jpg
https://puu.sh/IhF7q.jpg

All cleaned up to go back in.
https://puu.sh/IhF7t.jpg

Felt a lot better with lots of fresh grease and nipping up tight again.

Managed to pickup a second hand Jama twin silencer system to replace my internally rotted silencer.
https://puu.sh/IhF7r.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very helpful conversation at the mechanicky bike shop.

I nearly need a new back tyre, but not quite. Unsurprising really, considering I've owned it about six years and have never put new boots on it at all yet.

And a forkseal looks like it might be starting to go, so he's going to nip that in the bud.

The skanky old drive belt that needs replacing is also being gouged by some sharp pointy thing holding the oil tank on (he thinks it might be the pointy corner of a cable tie but its too grungy to tell for certain), but he is going to have a look at that when he changes the belt I already bought. Which may or may not need a new sprocket.

And he will have a look at the oil leak on the left, and replace the sidestand spring. I'm unconvinced about the sidestand spring, but I will let him do whatevs, and see if that makes a difference.

So he is gonna order me some parts and call me when he's got them in. My plan is to pester him every two weeks until he has Laughing

Meantime ... I have a new clutch and a new MOT and am ready to menace traffic afresh, hoorah!

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

What's the big connection block? I'm looking for something so I can rewire the viffer in the not too distant future.

It's an M-unit Blue, from Motogadget. Mini PLC controller thingy

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork seals and oil done! Really should have spunked the money and got a decent compression tool. Lesson learned here.

I learn this lesson a lot.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/capture_194.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Inspecting and greasing head bearings on the div. The steering had started to feel quite loose and sloppy, wanted to inspect before just replacing.

https://puu.sh/IhF7A.jpg
https://puu.sh/IhF7w.jpg
https://puu.sh/IhF7q.jpg

All cleaned up to go back in.
https://puu.sh/IhF7t.jpg

Felt a lot better with lots of fresh grease and nipping up tight again.

Managed to pickup a second hand Jama twin silencer system to replace my internally rotted silencer.
https://puu.sh/IhF7r.jpg

I'm surprisedyou have taken them apart and not replaced with taper roller bearings.. It used to be the standard conversion when doing old steering heads.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqR,!poE7Bcvhiq7BO6gkpbIHg~~/s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XJ-6-S-Diversion-Half-Faired-ABS-09-Taper-Roller-Steering-Headrace-Bearings-Set-/280745459740?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjwh5qLBhALEiwAioods2icBevWbr2_4W0VsL5X4YdK3jMtflffEY_BAGwRDV4E_gKGF4-MtxoC6HAQAvD_BwE[/img]

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:16 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed. Or rather, white van man crashed into me while I was stopped at the lights. Ouch!

https://i.ibb.co/mhSfCKs/bikecrash.jpg

I have had better days.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoah - were you injured??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:35 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft tissue injury only (spent a large part of the day being X Rayed in A&E). Now begins the insurance shenanigans. Fortunately, I have witnesses.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 9 of 47