Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Triumph stuff. I'm not doing anything on my own bike - the XSR - beyond basic maintenance till the spring.

Assemble the jigsaw puzzle of brake brackets... twice!

https://i.imgur.com/N61UG1a.jpg?1

The "cunt bolt" is circled. FFS who designed this shit? The clearance between this half-height head bolt and the frame is non-existent Sad Obviously only noticed this would be needed in the future for the master cylinder after we put it all together.

At some point in its life the bike took a tumble or the kick stand was intentionally relocated. Either way it was so low slung you'd need a "My other bike is a Harley" T-shirt. A point only noticed after the powder coat Rolling Eyes Hack off and re-weld? Fuck that...

https://i.imgur.com/3AiNcWu.jpg

A cheeky solution Smile Even after that the spring interferes with the kickstand bolt so we took an angle ginder / file to it and domed it off. At least it slides over now, best of a bad job.

Oh and engine in, foot pegs on:

https://i.imgur.com/BNBDr2d.jpg?1

I've come to the conclusion that old Brit bikes are a bit shit (at least in construction.) So that must mean Indian Enfields are shit bikes with added shit clearances? Thinking

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that old Brit bikes are a bit shit (at least in construction.) So that must mean Indian Enfields are shit bikes with added shit clearances? Thinking

My dad (a man of zero nostalgia) has absolutely nothing but contempt for old British iron. I kind of like them myself but some of his stories... Confused

Anyway, Wot I Have Done...

I got the bikes out of hibernation where they were packed like sardines in the garage. Checked the tyres pressures and charged the battery on the VFR800 and it was ready to go, so that's now parked outside my house under a cover in case there's a sunny day anytime soon.

Replaced the rear suspension linkage on the Striple with a linear one from UK Race Support. I'm really hopeful this sorts out the issues I'm having with the suspension setup, and from the forums at least it sounds like it should. I also rethreaded one of the bolts on the seat that I'd had to drill out, so I can put the seat cowl back on if I want to. Now I just need to finish touching up the swingarm, and wire in a voltage meter so I can keep an eye on the charging. The meter I bought has a couple of USB ports which is nice.

And finally, the big job I need to do is assess the VFR750 and decide if I'm going to fix it up, or just get rid of it and keep the VFR800. It's been kind of neglected the last year or so sitting at the back of the garage. So I pulled it out, pumped the tyres, put the battery on charge (the optimate went to "Save" mode so that's not a good start), stripped the fairings, and gave it a jetwash. Left the battery on the optimate and called it a day. Getting the tank off and all the rest will have to wait. Already found out the front brakes are binding (but only when going backwards Confused ).

I think jetwashing the rear wheel has revealed it may need a little touch up here and there... https://i.imgur.com/WHB3K27.jpg

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:52 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at it covered in the kids crap.

Missus still won't let me ride.

Is this grounds for divorce?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:12 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Honley RX3 for it’s MOT.
It passed, no advisory’s! Yay Thumbs Up .

Finally got the pistons out of the front brake caliper of the Project bike. Yay!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

mine still won't let me not ride - because i'm even more of a bastard if i don't get a chance to go out and enjoy doing something i like

pretty sure the kids think the same

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Honley RX3

Good to see a Chinese bike holding up for several years, especially when so many people on here seem to shit on them Embarassed

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Already found out the front brakes are binding (but only when going backwards Confused ).

My XJ 550(598) does that - I wonder what it is?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave mine a clean and took it for a trundle down to Rye. The sun even shone... Briefly.

https://i.ibb.co/mXwsP5H/banditweb3.jpg

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:
Already found out the front brakes are binding (but only when going backwards Confused ).

My XJ 550(598) does that - I wonder what it is?

Having had the front wheel off the ground today, the brakes are binding generally, it's just worse going backwards. I think what happens is that when the brakes drag forwards, the floating discs naturally straighten themselves, but backwards they twist (very slightly) and it increases the friction. That's my completely uneducated guess anyway.

Was back in the garage today. Didn't get a lot done but I only had an hour or so. Tried starting the 750, which failed, I wasn't honestly expecting it to start, but if it had, that would definitely have put a large plus in the "you should keep it" column. But given the weak battery/stale fuel/general neglect, I don't blame it. So I got the tank off and started opening the airbox... and ran out of time.

And that's because I wasted most of the time playing with the new front arm for the Abba stand I got for christmas. I thought the basic stand was a bit of a fiddle to be honest, but the bike is really stable on it which is really good. But I'm really impressed with the extra arm, you can get both ends of the bike off the ground at the same time! Don't think you can see it very well in the pic though.
https://i.imgur.com/4eHSbZ2.jpg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
pepperami wrote:
Honley RX3

Good to see a Chinese bike holding up for several years, especially when so many people on here seem to shit on them Embarassed

I’ve got no complaints about my Chinese pos Thumbs Up
I got it cheap and so far it’s not let me down.
I’d even be mildly confident to take it on a small tour (3 or 4 days) in mainland Britain.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charged the battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed some "uprated" springs (with shocks) on the C90. To explain the significance of this, the C90's stock rear springs have no damping to speak of. These are 5 way adjustable with actual damping and are a well known mod in C90 circles to massively improve the handling and ride quality (less like a pogo stick). Unfortunately, I also discovered the rear mudguard (it's a plastic section which basically starts where the springs are and goes back from there, bolted to the steel frame) presses against the springs. Shimmed out the shocks slightly by a few mm to see if that improves things, did a bit but still touches. Judging by a scuff on the old (enclosed) springs, I'm guessing this has been like it for a long time (maybe always). There's a little rubber pad on the mudguard itself, suggesting it's almost expected to touch the springs at least sometimes, so I've given it a smear of grease so any slight movement should be helped. I'll keep an eye on it.

Don't know about elsewhere in the country, but around here it just seems to be permanently mucky at the moment so don't particularly want to go for a ride until things improve a bit.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/c90springs.jpg

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 13:43 - 09 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:50 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd it for another year. Dance!

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belatedly noticed that both sidelight bulbs were busted on my CBF1000. They’re the small push-in W5W bulbs that seem to give a dim brown glow…

So I purchased some Osram LEDs to replace them. Fitting them to the CBF1000 is a bit of a faff because you really need to pop off the sides of the fairing. Which I didn’t really mind because I wanted to check for any damage under the plastics after the bike toppled over last summer. The centre stand punched through hot tarmac and the bike fell, gently, onto the right side.

No damage that I could detect so fitted the new LEDs and refitted the fairings. One of the little brass captive nuts had come out of the plastic upon removal so I cleaned it up, hot glued it back and replaced those lower bolts with stainless on both sides.

The lights seem great. Nice and bright white. They have a diffuser lens over the top that sends the light equally in a 180 degree arc. Not road legal so no idea what the MOT man will think about them in a few months. Makes the bike more visible, but shouldn’t cause glare for other road users.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:

The lights seem great. Nice and bright white. They have a diffuser lens over the top that sends the light equally in a 180 degree arc. Not road legal so no idea what the MOT man will think about them in a few months. Makes the bike more visible, but shouldn’t cause glare for other road users.

I doubt MOT man will be bothered as long as the light isn't dazzling and is white.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a generic stainless steel rear mud guard* for the ol' Triumph, mocked up some brackets out of that tin strip shite:

https://i.imgur.com/u0Y9JeX.jpg?1

It's easy to work with and already has a selection of convenient holes. Just need to hold the thing in place...

https://i.imgur.com/Pnsx0GV.jpg?1

...to work out where the hump will be under the seat.

*Needs a chunk cut for chain clearance before anyone mentions it!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck a new head gasket, plugs and gearbox oil in the X5 as well as usual post winter stuff like chain and tyre pressures.

Still havn't figured out why it seems to end up with oil in the cylinder on the left side when being stood. It's done it for a while, usually accompanied by one side being very smokey for a few miles. However the first time I tried it after winter I had an issue that I thought was a sticking starter motor, rocking it back and forth it eventually turned over and proceeded to blow a load of oil past the head gasket on the left hand side. Then it started up fine with no funny noises (just a bit smoky) so I don't think i've bent a rod Confused I've done a few gearbox oil checks to see if there is any sign of crank seal failure or a crankcase sealing issue but the oil level isn't going up or down much nor going a funny colour / smelling of fuel. I thought it could be the 2T pump passing on one side when the bike was sat but I've left it three weeks with the pipe off the side in question and bugger all came out. So I'm vexxed but it's up and running, just needs a clean and it's ready to play out when the roads are less shitty. I made the mistake of taking my GSXR400 out the other weekend, and despite hosing the worst off still ended up with the pads rusted to the discs so hard i had to bounce on the front end to pop them.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Looked at it covered in the kids crap.

Is this grounds for divorce?

Hand in your testicles and man card. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rear master for the Triumph turned up. Realised we needed to disassemble the rear brake brackets again to get it in Sad

Re-did the mudguard brackets as there wasn't enough clearance for the battery tray. Probably means there won't be a hump for the seat base to contend with so that's something.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
New rear master for the Triumph turned up. Realised we needed to disassemble the rear brake brackets again to get it in Sad

Re-did the mudguard brackets as there wasn't enough clearance for the battery tray. Probably means there won't be a hump for the seat base to contend with so that's something.

I admire your fortitude and love your pics. Takes me back to when I was doing the same (T140) in the early 2000s.

I got it finished just in time for kids and house buying to make me sell it on... Rolling Eyes

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 11 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked an MOT for it. No doubt that means Saturday will be blizzard conditions.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:52 - 12 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
I admire your fortitude and love your pics. Takes me back to when I was doing the same (T140) in the early 2000s.

I got it finished just in time for kids and house buying to make me sell it on... Rolling Eyes

Thanks, today I did a bit of surfing for parts. The old man's taken a fancy to a minimalist look so there'll just be simple chrome buttons either side of the handlebars instead of the usual switches.

Cheap copies look shite. Proper Triumph ones are $$$ Sad The replacements will follow the Harley style for momentary push-button indicator operation utilising the knock-off relay from a Superlight. (Keeway 100% ripped off the Harley switches.)

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 12 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridden it to MOT. Passed MOT. Ridden it home and put it back in the garage on charge.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 12 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how the rear mud guard turned out:

https://i.imgur.com/HDoIivu.jpg?1

So now there's no hump for the seat base to contend with:

https://i.imgur.com/8F8hlmJ.jpg?1

We spent a lot of time eyeballing the curve, how it relates to the tyre, will it look right... many cups of tea! And then we remembered the side panels so you won't see any of that Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 12 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a braided front brake hose for the Hyosung.
Got the seal kit for the front brake, got two new pistons.
Caliper cleaned.
Mounting plate painted.

When the hose arrives, I can start work on re-assembly of the front brake, yay!.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 16 of 48