Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 29 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyr62 wrote:
Took the driveshaft out of my VFR1200 DCT and lubricated the splines at both ends.

Yeah, you wouldn't want your shaft to go in dry Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode to work.

More comfortable than either car.
Cheaper to run than either car.
Faster than either car.

Going to keep using it whilst it's dry - cold does not bother me.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to move both bikes off the road because of the funeral next door today.
The Harley starts up but is still misfiring, may have to nurse that back to the shop (only two miles away). Might call out the RAC to take me there, actually. About time I used this policy before it runs out in March/ish.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suzuki howevr wouldn't start, it turned over but wouldnt catch, might be out of gas ... although at least the battery hadn't gone flat, so its holding a charge now. So I pushed that up the curb, nearly dropped the fucking thing, but parked it up out of the way for the funeral. Might spend some time trying to get that restarted this weekend if its nice (if my general health allows it, as currently I'm reluctant to go out on the bike/s until this cold has properly cleared up).

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. If you're not 100% working out in the cold and damp is a sure fire way to take a turn for the worse.

I forgot to corner at one point... had a total talent vacation but it wasn't a sharp corner and that refocused the brain and body haha

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:39 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished wireing in the USB adapter and oxford heated grips on the new FZ8...
Discovered last owner bodged the h7 light in a h4 socket, even though its a h7 key for the fitting... So umm gonna have to make an adapter for that...

Also discovered the headlight reflector is sort of loose inside the housing. Might be broken, might have come off the adjustment nut. Gonna have to take the whole front assembly off to look inside D:

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project bike electrics completed (including trunking), seat mounted, tank mounted - all working but I'm going to flush the tank with fresh fuel before running it. Found I'd lost my gear shift lever (one of the last things to go on) - so just ordered a replacement. Until it arrives, there are odd jobs still to do. This thing is a frame-up that's been many months in the making - not a restoration but a weirdo bitsa. I just kept chipping away at it, and it came together.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 05 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip off wheels and brakes. Cleaned the wheels up with iron-out and scrubbing then jetwash. Gave the calipers a good dose of iron-out and a blast with the jetwash then stripped those off, popped the pistons, cleaned seal grooves and re-built & bled. Now working lovely for another few months.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired up a USB charger/Cigarette lighter socket on the Trophy.

Though is a 6v system (all DC however) it works okay so long as there is some throttle input. USB take 5v but it seems the unit itself needs what it says (It has it's own voltage gauge) is 6.5 before it will provide any power onwards to the satnav or the mobile phone.

But that's fine - so long as I don't need to use the headlamps, the battery in the devices will sustain themselves whilst the bike is stopped idling (say at traffic) but otherwise be charging up when i'm on the move. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

Though is a 6v system (all DC however) it works okay so long as there is some throttle input. USB take 5v but it seems the unit itself needs what it says (It has it's own voltage gauge) is 6.5 before it will provide any power onwards to the satnav or the mobile phone.

But that's fine - so long as I don't need to use the headlamps, the battery in the devices will sustain themselves whilst the bike is stopped idling (say at traffic) but otherwise be charging up when i'm on the move. Cool

If the idle speed is too low, the charging system on the bike might not be pumping out enough volts, if the battery is low or bad that would make it worse. Have you checked the voltage at the battery on idle?

If it's not the idle speed, there might be something else, like tarnished contacts at the regrec, or regrec/ stator wiring on the way out.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
blurredman wrote:

If the idle speed is too low, the charging system on the bike might not be pumping out enough volts, if the battery is low or bad that would make it worse. Have you checked the voltage at the battery on idle?

If it's not the idle speed, there might be something else, like tarnished contacts at the regrec, or regrec/ stator wiring on the way out.

The charging system is 50 years old as it is, but even though everything is cleaned up and relatively unused (only 16k miles use) it's not particularly strong at only 60w.

I've done this voltage testing in the past and get 6.15v idle (about 1,200rpm), up to 6.9v when above 2k rpm which is quite normal. With lights on the voltage is at 5.75v at idle and up to about 6.5v with some RPM into it. It's a year and a half old battery and has 6.20-6.25 whenever I check it so despite the poor charging system with lights on it's never actually been a problem for me on extended runs in the night.

That's the purpose of a battery - I suppose it is comparable to an overflow bottle in a coolant system, a sort of buffer arrangement.
On older vehicles, charging simply does not occur at idle for a lot of applications. One of my cars when I have the rear defroster going, the heater motor, the headlamps, brakes, and an indicator on the go all at the same time waiting at a junction idling i'd be at 10.5v on the gauge.. It's normal.

Anyway- all said and done this quick and dirty wiring set up is only temporary for the weekend, i'll be removing it sunday. I normally have my road map and i'll still be taking that as always. But this time I just fancied being able to ride by following an arrow and not stop everytime I think I'm lost. I don't ride with lamps on in the day time anyway so it'll all be a non-issue.

Additional thing I forgot to mention was that yesterday I did a lot of tidying up of the shed in order to get the Suzi TS185ER out. Took me a while,

But after getting the bike out I find it a lot easier to diagnose why it didn't want to start the other week when I went to give it a quick start, and I find the petrol tank is completely empty. No problem, found some petrol. Actually, I used non-fresh petrol- I poured in a jar of 1 year old fuel, and about 2 pints of petrol that was brown because I had previously used it to wash parts (with a brush you know). It was filtered, ish.

Anyway bike started okay and didn't take too long to come to idle okay after choke was off. I then rode to the petrol station on it (first time in over 2 years (!!!)- which is why the tank was obviously dry) and it ran well there and back. I had to adjust the idle a bit, and other than that the only thing noticable was the clutch lever wasn't returning fully and completely in time before I was on the throttle again after a change, so it did slip a bit- but i'll lubricate the cable to get rid of that stiffness in the cable. I installed some new hand grips months ago too so it was nice to finally use them- they felt good!

Hope to ride it more when I get time. Noted the front tyre is from early 1995 and the rear from 2006. Still, the bike gives great confidence even with such tyres.

Last edited by blurredman on 16:05 - 09 Feb 2023; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did work on “Project Scrappy Hyosung” .
After a clean up of all the bits like spacers and the caliper mounting plate, the cleanish back wheel went back in Very Happy .
The bike can now stand on its own wheels.
All bits that needed it were copper greased..before re-assembling.

Both Hyosungs are on trickle charge.

Also found a possible solution for a couple of the broken fairing tabs.

Not a bad mornings work Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a couple of rides about 30 metres down the road (just happy that it works!), I discovered a brake piston seal leak on my project bike, so I stripped it down. The piston and seal are both brand new. No sign of damage or dirt, but I probably put it in wonky (edit: on second thoughts, I'm pretty sure I'd put it in wonky, as it was very stiff going in). Reassembled it and put new fluid in, with a zip-tie on the brake lever. I think it's sorted and the seal was just twisted, but if it isn't fixed, I'll know tomorrow.

Also, checked the tracking number, and the V55/5 with all relevant forms and fees has been delivered to DVLA! Yay! That was the final milestone, so I'm itching to get a registration number now. A 5-week wait, typically, they say. First ride out on the roads will be to the local bike mechanic, to check my work, in case I missed anything. I know that every single frame-to-engine, swingarm, etc. bolts are all torqued up and have Loctite on them, but there's always something.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 13 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

Talk about charging.

In the end- everything was fine for the journey to Dragon Rally and back. The makeshift temporary wiring can be removed now. Coincidentally I measured the battery voltage a few hours after getting back home and it was reading 6.33v which as I understand it is perfect capacity for a 6v conventional lead acid battery.

Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 14 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired in a new LED headlamp for the old fella's Harley. (The previous effort being a bit weedy.) Had to get a bit creative with the wiring to squeeze it all into the headlamp bucket.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 14 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

standard winter palaver - rode it for one hour, cleaned it for two

Rolling Eyes

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started up the GSX.
Been stressing over why it *still* wouldn't start despite me throwing an arm and a leg at it lately.

Suddenly dawned on me: maybe it was out of gas ...
Turns out it was: on reserve, no juice, doh!

Silly hellkat.
It sounds lovely Wub
And I stink of petrol Wub Wub

The Snarley's still misfiring.
Doubt if I'm competent to do the plugs-check-thing without supervision, so will just get the RAC out next time I have a day off Rolling Eyes

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

insured the old banger for another year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:13 - 22 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode it through Usk - gave it a 12L drink of the good stuff. Rode onwards upto Abergavenny. Then locked it up and walked the Skirrid before returning to 127.0.0.1 (in sector 0,0,1) via the A4042.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing happened today.

I got my V5C (new registration) from the DVLA. Sooner than expected, and they thoughtfully returned my evidence documents, too. Not much to complain about.

Just one thing: the manufacturer name came back as "Leyland" (I guess it was the next name down after Kawasaki in the dropdown list, when they were making up this document). All the other details are correct. 2 wheels, motorcycle, cc, etc. Just "Leyland".

It would be so much fun to get a big decal saying "Leyland", and slap it on the side of my tank. Laughing

But I'll probably just get it corrected like a normie, to make the insurance comparison websites work.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on my new bike ready to swap over from the old one.

Fitted wheels with new Road 6 tyres
Service front brakes, new pads fitted
Service rear brake, new pads fitted.
Bleed clutch with fresh fluid, clean and re-paint reservoir cap
Clean and polish all the bodywork

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:33 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the brake discs on my 600RR because I bent one of the OEM ones when the bike fell on the trailer. I had to buy a pair of EBC discs as I couldn't find any cheap OEM ones. I also removed the R&G engine cover because my local garage told me it was the cause of the oil seep that has been plaguing the bike. I ended up breaking a bolt but managed to remove the remains easily. In the process I damaged the gasket which I found was pinched near the oil leak anyway.

This gives me a job for next weekend, to replace the gasket that I've now ordered. Still, not the worst day in the garage!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/mclp4634_small.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I dislike about the CBR600RR is the aftermarket exhaust options are a bit awkward.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered new boots for the Viffer. Dunlop GPR300's. Ordered a rear brake pedal and front lever as well, PO has obviously laid her down, but it's a goven at her age. She's getting ratted at some point, panels are all sorts of colours underneath, and badly painted, stone chips are making it really obvious. JJust have to decide how shes getting the matt black. Truck bed Liner? Poundland rattle can? Brush?

Fireblade had new crash bungs fitted after laying her down in the snow. Waiting on nicer weather before I take her out and see if we can even begin to get those chicken strips off on these roads. Bike far outstrips my ability at least. Still giggle like a schoolkid whwen I let off after a pull over 7K. Utterly silly, and I love it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 33 of 48