Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 27 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighta chatted up the kiwi guy who came to get the Suzuki, as rumour has it that he also fixes Harleys ... Thinking

But the place where I take the Harley, they know it well, so I am sending it back there cos I think it was them that fucked it up and the reason why its backfiring so badly.

Anyway, I might work on the kiwi guy a li'l bit more while he is still here. Mr. Green Thumbs Up We compared NZ experiences so it might be worth cultivating him, in case we both retire to the homeland at the same time Laughing

His name is Dave, after all ... Thinking

Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 27 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
All Harleys have a missfire, on account of it doing wasted spark when they don't need to and is completely pointless and thats whats makes the special 'Harley' sound.

Nah this is more than just some throaty grumble. It was definitely not the way it used to be, it was scaring all the locals, LOL. Forest Gate is a dodgy place to be at the best of times, without some mentalist on a Harley backfiring the fuck out of everything and scaring the natives. Laughing

Within half a mile of the shop it was was like a bucking bronco to ride home. I considered turning round and taking it back to the shop there and then, but the traffic was too heavy so I just kept facing in a homeward direction. They'd had the bike for several months already (waiting for parts) so I just wanted to get it home again, but by the time I got it home, I knew something wasn't right.

Problem is, I've been so mental busy since then that I just haven't had a chance to take it back to them and have a look. Rolling Eyes Plus, havign the Suzuki back on the road was a proper buzz so I stuck with that for a while, give the Harley a bit of a rest.

But last week I had an appointment with a dermatologist who was just round the corner, so I figured I could afford to pop into the shop and chat to them.

Now I've got a week off, I figured I'd get it taken back there.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be a timing issue with the Harley.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:45 - 09 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the 955 Daytona back together today after having it in bits to unblock the tank rain water drain, need to drain the tank now and get some fresh fuel then will be ready to go.

New tyres on the Deauville, went with Road 5s, what a difference to the worn out old Bridgestones it was wearing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:01 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to put an 8x6 number plate on the Husky. Wanted to drill some new holes so the plastic bolts are either in solid black or yellow and it seems the backing plate is made of Adamantium Sad Finally thrown some cash at decent HSS drill bits instead of the useless Chinesium shite I have.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Went to put an 8x6 number plate on the Husky. Wanted to drill some new holes so the plastic bolts are either in solid black or yellow and it seems the backing plate is made of Adamantium Sad Finally thrown some cash at decent HSS drill bits instead of the useless Chinesium shite I have.

Nah.. put the wrong colour in the right place and confuse ANPR Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

Bought 2nd hand replacement stator plate assembly (that way I have spare coils for lighting and charging), and the bike is completely happy again. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 10 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those coils would be pretty straightforward to rewind.
If you made a note of the resistances of a good working set
that would give a ballpark figure for a DIY set.

I wouldn't even bother counting the turns, just the direction.
I found similar sized wire wound to a similar size final diameter gave good results when I've rewound stators/pulsers.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Those coils would be pretty straightforward to rewind.
If you made a note of the resistances of a good working set
that would give a ballpark figure for a DIY set.

I wouldn't even bother counting the turns, just the direction.
I found similar sized wire wound to a similar size final diameter gave good results when I've rewound stators/pulsers.

I did think of that, and If I had more time in my life I think it's something I would have a go at. I am a big believer in only fixing what is broken and not throwing parts at things.

But I wasn't entirely sure which coil was bad - the pulser or the exciter. In the end I still think the Pulser given the hot resistence reading, but other than splicing in a spare I couldn't be sure - Esspecially as it seems the manuals have various resistence readings listed for the years and models (despite being the same part number) and more so, not even necessarily correct.

Anyway. I had an extremely good deal on them as a single item which made me choose this option instead of re-winding the faulty coil so I chose the easier option this time. Plus, spares now too.

Aside from this, some work done to some bikes in the last few days:

Fixed tail lamp in the Suzuki. It was barely there in the day (brake light fine) but would only light a bit brighter when RPM applied. Certainly in the night time the cars headlamps pointing at my rear pretty much overlappsed any output my lamp was making. Corroded connection under the mudguard fixed. There was no continuity in the wire to the 5w element of the tail lamp. The restriction of connection meant only high current I guess was getting through. Same problem I had on my Trophy with it's brake light: No brake light at idle, but would work higher RPM- No continuity in wire. I just layed a bypass wire in that instance. But same thing really.

I also swapped rear wheels of my MZ ETZ250 (as the Mitas H-03 tyre was below 1mm legal limit (covered 10,000 miles though!)) and I put on a used tyre that was given to me by a friend. Used tyre is a Metzeler ME22 with only 2mm but free is free. I've not used Metzeller ME22 (or any Metzeler for that matter) so I'm interested in how it performs, it definitely has a nice shape to it still- and not square. Might last 1k or so... We'll have to see. Some people probably wouldn't even bother installing a tyre for only 1mm of use but I would! Especially as I want to know what it handles like! Not a fan of the water channel cut design but... of course I like free things.

I tried to change the brake fluid on the ETZ250 too, an easy job....., so I emptied the reservoir, then prepared to crack open the bleed screw but the freaking thing wouldn't budge, even with 6 point quarter inch socket (10mm bleed screw so not small either). Cheap aftermarket crap nipple that just rounded. I installed it only two years ago to replace the original bleed screw that was rounded (I wish I never threw it out now- obviously harder metal). For now I just filled up the reservoir again and had a mood. Not sure whether I should just drain and fill the reservoir once a year (instead of full flush once every 2 years), until the brake pads have worn to minimum - because at that point I want to strip and clean the caliper, or just have at it with the bleed screw, but find a replacement beforehand for a quick swap before trying again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:28 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Used tyre is a Metzeler ME22 with only 2mm but free is free. I've not used Metzeller ME22 (or any Metzeler for that matter) so I'm interested in how it performs...

I've had ME22s on my C90 before now, obviously I found them a vast improvement on the dreadful OE tyres, but that's a verrrrrry low bar... great on dry roads, but not always confidence inspiring in the wet; it'd be interesting to hear what you think.

I've since settled on Conti Gos... those and a set of CG125 shocks have absolutely transformed the little chicken chaser.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 13 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:

I've had ME22s on my C90 before now, obviously I found them a vast improvement on the dreadful OE tyres, but that's a verrrrrry low bar... great on dry roads, but not always confidence inspiring in the wet; it'd be interesting to hear what you think.

I've since settled on Conti Gos... those and a set of CG125 shocks have absolutely transformed the little chicken chaser.

These days I do buy the cheapest tyres, I must admit I haven't had a named 'western' brand for years now.

Though there are a few tyres the smaller capacity bike riders like, including the ME22, I like to experiment except for buying an unused 13 year old Michelin M45 which are no longer sold (at least in Europe that I can find), specifically because that is a tyre I do like - even with the scalloping, contrary to what I just said above.

I have had some tyres I don't like but have moved them to different positions on the vehicle and/or just used them through to end of life anyway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 16 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilled the new holes for the numberplate. A decent drill bit did a much better job, obviously. The set I bought have this tiny step arrangement on the cutting edge:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51O0xcS5vrL._SL480_.jpg

Dunno if it really makes much odds to the initial drilling but you certainly know when you're almost though. The resulting holes were nice and clean... unlike the old holes which are a right mess. Need to find my deburring tool Neutral

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 21 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
it'd be interesting to hear what you think.

It's been brief in testing, but in short I'm not sure I think they're all that. The bike seems more effort to steer for a start, despite now having a curved rear tyre instead of the square one it had before. And I think I hear you regarding wet conditions.

All in all, probably not the best first encounter for me what with fitting an almost fully worn as a test of the tyre. Perhaps, one shouldn't wear other people's shoes, esspecially if they're already broken in.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 21 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out on the bike today (car was getting an MoT) and I'm still not sure on the exhaust.

What I Want: the roar of a lion with a 40-a-day Marlboro habit.

What I Have: the yappings of a Yorkshire Terrier with a slight cough... but through a loudhailer Sad

The bike certainly has the decibels but I'm still on the quest for tonal quality. That being said everyone gets out the fricking way in traffic queues so that's a side benefit.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 21 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
slowasyoulike wrote:
it'd be interesting to hear what you think.

It's been brief in testing, but in short I'm not sure I think they're all that. The bike seems more effort to steer for a start, despite now having a curved rear tyre instead of the square one it had before. And I think I hear you regarding wet conditions.

All in all, probably not the best first encounter for me what with fitting an almost fully worn as a test of the tyre. Perhaps, one shouldn't wear other people's shoes, esspecially if they're already broken in.

No tyre with just 2mm tread left on it is going to ride remotely like a new one. The profile is already lost and the water clearing action severely diminished.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 21 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

drained the carbs. no more riding until its warm and dry out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:25 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

12 degC today here in sunny south wales. Balmy spring-like weather. Got in a 50 mile commute on mine. Doused her in oil and all covered up now but Friday/Saturday look like being decent days too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

No tyre with just 2mm tread left on it is going to ride remotely like a new one. The profile is already lost and the water clearing action severely diminished.

Of course. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

https://i.giphy.com/ZGU890vUpxuOKjKcpZ.webp

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 23 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the chaps at the bike shop where the Snarley has been in and out of over the last [n] years, as they know it best.

The thing started backfiring on my way home from them the last time I took it there (a year ago), so rather than turn around (wanky traffic in Forest Gate) and take it back I just went home, seeing as how it had been in there for the best part of three months already, plus I have been too busy with work and other shite to get it sorted, plus the Suzuki was working so I was less inclined to get the Snarley sorted properly, and now the battery is flat.

So they're gonna have a look at it on Wednesday. Like, after Christmas FFS

Anyway, at least its inside I suppose. Rolling Eyes

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 23 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

12 degC today here in sunny south wales. Balmy spring-like weather. Got in a 50 mile commute on mine. Doused her in oil and all covered up now but Friday/Saturday look like being decent days too.

similar temp here but the roads are damp/wet and have been salted.
aint got time to be washing no bike.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about washing the bikes? Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 25 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Who said anything about washing the bikes? Laughing

some of us have standards old boy.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 28 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed heated grip wiring on number 2 son's (idiot) bike.

He had wired up heated grips, but not enough slack, so after 2 or 3 months, the wires have snapped.

He had also just wired direct to the battery . No relay , but then apparently they don't need one.

I've also put his bike on the Abba Stand, we got adapters at the NEC. I'd forgotten how to use it.

I've literally done feck all maintenance on either bike for years, being time poor and also wanting to support my bike mechanic. It always takes him about a third of the time it takes me.

Now I've 2 weeks off work and actually remembering I used to enjoy doing this.

Wife also wants a new bathroom fitting, I can't be arsxed with that either.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finishing off a project Triumph that's passed through several hands. Anachronistically it has billet cut yokes and swing arm but the original agricultural engine (this ones gear shift on the right) and oil reservoir in the hollow frame.

Following the various breather pipes... top of the frame, top of the engine, crank case... let's see where all that vents to...

https://i.imgur.com/3zCm58i.jpg

A silver pipe that ends behind the number plate right above the tyre. What a marvellous piece of design!

The whole spec is minimalist: no indicators, no clocks. It started battery-less as well but fuck kicking this lump over a dozen times. As there will be proper power I'm going to add a tiny brake light and horn so there's some vague hand-waving towards safety. Possibly a hi/lo beam switch for the headlamp.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 46 of 48