Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:40 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode mine yesterday too for a change, got less than 10 minute down the road before I got a phone call saying the youngest had fallen off a scooter and needed medical attention, Mrs P and the in-laws we’re together at an opticians appointment so I had to go and be nursey. Managed a full 11 miles Mad

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to sort a stiff gear shift on Lozzypops bike I had to remove the gear change and the bolt broke so had to cut it with a hacksaw blade then lever the fitting open. Then had to weld a nut on the broken bolt so I could wind it out.

A few months back I bought a bag or unplated mild steel nuts just to do this, most nuts are zinc plated which makes things difficult. It took about 10 tries, bolt didn't want to weld so cranked the welder up to 160amps which got enough heat into it.

Afterwards I clamped the clamp back into shape and all is good. Everything greased, new rubber boots and an oil change later it seems a lot better.

The gear change clamp.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104940

The welded broken bolt.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104939

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Solved a problem Reply with quote

My newly acquired BMW R1100RS was in the bike shop for a complete brake line replacement (They worked, but had been badly neglected). I could not be bothered to sort out the bleeding through the ABS modulator because that an be tricky, so it went to them. They had been unable to finish the job on Tuesday because of a 'missing' piece in the kit of Goodridge hoses.

The piece, was a splitter dividing the single feed hose to the two front hoses fitted to the callipers. They, the workshop could not find the original BMW splitter that does not come with the kit because I had cleaned it up and refitted it. They never thought about looking UNDER the mudguard. Dooooh!

I wish I had done it myself!.

Something they will not forget again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:48 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Solved a problem Reply with quote

photoman wrote:

The piece, was a splitter dividing the single feed hose to the two front hoses fitted to the callipers. They, the workshop could not find the original BMW splitter that does not come with the kit because I had cleaned it up and refitted it. They never thought about looking UNDER the mudguard. Dooooh!

Isn't the mudguard supposed to keep crap off and so deliberately putting something under it rather than above it a bit stupid?

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Solved a problem Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
photoman wrote:

Isn't the mudguard supposed to keep crap off and so deliberately putting something under it rather than above it a bit stupid?

The missing fitting is made of a brass casting and machined to the requirements. It was muddy as hell but when all that was cleared away it was as good as new. If you were to look at the design of the Telelever front suspension you would no other place to fit the splitter than where they did. At least it came apart quite easily which is more than I can say about the manufacturing failings of other machines.
The only other alternative possibility would be to have very long brake lines direct to the calipers.

In this case it was the technicians needing to listen to where I described it was - or in extreme circumstances go to Specsavers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Solved a problem Reply with quote

photoman wrote:
At least it came apart quite easily which is more than I can say about the manufacturing failings of other machines.

It's still a stupid place to put it considering it could get ripped off if something gets pulled in below the mudguard.

It's nice that BMW have found one thing they can build that lasts. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the carbs off the old Kwacker to set all the float heights, seemed a bit easier to get on with than the CB400. Discovered someone* had put all the choke arms on upside down! Apart from needing to tinker with the throttle pull and the idle screw it's all running lovely now. Choke certainly works a lot better Smile

Anyhoo, I'd previously bumped into a mate who's sorting out some Harley Day... but even a Harley** fan would like to see a KZ1000 in action so we'll be out tomorrow - probably the only two bikes without push rods Very Happy

*who shall remain nameless
** "Oh! A Shovel Head, I've heard of those... no idea what it means." cue the history of knuckle- pan- shovel-heads, Evos and some mystical tech called overhead cams.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the cam guide, the slippery, annoying fecking thing out of the motor. Endoscope failed miserably. This lash up however, worked first time. Aluminium TIG rod around some N52 Neodymiums. Fished the little bastid straight out.
https://i.imgur.com/pjnCTK5l.jpg

I also made very sure the annoying bastid slippery thing was nowhere near the motor while getting the next pic. Pretty sure I can slide it around to it's position after the cam is in.
I think the cam chain may be fouled/caught up somewhere in the bottom end, as I can't get the cam in properly, and looking straight on from the side, it does seem to be a link or two short of aligning properly. This is the same with the old and new cam. I'll have to see if I can persuade it to let go and give me a link or when I get more time.
https://i.imgur.com/IBydU3rl.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harley event was a bit quiet so went to the Ace Café instead where they were having... a Harley event Rolling Eyes

Front brake on the Kwacker started binding on the way there Shocked so that's a complete rebuild pencilled in for next week! Also got roped into sorting a check engine light on a 48. I suspect it's just a bad connection to the rear oxygen sensor Thinking

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've refurbished the belly pan. It was scratched to buggery underneath and pretty gunked up inside with chain lube encrusted with gravel.
I went through the fine grades of wet and dry for the scratch removal then used a keying pad for the rest.
Primed, sprayed, sorted.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
the Ace Café ... were having... a Harley event Rolling Eyes

Damn, I was gonna go to that - but I was busy sitting on a dog.
Brick Wall

Today I have mostly been starting up the bikes after I got home from dogsitting, to make sure they still run, as I haven't ridden or started them for a week or three.

Harley - yes
Suzuki - battery speedily flattening Rolling Eyes

SO ... I'm pretty sure I haven't got any jump leads but as I have to have a tool sort-out, I will check to see if I have and mebbe have a go at jumping it off the sportster when I have a moment (in around a week or so Rolling Eyes )

Or else I'll just call the RAC, cos I haven't used them at all this year.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
the Ace Café ... were having... a Harley event Rolling Eyes

Damn, I was gonna go to that - but I was busy sitting on a dog.
Brick Wall

The fella with the Great Dane (wearing Doggles) in the sidecar was there. At the time I pointed out the seat height of said canine was higher than most of the bikes but still probably your best chance of success if sitting on dogs is your thing Wink

With regards to jumping bikes I'd recommend investing in a cheap lithium-ion jumper pack. They're a bit underpowered for a typical car but my one's always served me well for bikes. More convenient that wrestling two bikes side by side for jumper cables.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Or else I'll just call the RAC, cos I haven't used them at all this year.

or C... get a battery charger. sounds like it might be a wise investment for you.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had a similar convo with the senior consort (who does have one)
Might just do this:

* Jump start Suzuki (whether from Snarley or from RAC-man)
* Ride to senior consort's house (a good 30-40 minute ride) thus hopefully giving battery a good opportunity to charge up.
* Do whateverrrrrr ...
* Next morning, see if bike starts, and if not allow him to put bike on charge, and go back to doing whateverrrrrrr Laughing
* Encourage him to take me to B&Q and buy myself a charger to take home again.

Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Damn, I was gonna go to that - but I was busy sitting on a dong.
Brick Wall

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired in a dual USB3 Quickcharge and Voltmeter. All work off the same switch as the camera now. Re-made bracket with switches on it and this time added a hole for the phone mount. Tidied up wiring in cowl. Added a pair of short flyleads, some M6 nuts, bolts and washers to act as busbar for the battery terminals under the seat. Slapped in lots of tape.
https://i.imgur.com/tu08GxOl.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:18 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I think the cam chain may be fouled/caught up somewhere in the bottom end, as I can't get the cam in properly, and looking straight on from the side, it does seem to be a link or two short of aligning properly. This is the same with the old and new cam. I'll have to see if I can persuade it to let go and give me a link or when I get more time.
https://i.imgur.com/IBydU3rl.jpg

Try rotating the crank whilst the cam sprocket is held up as high as possible. You may need to try one side and then the other and hold the chain whilst holding the sprocket as high as possible on the relevant side.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:20 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, popping out the chain guides will probably help

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Try rotating the crank whilst the cam sprocket is held up as high as possible. You may need to try one side and then the other and hold the chain whilst holding the sprocket as high as possible on the relevant side

Oh, popping out the chain guides will probably help

Yeah, I'll give that a whirl on Thursday, I'll get the minion to hold something like a screwdriver in and let it rotate over that. I'm going to go and actually ride the VFR somewhere other than work tomorrow, hence chucking the charger & stuff in that I ripped out when rewiring after the little scrotes tried to have it off last year. I only have the front/lower guide in, as it has to go under the head gasket. I can put the upper one in once I have the cam in. Both are new (as is almost the whole top end)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:48 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case go for the side with the guide out.

What has happened is the chain has kinked so two links are in the space on the bottom sprocket that only one link should be.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What has happened is the chain has kinked so two links are in the space on the bottom sprocket that only one link should be.

That's what I was thinking in the initial post, but nice to see I'm not hallucinating the issue and remedy. Cam chain got dropped into the case a couple of times and fished out with a hook, so it's no real surprise that it's not sitting properly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:34 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have checked that the chain is sitting on the bottom sprocket at all by rotating it?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed its MOT on warped discs/possible buckled front wheel.

Spare wheel, new brembo discs, calipers stripped and cleaned, new brembo red pads.

MOT passed.

Now stops faster than Jimmy Saville at the school gates.

https://i.imgur.com/bEDM1VE.jpg?1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You have checked that the chain is sitting on the bottom sprocket at all by rotating it?

I'm assuming so, as you can't rotate the chain without it trying to move the motor. Didn't try further, my back was reminding me I'm not 20 anymore.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the brake binding issue on the Kwacker the front calliper got rebuilt...

https://i.imgur.com/kYncrV4.jpg?1

Some slight pitting on the piston Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 6 of 47