Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to line up the high level link ppe and Remus Viper I had welded up a few weeks back. It just clears the tyre, but a miss is as good as a mile.

https://i.imgur.com/DMaI1Ybl.jpg

Big question is, do I leave it on the 4th gen, or put it on the 3rd gen that arrives next week.
https://i.imgur.com/voK4atbl.jpg

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of the My Little Pony saddle bag containing my tool kit, so I fitted an ammo tin instead. No modifications made to the bike - it fits where the handle rail used to be. It seems robust enough, but I can't declare it a resounding success yet, as it does vibrate a lot. It's attached by means of 2 sections of square-section steel tubing, with very large washer sandwiches at each end (rubber in between 2 steel washers). One bolt is 6mm and the other 8mm. I'll need to ride around with this for a bit and see if it works out. If not, I can always strengthen it by reinforcing the hidden side with sections of flat iron.

https://i.ibb.co/0Qj97CL/IMG-20211105-151744.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/RDYWSCC/IMG-20211105-151753.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I got tired of the My Little Pony saddle bag containing my tool kit, so I fitted an ammo tin instead. No modifications made to the bike - it fits where the handle rail used to be. It seems robust enough, but I can't declare it a resounding success yet, as it does vibrate a lot. It's attached by means of 2 sections of square-section steel tubing, with very large washer sandwiches at each end (rubber in between 2 steel washers). One bolt is 6mm and the other 8mm. I'll need to ride around with this for a bit and see if it works out. If not, I can always strengthen it by reinforcing the hidden side with sections of flat iron.

https://i.ibb.co/0Qj97CL/IMG-20211105-151744.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/RDYWSCC/IMG-20211105-151753.jpg

I'm building up a little toolkit at the moment, what's in yours?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:41 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

A phone and the number for recovery that I pay for.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Fuses (glass), spark plugs, 2 x CO2 canisters, can of Tyre Weld (as this bike uses tubed tyres), 2 x Allen keys, cheap but strong multitool with screwdrivers and pliers and blades which I don't mind abusing (I keep my Gerber at home), adjustable wrench (standard type), adjustable wrench (6-sided 2-ended type), normal posidrive screwdriver, bag of cable ties, electrical tape, test light screwdriver, assorted open-ended spanners in small sizes (10mm to 16mm). I'm not carrying anything half-decent in there, in case I want to leave the bike somewhere unattended.
I have a padlock on its way to me, but if someone is determined to get into that, they will. It's better than a soft bag though.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punctures notwithstanding, what kind of breakdown do you envisage that lot being useful for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Punctures notwithstanding, what kind of breakdown do you envisage that lot being useful for?

I hope that one day I'll trust the bike enough that I'll be able to just keep that thing empty and use it just for holding ale bottles. I believe the bike is fully sorted. It doesn't give me any hint or sign of trouble. It's a real delight. However, getting it to work has been an interesting road. Many times this year, I thought it was OK but it needed another look. Do I trust it? I suppose I should do so. A lot has been renewed on this bike. Not everything is wired or cabled up as standard. I just enjoy riding it more knowing that I've got the kitchen sink with me. I do have a full nationwide recovery policy. I suppose the tool kit is a bit OTT but I want to put a few thousand miles on it before I go without.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
holding ale bottles… I just enjoy riding it more knowing that I've got the kitchen sink with me. I suppose the tool kit is a bit OTT but I want to put a few thousand miles on it before I go without.

Good points. I get that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Fuses (glass), spark plugs, 2 x CO2 canisters, can of Tyre Weld (as this bike uses tubed tyres), 2 x Allen keys, cheap but strong multitool with screwdrivers and pliers and blades which I don't mind abusing (I keep my Gerber at home), adjustable wrench (standard type), adjustable wrench (6-sided 2-ended type), normal posidrive screwdriver, bag of cable ties, electrical tape, test light screwdriver, assorted open-ended spanners in small sizes (10mm to 16mm). I'm not carrying anything half-decent in there, in case I want to leave the bike somewhere unattended.
I have a padlock on its way to me, but if someone is determined to get into that, they will. It's better than a soft bag though.

Fuses are a good shout. I've got most of the other things you've mentioned. I found a multimeter for about £4 instead of a test light, I like multimeters Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:54 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought it

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the Snarley a new V5 Rolling Eyes
Lost the old one Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
And also taxed it for a year.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT pass on the CBR, handling is sweet with the new headstock bearings.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a tracker on the Kwacker Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

What kind of system did you choose?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posed around town on it last night Wink
Was quite fun.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

What kind of system did you choose?

Hand rolled, I have mentioned it in the techie section.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I posed around town on it last night Wink
Was quite fun.

Hackney's hardly high-class, hipsters habituate. Horrifying!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right bike for the area then Very Happy

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This involves taking the right side engine cover off and the centrifuge cover, so plenty of messing around removing old gaskets from the casings. Oh fun

It did at least all go to plan and it was done and dusted in a few hours. The centrifugal oil cleaner was actually cleaner than expected, a small amount of crud (circled in red) but not as much as I thought.

This lot pretty much exploded when I took it apart (despite leaning the bike over at 45 degrees for the procedure), with springs and various other bits flying everywhere. Fortunately it wasn't rocket science to work out how it all went back together.

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 08:57 - 26 Apr 2023; edited 1 time in total

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it home.
1991 VFR750, 43K miles. Used to be red, but I like the colour she is now. Lots of work already done, wavy discs up front, calipers look new, braided lines all round, very new Avon Storm 3D's on both ends... someone put effort into her. Plan is to chuck a battery on her, fuel in the tank, then wash and MOT her.

https://i.imgur.com/oDlCNwHl.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The hipsters were the ones who dress like Bodie and that guy from Oasis Laughing
Aside from them, the bar I was in was mostly goth.
They had what I think was the remaining Halloween decorations up, but probably everybody didn't want them taken down anyway.

I don't mind the odd hipster.
They give the place a bit of colour.
Fresh-faced little sausages, they are.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped it off for its mid run-in service.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

XSR700 MoT today... FAIL* Shocked

Forgot to put the pillion pegs back on, idiot Brick Wall Still, it was probably the loveliest November morning, sunny and warm(ish), to be riding about.

Bonus: it was damp out this morning, last night's rain still sitting on the bike cover. Took it off to reveal a bone-dry bike, glad I binned the old cover Smile

*BTW a reminder that if a bike fails and even though your last MoT hasn't yet expired you're not meant to ride the bike unless you've got a properly booked in re-test.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gA7qq7Ja4U

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 12 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

New W5W light bulb (what is the point of them?) New battery in the tyre pressure sensor.

I now have zero fault lights on the bike................... until the next one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 12 of 48