Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started up my XJ550/Radian yesterday - petrol was from 18 months ago, Thumbs Up

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Ah, the vintage stuff from the before-times. You should be able to drain and bottle that for soooo profit soon.

I intended to get out on the KTM the other day when it was warm and almost dry, but I saw a wet leaf on the ground and decided not to bother.

The Honda got a run out a few weeks earlier, so I guess that's it until March for me.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
A100man wrote:

Ah, the vintage stuff from the before-times. You should be able to drain and bottle that for soooo profit soon.
I intended to get out on the KTM the other day when it was warm and almost dry, but I saw a wet leaf on the ground and decided not to bother.
The Honda got a run out a few weeks earlier, so I guess that's it until March for me.

Crikey I only started it - never rode the darn thing Shocked ! Wanted to drive off some of the condensation and run some fuel through the carbs. Brrr!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got fed up waiting for the model specific GIVI handguards to come back into stock for anyone so just did the Oxford universal handguards and I had to break them down to just use a threaded bolt through them instead of the expansion anchor.

I didn’t expect much from them since they were only £60 but after going a quick ride in the -2 degree weather today and getting up to about National Speed Limit on a dual carriage way I’m actually really happy with them.

They made a noticeable difference over running without them. I’d say they deflect more wind than I expected probably because their profile isn’t heavily curved: they are actually quite flat. Work well though.

https://i.imgur.com/BVB2Rgl.jpg

Jay1000RR
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:41 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put new tyres on my bike yesterday, and going to scrub them in today Smile

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

They made a noticeable difference over running without them. I’d say they deflect more wind than I expected probably because their profile isn’t heavily curved: they are actually quite flat. Work well though.

The first time I rode a bike with handguards was at a similar temperature - I had turned up in summer gloves (it was a test ride and I wanted the dexterity on an unfamiliar bike) but riding over to the dealer I had my heated grips on full, yet a 30mph road was seeing my hands turn to ice. Took the bike out with handguards and couldn't believe the difference. It had heated grips too, the combination meant I had lovely warm hands yet still retained the feel of thinner gloves. Plus, in the summer if you get an inattentive overweight insect, they get deflected too as otherwise they can be quite painful.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
The first time I rode a bike with handguards was at a similar temperature - I had turned up in summer gloves (it was a test ride and I wanted the dexterity on an unfamiliar bike) but riding over to the dealer I had my heated grips on full, yet a 30mph road was seeing my hands turn to ice. Took the bike out with handguards and couldn't believe the difference. It had heated grips too, the combination meant I had lovely warm hands yet still retained the feel of thinner gloves. Plus, in the summer if you get an inattentive overweight insect, they get deflected too as otherwise they can be quite painful.

I have heated grips on the Kwak but they only heat the inside of my hands, I was finding that even with my winter gloves on I was still getting cold across the backs of the fingers, finger tips and knuckles especially as I was doing a lot of dual carriage way and motorway miles. Incredible the difference the hand guards made already.

For £60 and fitting time around 15 minutes it was well worth it. Now I am just waiting for fairer weather to fit the newer, bigger top box. The reason I like the new one is it can be removed from the mounting plate that is on the carrier and stowed in my car boot or flat when it's not being used.

I have it booked for a full service in the first week of March.

Jay1000RR
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:24 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

I have heated grips on the Kwak but they only heat the inside of my hands, I was finding that even with my winter gloves on I was still getting cold across the backs of the fingers, finger tips and knuckles especially as I was doing a lot of dual carriage way and motorway miles. Incredible the difference the hand guards made already.

For £60 and fitting time around 15 minutes it was well worth it. Now I am just waiting for fairer weather to fit the newer, bigger top box. The reason I like the new one is it can be removed from the mounting plate that is on the carrier and stowed in my car boot or flat when it's not being used.

I have it booked for a full service in the first week of March.

I've got the heated grips fitted as standard on my 2020 S1000RR M Sport Smile the first bike i have owned with heated grips.... it's a game changer.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:30 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought I didn't need heated grips, until I did, the bike has them so turned them on, amazing

Last edited by BRUN on 13:38 - 05 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
..the bike has them to turned them on, amazing

come again? Confused

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:38 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited Very Happy

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

so we are all pretty much in agreement that heated grips are basically essentials Laughing once you have them you can't go back to not having them.

I am also waiting on my touring screen finally turning up too.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:55 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, the mrs has them on her bike, and shes someone who is always cold so makes use of them a lot, but when I was doing my lessons I never really got cold hands so didnt think I needed them

my bike came with them, nice to have but wouldnt have got them as an add on if it hadnt, but now ive experienced needing them, I couldnt go back

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any heated grips for 6v machines? Cool Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

Who was it who thought up piping the hot air from the engine through the handlebars?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
blurredman wrote:

Who was it who thought up piping the hot air from the engine through the handlebars?

Hotairhandlebarpal?

..not a town in the Punjab by the way.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

My C90 is 12v but no way it's up to running heated grips, it can barely cope with the indicators. Laughing The engine is all hidden away too so can't put my hands on the cylinder head at traffic lights either. Crying or Very sad

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get heated gloves nowadays if grips are no good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
you can get heated gloves nowadays if grips are no good.

They are very good I believe (and battery powered options are available), although not used them myself beyond trying some on at a motorcycle show. Eradicate the issues with cold tops/backs of hands and fingers. That said, prevention is better than cure - handguards remove the airflow in the first place. Combine with heated gloves and I bet you'd be good for sub-zero riding.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
blurredman wrote:

My C90 is 12v but no way it's up to running heated grips, it can barely cope with the indicators. Laughing The engine is all hidden away too so can't put my hands on the cylinder head at traffic lights either. Crying or Very sad

The problem with old lower capacity bikes is the AC ignition. A 2ah battery just doesn't cut it for anything above the requirement of DC brake filament (the 5w and headlamp being ac), horn and indicators for too long Smile Cool

But even if the bike is all DC powered like my newest project, it's only a 60w generator (6v). Good job it has 11ah battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

The problem with old lower capacity bikes is the AC ignition. A 2ah battery just doesn't cut it for anything above the requirement of DC brake filament (the 5w and headlamp being ac), horn and indicators for too long Smile Cool

But even if the bike is all DC powered like my newest project, it's only a 60w generator (6v). Good job it has 11ah battery.

Indeed. I wonder if the electric start C90s ( Sick ) had a more competent electrical system.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
blurredman wrote:

Indeed. I wonder if the electric start C90s ( Sick ) had a more competent electrical system.

I have no experience with the c90's. But imagine it was probably just the same systems they used in the CG's ?

In terms of working on my bike, well I charged the battery after leaving the ignition on overnight on my ES250 (I was running the bike until the float bowl got empty), and silly me didn't turn the ignition off.
Thankfully, being only a 5month old battery, and despite the 3.45v that it depleated to, 24 hours charge has it now at 6.45v, even after 12 hours ret. So thats good Smile

I swapped the tap bowls of the MZ ETZ250 with the ETZ251's, as the one on the etz251 was a bit loose and wouldn't tighten nicely without skipping a tooth- I blame the really cheap aftermarket tap. It's still not resolved fully, but it's better- i'll have to get some teflon tape or something.

Additionally, more battery: the 9ah 12v battery in the etz251 is slowly failing, to the point that with lights on (and brake/indicators) it stalls when it's idling. Battery standing voltage is 12.18v, but trying to eek it out as much as possible (5 years old). Suffice to say that this isn't an issue when the lights are not on, but with this commuting in the dark nonsense, i've replaced the 55/60w p45t bulb with a 35/35w. The 35/35 is halogen at least, so it is still better than a standard 40/45 tungsten, but with 20w less draw it seems to have done the trick on this morning's commute. Cool

It's not too much of a problem as all the roads I use are streetlamped (I suppose therefore legally I only need use pilot light..) anyway, but I am used to poor lighting. Suzuki has 25w (6v) AC light, and the ES250 has a 35w (6v) with delaminated lamp bowl- only go as fast as you can see!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consulted the weather lady in an effort to decide whether or not I should take the bike down to a meet-up in Billingshurst tomorrow, but I continue to remain unconvinced that it would be in my best interests (i.e., cold, foggy)

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 16 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the A100 I think for first time since I moved 4 years ago..
carb needed draining as some 2T oil had crept in but it ran on the old fuel ..
.. after i tickled it with some 'Start ya bastard'. Wink

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YOUAAOSwsRBhIcGu/s-l300.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 16 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the swing arm on the old Triumph, nice and easy. Went to fit the rear wheel... not so good.

"There's a fecking big gap!" We forgot the brake caliper mount Rolling Eyes "Does it look centered?" Errrr....

I had my suspicions that the hub was meant to be off-set which Google quickly confirmed. "Funny you should say that. The old boy* who laced [the rear wheel] said half the spokes seemed a bit short." Doh!

So now the tyre and tube have to come back off, wheel dismantled and rebuilt Crying or Very sad

*Surely if you'd "been at it donkey's years" you'd be aware of the concept of an offset?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 14 of 48