Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
New seat arrived Smile

https://i.imgur.com/qpiVdlQ.jpg?1

Waiting on speedo & tacho cables and the handlebar switches.

..but, but it isn't brown Shocked

It might well be at some point... Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

B1N wrote:
Well I never knew that, it's probably quite intuitive when you get used to it.
I've never ridden a Harley, I did once have a borrow of a Cagiva which had Harley Davidson written on the tank but that doesn't really count, and it was a long time ago. Smile

These are on almost every Harley...

https://www.motea.com/media/catalog/product/cache/e2b9c1cef119cc5d9d49e1eba2f7f7b0/c/r/craftride_griffe_138160-01.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:49 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to make things really simple for yanks...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to swap forks on the 91 over to what I now know are CBR600F3 ones. Was assured by several people it was a straight swap. Nope. Calipers foul on the rim of the disc, it's not by much, they fit on the trough on the wavy discs. May see about doing one in CAD and having it machined at mates rates.

Had given forks I took off to friend that "has done hundreds of fork seals", so I could put them on the 4th gen. He proceeded to bring them back having hammered the upper bush into the fork lower without having the stanchion in there. No fucking idea how I get that out. He'll be paying for it, or a replacement lower though.

I'll do the 3rd gen for seals myself tomorrow and put them on so shes not out of action.

Bloke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:44 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get my bike back on the road after a hiatus of a few years and decided to give it a good flush of all the fluids and a bit of TLC that has been long overdue.

Today was a fun exercise of draining all the oil, finding out that the mechanic that previously serviced my bike appeared to have used something like PTFE tape/some goop on the sump plug threads in lieu of any sealing washer at all and finally getting the filter off, it must have been put on by a gorilla.

Great stuff.

To find that I had only added the oil filters to my basket, not actually bought them the week or so ago that I was buying all this crap.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke wrote:
...finally getting the filter off, it must have been put on by a gorilla.

This?

https://i.imgur.com/swCyyDE.jpeg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s the small things in life that make you smile.

I bought a packet of seal-picks, 8 different picks for £3.50.
It made getting the seals out of the front caliper of ‘Project Scrappy Hyosung’ so easy. (They were a little awkward before )

My usual practice of digging at seals with a screwdriver is no longer the way to I do it. Thumbs Up .

Last edited by pepperami on 06:10 - 17 Apr 2022; edited 2 times in total

Bloke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:04 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Bloke wrote:
...finally getting the filter off, it must have been put on by a gorilla.

This?

https://i.imgur.com/swCyyDE.jpeg

Ha, was last effort before giving up and resorting to that Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a chain wrench for overtight oil filters. Fantastic things - they distort but don't puncture the filter body and leave a lot less mess to clean up. Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:39 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to use a chain, now i tap an oil filter cup/socket type remover on, w/ a 3/8ths drive

can be a pain getting the cup off the filter after sometimes but it's easier than using a chain imo (chain is fiddlier to get on)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
i used to use a chain, now i tap an oil filter cup/socket type remover on, w/ a 3/8ths drive

can be a pain getting the cup off the filter after sometimes but it's easier than using a chain imo (chain is fiddlier to get on)

Fine with a single bike but when you have half a dozen with different sized filters and some that you'd struggle to get a filter socket on... Razz

I do have one filter socket to be fair, and that works well. I had to have one for my R850R as the filter sits in a housing under the bike and there's not enough showing to get the chain on.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of those strap wrenches for external oil filters.

And, even though I don't overtighten them I do find they can be stuck on a bit fast initially. I think lots of people complain about previous owner's tightening up filters too much but I do feel that a certain amount of heat cycles, and the contact rubber being in place for a year or so certainly tightens things up a little.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

'91 - I got 4th gen forks split apart. PX'ing them with some painted, sorted, lowers a mate has. Ordered new bushes, seals and bolts. Debating some 15W oil instead of the 10 it's recommended to use.

'96 - Cleaned rear caliper out, cleaned pistons, red grease on slider. Test rode it. Got very irate, as did a car driver in the opposite lane, with WVM pulling out without looking or apparently giving any fucks. I was a foot from hitting him, car was maybe an inch. The car driver went to pull him out of the van, big fella too, not surprised he fucked off down the road sharpish. I gave the ride up as a bad idea and fucked off home.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinholes in fuel tank, repaired.

Not the most enjoyable job. It took a few tries before it started holding water. First attempt: silver solder, with lots of flux. Invisible porosity - damp patch when tested. Waste of two silver solder rods. Second attempt: bronze brazing rods with siflux. Didn't get them quite hot enough. Damp patch again. Third time lucky - didn't dare to grind down the brazed lumps though.
Rough and ready sand-prime-paint, in a hurry (I'm tired of working on this tank). When done, the carb got blocked up with rust particles en route to the petrol station. Rolling Eyes All sorted now, though. I'm just glad it finally holds petrol.

https://i.ibb.co/sHmhptK/pinholes-repair-2.png

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the new seals and pistons into the cleaned front brake caliper on ‘Project Scrappy Hyosung’ , yay!

Simple job, easy enough to do Smile .
Happy Pepperami is happy.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t remember the last time I rode the R1 but today I decided to fit the new windscreen and battery, then wash it ready for an as yet unbooked MOT. I meant to see if it would run first but I wound up doing those tasks in reverse order. Now it sounds like it’s running on only three cylinders and I can’t be sure whether I’ve got water somewhere or if there was a pre-existing fault. I’m going to leave it to (hopefully) dry and try again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added oil. This baby burns a pint every 250 miles, and is not a two stroke. Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Added oil. This baby burns a pint every 250 miles, and is not a two stroke. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Shocked Shocked that sounds like it’s not very well!

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:27 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Easy-X"]
B1N wrote:
Hi

AFAIK only Keeway did a knock-off of the Harley flasher relays. Any other bikes ppl know of do the same? Always good to have alternate sources.

My BMW has a left and right push button on each grip, push either side to activate, push both for hazards and the only difference is there is a Seperate cancel button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I can’t remember the last time I rode the R1 but today I decided to fit the new windscreen and battery, then wash it ready for an as yet unbooked MOT. I meant to see if it would run first but I wound up doing those tasks in reverse order. Now it sounds like it’s running on only three cylinders and I can’t be sure whether I’ve got water somewhere or if there was a pre-existing fault. I’m going to leave it to (hopefully) dry and try again.

Fuel gone off! First time I’ve seen it happen. I drained the tank, refilled with Super E5 and it’s all good. The mouth full of syphoned petrol didn’t even taste as bad as it should, nor did it leave me gasping. Volatile fraction gone, maybe? The old fuel was disposed of in the car’s nearly full tank, with no obvious ill effects.

Thinking about it I had topped the Yamaha’s tank and added a dash of Silkolene Pro-FST over a year ago. I’m not sure if that’s a ‘fuel stabiliser’ but I keep some around to fight carb-icing in the Kawasaki. I favoured the ZX6R last year because it was all R1 the year before. I need to get back to alternated use.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke too soon. The R1 idles OK now but it doesn’t like being under load. New spark plugs on order and I’ll check for air/vacuum leaks too because it seemed to be hanging a bit.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

New stoppers going on the old tractor today. Full brake system service as part of the job, naturally.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been twatting about with the two Hyosungs today.

I put the GT250r on charge, only for the charger to indicate a battery fault?, however the bike started first time on the button?

Been fiddling around with the choke on the GT125r (Project Scrappy Hyosung)
Had the engine running today Smile Thumbs Up .
Trying to work out why the right side indicators work but the left side indicators don’t??

I fugkin hate bikes with little intermittent faults Evil or Very Mad .

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about buying another one.
(just a little one, just a little knockabout til my other two get sorted, then I'll sell it, I promise ) Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old fella's KZ1000 is running a bit rough on idle. I'm hoping it's just some of the pilot jets being blocked as getting a bank of 4 carbs off for a proper clean is a nightmare on this bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 19 of 47