Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a bid to get rid of a bit of pulsing on the front brake lever of my zx9r c2 i set about freeing up the bobbins as i suspected for a while that the discs aren't "floating" any more

i got a nut and bolt of suitable size, a gloss sized paint brush and half a pint of isopropyl and got on with cleaning and freeing up the seized bobbins - there are seven per disc

some were pretty tight tbf

once done, i got on for a quick ride to see if there was any difference - at first the feel on the lever was horrendous - but a few stops later and things had improved considerably, and 3 miles later the feel on the lever was sweet AF (gone was the wooden lack of feel and the slight pulsing sensation). Lever travel has always been amazing on these callipers - it's barely half an inch or more

these are refurb'd Nissin 4 pots of a bandit 12, which i replaced the oem 6 pot tokicos with about 18 months ago - bolts straight on...huge improvement imo, esp. with braided lines

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear sprocket change (new chain was fitted about a week ago). Upon removal, discovered that the old sprocket was a hilarious "JT" fake. Wonky lettering, etc.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layed new (temporary test wire) from ignition switch to coil + to eliminate a few enquiries on the Trophy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, just tested the coil + feed on the old KZ1000 (getting >12V so that seems okay) but tried starting it with the plugs out and one coil pack - outer cylinders - doesn't seem to generate sparks till the engine's been turned over for a bit (compared to the inner cylinders which have a good spark immediately.) >40yo coils so probably worth replacing.

Hopefully replacing 'em sorts the rough idle problem.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the rad cap on one of the Deauvilles as it was making an odd sucking/blowing/whistling noise. There was crystallised coolant around the cap seat so guessing this was the problem, time will tell.

Bit of a nightmare to change as per a lot of modern bikes, the cap is covered with bodywork so 2 hours work to change it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally settled on a luggage solution that satisfies me. These high quality bags have enough space in them for a picnic.

The ammo tin was the coolest-looking storage method I tried. However, it was only big enough for use as a tool case. Plus the steel began to bend and the tin drooped after a while. The on-seat My Little Pony thing from Ebay had plenty of space, but the cheap nylon straps chafed and wore through.

I think it's going to be these bags now, and that's it. I've bolted a little bit of square-section steel behind each bag to prevent them reaching the wheel. However, I'll need to improve those, as they're sharp and pointy at their extremities, and will eventually damage these bags. Currently attached with zip ties, although that will change (to paracord).

https://i.ibb.co/R4rz0hP/saddlebags.jpg

Update: these should do.

https://i.ibb.co/S695syR/brackets.jpg

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold the ER5, now back down to the one bike.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

How do you find the Royal Enfield? Can it sit at motorway speeds?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

im curious to know too. now that they have brought out a classic version in quite interested myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Haven't finished running it in yet so not given it the full beans, but everything bodes well with my fat arse on it. Sits OK at 60, with another 2k revs to go - it has a speed limiter at 72mph so will hit that first rather than the rev limiter. Most of the peeps in the owners groups are the types that avoid motorways, but there's a few who've swapped the air intake to a free breathing one and upped the front sprocket a tooth, to free a couple of ponies and make the cruising on motorways more relaxed. I may give that a go once I get a feel for what it can do unmolested.

Other than that, I have to say it's the most comfortable bike out of all that I've owned, and although the wet weight is only 2kg less than the ER5, it feels more like my old YBR Custom when wheeling around the drive and garage, and just goes where you point it when riding, and it's a lot smoother than any of my previous Enfields.

It's not going to win any races, but that's not what I got it for.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 30 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

110% success by replacing the KZ1000 coils!

Recap: bike was a bit rough on idle even after warming up. Basically got to the point it'd stall under 2000rpm Sad Tried carb clean and then found we weren't getting a good spark on the outer plugs. New coils + all new connectors and now the bike's running better than ever! Almost starts and runs with no choke (with the current clement weather.) The old fella's well happy Smile

On the Triumph we were going to have a latching button for the hi/lo beam but the new one that's turned up is the wrong thread size. Fuck it, gonna stick with the current momentary button and back it up with a latching relay. The hi/lo beam will then work much the same as the "Harley-style" indicators.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent most of the weekend working on the ‘03 R1 and I enjoyed it but ultimately I haven’t been able to diagnose the stalling which prevented me getting to the MOT on Saturday. Disappointed in myself. It looks like I’ll have to ask the local bike shop to bring the van of shame and collect it for repair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumped on the GK73A project bike over the weekend.

Picked up a set of powder coated metalwork for the back end last weekend (rear subframe and exhaust brackets). Got it all on and bolted up, had to make a plate to mount the rectifier using a real one as a pattern.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52045766179_8484a15566_b.jpg

Fitted battery box and sorted out all the wiring in that area, then realised at some point a previous dickhead has routed the wiring harness the wrong way (should go outside the frame and clip to the airbox).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52044473092_96288fabf7_b.jpg

Disconnected the loom from the front and pulled it back through the frame spar, i'll sort the routing out once the new grommets come.

Used the unwiring as an excuse to remove the rather tatty clocks and build a decent set with an MPH speedo off an RGV with new sponge and backplate. Much tidier.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52045766109_65896ccfdc_b.jpg

Removed the GSX400F forks which it came with and fitted a reasonable set of standard forks (new seals and oil).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52045767759_690953d838_b.jpg

Realised the battery it came with was as Li-Po so that will be going in the bin. I have no way of charging such a device and I don't trust the charging system on the bike to cope with it.

Carbs are away being done so I aim to get the cooling system, exhaust and wiring back on before they come back. At the same time I should received some spare wheels shod with new tyres. The risk with the project is I have no idea how good the engine is. I did the clearances last weekend and there were a few pitted cam lobes (usually a sign of crap oil or infrequent changes), but it looked clean and had good draw on all pots. Worse case scenario I freshen up one of my spare engines and chuck it in over winter.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
110% success by replacing the KZ1000 coils!

Recap: bike was a bit rough on idle even after warming up. Basically got to the point it'd stall under 2000rpm Sad Tried carb clean and then found we weren't getting a good spark on the outer plugs. New coils + all new connectors and now the bike's running better than ever! Almost starts and runs with no choke (with the current clement weather.) The old fella's well happy

I also have a similar problem I've been investigating with my Trophy. After a 110 mile ride last month (had been 700 miles trouble free until then after bike build up/engine re-build), the bike would mis-fire at low RPM and buck as ignition kicked in and out at low speed. Would backfire after cutting out sometimes. Seems like definitely ignition. Been tracing voltage leaks at fuse box and charging system etc too for possible charging issues (thought it might have been too much battery discharge at first).

However: typical symptoms point to coil or condenser. Perfectly happy and idles fine enough when cold, but over period of riding, bike mis-fires slightly at idle and sometimes stalls. Eventually bike will not idle at all, and have to keep the RPM @ about 2k to stop bike from stalling.

Have spare condenser/capacitor that I can nick off other bikes (I know that they work after all and the different systems both use 250v 0.22uF capacitors so very standard), which I will change first, but don't have spare 6v coil if this turns out not to be the fault. Resistences check out warm or cold on the coil but that doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to coils. But I could try 12v coil (it may or may not work) if condenser change doesn't fix anything. (worth noting I don't have a capacitence tester, so replacement is best diagnosis for me).

I also think the condenser (I hope- they're cheaper), would be the fix to the above but additionally, at high gear/low RPM applications the bike (always did this even after rebuild) does bog out a bit (more in like a mis-fire way as opposed to air/fuel way). So hoping that was just another symptom of the above too.

Last edited by blurredman on 14:59 - 03 May 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound like strangely similar symptoms especially the "keeping above 2000 rpm" Thinking

FWIW we tested the coil resistances (cold) and they were all within spec. With regards to replacing them you just need something that a) fits and b) has similar primary and secondary resistances, the expected voltage is largely irrelevant. (Condensers/capacitors do have a maximum working voltage so be careful there.)

If it's similarly wired as our T140 then the lucas coils get a 12V feed (check if it's less - hints at poor wiring or corroded connectors) and the points would switch to ground when spark is required. I mention this as you might want to turn over the engine by hand and see what the resistance is between the coil negative and frame.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ignition coils, I will say, stick to the OEM/manufacturer's parts. I've had my share of ignition coil troubles where I've tried to go cheap, in the past. Just isn't worth it. On a 40 year old Kawasaki, I would rather go for a 40 year old Kawasaki original ignition coil, than a Chinese surrogate. If good 40 year old coils are unavailable, I'd switch to a complete replacement electronic ignition system, e.g. Dyna S (there are a couple of other companies that do them, too). As for the points and condenser - replace them anyway as a set because they cost peanuts and it's a no-brainer. Stress-inducing misfires happen when the points are on the way out because of a bad condenser, and it's hard to see pitting or burning on the points, so just replace them if in the slightest doubt. I know you know guys know about electrical stuff and I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs. That's all I've got to say.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I got to work yesterday despite the misfiring, but barely got home. Indeed a few times complete engine stop (whilst riding). Which are symptoms of coil that weren't there before in the same way a mere few days ago.

Either way, as soon as I got home did coil resistence checks (perfect, and not physically hot) I swapped condensers between the bike and another one to rule them out. The Trophy was exactly the same. Misfire, splutter, backfire. The other bike with the suspected condeser was fine- I later used that to go to the shops to test, but also came to work on it to-day and it was perfectly fine... So not condenser.

So now I have to find a nice miniature tube type 6v coil.

I was hoping it would be the condenser, as I have those spare, I also have a few 12v coils spare- but no 6v. So I have to actually spend money on this one.. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
On ignition coils, I will say, stick to the OEM/manufacturer's parts.

I never suggested buy cheap Wink Just sayin' that coils are relatively simple creatures in construction but it seems they can fail in all sorts of... interesting ways Smile

Just handy that I'm in the middle of wiring up the ol' T140 so very familiar with Triumph ignition systems. Probably get it started next week if the old fella ever remembers to buy the SAE90 gearbox oil Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
So now I have to find a nice miniature tube type 6v coil.

These guys seem pretty on the ball, got quite a few bits from them:

https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/electrical-lighting/ignition/coils.html

<edit> You mention 6 volts, I'm assuming it's an old bike?

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno really, because when you think about it 6v was used until relatively recently esspecially on small Jap bikes..

This bike manufacture date is 1972 so still a period of time when either system is perfectly acceptable to the populous. 6v totally DC system. But isn't Japanese, German.

Anyway, got a coil lined up to be picked up on the next club meet on Sunday.. Woop woop. Cool

You can get these things quite cheaply, and I am one to buy cheaply and twice. But, in this case it's handy having the same dimension coil for standard fitting as opposed to getting creative. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally sorted an intermittent electrical issue on the ignition sub loom on the M750 and fitted a pair of high output coils to improve starting.

Replacement timing belts on order and once they're fitted and it's MOTd, it'll be good to go for the summer Very Happy

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

started the thing up for the first time since October and gave it its annual wash. all seems well Thumbs Up
need to book it in for an MOT now.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What started as a pre-MOT check session on the C90 ended up with a tube of Autosol and some gentle rubbing. Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/c8c79cfc-c95e-4c5f-ad9f-3e0e6912768c.jpeg

gt alex
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:17 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seem to get round to my stuff so today after and putting up another 14 ft long book shelf in our spare room (that makes 11) for my wife.
I went out to the local dirt bike shop to look at the Sunday motors flat trackers.
I was half thinking of getting one to improve my skills and not risk my road bike, but I don't know where I could use it, so just got a flyer.
I'm 60 and the practice track time is organised buy age groups because it's aimed at kids.
Once home put my sv650 lithium battery on charge and removed my volt meter and wiring and lowered the clip on bars 1" on the forks.
Both these changes are to make clearance for the 1/2 fairing I am currently mounting but the weathers too sh*t to do much else.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working out the wiring on the ol' Triumph, headlight bucket's the usual rat's nest:

https://i.imgur.com/4DhSQr3.jpg?1

And the handlebar switches:

https://i.imgur.com/lY3BuT2.jpg?1

Just in loosely for now until I've fully tested everything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 20 of 48