Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:50 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

service and MOT today on my 125, all fine

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed an electrical problem with an old '70s KZ1000. Some crimp-joined wires which of course had to be right in the middle so it took longer to re-wrap that part of the loom than anything else. 40+ years for disintegration... not bad really Smile

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes temp sensor. Same result, gauge moves, no fan kicking in. Fan works. Must be a break or connector unplugged in the nose/cluster somewhere. so I wired in a manual fan switch.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grip Puppies arrived today, so will be popping them on shortly. Managed to make one working TomTom mount out of two dead ones, saving myself 40 quid.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a mate ride it around and figured out the metallic rattle was the exhaust collars, and thankfully not the valves...

... so I tightened the flanged exhaust nuts, again. I've no idea why they keep vibrating loose when the torque setting is 10 Nm, and that's not hard to over-do with a spanner.

Never get me to fit you a set of downpipes (once a month tightening required thereafter). Rolling Eyes Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a final attempt to get a compliant front end I've booked it in with Harris in Hertford to get the suspension set up correctly for me.

If that doesn't sort it the next thing I do to my bike will be to sell it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My number plate had started to delaminate so I treated the bike to a new 8x6. That and the old one said "Honda" on the bottom a) Honda are in my bad books at the moment and b) bit odd on a Yamaha Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally ditched my zx9r's 6 pot oem tokico callipers for some refurb'd nissin 4 pots (standard issue on several suzukis and triumphs from the late '90s) - think i got them for about a ton forty, minus pads

i've had the calliper for best part of a year but decided to delay fitment because, well, my pads weren't worn out

finally braked the compound clean off the old pads the other week so got them on, bled up and bedded in (they bolt straight on, somewhat miraculously - just required different thread pitch banjo bolts)

the lever has come up well - there's less travel, and i'd guess about 20% better braking power (although good initial bite doesn't QUITE sustain through to overall stopping strength are my early vibes

what you have to know is that Bandit 12 owners often swap out their 4 pots for the nine's 6 pots - whilst of course, the 9 owners are going the other way lol - i do honestly think the kawasaki owners are on the right path however - the tokicos are stupidly fussy if not serviced every year, and they absolutely won't tolerate winter

also fitted a new rear disc cos the old one was pretty lipped - by "new" I mean old i.e. 2nd hand - £19 off ebay. that got fitted, w/ new pads as well

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

More 125 shenanigans. It's been really fecking hot, I'm a few beers in so I'll tidy the text/typos/pissed fuckups tomorrow...

Started taking the head off. I'm more amazed now than last week it ran at all.
https://i.imgur.com/sI8ykvAl.jpg
Thankfully there doesn't appear to be any damage to the head itself. It's not the intake valve that had sheared, the melted one is the exhaust. Just need to measure these valves and order some, they're not stock Suzuki GS ones, they're smaller.

The rocker on the sheared intake valve had been hitting the sheared off part of the valve enough it had peened it over, so it wouldn't come through the guide in the head. Power tools were required, which was a first for me. Have I mentioned I'm amazed it actually ran?
https://i.imgur.com/7EoMr3j.mp4

Prepped piston by putting rings on. Stuck stuff in a load of labelled bags. Chucked bag over head. Drank much beer.
https://i.imgur.com/jWhOe3ql.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Chucked bag over head.

If you or anyone you know shows signs of depression from motorcycle maintenance please call The Suzuki Samaritans 0800 BIG END....

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:14 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Chucked bag over head.

If you or anyone you know shows signs of depression from motorcycle maintenance please call The Suzuki Samaritans 0800 BIG END....

If that's gone, then it's new motor time. Not fucking around with splitting the bottom end, it's already turned into a full top end rebuild.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:34 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i played apprentice whilst my neighbour led me through changing the headlight bulb on the f800s.

A simple job, you would think. One that can be done at the roadside, in the dark, you would hope, with only the tools in the kit.

And it would have been, albeit fiddly, but when i freed the retaining clip the hinge side popped out too... googlefu identifies it as a common design flaw.

So, front, center and side panels off, windscreen out, unplugging various electrics on the way to release the headlight cluster which is the only way to get the access required.safest done with two pairs of hands. Next time it goes the halfords replace service for a tenner looks appealing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change for the Kawasaki ZX6R. I had spark plugs too but it was too damned hot and the bike is pulling like a train so new plugs can wait (like the valve check… Thinking ).

10Nm for the oil drain bolt (with crush washer) seems low intuitively, and I reckon without a torque wrench I would overtighten. Bit worried that I have two torque wrenches starting at 10Nm (different ranges) and one (the unbranded mid-range one I trust least) wouldn’t click. I tried to compare both by tightening a bolt on my Black & Decker Workmate which secures the wood jaws to the metal frame, but I only succeeded in counter-sinking the head into the plastic washer meaning wrench number 2 couldn’t grip. I think I need to test both wrenches using radius and weight calculations.

New oil in the old Kawasaki tho’. Thumbs Up Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:41 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=333072

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

road it to the coast so that it could get some briney air into its little lungs.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 20 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rewired the rear light on the 535 Bullet after it vibrated the wires apart yesterday. Topped up the primary oil as I still can't ba arsed stripping the whole primary side to replace the gasket on the E/S housing. Then pulled the front brake apart to sort a slight binding, mixture of heat making me mong it and rushing, ended up with the speedo drive at the wrong angle, weighing up whether to fix it later or just have no speedo Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 22 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the classic mistake of calling up That Man with the custom shop in Hanger Lane about adjusting my clutch lever. Rolling Eyes I've managed to avoid doing anything of the sort for almost two years.

Got my ear bent for half an hour, bless him, but also some entertaining conversation, which I have to admit I have missed in the intervening five or so years - and I ended up agreeing to go round there on the weekend and do some office work. FFS.

He's bound to grind my gears at some point, the old bugger. Ahhh fuckit, I need someone to argue with, who thinks they can tell me off, but who I can ignore and argue back at Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:19 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split thread from original mega-thread. Original thread here:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=333100

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:48 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the bike serviced and new pads on today at BMW Manchester.

Rode home and only then did i realise the service indicator is still on.
so i need to go back and get them to reset it

Nuggets!

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:50 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at changing the low beam bulb on my (new to me) 748 as it's blown.

However it appears that I may need to strip most of the front end off to get to the connector as it's somewhere between the headlight bowl and the headlight frame, so I gave up and drank some wine.

After several glasses, I think that I may just snip the old wire off near the bulb, stick a new connector on that and use that for the new bulb. Bit of a bodge but it'll take 5 minutes as opposed to an hour...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I piked out on going to Hanger Lane because rain Laughing (fairweather rider)

Fortunately one of my ex's was coming over so I got him to ride the Snarley round the block a couple of times and see what he thought of the clutch. He reckons it feels fine, but in the meantime I might just put it through a local shop and see what they think.

Started up the GSX as well, just to make sure it was still starting Cool Thumbs Up

The scrotes down the end of the road were milling about with their chavvy crossers out on the pavement, so I was kind of pleased that my ex was looking even more crazy and unapproachable than his normal long-haired heavily-tattooed freakybeard persona (his normal demeanour ) as he rode it round the block Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:59 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

good split, admin

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made up a bracket for the (temporary) switches for the manual fan and camera. Not sure on placement. Relocated camera thingmy that lives on yokes to allow it. We'll see how it does next week. I have some different waterproof switches are on the way, just making sure routing is right, but this is tucked into the cowl fairly well and the contacts are covered in a conformal coating.
Before anyone bitches, the gap in the clip-on was measured beforehand and plate is .05 thinner when bolt is torqued.

https://i.imgur.com/aEA4fQnl.jpg

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:29 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my front sprocket off. Fucking tosser that put it on must have parked in the sea to do it!

Having tightened the puller and hovering around it's limitations, with repeated tapping on the centre bolt, copious applications of penetrating oil, etc I eventually applied a air needle gun with a solid bar in the end to the centre bolt...slowly it began to budge..
Alex1759 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 3 of 48