Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

New coils on the T140!

Didn't fix the problem, still only firing on one cylinder Sad

Has spark? Yup, and brighter with the new coils. Has compression? 150 both sides. Has fuel? Spark plug has petrol on it for the non-functional cylinder. Timing? Done with a strobe gun, spot on. Even went as far as checking the valve clearances Thinking

I was explaining how it didn't really need choke to a friend who turned up to see what we were doing when my subconscious started screaming at me. I checked the linkage between the two carbs and the right one was on a little bit. Disconnected the linkage and it started first kick and sounded lovely Very Happy

So it turned out to be too much fuel on one side... ffs! So now we can get back to the fettling but it's just a totally different bike. Old fella's very happy.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally fitted the DNA air filter cover, keeping the standard filter. After a 10 minute idle, took the bike for a 75 mile bimble to Melton Mowbray and back along one of my favourite roads, the B6047. This road is about 20 miles of gentle hills and twisties, perfect for the Meteor.
Most of the time it's a 3rd & 4th gear ride, with the new cover it's a 4th and 5th gear jobby.

Quite impressed, it's got to be the most simple, cost effective mod with the biggest bang for your buck return. No faster, but each gear gives more, and 5th is now a useable gear, rather than only being an overdrive when on the flat. Looking forward to seeing what it does to the consumption - might be worse because it could bring on hooligan tendencies Smile

Can't really tell if the bike is any louder since I always wear earplugs, but it does seem to be more growly, in a pleasing way.

It's what the bike should be like from the factory.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:44 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it need a remap with more airflow?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:51 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Does it need a remap with more airflow?

No, the 10 minute idle time takes care of that, apparently. There is a unit called Fuel-X that you can get that sits between the O2 sensor and ECU; this can provide a leaner or richer mix for those who have removed the cat and changed the exhaust. I may get one as it lowers the running temperature and smoothes out throttle response, eliminating jerkiness and hunting, but I’m not having many problems with that at the mo.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how 10 mins makes a difference Thinking Something like the lambda sensor needs time to warm up but everyone goes with an integrated heating element to speed up the process these days.

I'm always a bit suspicious of lambda/air-temp/air-pressure sensor mods as they're at best band-aids and a worst outright scams like the "ECU remap plug" Sad

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Not sure how 10 mins makes a difference Thinking Something like the lambda sensor needs time to warm up but everyone goes with an integrated heating element to speed up the process these days.

I've seen various comments of what the bike needs once the swap is made - the 10 minute idle, 3 heat/cooling cycles, and "just ride it". I figured there's only one chance to do a 10 minute idle straight away, so went with that. I think it'll just be a case of the ECU taking longer to adjust if you don't.

Quote:
I'm always a bit suspicious of lambda/air-temp/air-pressure sensor mods as they're at best band-aids and a worst outright scams like the "ECU remap plug" Sad

Me too, but with Euro 5 being stricter with the anti tamper and no remaps being available at the mo, the best you can get so far is the Fuel-X, which drops "I'm running lean" readings into the stream. Makes a difference for those removing the cat or going with straight through pipes.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2 sensors on bikes typically work in open-loop mode anyway unless they're idling after warm or in constant throttle... They'll ignore the sensor the majority of the time so trying to get it to send false readings to the ECU is mostly a waste of time.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:23 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'm currently chasing down an apparent fuelling issue on my bike. I rode 150 odd miles in standard trim and the next time a similar distance with an O2 sensor eliminator. The fuel consumption was practically identical either way, so whatever the O2 sensor is doing, it ain't much.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pushed it home Laughing

Had a storming day, bombed it round to the Mucky Duck and home again, but literally as I came up the sliproad for my home ... it cut out on me and would not restart again. Luckily only four blocks to push it.

I reckon its an electrical/ignition problem. Thinking Shifty
Pfft it was good while it lasted Rolling Eyes LOL

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 10 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
...but with Euro 5 being stricter with the anti tamper and no remaps being available at the mo, the best you can get so far is the Fuel-X, which drops "I'm running lean" readings into the stream. Makes a difference for those removing the cat or going with straight through pipes.

Oh jeez, well I missed a meeting: just reading up on what the Euro5 changes entail. It's not so much security more bleating. i.e. Engine management light comes on for "unexpected readings" not the previous "this sensor is dead" of Euro4 and older. So the usual de-cat and air box mods aren't going to fly Crying or Very sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the fucker up, the wanker, LOL
A little split second of starter-button tantrum but then it started straight up.
Whereas on Sunday evening I had no back/brake light, no indicators, a weak horn and no starter button.

I had phoned the mechanic to say I would bring it back in for them to have a look at the ignition/back light, if I could get it started (otherwise they would have to pick it up again).

But then it started to rain so I thought perhaps not today Laughing

If it starts tomorrow, hopefully I can find the time to ride it over there.

I've been thinking about its history of ignition/electrical glitches and there are enough instances of "weird stuff happening" almost right from the start, for me to assume its an historical ignition thing, maybe just a bulb in the back light, not sure.
I'll let them have a look.
Electrics are not a good thing for me to start practising my own spannering.

Last edited by hellkat on 20:49 - 12 Oct 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an 80s vintage machine it's not going to be a blown rear bulb, it'll be dodgy earths all over the bike. Good luck...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a good boy today and checked the tyre pressures before heading out (conscious as I was of the Triumph fiasco.)

27psi on the front (spec 33) 33 on the back (spec 36) Shifty

Oh well, 5 mins with the foot pump.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted the leaking header gasket on my Daytona, without snapping a stud. Definitely time for a celebratory beer.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped Oberon bar end mirrors to stock mirrors, removed phone mount, removed front and rear paddock stand
bobbins, all put in a box ready for transfer to the MT10, I'm pretty sure they will all fit straight onto that. I hear we are to
expect a warm start to November, I might even get a few miles in on the new steed before I put her to bed until the spring. It
would be awesome if I could manage to do the 600 miles required to get to first service before the year is out.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rewiring a different T140 today and it's all arse-about-face - shifter's on the right, electrics are positive earth. Just waiting on an ignition switch and then I can move onto the lighting circuit.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed fabrication of a battery compartment (and painted it) for project bike.
Also made a bracket to hold the fuse box - ready to paint but it's getting dark.

https://i.ibb.co/mHvrd50/battery-box-painted-small.png

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed its MOT with the 2 advisories I knew it would get (low rear tyre tread, rear disk thickness) Much to the annoyance of another customer at the test centre, namely a grumpy prick that said my bag of shit ratbike will never pass MOT, whilst his cosmetically perfect golf GTI failed on low brake pads, low tyres all around, some bulbs out, headlamp aim out and emissions control failure.

Oh how I laughed as I rode away on my heap of scrap that cost me less to build than the repair cost to get his car to pass MOT.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received its V5 from the DVLA.
Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyno'd my zx9r c1 - it made 132

shimmed the carbs about 1/2mm and got rid of an annoying flat spot around 5-6k

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I finally received its V5 from the DVLA.
Thumbs Up

Always a relief, eh. Nobody really trusts DVLA, I reckon. You send off your forms and hope for the best.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
dyno'd my zx9r c1 - it made 132

shimmed the carbs about 1/2mm and got rid of an annoying flat spot around 5-6k

Thumbs Up

Can you explain - I have a similar flat-spot on my FZ.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:52 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard airbox? Fz's are known to be buggers for a flat spot if it doesn't have standard airbox.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I didn't do it, stock exhaust back on the Spacker now. Good job I didn't try and do it, two header nuts needed
the blowtorch treatment, two days left and the old girls gone. Managed to get away with reusing the old crush washers
too which was a bonus. Charged me 1.75 hours labour plus vat. Came in a whisker over £100. Totally worth it in my book.
Riding it home it didn't sound like my bike anymore Crying or Very sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 30 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm resolved now to keep the XSR long-term. It's small enough to hustle through city traffic yet capable of handling long trips like Cornwall.

I did the typical "de-cat" exhaust swap a while back (probably catching corroded exhaust studs and nuts at just the right time) and as I've often stated the bike is now almost musical in tone Smile I'm now onto step 2: I've posted the ECU away for a remap Shocked

I'll also be doing the typical Stage 1 air box mod (basically removing the restrictive snorkel intake.) Maybe I'll get a few more BHP, don't care. This is more about refinement - smoothing out the rough edges - mostly the throttle response.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 29 of 48