Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

your not cooking it enough. Laughing I'm get about 26-27 on mine. That said you don't buy a MT for good petrol consumption

my Audi 3L does better MPG than the MT

New model gives better MPG than the old one allegedly, it was one of the 'improvements' that Yamaha were bigging up
at launch of the new model. My 2.0 petrol Mazda also gives better MPG than my bike does. You're right tho, I didn't buy
the MT for economy. I've only just started riding the bike 'properly', it's only been out twice since it's first service and I'm
still finding my limits with it. I'm sure I'll get bolder with time but for now it just feels ridiculously fast compared to
the MT09 I had before it.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleFester wrote:

Oh and @Prawny - my CFO lent me the $$$$ to buy this originally and at a very preferential rate of 0% Very Happy She even stated the original exhausts were gopping and that I must change them at the earliest opportunity Mr. Green

Come now, you know the BCF rools.. Pics or she doesn't exist.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:00 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually yesterday but...

Filled the strumpet with electricity, rode to the office 25 miles away. Signed for a letter. Rode back.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 25 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neighbour's kid has a 125. He was out the front trying to figure out why it wouldn't start so I lent him some tools...

The poor thing has a leaking front fork seal, the exhaust system is loose at the head, the chain is the sort of orange Donald Trump would be proud of and it won't start. That's just with a cursory glance Sad Tried all the easy stuff and even donated a new spark plug. About the only thing we didn't try was pulling the injector. The old plug was dry when we pulled it IIRC so most likely fuel related. I'd speculate one of the safety cut-outs is faulty and locking out the injector.

Ran out of time though so he's sending it off to a garage.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

what tires you got on it? I killed the s22 rear in 300 miles there way to soft for road but very sticky, i got road 5`s on it now and there fine for road and last well

Bridgestone Hypersport S22's, the factory fitted tyres. The bike was zero miles brand new when I bought it. I think
I'm about 550 miles done now. 450 of those were running in (ish) miles although I wasn't particularly gentle with
the running in process. To be honest apart from eliminating the 'chicken strips' both sides they aren't showing any
real signs of wear yet, maybe on warm roads they'll wear quicker. Most of my miles have been in late Autumn so far.
Using standard 36/42 pressures.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Neighbour's kid has a 125. He was out the front trying to figure out why it wouldn't start so I lent him some tools...

The poor thing has a leaking front fork seal, the exhaust system is loose at the head, the chain is the sort of orange Donald Trump would be proud of and it won't start. That's just with a cursory glance Sad Tried all the easy stuff and even donated a new spark plug. About the only thing we didn't try was pulling the injector. The old plug was dry when we pulled it IIRC so most likely fuel related. I'd speculate one of the safety cut-outs is faulty and locking out the injector.

Ran out of time though so he's sending it off to a garage.

RIP the kids wallet

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
RIP the kids wallet

Indeed. It's his only mode of transport for work as well. It's easy to scoff at how the youth don't maintain vehicles but if I discovered a problem with my bike it's no biggie to have it on the lift for a week waiting for parts as I also have a car. The chain though, that was something else! Would be a bit rude to take a photo Smile

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
RIP the kids wallet

Indeed. It's his only mode of transport for work as well. It's easy to scoff at how the youth don't maintain vehicles but if I discovered a problem with my bike it's no biggie to have it on the lift for a week waiting for parts as I also have a car. The chain though, that was something else! Would be a bit rude to take a photo Smile

My ER6F has been sat up for months and the chain is rusted to fuck, not a problem for me though I can afford a new chain but for a young lad it could be a total defeat. Let me know how it goes for him at the garage, I don't like the idea of a lad losing his way to work, if the bike isn't a total loss I'll donate a chain.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double bubble today. Had a fiddle with the old fella's KZ1000 clutch (new plates recently) the service manual states "back off the adjuster a quarter of a turn from tight" which is a good starting point but almost half a turn the other way and getting into neutral is reasonable when cold and near impossible when warm. I've suggested keep tightening the adjuster till the clutch slips then back off a bit. Does that sound right?

And later I actually managed to work on my own bike for a change! The first pass of shaving some clearance off the new seat base was pretty good but there were a few spots where it was either rubbing on the subframe or the Givi rack so I went at it with the Dremel and sandpaper again. Next stop: paint shop Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic-cleaned various carb bits then reassembled them. Hung bike from RSJ in the garage. Next job - forks out for new seals. The moment of truth will be when the carbs go back on and I try to fire it up - if it still won't tick over, I really don't want to repeat the process so may have to pay a professional to rebuild them instead. However that requires overcoming guilt as 'er indoors has other plans for our cash and my toys are way down on the list of priorities...

If all goes well it'll be fork seals in the Speedy behind plus a new back tyre. Then trying to decide which to sell as I need a more upright bike for the gentle touring I want to do this year...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Suzuki down to Maidstone for the weekend, somewhat hooning it - due to decent weather (at long last), no more upcoming nun gigs, and my bad back being heavily medicated.

It definitely goes like shit off a shovel ... not that I went *terribly* fast down the A2/M2 or the A13, officer ... but I think it has either got a tiny leak from the tank somewhere - or its very thirsty. Possible tweaking required.

Might have to do some (non-hooning)* experimentation regarding regular mileage on a single tank Thinking and then see how things look.

But not yet! Laughing

*very very difficult not to, on this bike Wub

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
or its very thirsty.

You'd hate my bike then, it drinks even more enthusiastically than I do and it's less than 1000 miles old so I reckon
it's supposed to drink like a parched Scotsman. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:16 - 29 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walked past it and got the cycle out for a 12 mile ride.

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tensioned the chain first time. Glad to find my socket set went upto and beyond 30mm.

Covered nuts n bolts n bits n bobs in GT85 and rubbed the tank over. Clutch linkages, sidestand, rear brake pedal, suspension, chain lubed too - latter with XCP pro. Ready for yet another week of commuting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a cracked disc on the Crosrunner when I pulled the wheel off to get a tyre loose fitted.
https://i.imgur.com/DyI7AE5l.jpg

Ordered a used stub axle, pulled it, cleaned it (Properly manky), Tidied up mullered eccentric with a file, swapped the old ABS ring over to the new axle, and refitted.
https://i.imgur.com/RNclxFWl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yT3fBOgl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OfePRKbl.jpg

Added indicators to the KDX, drained gearbox and filled with ATF. The wiring needs a general tidy up, but most of it is in and ran to where it needs to go.
https://i.imgur.com/s6xguTLl.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:28 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just replace the disc?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why not just replace the disc?

It was cheaper to buy the assembly than just a disc. No idea if someone mis-priced it, or was just clearing out. Either way, it works and I'm happy.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:43 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still be happier fitting a new disc. Presumably you spent considerable time coating the chain adjuster with spray on Teflon so you don't have to strip it down using a suitably sized hammer in 3 years time?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Added indicators to the KDX, drained gearbox and filled with ATF. The wiring needs a general tidy up, but most of it is in and ran to where it needs to go.
https://i.imgur.com/s6xguTLl.jpg

That air filter looks as manky as my underpants Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved the Snarley over beside the GSX - I had parked them on either side of a car-sized space (due to me being unable to fit into the small gap because of my bad back) - not a popular move with the neighbours, leaving a gap like that in a heavily residential London street, so I moved them back together side by side again, where they belong.

But annoyingly the Snarley, having been misfiring before, is now not starting at all. I think the ignition has perished from lack of use (well over 2 months since I last tried to start it up) There seems to be plenty of juice in the battery, lights come on and horn works, but when I press the starter button it just gives a sad little cluck.

Definitely time to get the RAC on the case.
Rolling Eyes

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
That air filter looks as manky as my underpants Laughing

It's surface shite. Will take 2 mins to sort.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'd still be happier fitting a new disc. Presumably you spent considerable time coating the chain adjuster with spray on Teflon so you don't have to strip it down using a suitably sized hammer in 3 years time?

Yeah. Turns lovely now, and to be fair, was pretty decent beforehand. Obviously someone's had issues in the past, given the state of the castellations. I reckon it's been stripped and cleaned already.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 02 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd the KDX. It's fucking silly... I love it. Apart from it wanting to get on pipe at 30 with the dibble behind you. Yup, stopped on the way home from it. Was professional and fucked off swiftly after seeing the Insurance cert and Fresh MOT, which is all you can ask really, given the problems with scrotes on crossers arounf here.
https://i.imgur.com/ZAwZmKil.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 05 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
MOT'd the KDX. It's fucking silly... I love it. Apart from it wanting to get on pipe at 30 with the dibble behind you. Yup, stopped on the way home from it. Was professional and fucked off swiftly after seeing the Insurance cert and Fresh MOT, which is all you can ask really, given the problems with scrotes on crossers arounf here.
https://i.imgur.com/ZAwZmKil.jpg

What would be the highlight? The low weight, the nature of 2-strokes?

In other news: the kid next door and his 125. I'd volunteered to have a serious look over the bike this past weekend but apparently "a mate of a mate" where he works is a mechanic and offered to take a glance for free. Well! You can't turn that down. So I busied myself in the garden instead.

And the diagnosis is back: it won't start due to a total loss of compression Thinking It's not beyond the realms of possibility - the poor thing is a typical example of a mistreated 125 - but then he mentioned his boss offering to pay for the repairs and take it out of his wages. For some reason my spidey-sense is tingling Sad

If it is loss of compression then I'm guessing dropped ring, holed piston, bend or missing valves... nothing cheap! Plus the possibility of anything broken sitting at the bottom of the crank case. In a way I'm hoping they offer a fiendishly expensive repair just to get the chance to take another look at it (I have a compression tester.)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 37 of 47