Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
One interesting upshot of the virus is an extremely dramatic downturn in the number of cases of bacterial gastroenteritis and similar. Now, it's true that this will be partly (largely?) down to the huge drop in restaurant trade, etc. - but it's also due to massively increased use of hand sanitizer across the population. Cryptosporidium, norovirus and salmonella are on the extinction list! Of course, I'm sure they'd bounce right back in the right circumstances. That said, a lot of the newly acquired hygiene habits courtesy of Covid will continue long into the future, I think. Some reckon that the fall in deaths from food poisoning are quite significant, and a serious off-set to those of Covid. Not sure how much substance there is to that speculation though.

No one's talking about those specific nasties over here, they are however thinking that several variants of the flu have died off.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:37 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No deaths attributed to flu last winter in the UK.

Mostly down to lockdown, I suspect. This shows just how virilent COVID is compared to flu because it was killing loads of people despite lockdown.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
No deaths attributed to flu last winter in the UK.

Mostly down to lockdown, I suspect. This shows just how virilent COVID is compared to flu because it was killing loads of people despite lockdown.

So if lockdown was preventing the spread of flu, why couldn't it prevent the spread of Covid?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Covid was already active well before traditional flu season
2. don't think Flu is quite as transmissible.
3. By the time Flu season was a thing, we were well into lockdown and being 'clean' in all the places the Flu might reside.

That's my take anyway.

What will be interesting is this next winter as we've got no old flu to base this years vaccine on and everyone will be out and about and prime for catching it.

Will be playing potluck with whatever flu jab is out vs do i need to mingle until next year Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:45 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I also think we all remember how those 'emergency hospitals', or whatever they were called - Nightingale hospitals? - were never used.

That's a good thing though and the point of building the Nightingale hospitals might have been to encourage people to take the pandemic seriously.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:09 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or did stopping people from all over the world crowding together in airports stop the flu spreading about?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Or did stopping people from all over the world crowding together in airports stop the flu spreading about?

Aye, a bit like putting extra lifeboats on the Titanic today...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I also think we all remember how those 'emergency hospitals', or whatever they were called - Nightingale hospitals? - were never used.

That's a good thing though and the point of building the Nightingale hospitals might have been to encourage people to take the pandemic seriously.

Oh, I think it was right to have them ready in case - no one knew at the time just how bad it might get, and obviously it's good that they weren't needed in the end.

As to staffing them, it might have been possible to bring in military medical personnel to help if they had been needed.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covid19 was more successful at invading human cells than the humble killer influenza.

Hand washing, social distancing and lock-down probably helped too.

We were still well able to contract and pass on the usual shite, coughs and colds though.

So we need to work on the model more. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Covid19 was more successful at invading human cells than the humble killer influenza.

Some say it was designed to.

Pass the popcorn Twisted Evil

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The one in London was used but never exceeded 50 patients.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

Someone's bored... Wink Laughing

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

There can't be any smoke without a fire.

Try as they might, they cannot keep the lid on this one.

I can handle a cold war being fought out in the ego's of our politicians, but one being fought with virii that can target specific demographics is beyond scary.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ithey would have been staffed by military.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
There can't be any smoke without a fire.

And there can't be conspiracy theories without retards like you. Rolling Eyes

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estimated death rate for Covid in the range of 0.002% death rate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

So if 150,000 people have died from/with it, then estimated infections would have to be in the order of 50 million people. 49.85M people who have had Covid-19 and built up antibodies, 0.15M died (sadly). Basically 74% of the population carrying antibodies.

Even accounting for statistical errors, there's still a large proportion of people who didn't know they had it, and a load more who had it and recovered. All of them now carrying an immune response, all fought and won naturally with the most advanced disease fighting system in the universe.

So how much impact are these vaccines really having, and can Hat Mancock really steal the credit for winning the war against a disease, which had at least a year in the wild unencumbered, triggering immuno-responses in a vast section of the populace?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for not saying, “herd immunity.” Although...
Confused

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

So if 150,000 people have died from/with it, then estimated infections would have to be in the order of 50 million people. 49.85M people who have had Covid-19 and built up antibodies, 0.15M died (sadly). Basically 74% of the population carrying antibodies.

Even accounting for statistical errors, there's still a large proportion of people who didn't know they had it, and a load more who had it and recovered. All of them now carrying an immune response, all fought and won naturally with the most advanced disease fighting system in the universe.

So how much impact are these vaccines really having, and can Hat Mancock really steal the credit for winning the war against a disease, which had at least a year in the wild unencumbered, triggering immuno-responses in a vast section of the populace?

I thought that there was something amiss with the figures in the link, so checked against Worldometers which matched. Which begs the question, what the fuck just happened in Peru? Their figures suggest that 1:180 of the population have karked it from Covid???

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't post statistical info about COVID.

I will take from that evidence anything and all that suits my agenda.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Don't post statistical info about COVID.

I will take from that evidence anything and all that suits my agenda

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:32 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say. If I was 16, I would refuse to have the vaccine. Licenced or not.

On the basis that the vaccine would be more likely to cause me harm than the virus.

Also on the basis that as a 16 year old, I was considerably more selfish than I am today so it is highly unlikely I'd have been willing to expose myself to that vaccine in order to protect other people who couldn't be bothered having the vaccine themselves or to allow leather-skinned middle aged southerners to have a fortnight in Torremelinos.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think now that we have very effective vaccines, and considering the huge take-up so far (and still rising), it has become a matter of personal choice. You can be protected, so you've no reason to complain if others choose not to be.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Can I just say. If I was 16, I would refuse to have the vaccine. Licenced or not.

On the basis that the vaccine would be more likely to cause me harm than the virus.

At what age would you decide, ok now’s the time? And on what evidence?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

At what age would you decide, ok now’s the time? And on what evidence?

My answer to that is, when the risk appears to be that it would be almost inevitable that I'd contract the disease. I don't feel that's the case for me. But that could depend on other things: am I going to be regularly in contact with lots of other people? If I got a job in a hospital for e.g., I'd most likely have it. But even then, with the way things are going, I'd be becoming less concerned, assuming the trend in reduction of the prevalence continues.

All I'll add to that is, thank God (turn of phrase, keep your knickers on) we've nearly got this thing behind us now Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it’s too late, you say? OK.
Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22