Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Coronavirus Reply with quote

Split from original thread which is located here:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=329860

Uh-oh. Here we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vISrmmfiew
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What did you honestly expect?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Islander wrote:

The vaccine is saving lives, preventing transmission and also mitigating the serious illness that comes with covid for some people.

So when the vaccine has been administered to the majority of the population, I don't expect further government mandated lockdowns and restrictions. Except somehow, I do expect that Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people expect, if there's a third wave, to have the affected area locked down and everyone else can get on with their lives.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I think people expect, if there's a third wave, to have the affected area locked down and everyone else can get on with their lives.

And to a certain extent that statement sums up the whole problem with the UK and corona virus all the way through the pandemic.

If the public don't go along with whatever the government decide, they might as well not do it as a large percentage won't take a blind bit of notice.

I know lot's of people who have had their jabs, seen the death toll fall and think it's all over. It may well be, it may not be, but heaven help the government if they try a reintroduce lockdown. Look what happened in Bolton with the indian variant. The mayor basically said don't introduce lockdown, we won't put up with it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Islander wrote:

The vaccine is saving lives, preventing transmission and also mitigating the serious illness that comes with covid for some people.

Yes? That statement still applies for vaccinated people.

chickenstrip wrote:
So when the vaccine has been administered to the majority of the population, I don't expect further government mandated lockdowns and restrictions. Except somehow, I do expect that Rolling Eyes

The governments wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't mandate lockdowns where it's necessary.

As for the majority of the population being vaccinated, current figures to the 1st June for the entire UK population show:

First dose total 39,585,665

Second dose total 26,073,284

The UK population is approximately 68 million so that's about 58% received their first dose and about 38% received both doses.

That's excellent progress but somewhat less than a majority.

If you want no further government mandated lockdowns then you'd better hope that the general public act sensibly. I'd say good luck with that going on past performance. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

If you want no further government mandated lockdowns then you'd better hope that the general public act sensibly. I'd say good luck with that going on past performance. Laughing

Depends on what you mean by sensibly, and also what you mean by the general public. Generally speaking, the public have followed government guidelines - it is only a minority who haven't.

Basically, what this means is lockdowns and restrictions mandated by government are now a permanent feature of life in the UK, since it is not possible to entirely eradicate Covid.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for my 2nd AZ jab tonight. Anyone on here had their 2nd and able to report on whether they felt rough afterwards?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Going for my 2nd AZ jab tonight. Anyone on here had their 2nd and able to report on whether they felt rough afterwards?

I had mine a few weeks ago. Side effects were similar to the first dose (it wiped me out for a few days) along with diarrhoea which I didn't have the first time round. Worth it. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Depends on what you mean by sensibly, and also what you mean by the general public. Generally speaking, the public have followed government guidelines - it is only a minority who haven't.

Basically, what this means is lockdowns and restrictions mandated by government are now a permanent feature of life in the UK, since it is not possible to entirely eradicate Covid.

Minority or not, it affects the overall recovery - the manky bastards.

Also, I don't think it means that at all. They're a feature of life for the immediate future for sure but by no means permanent.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that my major concern is that the authorities are still basing their reactions on number of cases, rather than the actual effects of the disease, i.e. deaths and serious illness prevalence. And also, I think we've got to get away from this tendency to keep thinking "what if...?" thoughts and basing policy on that, especially now that vaccinations are rendering the disease much less serious for the vast majority of people.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Wifie had almost zero effects with her second AZ jab, except to tell me repeatedly she was feeling ok but if I could make her a cuppa it would help her get over it. Rolling Eyes

Does talking count?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I think that my major concern is that the authorities are still basing their reactions on number of cases, rather than the actual effects of the disease, i.e. deaths and serious illness prevalence. And also, I think we've got to get away from this tendency to keep thinking "what if...?" thoughts and basing policy on that, especially now that vaccinations are rendering the disease much less serious for the vast majority of people.

Have you considered that the low impact of the disease may well be down to the number of lockdowns across the globe?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Previously the number of hospital admissions and deaths is a couple of weeks behind the increase in cases so it would almost be reckless to not pay attention to the number of cases.
Quote:

Why is it not possible?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:44 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

No-one
likes wearing one. Those of us with functioning brain cells understand the need and don't start spewing half-baked conspiracy theories based on wildly misunderstood and out of context soundbites. The bit that would be funny if it wasn't sad is it's the knuckle dragging spunktrumpets that freeak out about "human rights" are the ones dragging this out.

That's more or less what you said before.
How is some gary growler with his ill fitted face rag being a total hypocrite and danger to the public, helping at this stage?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:53 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

I spotted at least three people on my flight wearing bandannas.

At least half a dozen people did not wear their mask in flight.

Quite a few derps went for the 'under the nose' style wearing. Why not just grow a pair and take the bloody things off?

Flight staff didn't give a shit.

Which shows that it's peoples responsibility to take care of themselves and the governments actions should have been to support that instead of harmful actions they took instead.

Have airplanes been modified to deal with this.Have they upgraded the air conditioning,filtering and sterilisation systems or is this more security theatre.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
That's more or less what you said before.

Because it was accurate then and still is now. Twunts like you are dragging this out, and then bitching about it dragging out.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Why is it not possible?

Do you know of a similar virus that has been actively eradicated in the past?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:47 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallpox?

Measles? Not worldwide but it was gone from first world countries until it started making a bit of a comeback.

There'll be others as well.

What prevents viruses from being eradicated?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Have you considered that the low impact of the disease may well be down to the number of lockdowns across the globe?

I think in the early stages, they were the right thing to do. I also think that international travel still needs to be restricted. But I think that where we are now with the vaccine program in the UK, and since we're in the summer where we saw a marked fall-off of cases last year, domestically lockdowns are not needed now.

The authorities should continue to promote good hygiene practice, and continue to encourage awareness that symptoms should be taken seriously by those affected, just as people ought to with flu.

You cannot indefinitely continue to punish everyone for the infractions of a few, disease or no disease. It just isn't going to be accepted forever. If you have the public on your side, you can more easily ask them to follow sensible guidelines, but if the public see promises and predictions come to nothing time after time, they will be lost, and no amount of rules and regulations will get you anywhere. That is as much fact as the disease itself.

I personally continue to wear a face covering in the supermarket (though I doubt it serves much purpose in my local one, which is rarely that busy), and use the hand sanitiser provided. So before anyone jumps on me saying I'm prolonging things, I have not broken any rules since this thing began. How about you?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Smallpox?

Measles? Not worldwide but it was gone from first world countries until it started making a bit of a comeback.

Are the examples you give similar to Covid, or even flu?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

I think in the early stages, they were the right thing to do. I also think that international travel still needs to be restricted. But I think that where we are now with the vaccine program in the UK, and since we're in the summer where we saw a marked fall-off of cases last year, domestically lockdowns are not needed now.

The authorities should continue to promote good hygiene practice, and continue to encourage awareness that symptoms should be taken seriously by those affected, just as people ought to with flu.

You cannot indefinitely continue to punish everyone for the infractions of a few, disease or no disease. It just isn't going to be accepted forever. If you have the public on your side, you can more easily ask them to follow sensible guidelines, but if the public see promises and predictions come to nothing time after time, they will be lost, and no amount of rules and regulations will get you anywhere. That is as much fact as the disease itself.

I personally continue to wear a face covering in the supermarket (though I doubt it serves much purpose in my local one, which is rarely that busy), and use the hand sanitiser provided. So before anyone jumps on me saying I'm prolonging things, I have not broken any rules since this thing began. How about you?

Nothing to argue with there!!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Previously the number of hospital admissions and deaths is a couple of weeks behind the increase in cases so it would almost be reckless to not pay attention to the number of cases.

I don't care how many cases there are. I'm more interested in the numbers of deaths and serious illness. If it is no worse than flu, no reason to lockdown again. Or else, how could we have been so negligent for so long over flu and other causes of death and transmissible illnesses?
I am not convinced that deaths and serious illness from Covid is still at a level that requires drastic general measures. You do think so? Fine, show me why.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Smallpox?

The only viruses we've successfully eradicated are smallpox (both Variola minor and Variola major) and rinderpest (thought to be the progenitor of the measles virus).

We were doing well with measles until a certain cunt called Wakefield kicked off the MMR conspiracy bollocks.

It takes enormous effort and a concerted worldwide vaccination campaign - this would be almost impossible to do now thanks to the moron factor. Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:58 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't care how many cases there are. I'm more interested in the numbers of deaths and serious illness.

Are they not directly related?

chickenstrip wrote:
If it is no worse than flu

That's a matter of opinion.

chickenstrip wrote:
no reason to lockdown again

That is and always has been the objective

chickenstrip wrote:
I am not convinced that deaths and serious illness from Covid is still at a level that requires drastic general measures. You do think so? Fine, show me why.

I agree that we're pretty much at the point where restrictions can be removed, the Indian strain complicates things but at the moment, that's mostly in the NW and in London
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22