Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The time has come for the small number of highly vulnerable to take steps to protect themselves.

No. Everybody else must halt their lives to protect us, indefinitely.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:01 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
90% of the UK adult population have had a vaccine.

Hand

Adult population of the UK is ~ 60 million.

46,295,853 first doses of the vaccine have been given to people. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

So that's 77 point something percent of the UK adult population. Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:06 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Now, are you going for that drive or aren't you? It'd be a shame to waste such a beautiful evening while you have that option Smile

25 degrees and up - convertible with wife.
25 degrees and below - bike and on my own.

It's not quite Northumberland but once you get past 7pm the roads quieten right down and the scenery is pretty enough.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
90% of the UK adult population have had a vaccine.

Hand

46,295,853 first doses of the vaccine have been given to people. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

I’d got this from the same website (87.9%);

Quote:
Total percentage of people aged 18 and over who have received a COVID-19 vaccination,

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations#card-latest_reported_vaccination_uptake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled a stool up to the bar in my favourite watering hole at exactly 00.01 and threw my (really rather pointless)
mask straight into the bin. Then enjoyed a couple of superb Moscow Mules, which were the only medicine I needed
and a nice reward for my awesome immune system which has faultlessly done the job evolution created it for.
Looking forward to going back when the my buddy Alex the DJ is in and the dancefloor is open. Off to the Co-op to grab
some groceries for the first time in ages without looking like I'm trying to rob the place. I'm certain many will want to
continue wearing theirs, this whole thing has cost me a few friends who I thought were sane and rational people. A
shame yes, but also a necessity as I grew quite tired of being hectored by people who felt it was their place to tell
me what I should and shouldn't do. I expect they're still hiding behind a sofa somewhere. My complete boycott and
cessation of funding the shameless BBC will most certainly be continuing though. They should be entirely
ashamed of their two year (and no doubt ongoing) campaign of fearmongering. It has consistently surprised me
just how many people believe every single word to come out of the idiot box from the headless chickens that are
allegedly running the country (into the ground). A "news" free life is a much happier one. I got 99 problems but a virus ain't one.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Ste wrote:

I’d got this from the same website (87.9%);

Quote:
Total percentage of people aged 18 and over who have received a COVID-19 vaccination,

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations#card-latest_reported_vaccination_uptake

87% of the adult population have received a single dose. 66% of the adult population are fully vaccinated.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet as the vaccine, which we are told reduces transmission, is taken up by more people, cases continue to rise. Something not quite right with this picture.
Not that it matters, since the vaccine does seem to have massively reduced the number of deaths and hospitalisations, which is the main thing. No point in being concerned about a bug that isn't going to do you any harm. I think now is a very good time to let it have its way, assuming no particularly nasty mutations appear that the vaccines don't protect against.

Flu lockdown in 3...2...1... Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS Very Happy

Vaccine does not prevent. It lessens the effect, for 'most' ( insert % of choice here) people.

It does not stop you getting it and it does not stop you carrying / transmitting it.

In theory it should cut down hospitalised patients but case numbers are going to go through the roof.

And then you have the isolation nightmare where X % of the country is sat on their arse at home again.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander told me the vaccine reduces transmission, and he has a telescope.

UncleBFester wrote:
In theory it should cut down hospitalised patients but case numbers are going to go through the roof.

Is there a difference between case numbers and hospitalisations and deaths?

Also, one more question on masks. Are you wearing them to prevent catching the virus, or to prevent others catching it from you? Your previous posts seem to suggest there is a little confusion here.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to clear up what I mean by masks...

"You may choose to wear a mask" and "it's up to individual companies to decide whether customers need masks" comes with no qualification and so punter will be let in wearing pretty much anything that looks like a mask Sad We might therefore assume such a mask will only cut down on large droplets from coughs where someone is infected and symptomatic but otherwise ornamental.

Something like an N95 medical mask if fitted correctly and regularly changed might be a great help protecting everyone around you from your asymptomatic infection but won't protect the user as the eyes are still exposed.

Protection for the user would need this sort of thing:

https://www.dhresource.com/albu_502930752_00/1.0x0.jpg

tl;dr "From Monday ornamental masks are no longer required..."

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
punter will be let in wearing pretty much anything that looks like a mask

I have been using a thin, and almost certainly totally ineffective bike neck tube pulled up over my face throughout this pandemic (I can't afford to be replacing masks every time I go out*). The only place I have been close to others is in the supermarket, which we are told is one of the worst places for spread of the virus. I have been there once or twice a week for the whole duration of this pandemic. Added to this, I have no spleen, which they tell me means I am in a vulnerable category. There is no way I can possibly have survived Laughing

*If anywhere still wants people to continue wearing masks, they should be providing them for free.
If the government wants people to continue wearing masks, they should provide them for free.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Also, one more question on masks. Are you wearing them to prevent catching the virus, or to prevent others catching it from you? Your previous posts seem to suggest there is a little confusion here.

To your first point i neither know nor care - that info is above my paygrade and interest.

To the latter - when i have to spend time indoors ( like at my recent 3 hour visit for an Eye appointment) i'll wear a multilayer one because it gives me peace of mind that I've at least something between me and the other filthy mouth breathers. It costs me absolutely no personal freedoms to do this, whether it's seen as for my benefit or someone elses is none of my concern and no one elses problem.

The only reason you see confusion is because you insist on looking for it. Probably because being stuck at home with not enough coins has turned you into an anal nit picking cnut.

Are you sure you haven't become Tef'd/Borg'd?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Are you sure you haven't become Tef'd/Bored?

FTFY Wink Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I think I need to clear up what I mean by masks...

Cloth masks are more effective than no mask - especially the multi-layered variety. Surgical masks are undoubtedly better. An FPP2/3 (N95 in 'Murcan money) mask would protect you even better but unless it's the type that doesn't have an exhaust valve, it's useless for the primary purpose of face mask use - i.e. protecting others.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

To your first point i neither know nor care - that info is above my paygrade and interest.

Laughing

Quote:
To the latter - when i have to spend time indoors ( like at my recent 3 hour visit for an Eye appointment) i'll wear a multilayer one because it gives me peace of mind that I've at least something between me and the other filthy mouth breathers. It costs me absolutely no personal freedoms to do this, whether it's seen as for my benefit or someone elses is none of my concern and no one elses problem.

The only reason you see confusion is because you insist on looking for it. Probably because being stuck at home with not enough coins has turned you into an anal nit picking cnut.

Are you sure you haven't become Tef'd/Borg'd?

I'm not confused. I am certain that the masks the vast majority of people are wearing, and the way they treat wearing them is having about zero effect in protecting anyone from Covid. I think general good hygiene is sufficient.

UBF, you have to understand that I respect your choice to wear a mask, and wouldn't insist that you don't. I just don't think they're anything like as effective as you do, and ask that others don't insist that I do wear one. I find face coverings to be very uncomfortable in this hot weather, and I have a health issue to do with this as it is that I don't want to exacerbate. Wasn't an issue for me in the winter.

Btw, if you're trying to protect yourself against others, you need goggles too, since the virus is transmissible through the eyes.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Vaccines do indeed reduce transmission. The current evidence suggests something around 50% which is better than a kick in the nads. Unless that's your sort of thing of course... Razz Laughing

Also, using a neck tube is better than nothing. Doubling it up is better still...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I'm not confused. I am certain that the masks the vast majority of people are wearing, and the way they treat wearing them is having about zero effect in protecting anyone from Covid. I think general good hygiene is sufficient.

That's a strong statement. Got any evidence to back it up?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Evidence that I'm certain? Yes, I consulted myself and...yep, I'm certain! Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Vaccines do indeed reduce transmission.

UBF says they don't.
And if they do, why are cases still on the rise?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite bored of the whole thing to be honest.

Masks might filter some stuff out / Not wearing a mask will not.
Vaccination cuts down the risk of infection / not being vaccinated will not.
Good hygiene might cut down the risk of infection / bad hygiene will not.

Seriousness of infection seems to be down to length and strength of exposure. You can moderate this by choice of environment amongst other things - including vaccination, mask wearing and good hygiene whilst in said environment.

I'm fine with what I'm prepared to do and where and in what circumstances. It doesn't matter to me what holes you think you can magic into my opinion - your approach does not and will not work for me and mine will not work for you.

People need to spend a little more time thinking about this instead of bleating on about their lack of freedom or mask wearing / anti vaxxing.

What are YOU prepared to do to cut down the risk of infection whilst going about whatever YOUR daily business is.

If that's clean hands and a buff then great and if you manage to avoid infection and it never touches you in any degree you ever notice then even better. Perhaps you hope that by the time you do get exposed, you'll have had enough minor exposure to build up some natural immunity - i know not enough about Biology to know whether that is possible or not.

When i start a new job in a few weeks time back in an Office (been working from home since last March) I'll be applying common sense to what I do there too. And if after all of that I get it in spite of being careful then I'll be happy knowing I did whatever I could to lessen whatever the effect is.

I think as a nation we'll be a lot happier when most of us have had it, shaken it off and not turned it into long Covid. We are nowhere near that conclusion yet. Until we reach that point my opinion on what I need to do will not change.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big post for someone who's bored with the whole thing! Laughing

This forum is a distraction for me, as I have far worse problems than some silly little bug to deal with and don't want to be thinking about them all the time - something that will probably confuse you, as you will no doubt consider death to be the worst thing that can happen to anyone.

But I highly recommend considering your own mortality in some depth. It is very good for your perspective. This doesn't mean you have to be nihilistic, but it helps you to maintain some kind of equilibrium. I have been forced to consider it on more than one occasion, and now do purely from a philosophical point of view quite a bit. It's actually quite a fascinating topic when you get into all the aspects of it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Vaccines do indeed reduce transmission.

UBF says they don't.
And if they do, why are cases still on the rise?

UBF is wrong about that.

Because the delta variant is highly transmissible, because we only have 66% of the adult population fully vaccinated (that's not a pop at the vaccination services that really have done a magnificent job), because the vaccine is around 50% effective at preventing transmission as I said before...

Oh and because people are numpties. Razz

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Evidence that I'm certain? Yes, I consulted myself and...yep, I'm certain! Wink

Oh, in that case... Razz

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

T1 Diabetic for 30+ years. Very much aware of and comfortable with my mortality.

@Islander maybe worth bringing Vaccine escape into the mix but i think that might hurt folks heads.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander, you moved to a remote location because you couldn't stand to be surrounded by people. You say people are numpties, UBF calls everyone cnuts, and then you both expect people to pay you any serious attention? Who's the numpty? Wink

I'll bet you're still wondering how Brexit happened; so much for an "elite" Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22