Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki ER6-F (First big bike CONFIRMED)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying out more than a few bikes I can confirm that the CB650R or CBR650R would be great first bikes. My mate had the CBR650R and it was actually fantastic and all the bike you'd ever need. I quite fancy the CB1000R Black series. I had a 2016 cbr650F from new and that was a great bike also.

Great bang for the buck. I like CBR's

Go all out and spoil yourself. You desereve it Very Happy

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/20210512_185728.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:23 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
After trying out more than a few bikes I can confirm that the CB650R or CBR650R would be great first bikes. My mate had the CBR650R and it was actually fantastic and all the bike you'd ever need. I quite fancy the CB1000R Black series. I had a 2016 cbr650F from new and that was a great bike also.

Great bang for the buck. I like CBR's

Go all out and spoil yourself. You desereve it Very Happy

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/20210512_185728.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Ewe Deser-eve it.

Razz

Android-istis?
Very Happy

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that line up was GSXR's you'd be God.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Buy something private for £1500
2) Ride it
3) Later on, sell it for £1500 and buy something else

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Where's A100man? He's had the "I told you so" hanging over me the entire time Laughing

Here I am.. I had a house guest over for some of the weekend.. Cool

You mean 'you'll never keep the Zontes for 3 years' ?

Well, cough, 'I told you so'. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Here I am.. I had a house guest over for some of the weekend.. Cool

You mean 'you'll never keep the Zontes for 3 years' ?

Well, cough, 'I told you so'. Wink

Embarassed

Reminds me of how cyclic things are:

1. The old-hats/ been-there-done-that riders tell you how it is,
2. You think you're different and ignore it like a petulant teenager,
3. What was explained in (1) happens anyway.

Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:59 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that a good rider can ride an ER6 on the road more quickly than 95% of people could ride a fireblade (as has been painfully demonstrated to quite a few members of my bike club by our resident cheeky wee bastard racer).

So you don't actually need a fireblade, you just need and ER6 and lots of practice.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234115404341?hash=item36825d9235:g:hQgAAOSwsYFhBxVe

Very Happy

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

So you don't actually need a fireblade, you just need and ER6 and lots of practice.

ER6 was the first bike I've ridden for a long time on the road at WOT for long periods Cool Good fun! You can't really do that with a Fireblade...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifie loved her ER6-N. I found it a bit bland but as middleweight twins go it was a perfect first large bike.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Mate of mine has just sold his ER6F for a Sprint GT, so I got him to give me a go on his ER before he got shot of it.

It was his first bike, and pretty much exactly what you'd want for that. Standard middleweight. Friendly, comfy, light controls, that sort of thing. But what I was really surprised about was how good it was when you started pushing it. Chuckable, decent feedback (especially considering the sit up and beg riding position), willing engine (though not huge power obviously), suspension didn't feel out of it's depth. It actually felt at its best being given a thrashing, so I can totally see how a good rider could embarrass guys on much shinier tackle.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test rode and subsequently bought the bike. Got some money knocked off, a full service chucked in and an MOT. I fully understand that I have still overpaid over private sale price but honestly after riding it I just wanted it.

Already bought a gear indicator (PZRacing GearTronic Zero) and paddock stand bobbins (R&G Racing M10 - titanium) which should be arriving together tomorrow.

Think I am going to replace the handle-bar straight away with an adjustable one - is that even possible? I just want to be able to get some adjustable contact points - bar and rear set and take the time to dial it in to what I like most.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done - I like the attitude, just get it done and get on with it Thumbs Up

Are we talking about that ER6? If so, it's a solid handlebar so you've got a bit of adjustment just by undoing the clamps and rotating the bars around slightly. Of course this does affect the angle of the clutch / brake levers, which is a problem I had when I first bought my R Nine T and found that the previous owner had decided to move the bars for that maximum cripple hook poser look Rolling Eyes Brake lever pointing down at the floor Laughing.

You could fit risers if you wanted to, but I doubt you'll be needing them given your stature.

If not there's bound to be some flat bars by the likes of Renthal that will work, but it depends on what you're looking to achieve really. Some form of easy adjustment doesn't exist, as far as I know, outside of rotating the bar around the clamp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Well done - I like the attitude, just get it done and get on with it Thumbs Up

Are we talking about that ER6? If so, it's a solid handlebar so you've got a bit of adjustment just by undoing the clamps and rotating the bars around slightly. Of course this does affect the angle of the clutch / brake levers, which is a problem I had when I first bought my R Nine T and found that the previous owner had decided to move the bars for that maximum cripple hook poser look Rolling Eyes Brake lever pointing down at the floor Laughing.

You could fit risers if you wanted to, but I doubt you'll be needing them given your stature.

If not there's bound to be some flat bars by the likes of Renthal that will work, but it depends on what you're looking to achieve really. Some form of easy adjustment doesn't exist, as far as I know, outside of rotating the bar around the clamp.

Yeah mate that was the attitude I took, rode the bike (ER6-F) for 30 mins, loved it and just thought no more fucking about just get back haggle and close the deal and get on with it. I know Black Widow exhausts are cheap but the little 200mm BW can the bike has on it sounds absolutely brutal and pops are nice on deceleration. It still has its' baffle screwed in too!

I actually liked the angling of the levers but I just wished that the bar itself was a little higher.

I also really want to try and find rear sets that lower the foot pegs about an inch and move them backwards around an inch too that's all I am really looking for.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risers for the bars should solve that first issue.

Adjustable rearsets are expensive so perhaps look for a set second hand, or just leave it alone and get used to it, do some miles and see how you feel first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Risers for the bars should solve that first issue.

Adjustable rearsets are expensive so perhaps look for a set second hand, or just leave it alone and get used to it, do some miles and see how you feel first.

Good advice mate thanks, I will get some miles on it and see how I feel. Going to chuck the 39L Oxford top box that's on it in the shed and get the 52L one to click on and off it as needed since I don't need a top box everyday.

Anyone know of any other sensible mods to make other than the gear indicator (which I already bought, just waiting on it turning up to install it).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:07 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy lowered footpegs. A company called vario does them. Not cheap but cheaper than rearsets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ER-6N-Vario-30mm-Adjustable-Front-Footrests-Foot-Peg-Lowering-2013-2017-/224466041437

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You can buy lowered footpegs. A company called vario does them. Not cheap but cheaper than rearsets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ER-6N-Vario-30mm-Adjustable-Front-Footrests-Foot-Peg-Lowering-2013-2017-/224466041437

Thanks mate, worth a bookmark and possible future punt. At £70 it's way cheaper than a full rear set Mr. Green

EDIT: Also bit the bullet and bought a quadlock, all in cost me £105... probably worth it though.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
BW can the bike has on it sounds absolutely brutal and pops are nice on deceleration. It still has its' baffle screwed in too!

Bloody hooligan.. Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:29 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change the bars, factor in throttle/clutch cables and possibly brake lines...

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffle is removable for a reason Razz

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearsets, even adjustable ones are generally going to move the pegs (and controls) back and up, they also use fixed pegs so when you drop the bike they can snap. The things Stinkwheel listed are probably more sensible, though from the look of them you may want to keep in mind the stretch to the gear and brake will also increase.

For ref this is an SES adjustable rearset in it's lowest position, it's at least an inch higher than the stock pegs for that bike
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51332616799_acc0349351_c.jpg

TBH I'd leave it all as is, at least until you've done enough miles to decide if it's a keeper. You won't get any money back on fancy bits when you sell it on.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Baffle is removable for a reason Razz

To be completely honest the bike sounded tasty with the baffle in, I'll pop it out when I pick the bike up though and have a quick blast through the Clyde Tunnel Laughing

Also in reply to WR, I think I'll stick to you and A100's suggestions and just live with it as it is right now.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and ear plugs - if you haven't already. Now you can do a speed / make a noise that would benefit from them.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bike now, picked it up at lunchtime, fucking love it. Will put pics up in the appropriate section when it's not pissing down and I get a chance to take some.

EDIT: Gave it a tiny bit of a hoon and there's a huge difference between wind blast at 66mph on a 125cc and wind blast at 90mph on this thing. Jesus. Might have to get the taller touring screen.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5