Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki ER6-F (First big bike CONFIRMED)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

EDIT: Gave it a tiny bit of a hoon and there's a huge difference between wind blast at 66mph on a 125cc and wind blast at 90mph on this thing. Jesus. Might have to get the taller touring screen.

Yeah, maths sucks huh? Drag increases with speed squared. Double the speed, four times the aerodynamic drag.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. Really glad you're pleased with it. Thumbs Up

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:34 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Bike, enjoy and be careful
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:29 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choice, the reviews are really good for the Kawasaki Very Happy

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% I am going to buy a GoPro and helmet mount it. Was on the bike using the motorway into work for the first time on it and got to where the M73 overpasses the M74 and I was in the fast lane doing around about 80 keeping up with the flow of traffic, had cars infront and behind me.

The view on the approach to the location:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8341061,-4.1052993,3a,75y,289.65h,85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP2UNIbBatIdub05pO0ZONg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There was a driver in the slow lane and instead of slowing down and allowing the joining vehicles coming down from the M73 and merging onto the M74, he just sided right into my lane and ran me off the road here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8349505,-4.1089999,3a,75y,279.62h,89.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUFOZPrKejRL6yCZWpIiPzA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I got pushed over the white rumble line and honestly thought this was fucking it as I was on that gravely bit that's over the white line and between the crash barrier and it was dodgy as fuck: bumpy and sodden as it was raining hard as fuck this morning.

Not ashamed to admit that if it wasn't for the fact I laid a monster log before I set-off: I would have 100% shit my knickers.

I got back over the white line, beeped the wimpy horn on the ER6, they put their hazards on to apologise as if that's all that's fucking required to make things right in the world after putting me in danger and running me off the road.

Maybe, I am over-reacting but I thought "oh fuck I'm done".

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will learn to spot these idiots so you are not in the way when they make a dumbfcuk move.

Remember there is no use at all in being dead right.

With a 125 your only option was staying out of the way. With more power you have the option of staying out of the way, being IN the way or getting out of the way using power instead of just brakes.

It will take a while to recalibrate yourself to this.

Oh and absorb this - https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress.com/2018/03/27/smidsy-looked-but-skipped-over/

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop spending money on it before you've even started Laughing Ride the thing for a bit - you get used to wind blast.

As for idiots, well there's plenty of them so it pays not to get too upset. Learn from your own shortcomings in the incident as best you can and move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
With a 125 your only option was staying out of the way. With more power you have the option of staying out of the way, being IN the way or getting out of the way using power instead of just brakes.

It will take a while to recalibrate yourself to this.

Oh and absorb this - https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress.com/2018/03/27/smidsy-looked-but-skipped-over/

That article was actually seriously interesting, I knew a little bit about that because of the video FortNine did on YouTube but that was a brilliant read thanks!

arry wrote:
Stop spending money on it before you've even started

OK Crying or Very sad

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpU7P1BVgAA7VrY.jpg

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these guys for cams https://sjcam.com/ I currently use an SJ6 Legend and prior to that had a few of their earlier models. Their current flagship SJ10 Pro is a fair chunk cheaper than the Hero 8 or 9.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:30 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do a lot of motorway and inner-city commuting back in the day - the things I learned were:

You have to ride defensively and always anticipate the worst case scenario 100% of the time - when you are on the motorway automatically assume every car you pass is oblivious to your existence - assume automatically that they are going to move into your lane and knock you off - then your reflexes are primed to take the initiative - whcih means either accelerating out of the danger zone or not entering it in the first place.

Same goes for any other road - look ahead, read the situation, anticipate and prepare.

This does not mean your ride will be slow and boring - on the contrary - the more adept and experienced you get at reading traffic the faster and safer you will be getting through it - plus as you get faster and more confident/relaxed you will start having more fun - I picked some of this up from following London motorcycle couriers back in the day - the skill, speed and dexterity these guys displayed getting through serious traffic was really something.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Gave it a tiny bit of a hoon and there's a huge difference between wind blast at 66mph on a 125cc and wind blast at 90mph on this thing. Jesus. Might have to get the taller touring screen.

Ermm, did you happen across an abandoned airfield perchance?

Careful McPlod doesn't take your new toy away to soon. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same thing joining the M3 on one of my trips to Cornwall. Slow driver in middle lane wafts into the left lane just as I'm joining. FFS it's not like these slip roads aren't signposted. Thankfully there wasn't much other traffic so I could get away with the safety throttle and cutting in front of them.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

You have to ride defensively and always anticipate the worst case scenario 100% of the time -.

Exactly this. Expect everyone else to do the worst thing at the worst time and you’ll rarely be surprised when it happens.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to the rest, as part of that always have an "escape plan" ready. So if you're merging into a gap, think what you'll do if that gap closes for whatever reason. For most circumstances, there are options available to you as a big bike is both small enough to slip into gaps to avoid something, yet fast enough to escape something. You just need to keep your wits about you all the time. Thumbs Up

Windblast - you get used to it. If anything, see it as a useful speed limiter - hooning about the speed limit when you're so new to riding is likely to result in either an off or Mr Plod getting excited. My Street Twin had appalling aerodynamics and felt like you had to hang on for dear life at normal motorway speeds, but I didn't spend much time at those speeds (motorways are boring!) and it discouraged me from pelting along much quicker than that.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might actually do the IAM thing after this morning. Like you're all pointing out, you need to be on edge constantly.

If I am happy enough to spend £105 on a QuadLock and £100 on a gear indicator then I am definitely happy enough to spend £150 on better training.

On wind blast being an artificial speed limiter I totally get that, I think it's alright to get through DAS but motorways are a different thing and I need to take it slowly and learn.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 on a gear indicator

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
£100 on a gear indicator

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mad

It was actually £80 and £20 on bobbins

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really do need to assume that any other road users cant see you ride accordingly.
and be especially careful when passing junctions or going around roundabouts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably know this fine well but it might bear repeating - someone told me an obvious thing about motorway / dual carriageway riding once - i didn't fully appreciate it until a few thousand miles later but it was simply this: don't sit in a vehicle's blind-spot if you can ever help it

so e.g. there's a vehicle to your left - just make sure you can see the driver's head in the vehicle's off-side mirror, and there's a clear line of sight from you to them - if there isn't, their blind spot is potentially pretty damn big, and they'll just pull out without shoulder checking, because shoulder checks are something that most drivers got out of the habit of doing many moons ago, and anyway, "I checked my mirrors mate and I never saw nowt".

i mean, yeah, don't think that just because there's a line of sight available to the driver they'll use it - assume they won't - but at least you COULD be seen if they do decide to glance into their mirror before pulling into your lane

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might actually do the IAM thing after this morning. Like you're all pointing out, you need to be on edge constantly.

If I am happy enough to spend £105 on a QuadLock and £100 on a gear indicator then I am definitely happy enough to spend £150 on better training.

On wind blast being an artificial speed limiter I totally get that, I think it's alright to get through DAS but motorways are a different thing and I need to take it slowly and learn.

Just remember that everyone else on the road other than you is a homicidal short sighted incompetent fuckwit and ride accordingly. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
don't sit in a vehicle's blind-spot if you can ever help it

Feck, I wouldn't do it in a car! Something like the A3 (heading into town) is bad for this as it's a long section of 50mph. Everyone plodding along, not really paying attention Sad

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking unintentionally wheelied it after dumping the clutch, wheel came up, I slipped back on the seat and pulled on the throttle and lost control of it.

Bike flipped over onto its left and skid across the road, cracked open the alternator cover and pissed it’s oil out. Couldn’t see any other damage other than than the gear selector switch bending upwards slightly and some scuffs on the left fairing and on the left bar end.

My only injuries were to my pride.

It’s been collected by the garage and I’m waiting on them getting back to me with an estimate. Anyone know the likely bill?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:33 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% I am going to buy a GoPro and helmet mount it. Was on the bike using the motorway into work for the first time on it and got to where the M73 overpasses the M74 and I was in the fast lane doing around about 80 keeping up with the flow of traffic, had cars infront and behind me.

The bit that's a 50 limit because it's a dangerous short motorway merge where half the cars are trying to get to the far right and the other half are trying to get to the far left, all in about 1/2 mile? Some traffic will have been doing 80, but most of it will have been doing well under 50.

Quote:
Fucking unintentionally wheelied it after dumping the clutch, wheel came up, I slipped back on the seat and pulled on the throttle and lost control of it.

Bike flipped over onto its left and skid across the road, cracked open the alternator cover and pissed it’s oil out.

Sounds like you need to calm the fuck down. That's two warnings. The first incident was pure observation fail, everybody drives like a twat on that bit, you have to keep your head up, eyes open and wits about you because vehicles are criss-crossing from both directions. The second was trying to ride like a cock before you have the motor skills to do so.

I'd suggest you either wind it in or get some more training before you land up under a wagon. There's plenty of time to learn to ride fast, that bit comes after you learn to ride.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to the necessary parts to keep the price down, ignore the scuffed fairings and other cosmetics.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd suggest you either wind it in or get some more training before you land up under a wagon. There's plenty of time to learn to ride fast, that bit comes after you learn to ride.

Can’t argue with that at all
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5