Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changes to Highway Code

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Changes to Highway Code Reply with quote

Lots of fluff in the press but little details Sad Much as the talk is of pedestrians and lycra-clad fascists cyclists I think we get a solid upgrade:

Quote:
The new hierarchy would be:

Pedestrians
Cyclists
Horse riders
Motorcyclists
Cars/taxis
Vans/minibuses
Large passenger vehicles/heavy goods vehicles

https://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/Highway-Code-changes-to-create-new-road-user-hierarchy/9197

I'm not sure how this plays out with defensive riding "act as if you don't have right-of-way" or insurance claims. On the latter I'm thinking something like filtering were a car in a queue takes out a bike going down the outside.

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a good idea. In the end of the day pedestrians are the most vulnerable road users.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m guessing the powers that be want to encourage people out of thier own private transport: less strain on the road infer structure = they have to pay out less for maintaining it..

Then instead of penalising the motorist, why not make a cheap and reliable public transport system that people WANT to use,= less cars on the road.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:15 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadbat wrote:
I think it is a good idea. In the end of the day pedestrians are the most vulnerable road users.

Pedestrians aren’t supposed to use the road, they are supposed to use the pavement.

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:17 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I’m guessing the powers that be want to encourage people out of thier own private transport: less strain on the road infer structure = they have to pay out less for maintaining it..

Then instead of penalising the motorist, why not make a cheap and reliable public transport system that people WANT to use,= less cars on the road.

This may be true for those of us who live in cities although I'm not fully convinced that this is the main aim for the current highway code update.
Besides if you commute by car in for example London, you're probably spending more time in traffic than you would if you were to use public transport. Especially after introduction of low traffic neighbourhoods which I think are causing more congestion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:19 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

Pedestrians aren’t supposed to use the road, they are supposed to use the pavement.

I should've use the word highway which includes pavement, you know like highway code.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadbat wrote:
I think it is a good idea. In the end of the day pedestrians are the most vulnerable stupid road users.

FTFY Wink

Besides, they are "road users." They call them Pedestrian Crossings Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
deadbat wrote:

You've never crossed the road on foot?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:23 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all pedestrians. Of course some of us are not the sharpest tools in the box, but you'll find idiots in every group of road users. There are plenty of muppets on bicycles, bikes and in cars/lorries.
I personally don't see the problem with these changes.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should get an exemption for hitting any idiot engrossed with their mobile phone.
i actually had one step onto the road on a busy high street and walk into to side of my car before he saw me!.

ive also had joggers wearing earphones run straight out in front of me without looking on multiple occasions.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
you should get an exemption for hitting any idiot engrossed with their mobile phone.
i actually had one step onto the road on a busy high street and walk into to side of my car before he saw me!.

ive also had joggers wearing earphones run straight out in front of me without looking on multiple occasions.

Maybe you should study the auld style Highway Code.

"This Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone.

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and are considerate towards each other. This applies to pedestrians as much as to drivers and riders."

And
"This Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone.

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and are considerate towards each other. This applies to pedestrians as much as to drivers and riders."

Oh and

"Rule 146
Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular....

try to anticipate what pedestrians and cyclists might do. If pedestrians, particularly children, are looking the other way, they may step out into the road without seeing you"

Ah'm I going too fast for you? Very Happy

As motorcyclists, motorists and or heavier vehicle-ists we are legally compelled (and morally) to look out for other kunts.
It's a civilisation out their Big Yin, not a feckin war zone.

I see the interaction with dumbkunts as an source of entertainment.

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:39 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Maybe you should pay more attention to what's going on when you drive/ride.
I honestly don't see the issue people are having with this highway code update.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and conspicuous in their absence: eScooters Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadbat wrote:

Maybe you should pay more attention to what's going on when you drive/ride.
I honestly don't see the issue people are having with this highway code update.

so, i anticipated their actions, adjusted my driving to suit and avoided any incidents. what more care would you have me take against stupidity?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:50 - 06 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they cared about safety then horses would be removed from the road and cyclists wouldn't be used as mobile roadblocks.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:31 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
If they cared about safety then horses would be removed from the road and cyclists wouldn't be used as mobile roadblocks.

And motorcycles would be entirely banned most likely, thanks to the massively high fatalities per hour of road use. (Similar to cyclists per mile, but of course an hour's cycling can easily be ten minutes motorcycling).

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:15 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

And motorcycles would be entirely banned most likely, thanks to the massively high fatalities per hour of road use. (Similar to cyclists per mile, but of course an hour's cycling can easily be ten minutes motorcycling).

I don't get your point.
Motorbikes are proper form of transport and so are bicycles when used properly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:15 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegan cars are also a proper form of transport. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Given Vegans won't eat avocados that have been pollinated via bee exploitation I doubt they'd condone Equine servitude!

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Maybe you should study the auld style Highway Code.

And

Oh and

"Rule 146
Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular....

try to anticipate what pedestrians and cyclists might do. If pedestrians, particularly children, are looking the other way, they may step out into the road without seeing you"

Ah'm I going too fast for you? Very Happy

As motorcyclists, motorists and or heavier vehicle-ists we are legally compelled (and morally) to look out for other kunts.
It's a civilisation out their Big Yin, not a feckin war zone.

I see the interaction with dumbkunts as an source of entertainment.

Don't forget though the Highway Code is not a law in its own right. It is an amalgamation and interpretation of points of the law written into an Act of Parliament and set out in such a way that a chimpanzee of moderate intelligence should be able to understand it. However there are a number of individual road users who fail miserably to come up to the lifetime skills and intelligence of a chimp.

That said, it does generally give good advice, but the H.C. itself is open to interpretation in many ways and can be put into the category of square peg in a round hole. In other words it does not cover every eventuality or one size does not fit all. It is a guide, no more no less.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiots around here run with the traffic flow - cos that's what happens on TV. Yeah on closed roads you massive fcukknuckle.

Also running with headphones in / on.

Dark clothes

No HiVis

On the road next to a perfectly good pavement ( bruv that's for pedestrians)

Between that and the miserable looking twunts in lycra who go around in groups of 10+ blowing snot out of each nostril with depressing regularity with not a care for the length of the queue forming behind them.

I thought Furlough had ended but clearly not by the numbers of them still out and about.

So for me, the two most vulnerable groups of road users seem to have not a care in the world for the Highway code. Sharing the road in their eyes means putting their safety firmly in the hands of others.

I do not know how more are not killed.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

photoman wrote:

Don't forget though the Highway Code is not a law in its own right. It is an amalgamation and interpretation of points of the law written into an Act of Parliament and set out in such a way that a chimpanzee of moderate intelligence should be able to understand it. However there are a number of individual road users who fail miserably to come up to the lifetime skills and intelligence of a chimp.

That said, it does generally give good advice, but the H.C. itself is open to interpretation in many ways and can be put into the category of square peg in a round hole. In other words it does not cover every eventuality or one size does not fit all. It is a guide, no more no less.

Take your argument to court.
Hard for a jury to decide in favour of anyone who misinterprets/ignores the highway code.

Those who have read the highway code already know what it means.

But u doo u.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you read the Highway code, if it says 'should' its advisory. Be prepared to justify why you didn't follow the advice.

If it says 'shall' or 'must' it's the law and has to be abided by.

Legal terms...

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:58 - 13 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The emissions from them are more unpleasant though.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadbat wrote:

It’s a fukkin horrible idea. Having lived in a country where pedestrians have right off way (in certain circumstances), pedestrians typically assume right of way is some invisible force field and will literally just walk out into the road and give you shit if you nearly run them over.

Roads are meant for vehicles not people. Make the rules as such.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1