Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motor insurance claim, who do I complain to/about?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:01 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Motor insurance claim, who do I complain to/about? Reply with quote

Mrs stinkwheel had an accident. She informed her insurance broker she had had an accident the next day and told them the details of the other party. Also that she would not be making a claim off them because the damage to the bike was so minimal and she was uninjured. Nothing else.

Fast forward 10 months and a county court claim comes through the door from the other party.

The broker refused to discuss the matter.

The underwriter did. It transpires the third party made a claim. The broker instructed the underwriter to settle the claim in full. At no point was she informed a claim had been made. At no point was she asked any details about the incident. She was not informed liability had been accepted and a settlement had been made on her behalf.

They have also paid out the county court claim, in full. Again without asking her about any details of the claim or informing her they had done so. She had to contact them today because the deadline for submitting a defence was rapidly approaching. They replied that they had paid it.

She is upset. I am raging. As far as I am concerned, at the very worst this was a 50:50 claim. I think a good case could have been made for denying any liability because while Mrs stinkwheel was overtaking, the third party did not indicate or check their mirrors before turning right into a totally unmarked dirt road while they were alongside one another.

The question is, do we complain to the broker, the underwriter or both?

I want a believable appology about the lack of communication and for accepting liability without even investigating the circumstances of the accident.

I also want the insurance record to be ammended to reflect that this is a non-fault claim.

Had we not received the court letter. We would still have been totally unaware that a claim had even been made, let alone settled.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:03 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people usually refer you to their cohorts, The Financial Ombudsman.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/insurance

"If you have a complaint about an insurance company or claim, we can help. Find out more about the types of insurance complaints we deal with, and what we can do to help put things right."

I'm not sure but I believe he's a short, rotund chap who sits in a Chesterfield chair in a smoke filled office in London town.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You first have to complain to broker/underwriter if they fail to resolve it in 8 weeks, or issue a deadlock letter. You then have a right to take it to FOS for a judgement. (going to take months)

TBH. While I get what you are saying. Bottom line is underwriters are the one making the decision, what we have to say makes little difference.

But give it a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would need to know a bit more Mr Wheel, as it's hard to know who had the authority to do what without knowing the parties involved and the terms of their contracts together, but:
1) It's very rare for a broker to have the authority to tell an insurer to settle a claim. That decision rests with the insurer almost always, in respect of third party losses anyway.
2) It's likely the insurer rang the broker to ask whether the claim had been reported, the broker said yes it has, at which point the insurer took some details from the broker regarding the accident and decided - on the basis of what it was told - that it wasn't worth defending.
3) If you haven't been asked to so much as fill out a claim form (I know you weren't thinking of claiming, but it's the correct procedure to make sure all relevant details of the accident are captured early on so that nothing is forgotten when the counter-claim comes in, as it has here) then that's a procedural error by the broker, IMO.
4) On dispute of liability, unfortunately as painful as it is the insurer has rights under the contract to assume that liability for you regardless of your opinion of it. For small value claims I often feel they don't do what's in the best interest of the insured, but themselves - ramping up costs for hire vehicles etc whilst disputes are ongoing just shoots themselves in the foot.
5) Make sure you follow the complaints procedure as set out within the policy document, as closely as possible. The broker will write back, almost certainly saying your complaint is with the insurer, but go through the steps properly otherwise FOS don't tend to view it very kindly.

If you need anything, I'm here Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:49 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Would need to know a bit more Mr Wheel, as it's hard to know who had the authority to do what without knowing the parties involved and the terms of their contracts together, but:
1) It's very rare for a broker to have the authority to tell an insurer to settle a claim. That decision rests with the insurer almost always, in respect of third party losses anyway.
2) It's likely the insurer rang the broker to ask whether the claim had been reported, the broker said yes it has, at which point the insurer took some details from the broker regarding the accident and decided - on the basis of what it was told - that it wasn't worth defending.
3) If you haven't been asked to so much as fill out a claim form (I know you weren't thinking of claiming, but it's the correct procedure to make sure all relevant details of the accident are captured early on so that nothing is forgotten when the counter-claim comes in, as it has here) then that's a procedural error by the broker, IMO.
4) On dispute of liability, unfortunately as painful as it is the insurer has rights under the contract to assume that liability for you regardless of your opinion of it. For small value claims I often feel they don't do what's in the best interest of the insured, but themselves - ramping up costs for hire vehicles etc whilst disputes are ongoing just shoots themselves in the foot.
5) Make sure you follow the complaints procedure as set out within the policy document, as closely as possible. The broker will write back, almost certainly saying your complaint is with the insurer, but go through the steps properly otherwise FOS don't tend to view it very kindly.

If you need anything, I'm here Thumbs Up

Thanks for that. So I should really complain about their lack of communication and their failure to even attempt to establish the facts of the case rather than simply their accepting of liability.

The lack of comms is the most annoying thing. If we hadn't received this county court claim, we wouldn't have even known a claim had occurred. We had assumed either the other party had either decided not to claim or were uninsured.

I can make a convincing sounding argument that as they made no attempt to find out what happened, they can have had no idea where liability actually rested. They were negligent in failing to find out the facts of the case. What I'm trying to avoid is a hefty fault claim loading my wifes insurance...

One more question. She is due to renew both her car and motorcycle insurance soon. We have not formally been told about the claim, we have not been told how liability was apportioned, nor have we been told how much it was for. What do we tell people when we're getting quotes?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry to much about the loading, other than the renewal from the lying scum at Provident Middle Finger it made no difference to me. Except when I forgot to declare it on the Bullet 350 and they phoned me to say it needed adding and the price went from £42 to £42 Laughing

You can test it by running a couple of quotes for Ms (insert made up name here) at the address nextdoor, one with a claim, one without.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1