Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
You're a funny man Islander!

Now, care to address the questions I asked about this Alex Jones business, fill in the details as I asked? Surely your preferred media services have given you enough to make the judgement you clearly have made? Because you haven't shown me anything that would enable you to do so, so far.

I've provided links to the BBC story, here are some others. Fill yer boots.

https://apnews.com/article/shootings-austin-texas-violence-e067a8bc031ce48be0810764c7bb3c18

https://apnews.com/article/alex-jones-infowars-sandy-hook-verdict-edc1c705ed13b84398084bed91a85b37

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/jury-alex-jones-defamation-case-begin-deliberations-punitive-damages-2022-08-05/

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/mistrial-denied-jury-weighs-damages-against-alex-jones-sandy-hook-defamation-2022-08-04/

There are plenty of links to follow from the main articles.

Happy reading Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still none the wiser as to answers for the questions I put over the "harassment" claims.

And they were seeking $150 million of damages?! There's your clue. This case was about money, and silencing someone they happened not to like, that's all. And that's you Islander. Silence those you don't like. Until it happens to you of course.

If someone openly advocates physical violence or terrorism, then I'm all for silencing them. But I don't see that being claimed about Jones.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the wrong thread for political stuff, there's an entire section of the forum dedicated to it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm still none the wiser as to answers for the questions I put over the "harassment" claims.

And they were seeking $150 million of damages?! There's your clue. This case was about money, and silencing someone they happened not to like, that's all. And that's you Islander. Silence those you don't like. Until it happens to you of course.

If someone openly advocates physical violence or terrorism, then I'm all for silencing them. But I don't see that being claimed about Jones.

I disagree. I think it was more about shutting the vile specimen up and stopping him from doing even more damage. His constant false claims that the sandy hook incident didn't happen caused massive hurt in that community and that's before his moronic followers started attacking the parents as well. He deserved to be shut up and to pay huge damages for his nasty lies.

I'm all for freedom of speech as long as the person claiming that right is observing the responsibilities it entails. Once you start using the right to free speech to protect a terrible lie like that then you're actually doing harm to the principle of free speech. People like Jones are the real enemy of freedom of speech, not the people trying to shut him up.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
This is the wrong thread for political stuff, there's an entire section of the forum dedicated to it.

Sir! Sir! He started it sir! I just posted something that massively oiled my gears. Laughing

Anyway this is the random banter section where anything goes so ner! Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Sir! Sir! He started it sir! I just posted something that massively oiled my gears. Laughing

Anyway this is the random banter section where anything goes so ner! Razz

Piss off Easy, this is oiling my gears Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I disagree. I think it was more about shutting the vile specimen up and stopping him from doing even more damage. His constant false claims that the sandy hook incident didn't happen caused massive hurt in that community and that's before his moronic followers started attacking the parents as well. He deserved to be shut up and to pay huge damages for his nasty lies.

I'm all for freedom of speech as long as the person claiming that right is observing the responsibilities it entails. Once you start using the right to free speech to protect a terrible lie like that then you're actually doing harm to the principle of free speech. People like Jones are the real enemy of freedom of speech, not the people trying to shut him up.

But why is it such a terrible lie, really? It's one guy who is known for his way-out thoughts and ideas, spouting off on the internet. What's the big deal? You don't have to listen to him. In fact, if you want to feel sorry for someone, you should feel sorry for Jones.
Try to step back and disengage a little. it'll be better for your own mental health Smile

If I was inclined, I could pull your post apart in so many ways, but you wouldn't get it, so I'll stop here. You have my sympathy, anyway Smile

Alex Jones is a part of you, and you of him Shocked Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King that executes the jester is a tyrant.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack it in Easy, this isn't the place for it Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

that is just so Orwellian. BCFs own minister of truth Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:09 - 07 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's a principle set by the us supreme Court.

You cannot shout fire in a crowded theater if there isn't one because of the mayhem that would result. That isn't considered protected free speech.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold a pair of bike leather trousers that I listed months ago on ebay and had completely forgotten about. Didn't think it
auto renewed a BIN listing that many times. Made £40 as I sniped them when I bought them for just £30, they almost fit
but were way too long in the leg so sold them on for £70 plus postage. Thumbs Up Wink

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small line this morning left over from the weekend's malarkey.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Shocked

What? There are people who live a different kind of life to you, that's all.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
[They both provide new gathering services to the worldwide press - the endpoint is where the editorialisation takes place, the stuff they feed in is more or less straight from the journalists' reporting pad. They both take pride in providing an unbiased service and that's the very principle they were founded on. If they shifted from that principle then their business model would suffer significantly.

Where's the full of shit rating? All of this social justice stuff comes from the news agencies, the media outlets we use are just repeaters, sure they spin stuff for their readers but it's the same stories. They very rarely do any original or investigative journalism.

Just logically BBC, ITN, Sky, all the various other news outlets would all have to be doing it off their own bat, OR they all get it from the same source?

Islander wrote:
Of course, if you used the services for your newsfeed for a while, you'd be able to judge the services for yourself but if you're genuinely concerned that editorial bias exists in so-called 'mainstream' news outlets then you should probably try to get your newsfeed as much from source as possible. Guess where that is? Wink

I tried precisely this years ago, as what I'd really like is a bland boring reading of world events, you know how Channel 4 news used to be years ago. As above the news agencies are the same shit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother M.C
Islander doesn't even bother to read the links he posts before he wades in with the bigotry he adopts from a few headlines from dubious sources Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Don't bother M.C
Islander doesn't even bother to read the links he posts before he wades in with the bigotry he adopts from a few headlines from dubious sources Laughing

Oh I do. There's no bigotry involved either.

Thanks for the concern for my mental health by the way but seriously, do you think the stuff I write on here raises my blood pressure by even as much as 1mm Hg? Laughing

I'm pretty chilled as a general rule. Wink

I do get amused by the ranty responses though - and I'm not including you in that. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
There's no bigotry involved either.

Are you kidding?! If people like you have their way, we'll be living under an authoritarian Stalinist-style regime in no time Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:39 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like we are about to get under the tory plans to prevent the legal withdrawal of labour and to limit the right to protest?

Oh, and Russia and Belarus have just withdrawn from the ECHR. Just like conservatives in this country want to do.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lately taken to cultivating a more air-headed attitude to life.

I keep it fairly reigned in, but it does come in useful when I discover I have *no clue* as to whatever you lot are bickering about. Laughing

This place has the atmosphere of a proper old style boozer, people all bicker on and posture about, but somehow we all just keep coming in.

Don't make me come over there and bang your heads together Folded arms

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Someone who has recently been in my house must have left a small folded up piece of paper in the tin where I keep my rolling papers. I might have thrown it away ... by mistake, of course ... thinking it was just a busted up old rizla.

Shocked Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You mean like we are about to get under the tory plans to prevent the legal withdrawal of labour and to limit the right to protest?

It might depend on the details (which I don't know in this case), but yes. It's the beginning of a very dangerous direction. Personally, I think you should have the right to withdraw your labour as long as the employer has the right to fire you or at least withdraw your pay in return. With public services, perhaps the public should get to decide? But I wouldn't make it illegal to strike, except in very exceptional circumstances like a war in which national survival was at stake.

Quote:
Oh, and Russia and Belarus have just withdrawn from the ECHR. Just like conservatives in this country want to do.

I'm surprised they weren't booted out. We shouldn't be a part of something that allows such unsavoury characters to be members without kicking up any kind of fuss when the rules are broken.

But if we're to continue this conversation, let's take it to a suitable thread in the politics section Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah go on, have another tinnie and jaw some more.
You know you want to.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Nah go on, have another tinnie and jaw some more.
You know you want to.

Madam, there are times and places for everything (as long it is within the confines of the law of course), and this location is unsuitable for the conversation. Please abide by the regulations, and don't encourage unsuitable behaviour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 55 of 101