Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 15 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of food, I'm cooking a traditonal Sunday roast pork with crackling today. The first time I have cranked up the oven for a serious cook since I got the air fryer.

It's going to be glorious with loads of pork left over for me to munch on cold over the next day or so. Thumbs Up

As an aside, what's the best way of cleaning oven glass with a very caked on surface that makes it opaque?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 15 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

As an aside, what's the best way of cleaning oven glass with a very caked on surface that makes it opaque?

Oven pride, but FFS wear gloves. Preferably a decent pair of long cuff marigolds that you bought separately.
There will be some crappy little gloves in the pack but they aren't very good. Don't drip it on anything painted
or varnished. An eggcup full will be enough to clean oven door glass, apply a little at a time with a pan scourer
with a sponge attached using the white scouring side of the sponge until there's a foamy/bubbly coating on what
you want to clean, leave for 1/2 hour and then agitate again with the scratchy side and sponge off rinsing it out of
your sponge on each pass. Wipe dry with kitchen roll run the oven for a bit afterwards to finish the drying process.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/oven-pride-oven-liquid-box-500ml

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-non-scratch-sponge-scourers-x6

https://www.screwfix.com/p/showa-chem-master-master-gauntlets-blue-black-x-large/88187

A tenner will buy all three items.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a very sharp wide knife and CIF Oven cleaner - that gets the top coat moving and then the oven cleaner can get through to the really caked on stuff.

Can only do this on smooth glass for obvs reasons and you have to keep the knife at a steady angle so you don't mark the glass.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:49 - 15 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caustic soda. But remember it's caustic and dissolves organic material such as burned on fat, eyes and hands.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 15 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Dishwasher tablet, dipped in water and rubbed on the glass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:45 - 16 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
I prefer a very sharp wide knife and CIF Oven cleaner - that gets the top coat moving and then the oven cleaner can get through to the really caked on stuff.

Can only do this on smooth glass for obvs reasons and you have to keep the knife at a steady angle so you don't mark the glass.

I used a stanley knife blade as a scraper to get most of it first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just got mains electricity hook up for my boat sorted out.
This means I can now trickle charge the batteries, instead of letting them go all splurg over the rest of the winter Thumbs Up .

Now I have a power point for the sander and a little fan heater.
The fan heater will reduce the amount of damp .

Happy Pepperami is happy .

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 05:55 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting out of hospital after 13 days ... proper cup'o'tea ... getting to see my wee chicken (African Grey parrot) ... more tea Laughing

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
Getting out of hospital after 13 days ... proper cup'o'tea ... getting to see my wee chicken (African Grey parrot) ... more tea Laughing
Proper night's sleep?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the correct sequence to download photos from camera to phone via wifi.....it's taken 2 years of following the Fujifilm instructions...following 'expert' advice (because the Fujifilm advice didn't work)..searching forums etc...y'know how it goes. Mad

Rarely did it work... until now.

I shouldn't be this chuffed but I am.

It's still a sh1t App but it now works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
BanditsHigh wrote:
Proper night's sleep?

Unfortunately not yet, even though I don't have the constant noise on the ward keeping me awake now!

Hit the hay at 10pm last night, managed an hour and woke up ... then managed another hour after that before getting up at 2:30am this morning.

I was on 500mg a day of methylprednisolone for three days and then 75mg of prednisolone for the last few weeks ... with one of the side effects being insomnia ... but still, I'm home and that's what really matters ... sleep will come come at some point Thumbs Up

UPDATE:
Woohoo, broken sleep @ about an hour each time ... but nearly 11 hours in bed and actually feel as though I've had a good sleep ... gears lubed and ready to rock!

Last edited by BanditsHigh on 09:51 - 22 Jan 2023; edited 1 time in total

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just not being at work today has oiled my transmission.
The same thing will happen again tomorrow.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 09:55 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention yesterday, first time on the bike in two weeks or so after hospital visit.

Feck it was scary, infections in my legs have left them quite weak, bad enough wheeling it out as she felt really heavy (GSX1400), getting on reasonably ok, problems getting feet onto footrests (hands help lifting leg), changing gear, shit scared I was going to drop it ... but it was AWESOME Twisted Evil

But I think I'll get the strength back in the old legs before venturing out again!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:00 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground has finally thawed. Been wanting to get out on my trials bike for the last 2 weeks to get some mud-plugging practice in ready for a trial next month. The day after I got it MOTed, it froze solid and has remained frozen since.

Now to see if this new tyre will actually grip at all in deep mud.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 22:39 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linear guide rail and guides arrived for the new CNC laser/mill I'm creating ... nothing quite like a machined bit of precision metal Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco Wizzard v Cops, guess who wins https://youtu.be/nMcpaWTlGdA

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was invited to an ad hoc lunch date by the Italian shrink, ostensibly to talk about the various work-related things in his practice.

I thought we'd just go for coffee somewhere off Brompton Road but he'd booked a table at a little back-street trattoria in Knightsbridge, no less.
Round the corner from the shop with all the Maclarens in the window, how fab!

It was all very seemly and we talked about work (most of the time Laughing ) .
It was very decent grub.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Eco Wizzard v Cops, guess who wins https://youtu.be/nMcpaWTlGdA

I fuckin love Ozzie Man, he's a proper twat Laughing

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 22:40 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out on the bike again for more hospital appointments, but what a difference from Saturday!

Can now lift legs under their own steam onto footrests, changing gear near enough normal ... legs still quite weak when getting on/off/walking but getting there Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired up the van for the first time since August, the cost of diesel has meant it's been cheaper using the car given
their average MPG is about the same. Happy it started after such a long time out of use but was alarmed to see mould
spores on the seat and steering wheel. The condensation in the back was ridiculous and caused an indoor rain shower
when I pulled away in it for the first time. Stuck it on the driveway last night and connected up the smart charger over
night, battery is fully charged now without the aggro of taking it off the van. Gonna run around in that for a while because
it needs a good airing and drying out, but I'm going to jump in the back and towel off as much of the moisture as I can later
today. At least the central locking doesn't sound like it's struggling anymore now there's plenty of juice in the battery.
I also bunged the MT10 on for a couple of hours to top that up a bit, don't want to be buying a new battery in April.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Fired up the van for the first time since August, the cost of diesel has meant it's been cheaper using the car given
their average MPG is about the same. Happy it started after such a long time out of use but was alarmed to see mould
spores on the seat and steering wheel. The condensation in the back was ridiculous and caused an indoor rain shower
when I pulled away in it for the first time. Stuck it on the driveway last night and connected up the smart charger over
night, battery is fully charged now without the aggro of taking it off the van. Gonna run around in that for a while because
it needs a good airing and drying out, but I'm going to jump in the back and towel off as much of the moisture as I can later
today. At least the central locking doesn't sound like it's struggling anymore now there's plenty of juice in the battery.
I also bunged the MT10 on for a couple of hours to top that up a bit, don't want to be buying a new battery in April.

Fire one of those Air Conditioning fresheners through the bastirt.

I've used them on smelly bastirt's cars when they complain about the smell.

Air conditioning breeds all sorts of mould spores.

Circulatinng the spray through the vehicle ventilation system knocks any stench thefuk down.
It says it kills the mould/bacteria. Well who knows?

But they do work at de-stench-ification.

I'm not recommending this item bit as a sample of wot u want.

https://www.signetid.co.uk/adhesives-sprays/industrial-aerosols/tygrisd202

You could also go all ghetto and fill a spray bottle with detol solution and skoosh it into the vents but the canned stuff works by setting the system on recirculation, closing the windows, set the a/c on full blower, start the spray can on the floor, close the doors, windows and let it rip.

Takes about 1/2 hour to complete.

Then open the vents to let fresh air in to blow out the chemicals.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van has no air con. It's poverty spec, the main features are electric windows and central locking (Where the
remote doesn't work anymore) Laughing A wipe over the plastics with some dettol spray will do, I've just wiped the ceiling
down with a couple of tea towels, and a good run with the heating on will sort the rest.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them 1 quid dehumidifier tubs are ideal for enclosed small areas like vehicles, but you'd need to find a way to keep it upright.

For that reason they do vehicle specific ones, but with less capacity it won't last as long.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/dehumidifiers-moisture-absorbers/equip-dehumidifier/1000227127213

Either way they're disposable at some point.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:29 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rains inside my van too, especially once it thaws after a frosty spell.

I think the government mandated steel bulkhead doesn't help matters because it gets no airflow in the back at all, despite being a nearly daily driver (although I'd rather have it there, keeps the stink of farmyard out of the passenger compartment and you can't heart all my gear rattling about). Best thing is to leave it parked up with both side doors open when the sun's out for a through-draft.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis and whiskey. Very Happy
Had a wee dram with my dinner, feeling all warm and happy right now. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 74 of 101