Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 17:34 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a 47kg propane bottle for a project, checked on Gumtree and found a few ... contacted one selling at £35 before then finding three at £10 each!!

I got a cryptic message about possibly buying something on Gumtree ... long story short, they wouldn't say who they were or what they were selling ... told them they had lost sale and blocked number ... seems like it was the £35 for one bottle so no loss!

Went to see the other person today, three 47kg propane bottles secured for £30 ... and picked up/delivered by a friend ... result Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my orchids are about to provide floral satisfaction.

They sit there looking funky but pointless with no flowers for so fucking long ... and then they do the biz and you remember why you bothered to keep them Wub

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:16 - 08 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
Looking for a 47kg propane bottle for a project,

Huge ones! You making a stove? You know the butane ones are made of thicker metal because they go in those inside gas fires where the bottle is very close to the burner?

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 09:40 - 08 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
BanditsHigh wrote:
Looking for a 47kg propane bottle for a project,

Huge ones! You making a stove? You know the butane ones are made of thicker metal because they go in those inside gas fires where the bottle is very close to the burner?

Two possible projects ... both to do with wood turning and bubbles in resin ... the reason for the 47kg one is the diameter, it's the biggest available (375mm externally).

Vacuum pot
Simple to make and relatively safe.

This sucks all of the bubbles out of the resin, but tends to foam up so needs to be repeated a few times.

To make ... polycarbonate sheet for the lid and a rubber seal of some sort to go round the edge (so one can monitor what's going on inside) ... add a pressure gauge and two valves (air in and air out).

Pressure pot
More difficult to make and a potential bomb!!!

Squeezes the bubbles down to a size where the human eye cannot actually see them and only needs to be pressurised once (between 40-60 psi).

Using the bottom and top parts of the cylinder, thicken and therefore strength the cut rim of each ... get each as flat as possible and add a big gasket between then ... then large clamps fitted round edge to clamp the two bits together ... usual air in/out valves and a pressure gauge and pressure safety valve.

Why make ...
I can make either with an internal diameter of around 365mm and say 500mm tall ... a 300mm diameter / 300m tall pressure pot is around £240.

So, if I fabricate the extra bits for a pressure pot (rim and clamps) and then get a coded welder to weld it all together, I reckon I'd get a far bigger pot and cheaper as well Thumbs Up

All the best ... Barry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 11 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this week at work I R been doing taste tests.
Specifically supermarket own brand tinned tomato soup.
I was going to do a list and give ratings but they're all the bloody same as Heinze.
Gears oiled because the Bramwells Aldi brand at 57p is every bit as good as Heinze at £1.70.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:33 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
A couple of my orchids are about to provide floral satisfaction.

They sit there looking funky but pointless with no flowers for so fucking long ... and then they do the biz and you remember why you bothered to keep them Wub

My Wifey said 'did you originaly receive them as Valentine gifts?'
She has one that flowers on her birthday. Wub

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 13 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
All this week at work I R been doing taste tests.
Specifically supermarket own brand tinned tomato soup.
I was going to do a list and give ratings but they're all the bloody same as Heinze.
Gears oiled because the Bramwells Aldi brand at 57p is every bit as good as Heinze at £1.70.

cheaper food products often have far less healthy ingredients i believe.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:15 - 13 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

B1N wrote:
My Wifey said 'did you originaly receive them as Valentine gifts?'
She has one that flowers on her birthday. Wub

How lovely Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 13 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egg on toast for tea Drooling

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 14 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else has noticed the Grammys is s#1te https://youtu.be/1Ga6L_VJrBY

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 14 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
Bloke project

To make a decent vaccum flask then a good stock pot with the handles removed would probably do. Its getting a thick bit of pilycarbonate thats the tricky part.

Im curious, are you one of these retired dudes who takes up wood turning and spends the whole year making Christmas presents?

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 21:11 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
BanditsHigh wrote:
Bloke project

To make a decent vaccum flask then a good stock pot with the handles removed would probably do. Its getting a thick bit of polycarbonate that's the tricky part.

I'm curious, are you one of these retired dudes who takes up wood turning and spends the whole year making Christmas presents?

Bought the lathe about 8 years ago, not done a lot of work so far ... but that all changes this year as I love doing it and it'll be a way of making a little extra cash (once I'm good enough).

With regards vacuum pot (a flask is for keeping liquids warm or cold Wink) ...

BUY ... Vevor (stainless) / 280mm diameter by 300mm tall (external) / 19L volume / cost £95

MAKE ... 47kg propane tank (steel) £10 / 375mm diameter by 500mm tall (external) / 55L volume / cost around £100-£150 (depending on cost of polycarbonate or acrylic sheet).

Same height as the Vevor would be 33L, but the 375mm diameter compared to 280mm allows me to do larger pieces Twisted Evil

All the best ... Barry

P.S. Can get a 400mm by 400mm by 10mm thick piece of PC for £27

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 15 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:

Bought the lathe about 8 years ago, not done a lot of work so far ... but that all changes this year as I love doing it and it'll be a way of making a little extra cash (once I'm good enough).

With regards vacuum pot (a flask is for keeping liquids warm or cold Wink) ...

BUY ... Vevor (stainless) / 280mm diameter by 300mm tall (external) / 19L volume / cost £95

MAKE ... 47kg propane tank (steel) £10 / 375mm diameter by 500mm tall (external) / 55L volume / cost around £100-£150 (depending on cost of polycarbonate or acrylic sheet).

Same height as the Vevor would be 33L, but the 375mm diameter compared to 280mm allows me to do larger pieces Twisted Evil

All the best ... Barry

P.S. Can get a 400mm by 400mm by 10mm thick piece of PC for £27

Good luck. Personally I have left a trail of unfinished and not even started projects behind me in life. For instance I made a really cracking solid wood working bench a few years ago which is now what looks like the last resting place for the half dismantled remains of a PUCH five speed i started renovating during lock down.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Good luck. Personally I have left a trail of unfinished and not even started projects behind me in life.

I have a few like that. Thankfully I don't get round to them as paying jobs get in the way Smile I've a new bridge for my electric ukulele I've been meaning to fit for.... uumm... the last year Shifty

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 07:14 - 16 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Good luck. Personally I have left a trail of unfinished and not even started projects behind me in life.

I have a few like that. Thankfully I don't get round to them as paying jobs get in the way Smile I've a new bridge for my electric ukulele I've been meaning to fit for.... uumm... the last year Shifty

Pft ... amateurs ...

1) Garage, built about 15 years ago ... still haven't finished off edge of roof or fitted guttering and still no power to it (cable is there, just not connected at either end), no sockets etc.

2) Central heating boiler removed about 13 years ago, new boiler bought about 3 years ago ... still in box!

3) Homemade 18" bandsaw ... started 6 years ago ... still to make guides, fit table properly etc (still not in use) .... may not finish it as I have a better design!

4) Bathroom taken apart about 3 years ago (back to bare brick) ... new floor installed and two walls plastered, loo flushed with bucket ... in the process of doing it now (steampunk'ish look) Thumbs Up

5) Stepper motors and drivers bought about 6 years ago to build CNC mill, a couple of years ago a spindle and VFD ... just bought a shed load of extrusion, guide rails etc so will be building this year (as well as making it a mill/laser combo).

I now have lots of spare time, so hopefully will get at least some of them done Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 17 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a funny thing?
It almost went into “What Grinds My Gears”.

My I-pad threw a wobbly yesterday Mad and refused to start up when I switched it on.
All I could get was a black screen with a tiny spinning whirly icon in the centre.
No matter how many times I tried to turn it off again, it stayed black with the spinning icon.
I tried pressing all sorts of buttons, nothing happened?.
This went on from seven in the morning until eleven at night when it finally appeared to have run out of battery charge.
More out of desperation than anything else, I plugged it in to recharge.
At last something happened, I got a charging icon and an Apple icon.

Lo & behold, this morning my I-pad appears to have righted itself.
And added a few updates?
I’m just glad to have my I-pad working again. Smile

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 17 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:

Pft ... amateurs ...

1) Garage, built about 15 years ago ... still haven't finished off edge of roof or fitted guttering and still no power to it (cable is there, just not connected at either end), no sockets etc.

2) Central heating boiler removed about 13 years ago, new boiler bought about 3 years ago ... still in box!

3) Homemade 18" bandsaw ... started 6 years ago ... still to make guides, fit table properly etc (still not in use) .... may not finish it as I have a better design!

4) Bathroom taken apart about 3 years ago (back to bare brick) ... new floor installed and two walls plastered, loo flushed with bucket ... in the process of doing it now (steampunk'ish look) Thumbs Up

5) Stepper motors and drivers bought about 6 years ago to build CNC mill, a couple of years ago a spindle and VFD ... just bought a shed load of extrusion, guide rails etc so will be building this year (as well as making it a mill/laser combo).

I now have lots of spare time, so hopefully will get at least some of them done Laughing

Or, give up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:20 - 18 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got reminded of this.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/F6a2M2dY3BA

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:56 - 18 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boring for that? You really are an obnoxious wanker, Dave.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 18 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Only kids of a certain age laugh like that Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 19 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving my car...

Red line is around 5,500~6000rpm whereas my bike's just getting going at that point! I checked and my Fabia has identical (on paper) bhp to the XSR Thinking But that's pretty much "this orange is the same diameter as that apple" given the errr.... slight difference in torque Smile

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

used Merekat site for insurance quotes and received one for about half the price of my latest ins quote Thumbs Up
£100 compared to £197.
quite a shocking margin really.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
used Merekat site for insurance quotes and received one for about half the price of my latest ins quote Thumbs Up
£100 compared to £197.
quite a shocking margin really.

I just used go compare and got about the same quote for the coming year as last year but with parking on the street rather than on my own property and yet much less secure. I really wonder if its all just made up anyway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 21 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd have to hear from an an underwriter but I would imagine if they had a book to fill up their initial appetite for risk is higher. Swing round to the next year and they start handing out obnoxious quotes to the fringe punters.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 24 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonight its Baileys Irish cream.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 76 of 103