Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Finding out that we're an E10 exempt area and won't be getting any of the stuff in our pumps. Dance!

Why?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Islander wrote:
Finding out that we're an E10 exempt area and won't be getting any of the stuff in our pumps. Dance!

Why?

Our fuel comes in by sea on a bulk tanker so we're always got a huge reserve and apparently they can't ship it by sea. Works for me anyway.

ETA: Actually I wonder if it's the long term storage in bulk tanks that's the problem. Dunno. We're exempt anyway Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

"exemptions for filling stations on the Scottish islands: the proposals in the consultation document have been extended to cover filling stations in very remote areas where access to the protection grade (E5) is most sparse. Any filling station within an area covered by the Rural Fuel Duty Relief Scheme, as defined in Schedule 1 to the Hydrocarbon Oil and Biofuels (Road Fuels in Defined Areas) (Reliefs) Regulations 2011, will not be required to sell E10 petrol. This includes the Scottish islands, as well as a small number of other remote parts of the UK. E10 petrol will still be permitted to be sold in these areas, but not required"

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/introducing-e10-petrol/outcome/introducing-e10-petrol-outcome-and-summary-of-responses?fbclid=IwAR0V-Q5HqKjojXbBhqg7jTl3ev7R0bSIiucgL3xiyFbiFylhJbjiYms3nT0

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly long term storage issues. Stupid thing is it's more a publicity stunt than a savior of the world. Changing from diesel to HVO like we are doing for inland waterways boats is much more worthwhile.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Certainly long term storage issues. Stupid thing is it's more a publicity stunt than a savior of the world. Changing from diesel to HVO like we are doing for inland waterways boats is much more worthwhile.

I agree. There's far more benefit in looking at modifying the dirtier fuels used in haulage vehicles, ships and industry. Modern cars are pretty clean by comparison.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:20 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hybrid boats with solar panels for the win. Mr. Green

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rid of shit at the local tip. Putting stuff in the wrong category skip, blocking people and being a general Victor Meldrew about everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:21 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And that's the last Wednesday paddling of the year so I can get back to the serious business of drinking on my Wednesdays rather than having to ferry ste and no. 2 son there and back.

A set of lights on his bike would prevent such problems from occurring in the first place. Razz

Oh and he's going to need some lights for kayaking as well. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:58 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to see if replacing the landline and internet in favour of mobile was a viable option.

However if the sim card is in a router, how to use the phone part of it?

Bought a Huawei b525 4G router, slapped a PAYG EE SIM card in, plugged it into my ethernet switch and BT DECT phone.

Fuck me. It worked. All wired internet working, wireless working, can make and receive calls on the house phone using the mobile number.

Now remains to be seen if the 4G is fast and reliable enough. If it is, I'll sack off the landline and get an unlimited data plan. I can try different networks for speed/reliability using cheap PAYG cards.

No 5G here yet or it would be a total no-brainer, unlikely to be for a long time I suspect.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Wanted to see if replacing the landline and internet in favour of mobile was a viable option.

However if the sim card is in a router, how to use the phone part of it?

Bought a Huawei b525 4G router, slapped a PAYG EE SIM card in, plugged it into my ethernet switch and BT DECT phone.

Fuck me. It worked. All wired internet working, wireless working, can make and receive calls on the house phone using the mobile number.

Now remains to be seen if the 4G is fast and reliable enough. If it is, I'll sack off the landline and get an unlimited data plan. I can try different networks for speed/reliability using cheap PAYG cards.

No 5G here yet or it would be a total no-brainer, unlikely to be for a long time I suspect.

That's pretty much how I'm set up here. I have a VoIP service though and ported my old BT landline number to it. I have an ATA and a set of DECT phones. I used to have a 512kb/s service and now i see download speeds of up to 80mb/s and upload of 20mb/s.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoIP has got to the point where it's superior to a POTS line and 4G is more than enough for most needs, if you have a reasonable signal. The only reason I burn money on fibre optic is for work purposes otherwise I'd just have a Nokia 3310 and a newspaper... that's what I like to tell myself anyway Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:49 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

That's pretty much how I'm set up here. I have a VoIP service though and ported my old BT landline number to it. I have an ATA and a set of DECT phones. I used to have a 512kb/s service and now i see download speeds of up to 80mb/s and upload of 20mb/s.

I considered that but it seemed daft to pay for VOIP calls when a calls + data plan seems to work out pretty much the same as a data only.

Speed is the potential issue. Only getting 16mb/s download tonight. The upload is faster than my fibre broadband though.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 22:52 - 22 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and despite the trials and tribulations of getting a phone upgrade mentioned previously the website said the phone I wanted was on back order (4 to 6 days) and the acknowledgement email said 1 to 2 weeks Crying or Very sad

But I've just checked the order tracking and apparently it's turning up on Monday Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fried up a bit of cooked chicken in some butter, and added some chunks of cooking bacon.

Then I stirred in a massive dollop of cheap and nasty African peanut butter.

And I broke up a chillie from one of the black-and-red chilli trees I bought back in September, most of which chillies have dried up on the stalks now Rolling Eyes

Then I poured in some water and simmered the shit out of it for about half an hour.

And its produced a very reasonable chicken and bacon satê which I have just scoffed.

It will be difficult to stop the cats from licking the gravy in the middle of the night while I am asleep.
But they will pay for it, cos its v.spicy Cool
Perhaps I should put a plate over the saucepan Thinking

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
It will be difficult to stop the cats from licking the gravy in the middle of the night while I am asleep.

Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:42 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Found 87 Clips With "Licking The Gravy"

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

I considered that but it seemed daft to pay for VOIP calls when a calls + data plan seems to work out pretty much the same as a data only.

Speed is the potential issue. Only getting 16mb/s download tonight. The upload is faster than my fibre broadband though.

At the time, I wanted to hang on to the landline number so it was the best option for me.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:23 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday morning, that's a paddlin' swimmin'.

Laughing Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

And I broke up a chillie from one of the black-and-red chilli trees I bought back in September, most of which chillies have dried up on the stalks now Rolling Eyes

T

not necessarily a bad thing, depending on variety , and plant could fruit again next year
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

depending on variety , and plant could fruit again next year

Well it was called something like Joker or Jester, cos there were both black and red fruit on the plant. They looked terribly effective at the Dark & Deadly stall at the rally I went to back in September, I put it inside a skull-shaped potplant holder, some guy came up and took a picture of it Laughing

The chillies themselves do seem to be fairly effective, I've used a couple, and they definitely do the biz.
Might keep some seeds, try regrowing them again next year Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

The chillies themselves do seem to be fairly effective, I've used a couple, and they definitely do the biz.
Might keep some seeds, try regrowing them again next year Thinking

Worth a go. Just be aware that if they are an F1 hybrid variety, the plants you get from seeds will not be the same as the one they came from. You'll get a plant, but it may not breed true.

I've overwintered plants before. Cut back a lot of the excess foliage and just watered occasionally then re-potted in the spring once they start growing again.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting at the new 3 way temp lights that appeared earlier this week (replacing the previous set further down the road, that have been causing traffic chaos for the last 4 months) and became aware of a certain amount of commotion.

On paying attention, it seems some spotty youth in a badly modified Peugeot warm hatch misjudged his speed and totally screwed up running the red and crossing the junction in time, so now he's got a guy in a very large van facing him down, who has right of way and isn't going anywhere, nor is the line of traffic forming behind him.

Barry Boi attempts remonstration, but gets nowhere and is forced to reverse, choosing to block the entrance to some shops, which then incurs the wrath of another driver who wants to turn in there; cue a very poorly executed reverse-cum-3 point turn, resulting in a severely embarrassed fan of the Burberry cap.

Karma in action Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Sitting at the new 3 way temp lights that appeared earlier this week (replacing the previous set further down the road, that have been causing traffic chaos for the last 4 months) and became aware of a certain amount of commotion.

On paying attention, it seems some spotty youth in a badly modified Peugeot warm hatch misjudged his speed and totally screwed up running the red and crossing the junction in time, so now he's got a guy in a very large van facing him down, who has right of way and isn't going anywhere, nor is the line of traffic forming behind him.

Barry Boi attempts remonstration, but gets nowhere and is forced to reverse, choosing to block the entrance to some shops, which then incurs the wrath of another driver who wants to turn in there; cue a very poorly executed reverse-cum-3 point turn, resulting in a severely embarrassed fan of the Burberry cap.

Karma in action Laughing

Burberry-Capped-Small-Unused-Cock-Big-Pipe-Prick.
Only able to make noise and cause havoc.
They were conscripted/mostly eradicated during the last two WW campaigns.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Saturday morning, that's a paddlin' swimmin'.

Laughing Laughing

List of MPs who voted to allow raw sewage to be dumped into rivers

https://evolvepolitics.com/heres-a-list-of-every-mp-who-just-voted-to-allow-water-companies-to-continue-dumping-raw-sewage-in-our-rivers/

Gears oiled by having curry for breakfast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started emptying out my shed.
Starting with an assortment of bags, boxes and a suitcase belonging to my daughter.
I was hoping to score her perfume collection, which most likely would be old and "off" now anyway.

But *apparently* ... someone (I don't remember it being me!) has authorised the storage of her father's belongings from years ago when he was a bit "itinerant". And I am now plunged into the black hole of ultra-nostalgia from 30-35 years ago.

Rolling Eyes dear oh dear Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 22 of 103