Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:31 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday morning, that's a plague free paddlin'.

https://i.imgur.com/vEYWojX.jpg

Rain

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

HouseMasters radio.

A pleasing and surreal moment hearing my song(s)s played on the radio.

How broadcasting standards have fallen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Rain

That river is high. Do you get much flooding?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:11 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's higher than it has been in most if not all of the photos I've previously posted but it's still not particularly high

"Current River Level: 1.434m, rising
Within the usual range for this location

The usual range of the River Avon at Bradford on Avon is between 1.01m and 1.58m. It has been between these levels for 90% of the time since monitoring began.

The typical recent level of the River Avon at Bradford on Avon over the past 12 months has been between 0.72m and 1.45m. It has been between these levels for at least 150 days in the past year.

The highest level ever recorded at the River Avon at Bradford on Avon is 3.42m, reached on Tuesday 24th December 2013 at 4:45pm."

It's fun when the river is flowing fast. Dance!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ste wrote:

Rain

That river is high. Do you get much flooding?

High Ste requires high river. Karma

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:34 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will never be happening cos that's dangerous and stupid plus it would be a really quick way of getting kicked out of the club.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Job.
Awesome Cool

It will keep my brain occupied.
I'm in the right job for the first time in YEARS.

Well chuffed.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 14 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted another P.I.R. light today, this time on my new shed.
It fitted well and went up without much fuss, AND it works Shocked !.

It’s the little things in life that make you smile.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 14 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped over to visit my former colleagues in the other building and discovered that my consultants had left me some Xmas pressies which I hadn't got round to collecting in the rush to try and get to Australia.

Apparently there is a bottle of wine but I couldn't get into that office (no keys any more) but also there was a box of smellies ("Rituals", which I really like) and a gift card with £100 from Peter Jones Shocked - wasn't expecting that.

Result.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 16 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the old boy his present...

https://i.imgur.com/vgZs5Wl.jpg?1

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 16 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't gonna go out on the Snarley.

There was a memorial ride for a girl I vaguely know but didn't much like, who had recently snuffed it unexpectedly.
And I thought "Why should I bother?"
And then I thought "But what if people thought that about me when I died: oh that old bag, can't be arsed going out in the cold just to raise a glass to her".

And some of my mates who liked her more than I did ( Laughing ) were bothering to put themselves out by riding up a fair old trot from points south and west so its not as if I was the only one riding in potentially shitty weather.

So I decided to haul my lazy arse out for a ride.
Because after all, she was a bird, and she rode a bike, so I felt I might have owed her the ride just out of respect for those two similarities, I dunno, being alike me in some way.

And I'm glad I did.
Bit of blue sky, and some sunlit-woodsy bits.
Loony-tunes ride back home against the daylight Mr. Green
Nice.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Wasn't gonna go out on the Snarley.

There was a memorial ride for a girl I vaguely know but didn't much like, who had recently snuffed it unexpectedly.
And I thought "Why should I bother?"
And then I thought "But what if people thought that about me when I died: oh that old bag, can't be arsed going out in the cold just to raise a glass to her".

And some of my mates who liked her more than I did ( Laughing ) were bothering to put themselves out by riding up a fair old trot from points south and west so its not as if I was the only one riding in potentially shitty weather.

So I decided to haul my lazy arse out for a ride.
Because after all, she was a bird, and she rode a bike, so I felt I might have owed her the ride just out of respect for those two similarities, I dunno, being alike me in some way.

And I'm glad I did.
Bit of blue sky, and some sunlit-woodsy bits.
Loony-tunes ride back home against the daylight Mr. Green
Nice.
I rode to Colchester for to buy stuff yesterday afternoon and it was lovely going, but like riding directly into a lit WW2 searchlight coming back. I suppose this must happen in summer in the early mornings/late evenings but I never seem to have a memory of that.

One of the things I had to buy was a new PC keyboard as the most used letters have worn off the old one and I can't get all the biscuit crumbs out any more. Probably been using a keyboard every day since about 1995 and still need to look at it as I type. I've progressed to two fingers instead of one finger now (ooer), but this just means going back to each sentence and putting the letters in the right order, one finger typing this doesn't happen.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a little Art&Lutherie parlour size guitar on the local gumtree for £50. It has a small dent in the arse of it and the seller thought the neck was splitting from the body but actually its a bolt on neck design so a tighten up with a sash clamp and a few turns with a socket pulled the neck back into place. The guy selling it said rather ominously his flatmate wouldn't be needing it anymore Shocked , so im wondering if this explains the dent in it. Ive now christened the geetar Little Murderer. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been putting off listening to the Executive Committee meeting, cos they really do talk a load of waffle. But its important talk in the grand scheme of things, and it turns out my job is to put down succinctly what it is they are talking about.

Quite a challenge, because my brain has gone very soft in the last dozen or so years of skiving about, doing very little in the thinking-department.

I'm sure it will all get old pretty quick, but right now ... I am fascinated. Its taken me three hours to fully comprehend about twenty minutes-worth of them talking. But I have! And I've finally feel as though I have achieved something.

I'm not looking forward to translating what the French IT Director says, into understandable "executive summary" style. But I'm sure I'll do it.

Challenging! Fantastic.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I'm not looking forward to translating what the French IT Director says, into understandable "executive summary" style. But I'm sure I'll do it.

Challenging! Fantastic.

Try and goad him into talking about "focusing", you'll have a laugh then.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My photoshoot at Connaught Water went very well.

The photographer thought I should sit in her car and stay warm so that I didn't have a red nose in the photos Laughing so I dicked about on my phone for 2 hours, while the others went down to the waters' edge.

No loos in that bit of the forest, just a car park. I dashed off to the local pub ont bike, dropped the kids etc etc and dashed back again.

Then I just had to put on me tracky bottoms and vest, go down by the pond (very pleasant, rather brisk, ducks, swans, geese) and jog a bit on the spot and up and down about five yards in front of the photographer. A chap I was doing pix with yesterday also came along and they photographed us together "jogging" along.

I had a brief glimpse of some of the photos and I look stupidly healthy, hair flying in the wind ( Laughing ) - not my usual couch-potatoey self.

I think its advertising for a health app to get tubsters back off their arse, assortment of variously diverse peeps looking happy whilst doing healthy-looking things. I barely got myself out of breath.

And that was it!
Hard work! Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought 6 things in Poundland, only got charged £5. God bless minimum wage Dance!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the 11 year old dynamo light on my bicycle with a state of the art one. If only this type of lighting was mandatory on all bicycles they'd all be seen without dazzling. It's got a fantastic light output but a beam pattern like a car headlight; all on the road, none in the eyes of other motorists. Thumbs Up It's only 2.4W (dynamos are a fixed 3W output, with 0.6W of it going to the rear light) but yet somehow produces plenty of light to see.

Pic from the manufacturer:

https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/100%20Lux,%20IQ-X.jpg

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Replaced the 11 year old dynamo light on my bicycle with a state of the art one. If only this type of lighting was mandatory on all bicycles they'd all be seen without dazzling. It's got a fantastic light output but a beam pattern like a car headlight; all on the road, none in the eyes of other motorists. Thumbs Up It's only 2.4W (dynamos are a fixed 3W output, with 0.6W of it going to the rear light) but yet somehow produces plenty of light to see.

Pic from the manufacturer:

https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/100%20Lux,%20IQ-X.jpg

Personally I think all new bikes should be sold with lights functioning up to a standard.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you'd have to mandate beam alignment so as to not dazzle oncoming vehicles, i.e. an MoT for push-bikes Thinking

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The problem is you'd have to mandate beam alignment so as to not dazzle oncoming vehicles, i.e. an MoT for push-bikes Thinking

Pretty sure that effectively happens in Germany, albeit managed with on the spot fines rather than testing.

I do agree though that all bikes should be required to be sold with minimum standard lights (to be seen, rather than see by). I pay a lot of attention to ensuring I am visible without being dazzling, while still throwing enough light on the road to see by. Probably the majority of cyclists I see on my commute unfortunately do not fall into that category, many without any lights at all, despite the fact you can get really rather good bike lights in Aldi for a fiver.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this site. Tells you if the ice cream machine is working or not in any particular McDonalds.

https://www.mc-broken.co.uk/

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly me, but my partner has got a work promotion. With it comes a £12k pay rise!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
Not exactly me, but my partner has got a work promotion. With it comes a £12k pay rise!

You're dumped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a little drive with the senior consort on Saturday, the plan was to go to Deal, but parking was shite (possibly not helped by the car being very large Laughing )

So we ended up going down to St Margaret's Bay which was WAY nicer than Deal. Bit of a journey down a windey road, but well worth it at the bottom, tucked right in amongst the White Cliffs round the corner from Dover. Lovely. I grew up in the Auckland version of places like St Margaret's.

And the pub ("The Coastguard") was extremely nice. Its so close to France that my phone signal jumped to Roaming, wtAf

Baked brie with bread and some onion marmalade in front of roaring fire, plus merlot. Mustn't grumble Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 34 of 101